PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dean, I Have A Book Question

sooner59
2/26/2011, 12:40 AM
I was cleaning up my room noticed a book on my shelf that I have yet to read. Its called The Last Templar. I seem to remember you saying a while back that you were reading that. Have you finished it? I just finished a different book and I have several I haven't read. I am trying to decide on whether to pick that one up next. Any good?

Blue
2/26/2011, 02:49 AM
It's like asking Ghandi tactics for war. :pop:

C&CDean
2/26/2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I finished it. It's pretty good - but it's kinda weird. I've never seen that flick (or read the book) that came out a few years ago (the one about Jesus having kids, etc. and the movie had Tom Hanks in it I just can' think of the name of it), but I'd imagine it would be somewhat similar. It's well written and easy to read/follow the story line - even though it jumps from current times to Crusades times back and forth.

Overall, I'd give it a strong B+.

C&CDean
2/26/2011, 09:52 AM
It's like asking Ghandi tactics for war. :pop:

Blow me Jager girl.

sooner59
2/26/2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I finished it. It's pretty good - but it's kinda weird. I've never seen that flick (or read the book) that came out a few years ago (the one about Jesus having kids, etc. and the movie had Tom Hanks in it I just can' think of the name of it), but I'd imagine it would be somewhat similar. It's well written and easy to read/follow the story line - even though it jumps from current times to Crusades times back and forth.

Thanks Dean.

olevetonahill
2/26/2011, 10:20 AM

So are these bro , How many ya got in yer Library?:D

http://www.caribousmom.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/onefishtwofish.jpg

KantoSooner
2/26/2011, 01:59 PM
It's kind of an 'airplane' read. Not a lot there, but entertaining in a Chuck Norris movie kind of way. I'd concur in the B+

If you want your mind blown and haven't read it yet, try "1491". Written by a journalist rather than a historian or anthropologist, the writing is crisp and entertaining. The scholarship and command of the subject matter is also masterful. It will change the way you think of pre-Columbian America.

Jammin'
2/26/2011, 02:56 PM
It's kind of an 'airplane' read. Not a lot there, but entertaining in a Chuck Norris movie kind of way. I'd concur in the B+

If you want your mind blown and haven't read it yet, try "1491". Written by a journalist rather than a historian or anthropologist, the writing is crisp and entertaining. The scholarship and command of the subject matter is also masterful. It will change the way you think of pre-Columbian America.

1491 sounds interesting. I may try that. I know this wasn't for me but thanks.

sooner59
2/26/2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks, I might check that out.

CrimsonKel
3/8/2011, 11:36 PM
I just finished reading The Last Templar and I feel that its an average book at best. The DaVinci Code was infinitely better IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2011, 12:52 AM
I was cleaning up my room noticed a book on my shelf that I have yet to read. Its called The Last Templar. I seem to remember you saying a while back that you were reading that. Have you finished it? I just finished a different book and I have several I haven't read. I am trying to decide on whether to pick that one up next. Any good?

When did you learn to read? :P

sooner59
3/9/2011, 01:32 AM
I had to when Switzer's book came out. :D

TUSooner
3/9/2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. Let me guess, it was a land of peace, joy and perfect harmony beween man and nature, where seldom was heard a discouraging word? ;)

Seriously, I will look for this, it sounds very interesting!

C&CDean
3/9/2011, 03:30 PM
I just finished reading The Last Templar and I feel that its an average book at best. The DaVinci Code was infinitely better IMO.

You are probably right. I couldn't even remember the name of the book I was comparing it to. I'll probably pick up The DaVinci Code and check it out. When I read the Last Templar I didn't have the DaVinci Code as a barometer.

sooner59
3/9/2011, 03:38 PM
The DaVinci Code is a good read. I have read all of Dan Brown's books. I really liked Deception Point, The Lost Symbol, and Angels & Demons. Digital Fortress was ok, but my least favorite of his books.

And Dean, he has a main character that appears in 3 of his books Angels & Demons was the first. DaVinci Code supposedly takes place 6 months or so after that. The Lost Symbol is the third and it deals in depth with Freemasons. You don't actually have to read them in order as they don't really connect.

btk108
3/9/2011, 04:07 PM
http://iamhilarious.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/curious-george.png

C&CDean
3/9/2011, 04:17 PM
http://iamhilarious.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/curious-george.png

I always wondered if the original author knew his character would become POTUS some day.

btk108
3/9/2011, 05:18 PM
LMAO

soonerboomer93
3/9/2011, 06:04 PM

Really? DaVinci code was decent, but if you read any more of his books you realize, they're all the same. The exact same twists, etc.

StoopTroup
3/9/2011, 06:57 PM
DaVinci Code and Templar....Fiction or Non-fiction at the Library?

C&CDean
3/9/2011, 06:58 PM
Sure.

StoopTroup
3/9/2011, 07:00 PM
LMAO...Thanks. I figured that might go 23 pages. You killed it! :D ;)

C&CDean
3/9/2011, 07:02 PM
Actually some of the stuff is kinda freaky - especially if you've spent your entire youth having religion beaten into you. Then you kinda go "naw, that **** didn't happen..."

C&CDean
3/9/2011, 07:03 PM
And by "that **** didn't happen" I mean the **** in the stories.

StoopTroup
3/9/2011, 07:10 PM
yup

StoopTroup
3/9/2011, 07:12 PM
Caught this guy on one of Tulsa's UHF Channel the other morning....he was really interesting.

http://www.lesfeldick.com/images/LesFeldick_03.jpg

Dwight
3/9/2011, 07:14 PM

The Last Templar is an amazing book

Ctina
3/10/2011, 01:55 AM
Angels and Demons > The DaVinci Code. Haven't read The Lost Symbol yet.

You guys read any of the Steve Berry books? The Cotton Malone ones? I've only read a couple but they were good. Along the same lines of the Brown books. Hopefully this summer I'll have some time to get caught up on some reading.

sooner59
3/10/2011, 02:35 AM
If you are interested in Freemasons, then The Lost Symbol is very good. Deception point deals with the NSA. Digital Fortress deals with the CIA. Some of his books are better than others, but they are all worthwhile read, IMO. Very entertaining....and informative. They are fictional books, but if you look up some of the "facts" that Brown expresses are true, then they make it more interesting.