PDA

View Full Version : (BR)How Oklahoma Outcoached Texas For Football Supremacy in The Big 12

oudavid1
2/28/2011, 12:37 PM
It’s no secret the Texas Longhorns run the show when it comes to the Big 12’s almighty dollar. They have the highest-paid staff; they receive the lion’s share of conference revenue; and now they have their own television network.

So while Texas is successfully running a program akin to a Fortune 500 company, why is OU—the hated neighbor to the north—dominating the Big 12 on the field?

It’s not as though OU has better athletes. Texas lands at or near the top of the recruiting rankings every year.

It’s not as though the Longhorns are void of recent success either. Texas boasts nine 10-win seasons in a row from 2001-09 and a national championship in 2005.

Yet the Sooners own more conference championships (seven) than Texas (three) and are the prohibitive favorite to win the conference next year. Meanwhile, the Longhorns are licking the wounds of their first losing season under Mack Brown and overhauling their assistant coaching staff.

So why do the Sooners seem to be one step ahead of the Longhorns for football supremacy in the Big 12? Ultimately, the difference is in the coaching.

One caveat to the previous statement: Bob Stoops and Mack Brown are two of the all-time great coaches in all of college football, but Stoops has more skins on the wall in the Big 12...

Here’s why.

Physical toughness

From day one in Norman, Stoops infused physical toughness on both sides of the ball. His defenses stop the run and pressure the quarterback. His offenses establish the run to open up the passing game.

Much like the Sooners, Brown’s defenses stop the run and attack the quarterback. But on offense, the Longhorns at times lack the ability to dominate the trenches against top-level competition. Instead of attacking defenses at the line of scrimmage, the Longhorns often fall in love with the finesse of the spread offense.

Offensive identity

Brown tends to vacillate between offensive identities based upon the strengths of his quarterbacks. From the pro-style sets during the Major Applewhite/Chris Simms era to the spread option of Vince Young and Colt McCoy—and back again to the pro-style sets under current starting quarterback Garrett Gilbert—Texas has not maintained a clear, distinct offensive direction.

Case in point: Gilbert was a 5-star pro-style quarterback out of Lake Travis High School in Austin. But Gilbert’s 5-star skill set doesn’t fit Texas’ spread offense identity, perfected by his All-American predecessors Young and McCoy.

Consequently, Brown is overhauling a previously dominant offensive system that doesn’t need repair for a quarterback that probably should be playing for a team more adept to utilizing his talents, like Alabama, USC or (dare I say it) OU.

Conversely, Sam Bradford—OU’s former Heisman Trophy quarterback and top overall pick in last year’s draft—was a 3-star quarterback out of Putnam City, Oklahoma. Bradford wasn’t a prized recruit out of high school, but he was perfect for OU’s system. He had size, a solid arm and made good reads.

Stoops’ staff assessment and development of Bradford paid dividends for the Sooners, producing one of the highest-scoring offenses ever, two Big 12 championships and a BCS championship appearance.

Offensive line scheme

A former NFL offensive lineman with close ties to the Texas program said Brown’s staff has done a poor job developing its offensive linemen for the pro-style run game.

Texas recruits highly-touted linemen but doesn’t focus on lower body strength and conditioning like it should. He said too much emphasis is going into bench-press numbers instead of squats, and linemen can’t get the necessary leverage needed to drive defenders off the ball.

This makes sense considering the style of offense Texas ran prior to last year. The Longhorns’ blocking schemes are designed to react to the movement of the defense and create a pocket for the passer. Offensive linemen block from an upright position, so even designed running plays don’t have the same physical impact as firing out of a three-point stance.

The system works when mobile quarterbacks such as Young and McCoy serve as primary ball carriers, but it becomes a huge problem when those same linemen, accustomed to blocking in the spread offense, transition to a pro-style offense with a quarterback under center who is not a runner, such as Gilbert.

The Sooners, on the other hand, utilize multiple offensive sets that require offensive linemen to fire out of the three-point stance. Additionally, OU often lines up multiple tight ends and uses a fullback to create more holes for the ball carrier. While the Sooners also employ elements of the shotgun spread, their success hinges on their ability to establish a physical run game.

For what deficiencies it may currently have, Texas is still Texas—and one bad season isn’t going to ruin Mack Brown’s legacy in Austin. A year from now we may very well be talking about another 10-win season for the Longhorns.

However, the sense is the Sooners are pulling away from their Red River rival, and the new-look Big 12 may take on the same old Sooner-dominated pecking order even with Texas calling the shots behind the scenes.

Link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/618026-texas-may-call-the-shots-but-ou-is-still-the-top-dog-in-the-revamped-big-12)

usaosooner
2/28/2011, 12:45 PM
BR is the suck.. Forward the idea to Bohls, he'll rehash it & then we can watch the 'Horns head explode

yermom
2/28/2011, 12:56 PM
a year ago, that's going to be a different article. Texas managed to squander the 4/5 years they beat us, comparatively, that's why they don't have the Big 12 championships

i'm not sure i buy the "physical running" bit either. we've struggled quite a bit against good teams, even bad ones at times to punch the ball in. they had Cedric Benson running pretty solid against everyone but us...

jumperstop
2/28/2011, 01:05 PM
This is nothing new to sooner fans

BoulderSooner79
2/28/2011, 01:10 PM
The conclusion that we have had better overall coaching is correct. However, I doubt many folks here would agree with the physical O-line theory. And we have only run to setup the pass and a few occasions since going no-huddle in '08. '07 was the last time we could truly line-up and successfully power run.

ashley
2/28/2011, 08:19 PM
No huddle has nothing to do with it.

