PDA

View Full Version : Thunder trade green and krstic

w0lfe
2/24/2011, 03:29 PM
Just before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, the Boston Celtics agreed to ship center Kendrick Perkins and guard Nate Robinson to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green and big man Nenad Krstic, two league sources said.

More on the Celtics
Keep on top of the Green throughout the season with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Wednesday that Perkins is out at least a week after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

It's a homecoming of sorts for Green. He was selected by the Celtics in the first round (fifth overall) in the 2007 draft. But he was traded with Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West to the then Seattle SuperSonics for Ray Allen and Glen Davis.

The Celtics' pursuit of a perimeter player intensified when it became apparent that Marquis Daniels might miss the rest of the season with a spinal injury.

The Thunder also made a trade sending Morris Peterson to Charlotte, but it was unclear if that was part of a three-way deal between the Thunder, Celtics and Bobcats.

Green is averaging 15.2 points and 5.6 rebounds this season as the third option for the Thunder behind Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. In his third season in the league, he has averaged 14.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

The deal gives the Thunder the big man that they've been looking for all year. Perkins is coming off right knee surgery and has played just 12 games, but the Thunder have felt for a while that they need a veteran big man to truly compete with the Spurs, Mavs and Lakers in the West.

The deal also gives the Thunder something for Green, who becomes a restricted free agent this summer. Green had rejected a contract extension offer from the Thunder earlier this year.

For the Celtics, they take a big risk that their lone big men -- Shaquille O'Neal and Kevin Garnett -- can lead them. But with O'Neal out with an Achilles injury, this is an interesting play for a Celtics team trying to win a championship.

Green is a young talent who can play both the 3 and the 4 positions and could be part of a longer rebuilding strategy. Krstic is an offensive talent down low, but isn't known as a rebounder or a tough defender.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com. Chad Ford is the ESPN NBA Insider.

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:33 PM
I didn't realize that Green rejected a contract extension with the Thunder. If that is the case, then great move by the Thunder.

w0lfe
2/24/2011, 03:34 PM
Oh yeah. I think Perkins is a solid get. Not for sure about the whole robinson thing... Maybe looking to trade him or maynor possibly???

yankee
2/24/2011, 03:36 PM
Yes! Finally a defensive center for the Thunder!!!

Is Serge going to take Green's starting spot?

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:39 PM
Looks like the new Thunder starting line up (when Perkins gets healthy) will look like this:

PG Russell Westbrook
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Kevin Durant
PF Serge Ibaka
C Kendrick Perkins

6th Man: James Harden

yankee
2/24/2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like the new Thunder starting line up (when Perkins gets healthy) will look like this:

PG Russell Westbrook
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Kevin Durant
PF Serge Ibaka
C Kendrick Perkins

6th Man: James Harden

Defense! *Clap*Clap Defense! *Clap*Clap

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:41 PM
Yes! Finally a defensive center for the Thunder!!!

Is Serge going to take Green's starting spot?

Serge is a power forward. They have just been playing him at center because he is tall and talented and they need him on the court. That and they really didn't have anyone that could play center any better. Serge should be celebrating this move (aside from loosing a teammate).

Mad Dog Madsen
2/24/2011, 03:45 PM
I really like Jeff Green and I'm sad to see him go. :( Let's hope Kendrick can stay healthy...

yankee
2/24/2011, 03:48 PM
Serge is a power forward. They have just been playing him at center because he is tall and talented and they need him on the court. That and they really didn't have anyone that could play center any better. Serge should be celebrating this move (aside from loosing a teammate).

Right, that's why I said we finally have a defensive center! I wasn't knocking him. I've always considered Serge a power forward too.

w0lfe
2/24/2011, 03:51 PM
Anyone else puzzled by the nate robinson deal?

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:53 PM
Westbrook and Durant have their ups and downs on defense, but think of the defensive presence with Thabo, Serge, and Kendrick on the floor. We already have the scorers. If Kendrick stays healthy, this could be a big effect on the Western Conference.

