PDA

View Full Version : V. Young vs OU

Dan Thompson
2/26/2011, 12:11 PM
What was his record against OU and what OU QB did he play against?

Jacie
2/26/2011, 12:27 PM
He came in as a freshman in the 2003 blowout. He managed to get the whorns inside the OU 5-yard line on the possession but fumbled the ball away.
He also had a pick for a Sooner TD.

In 2004, OU shut out sa*et so no points for Vinnie that game.

Then there was the 2005 win for them during that National Championship season.

bluedogok
2/26/2011, 12:29 PM
2005 - UT-45 OU-12 - Rhett Bomar
2004 - OU-12 UT-0 - Jason White
2003 - OU-65 UT-13 - Jason White
The 2003 game was started by Chance Mock but Vince played as well.

TahoeSOONER
2/26/2011, 12:33 PM
Goose egged in 04'!

AlboSooner
2/26/2011, 12:38 PM
He beat the worst OU team in the Stoops era.

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 12:39 PM
I remember thinking after the '03 game that this VY kid is going to beat us, it's just a matter of how many times. Fortunately, he only got it done once and that was during our '05 rebuilding year when they could have beaten us with their 3rd string QB.

The '04 game was a weird one. We always over analyze and lament each loss, but not the wins (human nature, I guess). I'm not surprised we won that game, but I still am amazed we shut them out. They were a year away from a BCS title and it was our defense that would eventually show cracks late that season and yet we put a big goose egg on their side of the board. Not the pizzazz of the '00 and '03 thrashings, but between the shutout and the coming out party for AD, a very enjoyable contest.

Mike Stoops
2/26/2011, 01:09 PM
I remember thinking after the '03 game that this VY kid is going to beat us, it's just a matter of how many times. Fortunately, he only got it done once and that was during our '05 rebuilding year when they could have beaten us with their 3rd string QB.

The '04 game was a weird one. We always over analyze and lament each loss, but not the wins (human nature, I guess). I'm not surprised we won that game, but I still am amazed we shut them out. They were a year away from a BCS title and it was our defense that would eventually show cracks late that season and yet we put a big goose egg on their side of the board. Not the pizzazz of the '00 and '03 thrashings, but between the shutout and the coming out party for AD, a very enjoyable contest.

Completely agree on the 04 game. I have it on disc and watch it about once a year. Just a bizarre game. Turnovers from both teams. We just made fewer mistakes and had Peterson. Getting five in a row was pretty special. Did Switzer ever beat Texas five years in a row?

XingTheRubicon
2/26/2011, 01:12 PM
yes, '84 thru '88 ;)

Mike Stoops
2/26/2011, 01:17 PM
yes, '84 thru '88 ;)

Thanks didn't know. :)

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 01:19 PM
Completely agree on the 04 game. I have it on disc and watch it about once a year. Just a bizarre game. Turnovers from both teams. We just made fewer mistakes and had Peterson. Getting five in a row was pretty special. Did Switzer ever beat Texas five years in a row?

5-0-1 from '71-'76 if you count that Switzer was OC '71-'72 :)

Flagstaffsooner
2/26/2011, 01:28 PM
'84 was the 15-15 lie.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2011, 02:04 PM

we dominated them statistically in 04, but kept getting turned away inside the red zone (once by an INT that clearly bounced before it got to derrick johnson).

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 02:24 PM
we dominated them statistically in 04, but kept getting turned away inside the red zone (once by an INT that clearly bounced before it got to derrick johnson).

I know we did, I am just amazed we did. They were a year away from a title and had the core of the title team in place. We had lost a lot from that '03 defense which became a big problem for us down the stretch. I don't think the horns lost again that year (or the next) and yet we shut them out. I think maybe it was a combination of us getting in their heads since we had beaten them 4 in a row combined with the fact they had no answer for AD. Just weird and it makes me wonder "how'd we do that?". Don't worry, I'm not complainin' :) And I never get tired of watching the AD highlights from that one.

jersey sooner
2/26/2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

MyT Oklahoma
2/26/2011, 02:59 PM
'84 was the 15-15 lie.

