PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 05:42 PM
I got cursed out yesterday by by a drunk/high grandmother for picking a kid up from Gilcrease Middle School and letting him practice with the high school. She told me the kid needs to be at home making money and not dealing with sports. The kid is tired of being in the streets and being forced to sell dope to help pay bills and is really looking for guidance. I was going to bring him to High School State Wrestling Championships in OKC but she told me the next time I picked him up she would call the police and say I kidnapped him. The kid is completely heart broken but I have no Idea what move to make next. If I could I would take him in, but I simply can not afford another child at my house - I have 5 of my own kids......

What would you do?

soonerchk
2/25/2011, 05:45 PM
I would cry. Hopefully you'll come up with a better solution because I have nothing. :(

OULenexaman
2/25/2011, 05:46 PM
give her an old Louis Armstrong CD and tell her to go inside and listen to it and STFU!! And throw in some 44 mags of the Colt 45

mgsooner
2/25/2011, 05:47 PM
Call child welfare.

soonerhubs
I know DHS is rough, but wouldn't it be better than with that yainch?

2121Sooner
Call Joe Clark and have him be the principal at your school.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ro8_DD4pyFw/S-ZxRMGEVMI/AAAAAAAAAQA/oxkiBEQSVuo/s1600/PrJC.jpg

soonerinkaty
2/25/2011, 05:48 PM
Tell her to sell her own ****ing dope and stop mooching off of the kiddo. Then grab the kid and roll out.

HBick
2/25/2011, 05:48 PM
DHS is rough, but I agree with soonerhubs

The Profit
2/25/2011, 05:50 PM
Call child welfare.

This

C&CDean
2/25/2011, 05:51 PM
Buy her a couple bottles of T-bird and hand her a $20. She'll probably let you take the young man.

Seriously, if it's as you describe, I'd be calling DHS. Every kid deserves a chance.

2121Sooner
2/25/2011, 05:52 PM
If he is white you should try to adopt him. Then have him keep selling drugs at school. MO MONEY!!!!

Then when he gets busted, just walk into school, and yell......."What did my little white son do!!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Jammin'
2/25/2011, 06:01 PM
Give me the kids number and price list.

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 06:02 PM
I thought about calling Child Welfare/DHS - but the last time we did that with a child - he became property of the state and I have not seen the child since. It was a different situation - the parents were beating the child, ect.... but once the state took him - they did not do the child any justice. Now the kid is serving a 10 year prison sentence - I do not want to repeat that. At least now I can go see and talk to him. But I am still lost.

I have a couple of police friends - I was thinking of having them go scare her but if they see something they are obligated to take the correct actions - so I am not sure if that is a good idea either.

mgsooner
2/25/2011, 06:04 PM
I have a couple of police friends - I was thinking of having them go scare her but if they see something they are obligated to take the correct actions - so I am not sure if that is a good idea either.

You are correct. If they actually see any drug activity going down you may as well have called DHS because that will be their first call.

soonerchk
2/25/2011, 06:05 PM
Buy her a couple bottles of T-bird and hand her a $20. She'll probably let you take the young man.

Seriously, if it's as you describe, I'd be calling DHS. Every kid deserves a chance.

You could probably buy her off, at least for a while.

SoCaliSooner
2/25/2011, 06:09 PM
If he's a good athlete, adopt him and that way he can be a good wrestler, then a pro wrestler, make millions of dollars and they can make a movie about you called "Going To The Mat".....

Problem solved..

OUMallen
2/25/2011, 06:12 PM
Call DHS. Do not, under any circumstances, do anything illegal. LIke picking up children without consent.

2121Sooner
2/25/2011, 06:19 PM
If he's a good athlete, adopt him and that way he can be a good wrestler, then a pro wrestler, make millions of dollars and they can make a movie about you called "Going To The Mat".....

Problem solved..

Oh please let this kids name be Matt

That would be allsome!!!!

GKeeper316
2/25/2011, 06:22 PM
is she the kid's legal guardian?

if so, it isn't your place to tell her how to raise her kids. if not, call DHS.

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 06:29 PM
The kid is an OK athlete - He could get better but Oklahoma is a wrestling state. Kids that start wrestling in middle school in this state - are 6 - 8 years behind when it comes to mat time. I am not going to pick him up without consent - I can't afford to get in trouble. I am leaning towards talking to his father and see what he can do. He has a life sentence doing his time in McAlester. I am not sure where his head is at but it is looking like the best option before we are forced to take it to the next level.

mgsooner
2/25/2011, 06:30 PM
Man, this really sounds like a lovely family. A real slice of Americana

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 06:31 PM
is she the kid's legal guardian?

if so, it isn't your place to tell her how to raise her kids. if not, call DHS.

yes she is his legal guardian. And I realize it is not my place to tell her anything but..... damn...... I hate to see a kid that wants to be better not have the opportunity to do so.

C&CDean
2/25/2011, 06:33 PM
Don't worry brother, GK doesn't get real life.

soonerhubs
2/25/2011, 06:34 PM
I stand by the DHS statement. One experience doesn't generalize across all individuals. I know you saw someone's life in shambles after going through the system, but do you really think being forced to sell drugs is a better foundation?

GKeeper316
2/25/2011, 06:40 PM
hell i went to high school with a dude that was like 6'6" and close to 300 lbs, but didnt play a single sport because his family needed him to work on their farm. is that bad parenting too? denying the kid the potential opportunity of athletics for the sake of a family business?

parents raise their kids how they see fit. if the kid isnt in any physical danger, it is not your place or anyone else's to tell them how to go about it... especially the state's.

