PDA

View Full Version : Jammell Flemming was suspended for........

SoonerDan74012
2/27/2011, 09:59 PM
academic misconduct. Not smart kiddo.

Losing Jamell Fleming stings, but there is reason for hope
Jamell Fleming will miss spring football after committing academic misconduct, but Owasso native Aaron Colvin is a rising star and could make Fleming's loss sting a little less.

By Jake Trotter Oklahoman Comment on this article 1
Published: February 27, 2011

Oklahoma could be without its All-Big 12 cornerback next season.

Oklahoma's Aaron Colvin (14) breaks up a pass for Missouri's Kendial Lawrence (4) during the second half of the college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the University of Missouri Tigers (MU) on Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010, in Columbia, Mo. Oklahoma lost the game 36-27. Photo by Chris Landsberger, The Oklahoman ORG XMIT: KOD

Multimedia
Photoview all photos
Losing Jamell Fleming stings, but there is reason for hope
NewsOK Related Articles

* OU football notebook: Another kicker on the way
02/27/2011 Michael Hill, a place-kicker out of Tarpon Springs, Fla., has accepted a preferred walk-on invitation from the Sooners and plans to enroll at OU for the...

And academic misconduct is the reason, according to an OU administrator, who says Jamell Fleming has been suspended for the spring and summer semesters. Bob Stoops confirmed via statement Friday that Fleming is not enrolled at OU.

According to the university handbook, a suspension of this magnitude for academic misconduct comes from “willful intent, e.g. cheating from concealed notes on a midterm or final examination, altering a major assignment for re-grading, submitting all or substantial amounts of another student's work as one's own, or intentionally plagiarizing substantial portions of a term paper from online sources.”

Fleming, the source believes, could still return to the program for the fall semester. But he would need to take classes elsewhere between now and then to be eligible. But that's also assuming OU allows him back.

This isn't the first time Fleming has missed a spring semester. Two years ago, he had to leave OU — and missed spring practice — for academic reasons, but took classes at a junior college and was reinstated before the season.

This latest scenario, however, is far more serious, and Fleming has a long road ahead before he gets back on the field for the Sooners next season.

That's the bad news. The good news is that OU has a rising star at corner who's been waiting in the wings. And while all-Big 12 corners aren't easily replaced, Owasso native Aaron Colvin gives the Sooners reason to believe they could still be solid at corner should Fleming not make it back to campus.

As a true freshman last year, Colvin showed plenty of promise, drawing praise from the coaching staff from the opening week of camp. In the first half at Cincinnati, after Fleming sprained an ankle, Colvin came in and held his own in coverage; he also finished with seven tackles.

The following week against Texas in his first and only start, Colvin played like a veteran, and made several one-on-one tackles in the open field while again providing sturdy coverage.

Losing Fleming for the spring stings, and losing him for the year would really sting. But Colvin offers hope that Fleming's potential absence next season will be a sting the Sooners can overcome.

Read more: http://newsok.com/losing-jamell-fleming-stings-but-there-is-reason-for-hope/article/3544538#ixzz1FDd079KC

Ruf/Nek7
2/27/2011, 10:05 PM
academic misconduct. Not smart kiddo.

Thanks for the update. I was really curious as to why. Sounds like he got what he deserved but unfortunate nonetheless for us. Colvin will be good and he will have plenty of time to get needed reps in at practice.

EatLeadCommie
2/27/2011, 10:13 PM
Huge loss, though I'm happy to read we may have another kicker on the way.

soonerfan69
2/27/2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds like Stoops needs to tighten it up the boys are messing around too much

BoulderSooner79
2/27/2011, 10:34 PM
Bummer about Flemming, but some kids are just not academically cut out for college. Glad it happened now so Colvin and the other CBs get the full benefit of spring practice w/o sharing reps with Flemming.

The kicker thing caught my eye as well ;)

oudavid1
2/27/2011, 10:36 PM
He has shown he dosnt want to be there. he shouldnt be playing football this fall regardless. So sad.

gaylordfan1
2/27/2011, 11:04 PM
So, not the snitch. Man, I hope he gets his s*** together. Even if he makes it back in the fall, I doubt he makes the starting line-up. Where does he go from here?

Leroy Lizard
2/27/2011, 11:31 PM
So Flemming cheated AND finked? :D

Sounds like Stoops needs to tighten it up the boys are messing around too much

Not sure Stoops, or any coach, can do anything about this other than not recruiting these types of players.

gaylordfan1
2/27/2011, 11:34 PM
So Flemming cheated AND finked? :D

Not sure Stoops, or any coach, can do anything about this other than not recruiting these types of players.