We got Siscoed (sic) that year.

OUEngr1990
2/26/2011, 03:59 PM
He beat the worst OU team in the Stoops era.

I thought is was a tie between '99 and '09 as the worst teams in Stoops era since there were 5 loses those years. :confused: In '05 we only lost 4 games, but won our bowl game.

OUEngr1990
2/26/2011, 04:00 PM
Jason White vs Vince Young: 2-0

OUEngr1990
2/26/2011, 04:03 PM
I could watch this all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09gZHcZu8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry7_2nIGR6U

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 04:10 PM
I thought is was a tie between '99 and '09 as the worst teams in Stoops era since there were 5 loses those years. :confused: In '05 we only lost 4 games, but won our bowl game.

'05 was probably not our worst team overall, but definitely our most inexperienced. It probably started out the season the weakest and was the weakest one to face the horns. Especially considering we were missing our best player - AD. We improved a bunch by the end of the year.

SoCaliSooner
2/26/2011, 04:46 PM
Jason White vs Vince Young: 2-0

However, I've never seen a dude take over games like Vince did. The game against OSU when they were up something like 35-0 and Vince pretty much took over the game and worked OSU. Those Rose Bowl games against Michigan...and USC are classics. Dude stepped up in big games on the big stage...

JLEW1818
2/26/2011, 05:22 PM
and now he is working at a gas station

oudavid1
2/26/2011, 06:45 PM
I could watch this all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09gZHcZu8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry7_2nIGR6U

DID SOMEONE SAY ALL DAY?
http://i56.tinypic.com/33a8fvo.jpg

JLEW1818
2/26/2011, 07:15 PM
man Stoops needed that one bad

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 12:12 AM
However, I've never seen a dude take over games like Vince did. The game against OSU when they were up something like 35-0 and Vince pretty much took over the game and worked OSU. Those Rose Bowl games against Michigan...and USC are classics. Dude stepped up in big games on the big stage...

Yeah, but head to head is more important. The fact remains that VY has never beaten Jason White, and only beat OU in 2005 because we graduated 3/4 of the team the year before to the Pros. Vince young could scramble, Jason White could not (because of the 2 ACL's). But talking about passing efficiency, you have to give the nod to Jason White. It's hard to argue with a Heisman trophy winner vs a runner up and a wonderlic flunker..:D

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 12:15 AM
The game against OSU when they were up something like 35-0 and Vince pretty much took over the game and worked OSU.

I can tell your not from around these parts. Everyone knows that OSU is notorious for blowing leads and choking. Especially on the road (although i realize that was a home game for them).

OSU invented choking, you haven't really been a Sooner fan very long have you? :pop:

SoCaliSooner
2/27/2011, 12:39 AM
OSU invented choking, you haven't really been a Sooner fan very long have you? :pop:
Only 38 years...

Salt City Sooner
2/27/2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, but head to head is more important. The fact remains that VY has never beaten Jason White, and only beat OU in 2005 because we graduated 3/4 of the team the year before to the Pros. Vince young could scramble, Jason White could not (because of the 2 ACL's). But talking about passing efficiency, you have to give the nod to Jason White. It's hard to argue with a Heisman trophy winner vs a runner up and a wonderlic flunker..:D
Can't believe I'm taking up for a 'horn, but VY got flat-out screwed out of the Heisman that year, ESPECIALLY now that it's been shown that he lost it to a guy who wasn't eligible to set foot on the field in the first place. IMO, that year is just one more example of why that award should be given out after the bowls.

Mike Stoops
2/27/2011, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=OUEngr1990;3156993]Yeah, but head to head is more important. The fact remains that VY has never beaten Jason White, and only beat OU in 2005 because we graduated 3/4 of the team the year before to the Pros. Vince young could scramble, Jason White could not (because of the 2 ACL's). But talking about passing efficiency, you have to give the nod to Jason White. It's hard to argue with a Heisman trophy winner vs a runner up and a wonderlic flunker..:D[/QUOTE

I dislike VY and the Horns as much as anyone but you can't take away from what the guy accomplished. Did you even watch those back to back Rose Bowl performances? Do I need to bring up Jason's performance in Bowl games?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/27/2011, 02:21 AM
He beat the worst OU team in the Stoops era.with BIGTIME help from the UT refs.

