PDA

View Full Version : Aggie World article on DeMarco at the combine

SoonerDan74012
2/24/2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10813

How would you like to be DeMarco Murray this week?

Oklahoma's all-time all-purpose yardage leader is at the NFL combine this week, trying to get pro personnel to notice him. That's tough enough, as any rookie can attest. Making Murray's job tougher is the looming work stoppage, which is tying general managers' 2011 plans into knots.

At least he has some resources to help him through.

"I've talked to Sam, Trent and Gerald," Murray told buffalobills.com, referencing 2010 first-rounders Bradford, Williams and McCoy "They all told me the same thing, go to Indy and be yourself and have fun. But the number one goal is to compete. This is the biggest job interview that I'll ever have in my life.

"It all comes down to performing well and going hard."

Murray said he sought advice from Bradford about handling the durability questions he's sure to get. A good idea, since the issue dogged the running back throughout his OU career.

As far as actual prospects this week, Murray showed up in a Miami Herald article mentioning him as a Dolphins possibility. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston considered Murray as a possible complement to New England backs BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead. The Akron Beacon Journal included Murray among those the Browns could consider as a backup to Peyton Hillis.

Either way, the point remains – Murray needs to turn some heads in Indianapolis, something that apparently did not happen the week of the Senior Bowl last month.

"Coming into the week, some considered Murray a high second-round pick," wrote Russ Lande of The Sporting News, "but his play in Mobile could drop him as far as the fourth round. He looked stiff and didn't show the ability to stick his foot in the ground and explode off his cuts."

Even though he was the most impressive back there if you read through the 50 other reports. Way to do your research Tulsa Aggie. :rolleyes:

picasso
2/24/2011, 06:21 PM
Feel free to comment on the blog at the website. I believe it's Emig that wrote it.

NormanPride
2/24/2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I thought the scouts loved him?

CBUS_SOONER
2/24/2011, 06:26 PM
I love DM7 and he was a great sooner, but, I don't see him being a very good NFL back. jmho

NormanPride
2/24/2011, 06:35 PM
Why not? He can do everything that the NFL needs. He blocks really well, he runs great routes, has great hands, and has great patience and vision. Just because our OL couldn't push a turd out of a lubed up bunghole doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the NFL.

CBUS_SOONER
2/24/2011, 06:38 PM
hope I'm wrong... in time we shall see

badger
2/24/2011, 06:45 PM
DeMarky Mark does need a good combine. He's not like our draft picks last year that just needed to weigh in and wait till OU pro day.

Lucky 7 would solidify his spot as a first-day draft pick (or I guess second day, since the NFL Draft only does first round on the first day now i think) if he has a solid 40 time and measurables.

BigJerm7
2/24/2011, 07:11 PM
I'd like to see him in STL as a slot.

SoonerDan74012
2/24/2011, 07:14 PM
I will predict that he will have the highest score in the wonderlic and the highest vertical among the running-backs. If he runs in the 4.4's then he will solidify himself in the 2-3 round range. Oh by the way, the Browns and Dolphins better stay the hell away from him! I want him going to the Pats, Rams, Colts, or my Cowboys even though there is zero chance of that happening. Lol.

MojoRisen
2/24/2011, 07:16 PM
Can Demarco still run a 4.55?

I feel like some backs do better in the NFL, some of those Olines can open up some holes. He will do well, but it depends on the team - some guys luck out like that guy from Greenbay this year.

Soonerwolf
2/24/2011, 07:32 PM
hope I'm wrong... in time we shall see

You are an idiot

pappy
2/24/2011, 08:28 PM
I see murray getting drafted in the 3rd round. I think he will do well in the league cause he can do anything you ask him to. He's not the biggest or fastest running back but he is big enough and fast enough and has great hands.

tcrb
2/24/2011, 08:38 PM
I'd love to see him on a team whose oline can run block.

sooner ngintunr
2/24/2011, 08:51 PM
I guess Lockers play in Mobile dropped him out of the draft completely?

The senior bowl isn't about the game, its about the practice. Every report I read was that DM tore it up.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Belichick could do with DM. I would love to see him go to a contender. He'll be a definite asset.

BoulderSooner79
2/24/2011, 10:10 PM
Backs that catch 70+ passes a season seem to have more impact on NFL games than more talented pure runners. I hope DM ends up on a team that can really leverage this.

ouwasp
2/25/2011, 12:20 AM
I don't card much about the NFL except that it serves as good nap fodder on Sunday afternoons. But it always brings a smile to my face seeing former Sooners do well.

Like some of you have said, it would be entertaining to see DM drafted by a contender that has an ***-kicking OL.

Also, the TW loves to put osu on the same level as OU...feel free to roll your eyes...

HBick
2/25/2011, 03:46 AM
Can Demarco still run a 4.55?

I feel like some backs do better in the NFL, some of those Olines can open up some holes. He will do well, but it depends on the team - some guys luck out like that guy from Greenbay this year.

you mean that guy from greenbay who magically showed up in the playoffs? starks is a great story no doubt, but that line was plain awful until the playoffs, i don't know what changed. i cant even remember how many times watching the pack this season i heard, this team can't establish the run, then BOOM, it shows up in Philly

CBUS_SOONER
2/25/2011, 08:56 AM
You are an idiot

thanks and stay classy

NOVSooner
2/25/2011, 09:10 AM
Just because our OL couldn't push a turd out of a lubed up bunghole doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the NFL.

This is Sig worthy! In line for quote of the year!

EatLeadCommie
2/25/2011, 11:00 AM
Why not? He can do everything that the NFL needs. He blocks really well, he runs great routes, has great hands, and has great patience and vision. Just because our OL couldn't push a turd out of a lubed up bunghole doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the NFL.

