PDA

View Full Version : Trotter: Flemming no longer enrolled at OU..

OK2U
2/25/2011, 02:27 PM
OU CB Jamell Fleming no longer enrolled in school. Uncertain if he'll be back in fall.
-Twitter
Sorry posting on my phone...

OK2U
2/25/2011, 02:28 PM
Guess we know who made that recording and ratted Martinez out...

OK2U
2/25/2011, 02:30 PM
http://m.newsok.com/s?s=16&a=3543891&f=OU

badger
2/25/2011, 02:34 PM
I don't it was Jamell that did the recording

gaylordfan1
2/25/2011, 02:35 PM
Oh, this is not good news.

PhiDeltBeers
2/25/2011, 02:36 PM
Man, just issue after issue with this team. We have all the ingredients, but it's just one thing after another. Hopefully things get resolved.

OK2U
2/25/2011, 02:37 PM
I don't it was Jamell that did the recording

You're right..."personal matter."

madillsoonerfan5353
2/25/2011, 02:38 PM
Oh, this is not good news.

You're right. I hope all is well with JF, but it's TIME for Mr. Colvin to step up and shine.

JLEW1818
2/25/2011, 02:42 PM
Immature team

OK2U
2/25/2011, 02:42 PM
Time for Colving to put on about 12 lbs of muscle, too. Kid has mad skills but looks like a string bean out there.

badger
2/25/2011, 02:44 PM
more info here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110225_231_0_NORMAN575218)

I just don't think that recording-a-coach incident would end up in enrollment cancellation mid-semester.

NormanPride
2/25/2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, you don't see this very often. Thank goodness we have Colvin in the wings...

JF, I hope you're doing okay. You've got a shot at the league, so don't let it slip by.

jersey sooner
2/25/2011, 02:56 PM
This could be really devestating. He really came into his own and, despite not being the most gifted athlete, was a damn fine cornerback.

NormanPride
2/25/2011, 03:04 PM
Colvin will be fine replacing him. I'm just worried that something really bad is going on. Here's hoping he manages to finish college and get his shot playing on Sundays.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/25/2011, 03:13 PM
Colvin will be fine replacing him. I'm just worried that something really bad is going on. Here's hoping he manages to finish college and get his shot playing on Sundays.

This ^^^^^^^

Mad Dog Madsen
2/25/2011, 03:16 PM
Colvin is good and will be a fine replacement but I think this may be an opportunity for Gabe Lynn as well.

PhiDeltBeers
2/25/2011, 03:23 PM
Well, we may be jumping the gun at replacing him. They left it on the table that he could still return next semester. We can hope as Jamell seems to be a pretty good kid.

jersey sooner
2/25/2011, 03:24 PM
Any time you're trying to make a title run, especially playing in the Big XII, corner is one position you need to have shored up. I realize Colvin looked great in the few games he was needed, and both him and Lynn have great potential, but don't assume losing our best corner, a senior with a full year of starting experience, will be nothing.

OUthunder
2/25/2011, 03:35 PM
Not good.

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 03:37 PM
My guess would be grades, but whatever it is, it's not good to lose 3 starters in the backfield from last years team. Colvin looked good last year but he doesn't have near the experience of Flemming. This is bad folks. Just like the loss of Box last season was bad.

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 03:47 PM
Colvin will be fine and got experience last year. Yeah, this sucks, but don't snitch!! Martinez probably left a voicemail on his phone, and in the heat of the moment Flemming went and let compliance hear it.

Did he really think Bob Stoops would be cool with that? He embarrassed the university, coaching staff and hurt team chemistry.

MojoRisen
2/25/2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like he could be back in the Fall- Spring will be big for Gabe Lynn and Colvin - Lynn was highly recruited should be ready to go as a 3rd year guy.

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 03:54 PM
Any time you're trying to make a title run, especially playing in the Big XII, corner is one position you need to have shored up. I realize Colvin looked great in the few games he was needed, and both him and Lynn have great potential, but don't assume losing our best corner, a senior with a full year of starting experience, will be nothing.

It's not minor, but it's not the end of the world. Colvin will have all spring and summer to get work in as the #1 guy.

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 03:57 PM
Colvin will be fine and got experience last year. Yeah, this sucks, but don't snitch!! Martinez probably left a voicemail on his phone, and in the heat of the moment Flemming went and let compliance hear it.