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 08:38 AM
Only 38 years...

38 years and still clueless, that is sad..

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 08:47 AM
I dislike VY and the Horns as much as anyone but you can't take away from what the guy accomplished. Did you even watch those back to back Rose Bowl performances? Do I need to bring up Jason's performance in Bowl games?

Why would you even defend a horn? Obviously you don't live in Texas like I do. Trust me, they take every shot at us they can get, and take every opportunity to "take away" from our accomplishments. Live down here for 15 years like I do, and you will understand. It will take your hate to a new level. So those losses were all Jason White's fault? As much as I can remember, there were other players on the team. It wasn't Jason White's fault our defense gave up all those points against USC and KState. It wasn't Jason White fault the he threw a catchable pass in the end zone in the '04 sugar bowl, and it was dropped. It wasn't Jason White's fault that LSU ran back a kick off return for a TD. You need to stop comparing Jason White to Vince Young because that is 2 totally different situations, and 2 different time periods. I think a more fair comparison is on the field, head to head. And as far as the comment about VY not getting the Heisman, that is ridiculous. Reggie Bush was a BEAST. That was awarded before anyone knew about USC cheating. How do you know VY wasn't getting paid something?

JLEW1818
2/27/2011, 09:51 AM
Yah, if one wanted to, they could say Jason White shutout Vincent Young in 2004

Mike Stoops
2/27/2011, 04:03 PM
Why would you even defend a horn? Obviously you don't live in Texas like I do. Trust me, they take every shot at us they can get, and take every opportunity to "take away" from our accomplishments. Live down here for 15 years like I do, and you will understand. It will take your hate to a new level. So those losses were all Jason White's fault? As much as I can remember, there were other players on the team. It wasn't Jason White's fault our defense gave up all those points against USC and KState. It wasn't Jason White fault the he threw a catchable pass in the end zone in the '04 sugar bowl, and it was dropped. It wasn't Jason White's fault that LSU ran back a kick off return for a TD. You need to stop comparing Jason White to Vince Young because that is 2 totally different situations, and 2 different time periods. I think a more fair comparison is on the field, head to head. And as far as the comment about VY not getting the Heisman, that is ridiculous. Reggie Bush was a BEAST. That was awarded before anyone knew about USC cheating. How do you know VY wasn't getting paid something?

Maybe I misunderstand your earlier thread. I thought you were making the case of Jason having a better college career than VY. As much as I wish it were so that just wasn't the case. And yes I have lived in TX, I know all about the mentality you described but tearing down their accomplishments doesn't build us up. Same with Tim Tebow. I personally didn't care for him either. He pouted when Sam won the Heisman and doing the gator chomp to Nic Harris in the NC game when the game was out of hand made me sick but I would never say he wasn't a great college player.

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 04:43 PM
Maybe I misunderstand your earlier thread. I thought you were making the case of Jason having a better college career than VY. As much as I wish it were so that just wasn't the case. And yes I have lived in TX, I know all about the mentality you described but tearing down their accomplishments doesn't build us up. Same with Tim Tebow. I personally didn't care for him either. He pouted when Sam won the Heisman and doing the gator chomp to Nic Harris in the NC game when the game was out of hand made me sick but I would never say he wasn't a great college player.

You certainly did misunderstand my thread. You also just accused me of tearing down VY accomplisments, which I did not. Go back and show me anywhere in my threads were I did that. I simply stated that head to head, VY is 0-2 vs Jason White, and that it is not my opinion, it is FACT. I also stated that Jason White had a better arm than VY. This is also a FACT that can be backed up by statistics. Jason White's passing efficiency was through the roof!! VY did well his senior year, but prior to that failed to impress in the passing department. He COULD scramble with the best of QB's, and when he finally did improve his passing in '05, made him a dangerous college QB. What do you think could have been if Jason White had not had 2 ACL's? My bet is that he would be tearing it up in the Pro's right now. He was a victim of circumstance, plain and simple. Man, I watched all of this unfold in '03 - '05. The more I talk to you and SoCal, the more I'm convinced that you guys did not, and just recently jumped on the bandwagon, and got all your info from reading. Nothing wrong with jumping on the bandwagon...just don't be a horn and jump off when the going gets tough. And don't get into arguments with Sooner fans that not only graduated from OU, have been following OU football for more than 30 years! :texan:

EatLeadCommie
2/27/2011, 05:15 PM

I don't recall LSU running back a kick off return for a TD. I do recall that they had a pick 6.

