PDA

View Full Version : The Last Doughboy Dies

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2011, 05:20 AM
The last American WWI vet has died. RIP:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/28/veteran-wwi-dies-w-va-age-110/?test=faces

texaspokieokie
2/28/2011, 09:16 AM
My Dad was in WWI., but he died 31 yrs ago.

like Buckles, he was born in MO & raised in OK. he got in late & didn't leave the US.

Was too old for WWII, plus had 2 kids & worked in oil field. those were enough to keep him out of military.

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 09:49 AM
My grandpa on my dad's side served in WWI. My brother still has the 03 Springfield he brought home from "over there." Four generations in our family have killed big game with that rifle. My nephew hunted with it on my place this past deer season. It's pretty much his now since he's the big hunter in that generation of my family's offspring. Someday I hope he passes it on to his son or nephew. I worry though. Today's generation of young people don't seem to have the same sentimental values as we did/do. Find out it's worth some $$ and they'll sell it in a heartbeat. Bums me out.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 09:58 AM
We still have my great great great grandfather's rifled musket from the civil war.

It was cool as heck going into show and tell as an elementary kid showing that thing off.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 09:59 AM
And RIP to this fine soldier

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 10:04 AM
We still have my great great great grandfather's rifled musket from the civil war.

It was cool as heck going into show and tell as an elementary kid showing that thing off.

Nowadays you'd be suspended for life if you carried that thing in.

My favorite show and tell item was a bobcat hide that had a bullet hole right betwixt the eyes. Pop **** him with a .22 from about 5 feet in 1964. Used to be a LOT more bobcats around than there are now, and a lot less deer. Nowadays it's reversed.

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2011, 10:12 AM

My favorite show and tell item was a bobcat hide that had a bullet hole right betwixt the eyes. Pop **** him with a .22 from about 5 feet in 1964. Used to be a LOT more bobcats around than there are now, and a lot less deer. Nowadays it's reversed.

Maybe we need high fences and breeding programs for bobcats. :D

delhalew
2/28/2011, 11:29 AM
110 yrs old. What you want to bet he didn't eat many hot pockets or drink from a lot of plastic bottles?

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 11:59 AM
My favorite show and tell item was a bobcat hide that had a bullet hole right betwixt the eyes.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 03:46 PM

Oh yeah...my grandpa had a couple of those things stuffed...Still see one every once in a while

soonercruiser
2/28/2011, 11:06 PM
RIP, the "Great Generation"!

This one ain't.....! (great)

A Sooner in Texas
2/28/2011, 11:13 PM
My granddad was in both WWI (France) and WWII (Dutch Harbor, Alaska). My dad still has his WWI dress saber on the mantle; I have his wool Eisenhower jacket.

And Dean, you'll appreciate this ... my grandfather lived in Russellville, Ark. - he knew Dizzy and Daffy Dean, and gave Dizzy the train fare so he could try out for the Cards.