Did he really think Bob Stoops would be cool with that? He embarrassed the university, coaching staff and hurt team chemistry.

Do you really think Flemming did that or are you joking?

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 03:58 PM
Homer Simpson said it the best: Doh!

Monster Zero
2/25/2011, 03:59 PM
If he'd run into grade trouble in the fall it seems like it woulda made the news before now. This seems like something else. Some kinda family deal like Officer Pendleton? Or something else?

Don't know, just askin'.

I hope it gets straightened out and he gets to come back.

SoonerDan74012
2/25/2011, 04:07 PM
Guerin Emig said it's not a legal matter on his twitter account so it must be a family issue or some other personal matter.

OK2U
2/25/2011, 04:15 PM
Homer Simpson said it the best: Doh!
I believe you mean "D'oh"
you're welcome

OK2U
2/25/2011, 04:18 PM
Sounds like he could be back in the Fall- Spring will be big for Gabe Lynn and Colvin - Lynn was highly recruited should be ready to go as a 3rd year guy.
If history has taught us anything, it's that "highly recruited" means next to nothing. Case in point, ummm, err, Aaron Colvin!
Gabe was all world in high school, but there's a reason he hasn't seen the field much.
::IMHO::

jersey sooner
2/25/2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

OK2U
2/25/2011, 04:21 PM
^^We're screwed!

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 04:26 PM
Do you really think Flemming did that or are you joking?

Yes, I really think this. We knew the snitch would soon be ousted. Do you think this is coincidence?

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 04:28 PM
If OU has aspirations of being an 11-2 or 10-3 team then this is not a big deal, but when your goal is to go undefeated, it hurts. It's not good to lose 3 starters in your d backfield. It also hurts your depth, But you just have to move on.

PhiDeltBeers
2/25/2011, 04:29 PM
I don't think we can jump to any conclusions, although, if he had some family issues that prevented him from making the workouts...I could see this. But, I'm not going to call him out 'till there's more info on the matter.

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 04:31 PM
Yes, I really think this. We knew the snitch would soon be ousted. Do you think this is coincidence?

Flemming has left school before because of grades. I also don't think the OU staff would force the kid out of the program that just ratted them out to their compliance office. It's really bad PR. I have no reason at this point to believe it was Flemming.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2011, 04:33 PM
meh, I have no concerns...Fleming played really well at times, but definitely can be replaced..I think Colvin could be one of the top 4 or 5 corners of the Stoops era..and I don't throw those kinds of comments around...solid in every area

OK2U
2/25/2011, 04:33 PM
If he had been the rat, I don't think Stoops would have said they hope he can return... He could have just said he left school to deal with personal issues and may have an opportunity to come back.

jersey sooner
2/25/2011, 04:34 PM
^^We're screwed!

Nobody said we're screwed, but if you don't see this as a potential problem for an undefeated run at #8 you don't know very much about football.

PhiDeltBeers
2/25/2011, 04:36 PM
I'm curious to know how all the inside issues are affecting the team's chemistry. We need some positive news!

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 04:44 PM
I'm curious to know how all the inside issues are affecting the team's chemistry. We need some positive news!

+1

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 04:48 PM
If he had been the rat, I don't think Stoops would have said they hope he can return... He could have just said he left school to deal with personal issues and may have an opportunity to come back.

It's all speculation right now. Maybe it was grades, but it looks suspicious. I really hope it wasn't Flemming. I should wait to hear something concrete before I state such stuff. Sorry guys!!

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 05:00 PM
It's all speculation right now. Maybe it was grades, but it looks suspicious. I really hope it wasn't Flemming. I should wait to hear something concrete before I state such stuff. Sorry guys!!

Speculate is what we do. However, it seems less suspicious that he left the team now. If he were the guy that went to the compliance office I just don't think Stoops would make it obvious by forcing him out right after the incident.

bmjlr
2/25/2011, 05:06 PM
Speculate is what we do. However, it seems less suspicious that he left the team now. If he were the guy that went to the complier office I just don't think Stoops would make it obvious by forcing him out right after the incident.

^^THIS

KuppiKunta
2/25/2011, 05:12 PM

Come one...it's the offseason, there is no positive news!!!!

Big D Sooner
2/25/2011, 05:15 PM

Very good point. I would rather have some negative things happen now instead of August.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/25/2011, 05:18 PM
Yea, which is why it happening this early is good. Its just the thought of only having one previous starter out of the 2 corners and 2 safeties opening against a top 25 pass happy Tulsa in game one and a top 10 FSU on the road in game 2 that makes me very nervous.