BoulderSooner79
2/27/2011, 05:25 PM
I don't recall LSU running back a kick off return for a TD. I do recall that they had a pick 6.

Yep and you have to put some blame on JW for that, although I chalk it up to just a great defensive play.

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 05:30 PM

Well, alcohol makes my memory fuzzy, what can I say..:D

sooneron
2/27/2011, 05:48 PM
You need to stop comparing Jason White to Vince Young because that is 2 totally different situations, and 2 different time periods.

Two different time periods, seriously? Their careers overlapped.:confused:

It is hard to argue Radio's game changing ability, BUT JW won a heisman and was a runner up. Radio was a runner up once. Like I have always said, "He had 1.5 very good seasons."
JW had 2 Big 12 titles to Radio's 1. 2 National title games to vince's 1. Radio had an NC, JW did not. I think too much is given to Radio's highlights over the course of a few games and not enough to Jason's career highlights. Too much is given to the highlights in this espn age.

Mike Stoops
2/27/2011, 06:38 PM

It was Marcus Spears.

Mike Stoops
2/27/2011, 06:51 PM
You certainly did misunderstand my thread. You also just accused me of tearing down VY accomplisments, which I did not. Go back and show me anywhere in my threads were I did that. I simply stated that head to head, VY is 0-2 vs Jason White, and that it is not my opinion, it is FACT. I also stated that Jason White had a better arm than VY. This is also a FACT that can be backed up by statistics. Jason White's passing efficiency was through the roof!! VY did well his senior year, but prior to that failed to impress in the passing department. He COULD scramble with the best of QB's, and when he finally did improve his passing in '05, made him a dangerous college QB. What do you think could have been if Jason White had not had 2 ACL's? My bet is that he would be tearing it up in the Pro's right now. He was a victim of circumstance, plain and simple. Man, I watched all of this unfold in '03 - '05. The more I talk to you and SoCal, the more I'm convinced that you guys did not, and just recently jumped on the bandwagon, and got all your info from reading. Nothing wrong with jumping on the bandwagon...just don't be a horn and jump off when the going gets tough. And don't get into arguments with Sooner fans that not only graduated from OU, have been following OU football for more than 30 years! :texan:

FYI I attended OU from 2003-2007. I'm only 29 so I haven't been following OU football as long as you but I would consider myself a thoughtful, informed fan. I'm not afraid to go against the grain if I have a different take on something. Being a part of the herd mentality has never been my thing but it seems to be the norm for this message board. I've already got into it with one of the admins. That's fine. I don't require people to agree with my opinions. I'll still enjoy OU football just the same.

OUEngr1990
2/27/2011, 09:42 PM
FYI I attended OU from 2003-2007. I'm only 29 so I haven't been following OU football as long as you but I would consider myself a thoughtful, informed fan. I'm not afraid to go against the grain if I have a different take on something. Being a part of the herd mentality has never been my thing but it seems to be the norm for this message board. I've already got into it with one of the admins. That's fine. I don't require people to agree with my opinions. I'll still enjoy OU football just the same.

Well good for you. I prefer to stick with facts and not opinions. It makes winning arguments that much easier. :)

josh09
2/28/2011, 04:23 PM
Technically he went 1-1 against us because he didn't start the 2003 game, but I like to say he went 1-2

SoonerHoops
2/28/2011, 09:20 PM
I don't remember Chance Mock playing any in the '03 game after the first series when D Strait made him and the fake Roy Williams his biotch. Vince played the entire rest of the game, right?