BoulderSooner79
2/28/2011, 08:22 PM
No huddle has nothing to do with it.

Could be - just making a correlation. The '07 line was pretty much the same as the '08 one as far as players, but different results.

silverwheels
2/28/2011, 09:37 PM
Bleacher Report blows. Putnam City is a school district, not an actual city, and Bradford went to Putnam City North. Also, we didn't have one of the highest-scoring offenses ever, we had the highest-scoring offense of all time.

picasso
2/28/2011, 09:45 PM
The conclusion that we have had better overall coaching is correct. However, I doubt many folks here would agree with the physical O-line theory. And we have only run to setup the pass and a few occasions since going no-huddle in '08. '07 was the last time we could truly line-up and successfully power run.

The games we've won against Texas we've managed to move the ball on the ground.

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 12:25 AM
The games we've won against Texas we've managed to move the ball on the ground.

I totally agree - probably a matter of definitions here. I'm talking about lining up in a power formation and basically saying "we're going to run; we dare you to stop us". Stanford was the extreme example of that in '10. We had lots of yards on the ground in '08, but not via the definition above. Personally, I don't care how things get done as long as the offense is effective. In '08 with the threat of Gresham along with Sam throwing the ball, we didn't need a great power running game to have great stats in the redzone. Last year, our redzone stats were not so hot and a little more brute force would have been nice.

King Barry's Back
3/1/2011, 07:26 AM
a year ago, that's going to be a different article. Texas managed to squander the 4/5 years they beat us, comparatively, that's why they don't have the Big 12 championships

i'm not sure i buy the "physical running" bit either. we've struggled quite a bit against good teams, even bad ones at times to punch the ball in. they had Cedric Benson running pretty solid against everyone but us...

I don't think author is definitively arguing that OU is always successful in "blowing people off the line." I think his main point is that our O-line philosophy calls for physical line play, while TX's does not.

Assuming what he says is correct, from year-to-year and game-to-game, the OU and TX lines will have varying degrees of success, but he is arguing that year-in-and-year-out the more physical line will have more success against more opponents, more often. At least that's how I see it.

And anyway, this is really all completely irrelevant now. Are any of TX's coach's back next year (besides Brown, himself)? They will be a new team. HOpefully, they will still suck.

King Barry's Back
3/1/2011, 07:30 AM
Bleacher Report blows. Putnam City is a school district, not an actual city, and Bradford went to Putnam City North.

Honestly, who cares?

Doesn't Bleacher Report carry articles by "fans in the stands"? If so, hard to say that they "blow," although individual writers may blow plenty.

oudavid1
3/1/2011, 07:44 AM
Putnam City North blows.

FIFY

Just kidding. Proud Alum!

Subbing there today actually.

silverwheels
3/1/2011, 09:03 AM
Honestly, who cares?

Doesn't Bleacher Report carry articles by "fans in the stands"? If so, hard to say that they "blow," although individual writers may blow plenty.

Bleacher Report carries articles by random fans with little to no journalism experience and usually little to no knowledge on sports or reposts articles from legit sports sites. BR blows.

stoopified
3/1/2011, 02:46 PM
Bleacher Report carries articles by random fans with little to no journalism experience and usually little to no knowledge on sports or reposts articles from legit sports sites. BR blows.So your saying that is where theOklahoman sports staff was hired?

silverwheels
3/1/2011, 07:41 PM
So your saying that is where theOklahoman sports staff was hired?

Buuuuuurn.

And yeah, probably.

Sooner70
3/5/2011, 11:23 AM
OUdavid1 good post. Thanks. I'll forward to our forlorn Longhorn friends, since they endlessly seem to be looking for answers, particularly after 5-7.

badger
3/5/2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't bother to read the article since it's Bleacher Report (sorry, but it's BR, nothing else needs to be said). Texas recruiting has sunk Texas.

1- Appearing to be recruiting favors to choice high school programs.

2- Appearing to be out of fear of getting shunned later, only trying to recruit in-state talent.

3- Appearing to be out of sheer laziness, getting commitments from high school juniors and players that turn from studs to pillsbury doughboys.

It all comes back to recruiting. Back scratching, fear of rejection, lazy recruiting.

CrescentCityOUAlum
3/22/2011, 07:26 PM
I can't say that I believe Mack Brown is one of the all-time coaching greats. His record at UT is very good, but when the almanac is published, his records at UNC will be in there too. Won't even be in Stoops' ballpark when it comes to winning percentage.

And he has 2 conference titles in what 14 seasons. Those yahoos over on hornfans say otherwise, but who are they kidding, conference titles matter.

Also, the ONLY reason Mack's team won a national title is because they had Superman. That team was no more talented than any of those Applewhite/Simms teams, but it had Superman. He was a great adlib qb to be sure, and that's how they got their first title in over 30 years, it was not superior coaching that beat USC that night. UT was lucky to win that game. Don't get me wrong, they went out and won the title, but it wasn't because of coaching prowess.

Anyhow, I just don't personally see Mack as one of the all-time greats.

OhU1
3/23/2011, 10:43 AM
This is all bogus. Mack himself said 2010 was "on him" and that he did a bad job because he was moping around last year after the Alabama game. And then of course "if Colt could have played"........:mack:

Jacie
3/27/2011, 05:14 PM
This thread has been noticed, noticed and the starter post used to start a thread over on whornfans.com (they may not post here but at least one sa*en lurks, copies and pastes!). Unlike to this thread, over there it has generated four pages worth of replies in less than a week. Yes, friends, they do obsess over Oklahoma . . .