On a side note....what the hell is Boston doing? They are left with Shaq and Jermaine O'neil and Semih Erden at center. They are in trouble at center now. But with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and Garnett getting older, picking up Green was big.

Nevermind, they don't have Erden either. They traded him and Harangody to the Cavs for a 2nd round pick.

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone else puzzled by the nate robinson deal?

I think the consensus was that Boston was just trying to get rid of his contract, so they lumped him in the deal.

OUSKINS
2/24/2011, 04:15 PM
Nazr Mohammed also headed to OKC...

sooner59
2/24/2011, 04:23 PM
Nazr Mohammed also headed to OKC...

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. That will serve more than one function.

1. Perkins has a veteran big man behind him, so Aldrich isn't the only other option at center.

2. Aldrich gets an older veteran to mentor him a little.

3. Serge doesn't have to spend any more time at center and can stay at power forward, which is his natural position.

D.J White and Mo Peterson barely ever saw time anyway....mostly in mop up duty. As I said, I like Green, but this was a fantastic day for the Thunder (if Perkins can stay healthy).

Mike Stoops
2/24/2011, 04:25 PM
My first thought is I love the move but why would the C's give up a solid big man who's in the prime of his career?

Dwight
2/24/2011, 04:36 PM
This sucks

KBoomer11
2/24/2011, 04:39 PM
This is great IF Perkins stays healthy. If he is healthy we are contenders. We have two top 10 scorers and a frontline of Ibaka and Perkins? That's beastly. Green wasn't going to sign an extension here anyway and the truth is that Ibaka is a much better PF than Green is.

sooner59
2/24/2011, 04:43 PM
My first thought is I love the move but why would the C's give up a solid big man who's in the prime of his career?

On the NBA channel they were suggesting that Perkins and the Celtics had talked about a contract extension, but couldn't meet in the middle contract-wise. And with the big 3 getting old, picking up Green is building toward the future. They are still going to have to pick up a good center down the road, though. The talking heads on NBA TV said that Boston had been looking for a good 3 or 4 guy.

Mike Stoops
2/24/2011, 04:45 PM
This feels too good to be true but I trust Presti did his homework before pulling the trigger. Damn I'm excited.

oumartin
2/24/2011, 06:01 PM
Thabo is the worst starting shooting guard in the NBA. Good defensively but a liability on offense.

they best not trade Maynor or Harden

stoopified
2/24/2011, 07:18 PM
Anyone else puzzled by the nate robinson deal?I am.Can't see him pushing out Westbrook or Maynor.

Eielson
2/24/2011, 07:33 PM
OKC is the definite winner here.

starclassic tama
2/24/2011, 08:21 PM
why is everyone making such a big deal out of nate robinson? sometimes you have to take someone that might not fit in, just for salary reasons.

pappy
2/24/2011, 08:24 PM
I like the move...We needed a more dominent big man then we needed green...I'm not a fan of nate robinson but I figure we release him at the end of the year anyway, because he was only needed to make the trade for perkins work. ... If perkins can stay healthy this makes us a more realistic title contender, especially since the western conference is trading their better talent to the east...the West is just a bit easier to win now.

sooner59
2/24/2011, 10:32 PM
why is everyone making such a big deal out of nate robinson? sometimes you have to take someone that might not fit in, just for salary reasons.

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

yankee
2/25/2011, 12:34 AM

And he may fit in, who knows? Doc Rivers did a good job of reigning Nate in a little bit during his time in Boston. If Brooks can keep that going, he may end up being a valuable asset to this team.

sooner59
2/25/2011, 01:12 AM
Westbrook is also capable of playing a little bit of 2. If he is comfortable with it, you could put Maynor or Nate in with Russell if you are maybe resting Durant and inserting Harden for scoring. Just a thought. I'm not a bball coach.

misplacedsooner
2/25/2011, 01:31 AM
nate will be here longer than maynor. i love maynors game...so do several other nba gms. he will be a very wanted commodity this summer and will be traded ill bet.