So, academically inept recruits?

Leroy Lizard
2/27/2011, 11:52 PM

I have another name for them.

picasso
2/28/2011, 12:25 AM
Dream said tonight there's a 60% chance he'll be back in the fall.

agoo758
2/28/2011, 12:32 AM

He's not "academically inept". He is a cheater and a plagarist. Anyone who can play football for a major university is smart enough to at least get "C's" across the board, or at least smart enough to not to break serious academic rules.

Mike Stoops
2/28/2011, 12:41 AM
What's the deal with Gabe Lynn? I remember watching him at Jenks thinking he would be pretty good but he can't get on the field for some reason.

sooner59
2/28/2011, 12:43 AM
He's not "academically inept". He is a cheater and a plagarist. Anyone who can play football for a major university is smart enough to at least get "C's" across the board, or at least smart enough to not to break serious academic rules.

Do you really think Vince Young could make all C's at UT? Mack was probably doing his fingerpainting homework for him. :D

47straight
2/28/2011, 12:56 AM
intentionally plagiarizing substantial portions of a term paper from online sources.”

I'm willing to bet this is the issue.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 02:30 AM

Like Dexter Manley?

HBick
2/28/2011, 02:41 AM
I'm willing to bet this is the issue.

I'd say that's a safe bet. Every paper submitted through Desire2Learn, OU's online student website for classes, goes through a third party service, TurnItIn.com. TurnItIn runs every paper through an ever growing database that contains papers written in the 1970's and forward.

Although it can cause "false positives" in the cases of using longer quotations etc... it's pretty accurate, hence why almost every major university uses it.

Then again, he could of been caught cheating on a test, which is actually pretty common in the days of cell phones. But we'll probably never know, and hopefully he can get his act together, he really did have a great season.

King Barry's Back
2/28/2011, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't beat him up too much. He has a history of struggling with grades. He's desperate to stay eligible. If he does his time and the school and coaches welcome him back, I'm willing to forget it.

If the school and/or coaches say no, I'm willing to forget him, too.

Either way I am good, but I hate the hit to our depth.

jkjsooner
2/28/2011, 09:47 AM
I am not at all defending Flemming as academic misconduct is a serious matter but I will point out the moral difference between what he did and what Cam Newton did.

Cheating harms the academic integrity of the university and by extension slightly devalues the degrees of the people who don't cheat. It's not a victimless crime but no single individual is severely harmed. Unfortunately Newton took it a step further and wrote his name on other student's papers which could have had a direct and severe consequence on those innocent students. This shows a level of disregard towards your fellow students that far outweighs simply cheating or plagarism.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't beat him up too much. He has a history of struggling with grades. He's desperate to stay eligible. If he does his time and the school and coaches welcome him back, I'm willing to forget it.

OU is not a continuation high school. If he really can't handle the academic load, then it's time for him to move on.

sperry
2/28/2011, 11:31 AM
I'm also guessing this isn't his first rodeo regarding cheating. I was a member of OUs "Honor Council", which is the body that commences hearings when a student contends an academic misconduct charge, and also that sets the punishment (subject to the approval of the provost) for those who admit to academic misconduct. When I was on that body, which was while Stoops was here, a number of football players were caught and admitted to cheating on tests or plagiarizing papers. Exactly none of them were ever suspended from school. Either they've decided to really crack down on athletes cheating in the past few years, or Fleming is a repeat offender.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 11:49 AM
I'm also guessing this isn't his first rodeo regarding cheating. I was a member of OUs "Honor Council", which is the body that commences hearings when a student contends an academic misconduct charge, and also that sets the punishment (subject to the approval of the provost) for those who admit to academic misconduct. When I was on that body, which was while Stoops was here, a number of football players were caught and admitted to cheating on tests or plagiarizing papers. Exactly none of them were ever suspended from school. Either they've decided to really crack down on athletes cheating in the past few years, or Fleming is a repeat offender.

What was the typical punishment of an ordinary student caught (say) cheating on an exam?

MrJimBeam
2/28/2011, 11:58 AM
What was the typical punishment of an ordinary student caught (say) cheating on an exam?