Sam Proctor started the whole 2009 season, if I remember correctly? I know that JF will be hard to replace, but Colvin played pretty damn good last year. This is where leadership needs to be noticed, if we have any. The "leaders" have sounded focused from what I've heard, but idk.

:gary:

usaosooner
2/25/2011, 05:24 PM
attrition in the secondary shoulder be a surprise..

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 05:25 PM
meh, I have no concerns...Fleming played really well at times, but definitely can be replaced..I think Colvin could be one of the top 4 or 5 corners of the Stoops era..and I don't throw those kinds of comments around...solid in every area

But you just did :)

And I happen to agree that Colvin looked really good when he got his chances.

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 05:28 PM

This! I was hoping for a *very* quiet off-season with just the occasional announcement of verbal commits from future star players.

NormanPride
2/25/2011, 05:36 PM
The only comments STEP throws around are adjectives for his wang.

AlbqSooner
2/25/2011, 06:01 PM
In my many years of being an OU fan, I have come to realize that although losing a starting corner (insert any other position) is not good news, we have such latent talent in the background that someone always steps up. The only time I really recall this not happening was when we had so many injuries in 2009. Several people stepped up, but there were just too many to overcome that year.

I am not yet ready to doomsay our chances at playing in the MNC game this year.

Big D Sooner
2/25/2011, 06:11 PM
Is there anyone on here thatis around Norman and has some insight on the team. Are they buying the hype? Are they getting to work? Is the leadership stepping up? This seems like an unfortunate string of events but from an outside perspective it looks like it is all coming apart at the seams.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2011, 06:22 PM
The only comments STEP throws around are adjectives for his wang.

those adjectives come from other people when i throw my wang around

gaylordfan1
2/25/2011, 06:27 PM

I've read some use it as a verb!

Breadburner
2/25/2011, 06:28 PM

Can you throw it over your shoulder.......????

sperry
2/25/2011, 06:34 PM
I don't think it's grades. Fall grades come out in December. If it was grade issues, he would have never been enrolled in the first place.

It could be the recording thing. Just because Stoops wouldn't force the person who did it out doesn't mean they wouldn't just quit on their own.

Anyway, it just seems weird that a guy going into his 5th year senior season would just leave the team. Hopefully whatever it is resolves itself and he is back in the fall. He would probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick and have a good chance to play in the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 06:50 PM
I don't think it's grades. Fall grades come out in December. If it was grade issues, he would have never been enrolled in the first place.

It could be the recording thing. Just because Stoops wouldn't force the person who did it out doesn't mean they wouldn't just quit on their own.

Anyway, it just seems weird that a guy going into his 5th year senior season would just leave the team. Hopefully whatever it is resolves itself and he is back in the fall. He would probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick and have a good chance to play in the NFL.

It would seem just as weird for a 5th yr player who is also a returning starter to be disgruntled (I.e. recording thing). But as recall, he missed last spring due to academic problems, so it could just be grades again. I think we should speculate more on this.

sperry
2/25/2011, 07:06 PM
It would seem just as weird for a 5th yr player who is also a returning starter to be disgruntled (I.e. recording thing). But as recall, he missed last spring due to academic problems, so it could just be grades again. I think we should speculate more on this.

If we're speculating, I think it's possible he went on a mormon mission.

SoonerDan74012
2/25/2011, 07:21 PM
If he was having academic issues again wouldn't he be still enrolled?????

fossil
2/25/2011, 07:28 PM
This could be really devestating. He really came into his own and, despite not being the most gifted athlete, was a damn fine cornerback.

:cool: Devestating for whom?

SoonerMom2
2/25/2011, 08:04 PM
Is there anyone on here thatis around Norman and has some insight on the team. Are they buying the hype? Are they getting to work? Is the leadership stepping up? This seems like an unfortunate string of events but from an outside perspective it looks like it is all coming apart at the seams.

Landry Jones, Ryan Broyles, and Lewis got the players together and told them during this off week to go train at the Huffman and not let up. Think those three are making sure everything is on course. That was according to James Hale. If you want the latest on OU, listen to KREF either live or on line. James Hale and Myron Patton are the best! I enjoy all of them on KREF and refuse to list to the anti-OU station.