HBick
2/25/2011, 03:32 AM
On the NBA channel they were suggesting that Perkins and the Celtics had talked about a contract extension, but couldn't meet in the middle contract-wise. And with the big 3 getting old, picking up Green is building toward the future. They are still going to have to pick up a good center down the road, though. The talking heads on NBA TV said that Boston had been looking for a good 3 or 4 guy.

Beantown offered 4 years for 22 million, Perkins was looking for 4 years at 30 million according to foxsports.com

But this is a huge shift of power in the west. You had the big 3 (no pun intended) with LA, Dallas and San Antone, with the 4th spot up for grabs between OKC, Portland, and Nawlin's. 5 days ago, you would of added the Jazz and the Thuggets, but since they cashed out, they are no longer a worry in my opinion since the Thunder have a 3 1/2 game lead as of now.

And apparently Green was offered an extension but rejected it, which would have allowed him to be a restricted free agent, and I don't think the Thunder would have been able to match what some of those GM's in the East might have been able to offer with Westbrook likely getting a max extension once a new CBA is agreed upon. But a 4 year 30 million deal to Perkins is something that could be manageable, which is even better news because Harden still has two years on his rookie contract, and Ibaka has one I believe (I'm not sure his year overseas counts against his contract? Anyone know?)

As for Perkins, if Presti can get him to sign an extension, that's great, if not, I would assume he'd end up somewhere like Dallas or San Atone?

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 12:47 PM
Boston got raped in this deal. OKC now has a legit big man that can stop Gasol. Plus, they added Nazr Mohammed from the Bobcats; he's another big guy that can rebound and is a solid defender.

Make no mistake about it, the Thunder lost to LA last year due to a lack of big bodies. OKC has just as good of a chance as LA, Spurs or Dallas to win the west. Without this deal they may have won one playoff series, now they are serious contenders.

Eielson
2/25/2011, 02:23 PM
OKC now has a legit big man that can stop Gasol.

Kendrick Perkins can stop Gasol? Why didn't he do it in the Finals last year?

:confused:

misplacedsooner
2/25/2011, 03:05 PM
perkins guards bynum and dominates him, it will be ibaka guarding gasol. a healthy perkins...he was hurt in the series... would of most likely given the celts the title.

Eielson
2/25/2011, 04:10 PM
perkins guards bynum and dominates him, it will be ibaka guarding gasol. a healthy perkins...he was hurt in the series... would of most likely given the celts the title.

He was hurt one game. Bynum was hurt the entire series.

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 04:29 PM
Kendrick Perkins can stop Gasol? Why didn't he do it in the Finals last year?

:confused:

I should have said Bynum. You guys are right, Ibaka will be on Gasol.

Soonermagik
2/25/2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, and that last game Perkins was hurt was in the 7th game. Had Perkins been healthy the Celtics might have won.

Mike Stoops
2/25/2011, 06:20 PM
Boston got raped in this deal. OKC now has a legit big man that can stop Gasol. Plus, they added Nazr Mohammed from the Bobcats; he's another big guy that can rebound and is a solid defender.

Make no mistake about it, the Thunder lost to LA last year due to a lack of big bodies. OKC has just as good of a chance as LA, Spurs or Dallas to win the west. Without this deal they may have won one playoff series, now they are serious contenders.

Exactly what you said. Without an interior presence like KP we're basically the 2004-07 Phoenix Suns. Good, exciting, but too limited to get out of the West.

Mixer!
3/1/2011, 12:06 PM
Kendrick Perkins signs his contract extension, $34.8M over 4 years. Presti increased his 2010-11 salary by $2.3M to $6.7M and worked the extension off that number. The deal also includes bonus clauses that can increase his contract.

Per Yahoo! Sports tweets.