Double secret probabtion

FtwTxSooner
2/28/2011, 12:01 PM
I'm also curious as to the whole timing of "Honor Council's" decision on the suspension. If this happened before the Fiesta Bowl, he had no business playing in that game whether he was technically eligible or not.

jumperstop
2/28/2011, 12:02 PM
I never felt like I had to cheat while at OU. Easier to just study and do the work. Of course my free time was spent playing video games and getting ****ed up. They have ****ty practice, then working out, so probably less free time, less time to study.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 12:10 PM
I'm also curious as to the whole timing of "Honor Council's" decision on the suspension. If this happened before the Fiesta Bowl, he had no business playing in that game whether he was technically eligible or not.

If he had been caught in my class cheating, the OU athletic department probably would not have know about for it for quite some time. I don't report to the athletic department and I would never disclose the player's academic record to them even if they asked.

KantoSooner
2/28/2011, 12:24 PM
To the thread at large:

Do you feel that cheating is more or less prevalent now than 10 or 20 or more years ago?

I ask because I really wasn't aware of any when I was a student (perhaps I was naive, but it just never seemed pratical or worthwhile), and now I'm aware of a neighbor's kid who seems to tap into internet papers ghost written for him about once a semester or so. (He's an idiot because he uses his credit card to pay for them....and a copy of the bill is sent to his parents).

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 12:30 PM
To the thread at large:

Do you feel that cheating is more or less prevalent now than 10 or 20 or more years ago?

I ask because I really wasn't aware of any when I was a student (perhaps I was naive, but it just never seemed pratical or worthwhile), and now I'm aware of a neighbor's kid who seems to tap into internet papers ghost written for him about once a semester or so. (He's an idiot because he uses his credit card to pay for them....and a copy of the bill is sent to his parents).

It's more prevalent now for writing term papers, but less so on tests.

Message to instructors: Pretend that every student has a free account on a term paper delivery service. Plan your syllabus around it; don't try to fight a losing battle.

BoulderSooner79
2/28/2011, 01:05 PM
Off topic, but this reminds me of a recent report I saw on college cheating. The authors determined that students in MBA programs were to most likely to cheat of all majors. I found that interesting given the high ethics that we see out of wall street and the financial sector.

Chiliman
2/28/2011, 01:31 PM
He has shown he dosnt want to be there. he shouldnt be playing football this fall regardless. So sad.

Yep. Second time he's faced academic problems. Not the first time caught cheating either per an excellent source.

NorCal Sooner
2/28/2011, 01:39 PM
To the thread at large:

The same. It was around all of the time when I was in college, but some of it was kind of on the border of cheating but not really cheating.

KantoSooner
2/28/2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the insight. Kind of depressing, though. I felt like I was actually learning things in college and thus felt that cheating was cheating myself. I suppose it would be different if you were just going through the motions in order to pad your resume.

BoulderSooner79
2/28/2011, 01:53 PM
In a way, I do feel players that have the talent and desire to play pro football, but have no interest/aptitude for college. If it were baseball, they could go through the farm system right out of high school. But my sympathies don't go very far because if the goal is that important to a person, they will figure out what they have to do to achieve it. College ball is the established path to the pros in both basketball and football and the players must realize that going in. Anyone should be able to find 12 credits hours they can pass if they want to play that badly.

jkjsooner
2/28/2011, 03:47 PM
The same. It was around all of the time when I was in college, but some of it was kind of on the border of cheating but not really cheating.

Guys would often copy homework assignments or work on them in groups. (I didn't do this much at all because I never really hung out with guys I went to class with.) These were usually in classes where the cumulative homework grade was about 5% of the total grade. Sometimes group work was considered okay by the professors and sometimes it wasn't clear.

I never ever considered cheating on a test or a paper. That's just crazy. I don't think I've cheated on a test since maybe 8th grade. I did have a moron who kept asking me for answers on a Chemistry test my frosh year...

josh09
2/28/2011, 04:24 PM
Aaron Colvin.

sooner59
2/28/2011, 04:39 PM

Having been force-fed academic misconduct information in each and every class, and having read the materials they give out, it seems that it has to be pretty bad for them to up and kick you out of school. Either you basically do some big time cheating scam/ring/etc or be a repeat offender. Normally for a first time, I believe they can scare you straight by putting you on academic probation, failing you in your class, put it on your record, etc. Now a particular professor could go all out to get the student kicked out of school I guess. I suspect Fleming is a repeat offender.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 05:02 PM
Off topic, but this reminds me of a recent report I saw on college cheating. The authors determined that students in MBA programs were to most likely to cheat of all majors. I found that interesting given the high ethics that we see out of wall street and the financial sector.

I would have guess pre-med.