JLEW1818
2/25/2011, 08:25 PM
FIRE SOMEBODY!!!

NorCal Sooner
2/25/2011, 08:41 PM
I'm going to speculate that we are all speculating on pure speculation.

HBick
2/25/2011, 08:55 PM

Trotter was at it on twitter after this and said rumors that Colvin might be moved to safety. Thoughts?

Also here is what the troll from rivals said on twitter as well.

JLMcCuistion Josh McCuistion
You can't help but wonder if the NFL lockout, and possible lack of a supplemental draft, could play a role in this Jamell Fleming situation.

HBick
2/25/2011, 08:58 PM
Landry Jones, Ryan Broyles, and Lewis got the players together and told them during this off week to go train at the Huffman and not let up. Think those three are making sure everything is on course. That was according to James Hale. If you want the latest on OU, listen to KREF either live or on line. James Hale and Myron Patton are the best! I enjoy all of them on KREF and refuse to list to the anti-OU station.

They don't work out at the Huffman, they have their own, private weight lifting facility that they can use. The Huffman is full of sorostitues so that may be why they were there

oudavid1
2/25/2011, 09:07 PM
The only good thing about this is that it is happening now. But number 8 just got a lot farther away.

King Barry's Back
2/25/2011, 09:18 PM
If he was having academic issues again wouldn't he be still enrolled?????

He could have left OU to attend a JUCO full-time (or some small college), get better grades at an easier school, transfer those credits back to OU before the season starts, and voila, he's back in good standing.

I think he used this strategy during an earlier spring session, as well, but I agree that this might have something to do with the taping situation.

Just allow me to speculate: Maybe Mr Fleming was missing voluntary workouts for some legitimate responsibilities that just had to be taken care of. The coaches were pressuring him to step it up, he felt cornered, turned over the tape. THat allows everybody to clear the air, and the coaches counseled him "Dude, you've got some stuff to deal with. Why don't you take the semester off and get it done? Come back in the fall?"

That looks like the best case scenario to me. Plenty of bad case scenarios so I'll try to stay positive right now.

Sooner_Tuf
2/25/2011, 09:38 PM

Don't give him your credit card number or let him make any deposits for you.

Leroy Lizard
2/25/2011, 10:01 PM
Just allow me to speculate: Maybe Mr Fleming was missing voluntary workouts for some legitimate responsibilities that just had to be taken care of. The coaches were pressuring him to step it up, he felt cornered, turned over the tape. THat allows everybody to clear the air, and the coaches counseled him "Dude, you've got some stuff to deal with. Why don't you take the semester off and get it done? Come back in the fall?"

More likely: Flemming had some problems and felt that being pressured to attend workouts was making things worse. He finally couldn't hold up to the pressure anymore, decided to leave OU, and left the recording with the compliance director as a parting shot.

Pressure + anger + rashness.

jersey sooner
2/25/2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

yankee
2/26/2011, 01:14 AM
This is the kind of stuff that makes predicting National Titles in the middle of February stupid and pointless. Hope everything turns out OK for Fleming, would love to have him back starting.

sooner59
2/26/2011, 01:43 AM
Maybe he has depression or family issues. These things have caused Sooners to miss time before....Dan Cody, Carl Pendelton. Not saying it is one of those. just saying we don't know what is going on in his life right now. For all we know, he has a kid and needs to spend more time at home for now. We just don't know anything really.

Big D Sooner
2/26/2011, 07:45 AM
The only good thing about this is that it is happening now. But number 8 just got a lot farther away.

I don't know if Fleming was THAT good. We still have a solid front 7 and an explosive offense. I think we will be OK.

OU-HSV
2/26/2011, 10:27 AM
Maybe he has depression or family issues. These things have caused Sooners to miss time before....Dan Cody, Carl Pendelton. Not saying it is one of those. just saying we don't know what is going on in his life right now. For all we know, he has a kid and needs to spend more time at home for now. We just don't know anything really.

Yep, I'm going to assume he has some tough life situations going on. So I just hope everything pans out okay for him, whatever he has going on and whether he comes back to OU or not

SoonerMom2
2/26/2011, 11:14 AM
They don't work out at the Huffman, they have their own, private weight lifting facility that they can use. The Huffman is full of sorostitues so that may be why they were there

All I know is what James Hale said -- they were not allowed to use any equipment belonging to the athletic department during this week so they sent them to the Huffman.

