PDA

View Full Version : NO Moral victories...

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2011, 12:10 PM
ok...obviously it's been a rough couple of years...in bball....and I've voiced my opinion like everyone else on how Capel and the program.

As a former hs coach...and I'm sure like most of us...coached our kids until HS took over...I have a question for all...

...I KNEW my team and our abilities, limits, strengths, tendencies, etc. So when I see the other team, talked to the coach, knew their program I knew what my "chances" were to win. As ALWAYS I believed in my team but I was not blind. Of course I never told my kids that there was a small chance of winning and didn't coach like that but that is reality.

So with Capel..knowing most our talent is NOT up to STRONG D1 level..(not all the guys but our bottom 4-5 are not on par with most others)...are moral victories good enough right now?

I do hold him mostly responsible for the CF from last yr (he recruited those guys) and this yr. I will say this yr's team is more of a team, seems to play harder (not smarter)..and is keeping moral up..so it seems - none of us know what goes on in the locker room.

Not sure if 6-10 in conf (better than last yr) and MAYBE a 1st round win in the Big 12 will be good enough..guess it's an improvement and to be honest it's a 50/50 that will happen.

With Osby and the juco POST kid coming in next yr it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

guess I wanted to say sometimes a moral victory is all ya have...but is that good enough at OU?

MsProudSooner2
2/27/2011, 12:31 PM
guess I wanted to say sometimes a moral victory is all ya have...but is that good enough at OU?

For the short term, yes. Long term? No.

Reasonable people see that this team gives 100X better effort than last year's team. This is a starting point, but everyone expects improvement next year over this year.

stoopified
2/27/2011, 01:04 PM

Reasonable people see that this team gives 100X better effort than last year's team. This is a starting point, but everyone expects improvement next year over this year.Pretty much how I see things.

OU_Sooners75
2/27/2011, 01:44 PM

Reasonable people see that this team gives 100X better effort than last year's team. This is a starting point, but everyone expects improvement next year over this year.

Pretty much agree. But if we cannot improve next season, then we do need to get a new head coach. I don't think we should pull the trigger on firing Capel after this season. But that is just my opinion.

bigfatjerk
2/27/2011, 01:44 PM
CJ Washington had better numbers in JUCO than Goff has had. I think Goff is a backup post at best. I don't see him coming in and taking over as a star. I think we get around 15 points 7-8 boards with Osby which is basically a little better than what Cade is doing now. Next year we still have issues at guard and we still don't have a lot of size.

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2011, 08:51 PM
yeah...everyone brags about how Osby is tearing it up in practice...against the guys we got now...not sure that is saying a whole lot..and Goff..who knows..just like Washington...tearing it up in the juco league in Ks isn't that big of a deal...in my mind.

Guards will be a yr experienced...we'll see...

bigfatjerk
2/27/2011, 09:27 PM
yeah...everyone brags about how Osby is tearing it up in practice...against the guys we got now...not sure that is saying a whole lot..and Goff..who knows..just like Washington...tearing it up in the juco league in Ks isn't that big of a deal...in my mind.

Guards will be a yr experienced...we'll see...

Goff isn't really tearing up JUCO. He's got about 10 points and 10 boards. Which is okay but not tearing it up.

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2011, 09:30 PM
what about this Richard Peters...'12 recruit...so he doesn't show here til fall of 12 right? he's in some prep school...6'11 260...don't know much about him....

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2011, 09:31 PM
Goff isn't really tearing up JUCO. He's got about 10 points and 10 boards. Which is okay but not tearing it up.

lol....my bad..."tearing it up"...guess I meant he is listed as on one of the juco aa teams...isn't he? or thought he was...

Eielson
2/27/2011, 09:35 PM

10 boards sure sounds nice. I don't even care if he has no offensive game. We need people who can get rebounds.

bigfatjerk
2/27/2011, 11:53 PM
I think Washington averaged something like 15-10 at JUCO last year. I'll look up the exact numbers for him.

bigfatjerk
2/27/2011, 11:58 PM
CJ Washington's JUCO numbers were 20 points 12 rebounds.