He does all those things well. He also does things like get injured really well. His knees will be a big concern, as will his durability. Money talks in the NFL, and DM is a huge risk. He also doesn't have the lateral movement and top end speed that he did as a freshman. If one were to assume that DM would stay healthy forever, his best selling point is all those things you mentioned. He does everything well, but injuries have kept him from being great at his primary duty of running.

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 11:06 AM
He does all those things well. He also does things like get injured really well. His knees will be a big concern, as will his durability. Money talks in the NFL, and DM is a huge risk. He also doesn't have the lateral movement and top end speed that he did as a freshman. If one were to assume that DM would stay healthy forever, his best selling point is all those things you mentioned. He does everything well, but injuries have kept him from being great at his primary duty of running.

Then he is NFL ready as almost all backs are injury prone there. DM has been almost injury free the last 2 years which is close to the average NFL career span for RBs.

EatLeadCommie
2/25/2011, 12:02 PM
Then he is NFL ready as almost all backs are injury prone there. DM has been almost injury free the last 2 years which is close to the average NFL career span for RBs.

Sure, if you include UFAs and late round picks, which we aren't comparing DM to. And there is a difference between enduring injuries, being injury prone, and being injury prone to the point where you have a couple of bum knees. DM isn't Jason White in that regard, but it doesn't help him. It is to DM's benefit that he does so many things well. The bad part of that though is that he really doesn't have much upside.

Widescreen
2/25/2011, 12:25 PM
This report is very different from STEP's report.

badger
2/25/2011, 12:29 PM
This report is very different from STEP's report.

STEP, what's your report? First round, top pick overall? :D

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2011, 12:33 PM
Sure, if you include UFAs and late round picks, which we aren't comparing DM to. And there is a difference between enduring injuries, being injury prone, and being injury prone to the point where you have a couple of bum knees. DM isn't Jason White in that regard, but it doesn't help him. It is to DM's benefit that he does so many things well. The bad part of that though is that he really doesn't have much upside.

I really don't know what you are trying to say. DM is will not be a big risk for an NFL GM because we are not talking about a 1st round pick here. Many players that go 3rd round-ish (most the predictions I see for DM) don't even make the team. If DM ends up a late round trip and makes a team and contributes, that will be considered a tremendous upside. Most teams don't even have a "work horse" back any more because the human body can't take that many hits. Instead, they have RB by committee and there will be opportunities for DM to provide depth unless he turns out to be a total bust.

KantoSooner
2/25/2011, 12:41 PM
I really don't know what you are trying to say. DM is will not be a big risk for an NFL GM because we are not talking about a 1st round pick here. Many players that go 3rd round-ish (most the predictions I see for DM) don't even make the team. If DM ends up a late round trip and makes a team and contributes, that will be considered a tremendous upside. Most teams don't even have a "work horse" back any more because the human body can't take that many hits. Instead, they have RB by committee and there will be opportunities for DM to provide depth unless he turns out to be a total bust.

Bingo! In the second round, he'd be a nailbiter for most GMs. In the fourth? A bargain.
Injuries look like his downside. Upside, to my eye, is the tremendous increase in maturity he's shown this past year. He is a much more polished player than he was even in the 2009 season.

EatLeadCommie
2/25/2011, 12:52 PM

I really don't disagree with any of this. Him being a 3rd or 4th rounder sounds about right. I don't think I'd risk a 2nd round pick on him, however, although it depends on who else is available at the time.

rainiersooner
2/25/2011, 01:17 PM
Just because our OL couldn't push a turd out of a lubed up bunghole doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the NFL.

Really? You had to go there? Gross man, just gross. :D

Taxman71
2/25/2011, 01:40 PM
Being sound in all aspects as a RB (running, catching, blocking) should give DM a big advantage to staying in the league for a while. Dewell Brewer and James Allen has NFL careers with similar skill sets.....not explosive or overly powerful, but well-rounded.

MR2-Sooner86
2/25/2011, 06:46 PM
Tulsa World is Aggie World? Just when you think you've heard everything...

badger
2/25/2011, 06:57 PM
Tulsa World is Aggie World? Just when you think you've heard everything...

They do a lot of Poke coverage, and TU and ORU during bball season, but the bolded part was a quote from SI... maybe the thread title should be Aggie Illustrated :D

sperry
2/25/2011, 07:04 PM
Murray is a 3rd down back. He'll immediately be one of the top pass catching RBs in the league. He's a good blocker. He's not a great runner, but as long as the team that drafts him is competent, he won't be asked to run much. He'll plya the same role that Chester Taylor did in Minnesota once AD got there.

King Barry's Back
2/25/2011, 09:28 PM
Bingo! In the second round, he'd be a nailbiter for most GMs. In the fourth? A bargain.
Injuries look like his downside. Upside, to my eye, is the tremendous increase in maturity he's shown this past year. He is a much more polished player than he was even in the 2009 season.

Yeah, exactly. He's been good throughout his career, and last year he was CLEARLY better. And he got better through the maturity/mental part of the game.

When evaluating players who are not in the clear-cut superstar, top rounder mold, those intangibles are going to be very important. DM's shown the commitment and drive to continue to improve. Any coach loves to see that.

King Barry's Back
2/25/2011, 09:30 PM
They do a lot of Poke coverage, and TU and ORU during bball season, but the bolded part was a quote from SI... maybe the thread title should be Aggie Illustrated :D

The World covers the other big state school, and the two schools in their own city, and they get criticized. :rolleyes:

swardboy
2/25/2011, 11:21 PM
Check out this guy's take on the bodies at today's weigh-in...calls Mallet a "bad body". Way to up your chances by upping your weight Ryan.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-skill-position-weighin-results.html