Turd_Ferguson
2/25/2011, 06:43 PM
hell i went to high school with a dude that was like 6'6" and close to 300 lbs, but didnt play a single sport because his family needed him to work on their farm. is that bad parenting too? denying the kid the potential opportunity of athletics for the sake of a family business?

parents raise their kids how they see fit. if the kid isnt in any physical danger, it is not your place or anyone else's to tell them how to go about it... especially the state's.You are one angry *** dude/woman...

NormanPride
I don't think you understand what their "family business" is, GK.

C&CDean

parents raise their kids how they see fit. if the kid isnt in any physical danger, it is not your place or anyone else's to tell them how to go about it... especially the state's.

C'mon dude, have you not been paying attention? Shak is in the worst part of Tulsa trying to help some seriously effed up black kids have a chance. The farm kid analogy is from Mars. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but saving a kid from the mother****ing GHETTO is a righteous thing to do. Even if it is illegal.

NormanPride
2/25/2011, 06:45 PM
Send the cops over to scare her. If they see illegal activity and DHS gets involved, pray.

Look at it this way: Existing road = jail time. Your way = hope. If jail time results from both then you did all you could.

Breadburner
2/25/2011, 06:48 PM
Emancipation....???

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 06:53 PM

Working on a farm is one thing - I would have no problem with a kid having a legitimate job or family business. Selling drugs is a different story. And the kids life is in danger. Selling drugs is not a safe occupation. 3 months ago when I started dealing with the child - I caught him playing russian roulette in the back of his house - One of my wrestlers lives next door to him and I went to the back yard to check out his dogs and saw the kid on the porch with a gun in his hand. I know his father - I am going to talk to him first. If that does not work - I will have no choice but the kid is very fragile at this point. Being caught in the system is not for weak minded people.

Turd_Ferguson
2/25/2011, 06:57 PM
Man, this really sounds like a lovely family. A real slice of AmericanaFor some reason, and maybe it's just me, but you seem to always come across as really snobbish...

Turd_Ferguson
2/25/2011, 06:59 PM
Working on a farm is one thing - I would have no problem with a kid having a legitimate job or family business. Selling drugs is a different story. And the kids life is in danger. Selling drugs is not a safe occupation. 3 months ago when I started dealing with the child - I caught him playing russian roulette in the back of his house - One of my wrestlers lives next door to him and I went to the back yard to check out his dogs and saw the kid on the porch with a gun in his hand. I know his father - I am going to talk to him first. If that does not work - I will have no choice but the kid is very fragile at this point. Being caught in the system is not for weak minded people.Good job doodoo. Most people stand outside looking in and feel bad about what they see. Very few actually do something about it. Again, good job.

GKeeper316
2/25/2011, 06:59 PM
if you have proof that the kid is being forced to sell drugs, its a matter for the police and dhs. there's really no other option in a situation like this.

C&CDean
2/25/2011, 07:03 PM
It's the hood. There's TONS of options. Shak could probably take this boy and within a week, his POS granny wouldn't GAS one way or the other. Sad, sad commentary on America. And this **** is in Okla - by GAWD - homa. Very, very bummer.

Mongo
2/25/2011, 07:05 PM
Keep it up doodoo. You are doing great work

olevetonahill
2/25/2011, 07:14 PM
I thought about calling Child Welfare/DHS - but the last time we did that with a child - he became property of the state and I have not seen the child since. It was a different situation - the parents were beating the child, ect.... but once the state took him - they did not do the child any justice. Now the kid is serving a 10 year prison sentence - I do not want to repeat that. At least now I can go see and talk to him. But I am still lost.

So what if you dont get to see him again. Its not really DHS; fault that the other kid is doing 10.

What chance do you think THIS kid is going to have, If he continues to peddle dope ?
Call the ****in DHS and at least get him away from the dope Ya dope ;)
YWIA

yermom
2/25/2011, 07:14 PM
i just wanted to say doodoo

Shakadoodoo
2/25/2011, 07:22 PM
You all are right - I really have no choice - I am still going to talk to his father first but..... looks like I am at a dead end. He will end up dead staying with his grandmother.... either by someone else or by his own hands. I am not a fan of DHS but I would feel absolutely terrible if the kid winds up dead.

Thanks for the advice and complements. My father just told me I am going to have to put it in God's hands. After I talk to his father - that is the only choice I have.

olevetonahill
2/25/2011, 07:27 PM
Good Luck to you and HIM , Ill add Yall to the prayin list

yermom
2/25/2011, 07:29 PM
i'm sure lots of kids aren't lucky enough to have someone that gives a damn around.

i hope it turns out well.

ouwasp
2/25/2011, 08:41 PM
If there is dope dealing involved, the authorities need to get involved ASAP, imo. I think it is a good thing to involve the father, maybe the fellow can at least write a letter to someone at some point.

Is there Social Security $$ involved? I would imagine so. The grandma may feel that this particular "source of income" is at risk in some way. Maybe that is behind her irrational behavior.

I'm glad there are people out there willing to stand in the gap for some of our younger generation, for those that otherwise have not much of a chance.

Best wishes, and God bless. Please let us know how things are going as events unfold, if you feel led to.

47straight
2/25/2011, 08:58 PM
I say have the police buddies go talk to her, tell her that pretty much if she doesn't let you be his mentor then well there's going to be all sorts of heat, stings, raids, etc., and once they get a shred of evidence the kid will be gone to DHS anyway. Tell her she really has two options: let the kid have shakadoodoo as a mentor, or he gets taken away. Either way the kid won't be selling, so she's got to ask herself, does she ever want to see her grandson?

Leroy Lizard
2/25/2011, 10:25 PM
Call DHS. Do not, under any circumstances, do anything illegal. LIke picking up children without consent.

Yeah, that was insane.