TahoeSOONER
2/26/2011, 12:37 PM
Man this sucks. HUGE loss in my opinion but someone will step up and I hope the kid gets things back in order and rejoins the Sooner family regardless of previous drama.

Big D Sooner
2/26/2011, 12:49 PM
Every time I come on here I half expect more bad news.

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 12:52 PM

So, you're the one!!

;)

CBUS_SOONER
2/26/2011, 12:59 PM
WOW!!! This offseason has been a nightmare... My expectations for next yr r getting lower every week. wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MyT Oklahoma
2/26/2011, 03:34 PM
:pop:

cvsooner
2/26/2011, 03:39 PM
Let's be real, here. Missing a week of weight training is not that big of a deal. Some trainers, in fact, want you to take a week off from time to time to let your body heal. You don't build muscle from lifting. Muscle is built in the healing/rest period between lifting sessions. You only lift to stress the muscle tissues. The resting periods are as important, if not moreso, than the lifting itself.

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 03:56 PM

then why come on here ???

BoulderSooner79
2/26/2011, 04:24 PM
Let's be real, here. Missing a week of weight training is not that big of a deal. Some trainers, in fact, want you to take a week off from time to time to let your body heal. You don't build muscle from lifting. Muscle is built in the healing/rest period between lifting sessions. You only lift to stress the muscle tissues. The resting periods are as important, if not moreso, than the lifting itself.

We're sort of mixing threads here (assuming Flemming was the one reporting the violation?). I don't think missing a week of *guided* training is of any significance this early in the year (the guys will still workout). The concern is the coaches ignoring rules and the implication there may be player discontent. But losing a returning starter clearly hurts even if the guy behind him steps up because of the loss of depth. But I fully believe in the old adage there is opportunity in adversity. The team leaders, both players and coaches, could use these event to rally the team and become more unified and stronger overall. We have several cheeseheads on this board and they can attest to how many injuries the Pack overcame and still won the superbowl. Our issue are tiny compared to what the Pack overcame (and I hope it stays that way).

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2011, 04:30 PM
Guess we know who made that recording and ratted Martinez out...

Huh?? what are you speaking of, from an out of stater...

EDIT: oh you mean the secondary violation thing?

MamaMia
2/26/2011, 04:40 PM
Yes, I really think this. We knew the snitch would soon be ousted. Do you think this is coincidence?How do you know he was the snitch?

Big D Sooner
2/26/2011, 05:21 PM
At least we have a full spring. If he comes back, then great! If not, these young guys like Lynn, Haynes, Trice, etc will have time to grow and develop before fall.

olevetonahill
2/26/2011, 10:00 PM
WE are SOONERS our team is More than one Man, I wish him well and Hope and pray he can come back. If Not, we still chasing 8 ;)

Boomer!!
2/27/2011, 01:11 AM
I know that Fleming has a very long time girlfriend and a young child so hopefully everythings ok with his family. Just throwing that out there as a possible cause.

SoonerMom2
2/27/2011, 12:03 PM
Word is that it was a backup that ratted out the coach -- that leaves Fleming out.

btb916
2/27/2011, 06:42 PM
From crimsonandcreammachine.com:

"UPDATE: Murdock has learned that this is strictly an academic issue, plain and simple. The university would not allow Fleming to enroll, so he'll have to do some major hoop jumping if he wants to try and extend his college career. Again, incredibly disappointing that it has come to this point."

BoulderSooner79
2/27/2011, 06:49 PM
From crimsonandcreammachine.com:

"UPDATE: Murdock has learned that this is strictly an academic issue, plain and simple. The university would not allow Fleming to enroll, so he'll have to do some major hoop jumping if he wants to try and extend his college career. Again, incredibly disappointing that it has come to this point."

But.. but.. but, does that mean our lynch mob can't hang him as the fink? We invested many hours speculating on this - all that time wasted.

I've known many students that were refused enrollment due to previous bad grades. I don't know the process at OU, but at other schools this would mean he was already on academic probation with requirements to improve. If students wish to continue trying, they usually go to community college that offers transferable credits. But if he waited and didn't get started this semester, he's in a tough spot.

Always_Sooner
2/27/2011, 11:43 PM
McGee already got into trouble as well as Stills and Jefferson. Come on guys don't let the team down.

OUmillenium
3/1/2011, 09:43 AM
We will win w him or without him. Hopefully w him.