Goff's numbers are 9 points, 6 rebounds.

yankee
2/28/2011, 01:13 AM
CJ Washington's JUCO numbers were 20 points 12 rebounds.

Goff's numbers are 9 points, 6 rebounds.

Goff is also averaging only around 20 MPG. What did CJ average?

NormanPride
2/28/2011, 01:51 PM
Why is he only getting those minutes?

bigfatjerk
2/28/2011, 01:53 PM
Exactly, it's not exactly a good thing if he's averaging 20 minutes a game at JUCO

badger
2/28/2011, 01:55 PM
A moral victory of a different sort:

If KU fans will bring 4-5k down to Norman, they would probably have twice as many for the first round of the NCAA's in March, hosted by Tulsa.

(crosses fingers) please please please let them come to Tulsa... please please please don't subject us to the Pokes if they get a miracle bid, any Texas school or even K-State, who probably wouldn't show up as well as the Rock Chalkers. Please please please save Tulsa's economy in just one weekend's time. please please please

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2011, 02:16 PM
badger..that is a DIFFERENT moral victory...LOL...they will travel to Tulsa for sure...they'll be the #1 seed over ut..

badger
2/28/2011, 02:28 PM
Not to derail the subject, but it was extremely disappointing to Tulsa organizers that the C-USA tourney ended with UTEP and Houston here in Tulsa a few years ago. The womens tourney was absolutely a non-draw event. They were bringing in elementary kids and free admission to everyone after one day.

The men's side had the local draw, TU, and the big-travelers, Memphis. Alas, Memphis went out in one round, and with it, the 2,000 or so butts in seats that team brought with it, which would have likely grown by the weekend. TU was out after a few games I think.

It was really really a letdown for the local sports organizers. It basically meant Tulsa would never have a chance at landing the Big 12 tourney. This NCAA tourney event this year is make-or-break. I want KU this year, not because the thought of being surrounded by blue again after this past weekend is exactly a wonderful experience, but because if we get butts in the seats this time, we'll get the tournament again in future seasons... future seasons when OU will be good again and then THEY can bring the thousands of fans into town :D

SoonerHoops
2/28/2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with MsProud

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2011, 11:18 PM
It basically meant Tulsa would never have a chance at landing the Big 12 tourney.

no offense but WHY would Tulsa even get a shot at the Big 12? Guess it'd be different if there was no major university there...(Uni of Tulsa) that was NOT part of the Big 12....I find it kind of strange...KC/OKC are more appropriate imho...not baggin on Tulsa...

yankee
2/28/2011, 11:20 PM
Why is he only getting those minutes?

Exactly, it's not exactly a good thing if he's averaging 20 minutes a game at JUCO

I think it's more of a JUCO thing than a Goff thing. A lot of guys trying to get schollies so coaches like to spread the minutes out.

bigfatjerk
3/1/2011, 02:13 AM
That's true in AAU. Not really true in most JUCOs. Not true at this one looking at the stats. Because of the AAU and Prep Schools doing this JUCOs pretty much only get the guys that don't get great grades in HS and couldn't make it to college or they are late bloomers and there's several other situations. You don't see them spreading minutes around. Hutchinson CC plays about 7 guys mostly. It looks like Goff is the 6th man most of the year although he's started some too.

OUmillenium
3/1/2011, 09:49 AM
Our guard play will be much more experienced overall to start season next year = should win the games we are favored, no Chaminade style losses

badger
3/1/2011, 10:08 AM
KC and Dallas don't have Big 12 universities in those respective towns either, but have tons of alumni around. The same could be said for Tulsa (although admittedly, they are mostly Aggie alums, argh).

If Tulsa had a strong showing locally, I think the Big 12 would have at least considered Tulsa for the Big 12 tourney in the future. We have the venues for it. Alas, our tourneys had more empty seats than LNC usually does :(

PS: TU might be a Div. 1 school, but it is the smallest in Div. 1 football. It's be like saying we shouldn't have it in Dallas because SMU is a major university in another conference :D