Culturally, I have found middle-easterners to have the biggest problem with cheating.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 05:03 PM
Having been force-fed academic misconduct information in each and every class, and having read the materials they give out, it seems that it has to be pretty bad for them to up and kick you out of school. Either you basically do some big time cheating scam/ring/etc or be a repeat offender. Normally for a first time, I believe they can scare you straight by putting you on academic probation, failing you in your class, put it on your record, etc. Now a particular professor could go all out to get the student kicked out of school I guess. I suspect Fleming is a repeat offender.

That goes along with my experience. A first-time cheater gets an F and a meeting with the school administration.

cccasooner2
2/28/2011, 05:11 PM
Yep. Second time he's faced academic problems. Not the first time caught cheating either per an excellent source.

oudavid1?

sooner518
2/28/2011, 05:17 PM
I would have guess pre-med.

Culturally, I have found middle-easterners to have the biggest problem with cheating.

just curious, are you a professor? at OU?

also, how do you combat/plan around the fact that cheating on term papers is "a given"?

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 05:33 PM
just curious, are you a professor? at OU?

At one time. No longer

also, how do you combat/plan around the fact that cheating on term papers is "a given"?

Don't assign them. Term papers are nearly worthless as a learning tool.

But that's just me. And other profs hate my guts for it. (Well, that and other things.)

budbarrybob
2/28/2011, 05:48 PM
I think everyone is missing the Obvious... We're DOOMED!!!!!

EatLeadCommie
2/28/2011, 05:51 PM
I think everyone is missing the Obvious... We're DOOMED!!!!!

Not doomed, but Flemming is a bigger loss than many think. Our secondary will be very green without him and Carter back there.

fwsooner22
2/28/2011, 05:58 PM
Back in the day there was a student court ( or something like that ) for repeat offenders. That court made a recommendation and the faculty made the final ruling. I sat on one of the juries once. It took some time for the process to come to completion. That was a long time ago though.

KantoSooner
2/28/2011, 06:40 PM
At one time. No longer

Don't assign them. Term papers are nearly worthless as a learning tool.

But that's just me. And other profs hate my guts for it. (Well, that and other things.)

just curious, but what tools do you use to test for knowledge of the subject matter? (it might also be interesting to know what subject you teach).

Since you obviously have some pride in your own ability to express yourself in written form, how do you propose to teach people that skill....without forcing the little darlings to write?

Serious question, I'm not being snide.

SoonerOX
2/28/2011, 07:34 PM
Huge loss, though I'm happy to read we may have another kicker on the way.

And better that we are not gambling another ship on a kicker...

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2011, 07:51 PM
just curious, but what tools do you use to test for knowledge of the subject matter? (it might also be interesting to know what subject you teach).

Since you obviously have some pride in your own ability to express yourself in written form, how do you propose to teach people that skill....without forcing the little darlings to write?

Serious question, I'm not being snide.

I take your question seriously.

They write, but nothing large-scale.

Assigning a large-scale writing project to turn in at then end of the year teaches them nothing, other than writing sucks and to be dreaded.

I taught a course in grant writing at a local community college. No large scale project involved at all, and most of my colleagues never understood why. But writing is a process, and you have to know the process more than anything else. So I test them on the process.

"Show me your graphic organizer. How did you organize it, and why? Did you organize it to meet the grant maker's needs? In what way?"

"As a group, write a paragraph describing where you would go to look for resources for this grant."

"Write a one-page paper on wordsmithing and editing -- state its importance and the method you would employ to finalize the sample grant I handed out earlier."

"Here is a web site for a federal grant. I handed out a collection of relevant papers. Given the information stated in the RFA, get in groups and concoct a project that would satisfy the grantmaker's needs. Write an abstract describing your proposed project."

"You have a client that wants to fund a project. Describe in one page the process you would use to find funding sources for this client. Then apply your ideas to the real-life example I just handed out to you in class."

"You are not sure what the grantmaker wants in the grant. What would you do in such a case? Rank your ideas in terms of likely feasibility/effectiveness."

Large-scale writing projects consume tons of time and teach very little. Throughout their academic careers, students end up writing 50 horrible 25-page reports and never learn how to go about doing it right. And instructors end up with a stack of papers two-feet tall that they cannot grade in time to provide adequate feedback.* So you handed them a rubric. So what? A rubric teaches nothing.

Along the same lines, take-home science projects are equally worthless, although that is more of a K-12 problem.

Okay, I'm off the soap box.

* Actually most of the feedback I have seen centers on minutiae -- grammar, punctuation, spelling. Pffft.