PDA

View Full Version : Not enough gay in the SO today...

NormanPride
2/24/2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/23/133996797/u-s-will-no-longer-defend-anti-gay-marriage-law?ft=1&f=1001

U.S. Will No Longer Defend Anti-Gay Marriage Law
by NPR Staff and Wires

Attorney General Eric Holder, pictured earlier this month in Indianapolis, said the Justice Department has defended the law until now because the government was able to advance reasonable arguments for the law based on a less strict standard.

The Obama administration says a federal law that bans recognition of same-sex marriage is unconstitutional and has directed the Justice Department not to defend the law anymore in court cases across the country.

The decision announced Wednesday represents a big victory for gay rights activists.

Obama's Justice Department has been arguing to preserve the Defense of Marriage Act for two years in courts all over the nation. Government lawyers said they were acting out of a sense of legal precedent, not moral obligation.

Everything changed Wednesday when Attorney General Eric Holder told Congress that Obama had determined that the administration can no longer defend the federal law that defines marriage as only between a man and a woman.

"After careful consideration, including a review of my recommendation, the president has concluded that given a number of factors, including a documented history of discrimination, classifications based on sexual orientation should be subject to a more heightened standard of scrutiny," Holder said in a statement released Wednesday.

At the White House, spokesman Jay Carney said Obama himself is still "grappling" with his personal view of gay marriage but has always personally opposed the Defense of Marriage Act as "unnecessary and unfair."

From now on, the Justice Department will no longer fight to support the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act in court. But the government will continue to enforce the law across the executive branch unless Congress repeals it or a federal judge throws it out.

"Much of the legal landscape has changed in the 15 years since Congress passed" the Defense of Marriage Act, Holder said in a statement. He noted that the Supreme Court has ruled that laws criminalizing homosexual conduct are unconstitutional and that Congress has repealed the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Holder wrote to House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) that Obama has concluded the Defense of Marriage Act fails to meet a rigorous standard under which courts view with suspicion any laws targeting minority groups who have suffered a history of discrimination.

The attorney general said the Justice Department had defended the law in court until now because the government was able to advance reasonable arguments for the law based on a less strict standard.

NPR's Carrie Johnson reported from Washington, D.C., for this story, which contains material from The Associated Press.

Can he do that?

JohnnyMack
2/24/2011, 12:53 PM
The DoMA is a prejudicial, piece of crap law. Get the government out of marriage.

NormanPride
2/24/2011, 01:03 PM
Well, yes, but can the President just declare a law unconstitutional? Or am I reading this wrong and it's just a "Please don't defend this law, guys. I'm super serial."...

C&CDean
2/24/2011, 01:03 PM
Speaking of gay...

Anyhow, I was walking down 23rd St. last night in Crystal City. I've walked down this street hundreds of times. I've passed all the bars/restaurants all those times. I always noticed one place called "Freddies" but really never payed attention to it.

Last night I saw two dudes coming out of there all buddy/buddy and I took a look at the place. Pink flamingos everywhere. Turquoise/muave/pink paint scheme. Then I stepped back and they have the rainbow flags flying from the roof. This joint isn't a gay bar, it's a gay emporium.

A Sooner in Texas
2/24/2011, 01:04 PM
Speaking of gay...

Anyhow, I was walking down 23rd St. last night in Crystal City. I've walked down this street hundreds of times. I've passed all the bars/restaurants all those times. I always noticed one place called "Freddies" but really never payed attention to it.

Last night I saw two dudes coming out of there all buddy/buddy and I took a look at the place. Pink flamingos everywhere. Turquoise/muave/pink paint scheme. Then I stepped back and they have the rainbow flags flying from the roof. This joint isn't a gay bar, it's a gay emporium.

Did you dance your *** off?

C&CDean
2/24/2011, 01:05 PM
You were there, weren't you?

OULenexaman
2/24/2011, 01:07 PM
sounds like it was named after Freddie Mercury...

NormanPride
2/24/2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe I should have named this thread "Obama dictates that gays can now marry" irregardless of how unaccurate that statement is. I could care less.

soonercruiser
2/24/2011, 01:34 PM
Sorry, but I will only post this once...on this thread.

Our current President, his administration, and the Justice Department are a big filthy piece of S***!
Since when does the Executive Branch of government get the choice of what federal laws and legislation to enforce?
Oh! But, then the Justice Dept will challenge a state law enforcing illegal immigration????
What a joke Obama is making the nation! :mad:
Carry on.

soonerscuba
2/24/2011, 01:47 PM
Sorry, but I will only post this once...on this thread.

Our current President, his administration, and the Justice Department are a big filthy piece of S***!
Since when does the Executive Branch of government get the choice of what federal laws and legislation to enforce?
Oh! But, then the Justice Dept will challenge a state law enforcing illegal immigration????
What a joke Obama is making the nation! :mad:
Carry on.It will still enforce the law, but will not defend its Constitutionality.

OUthunder
2/24/2011, 01:58 PM
Did you get a Cosmopolitan Dean, lol?

The Profit
2/24/2011, 02:03 PM
It will still enforce the law, but will not defend its Constitutionality.

Don't try to confuse him (it) with facts.

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 02:05 PM
Sorry, but I will only post this once...on this thread.Really?

Anyone got the over/under on this?

Aldebaran
2/24/2011, 02:07 PM
Love it or leave it.

Thaumaturge
2/24/2011, 02:12 PM
Love it or leave it.

I love this country so much I'm thinking of gay-marrying it.

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 02:12 PM
I love this country so much I'm thinking of gay-marrying it.The state of Fl will sodomize you.

47straight
2/24/2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, they can do it. It destroys their credibility on any number of analogous topics, but that doesn't mean that they can't do it.

47straight
2/24/2011, 02:21 PM
The DoMA is a prejudicial, piece of crap law. Get the government out of marriage.

I'll believe you when I see you at the next pro-polygamy rally.

swardboy
2/24/2011, 02:21 PM
Let me tell you where non-enforcment of DoMA is leading: Ministers sued for not marrying couples because of discrimination, doctors sued for choosing not to accomodate lesbian couples with artificially insemination. There is an endgame here being rammed down American's throats. DoMA allows the states to make their own decisions by the will of the people.

soonerscuba
2/24/2011, 02:26 PM
Let me tell you where non-enforcment of DoMA is leading: Ministers sued for not marrying couples because of discrimination, doctors sued for choosing not to accomodate lesbian couples with artificially insemination. There is an endgame here being rammed down American's throats. DoMA allows the states to make their own decisions by the will of the people.The DOJ is still enforcing the law. They have decided that they are not going to defend its Constitutionality, which will require Congress to hire it's own lawyers to defend the law in court. During this time, DOJ will continue enforcing the law but has decided against taking an active role in defending it.

Ike
2/24/2011, 02:37 PM
Let me tell you where non-enforcment of DoMA is leading: Ministers sued for not marrying couples because of discrimination, doctors sued for choosing not to accomodate lesbian couples with artificially insemination. There is an endgame here being rammed down American's throats. DoMA allows the states to make their own decisions by the will of the people.
Ummmmm, Ministers discriminate all the time in choosing who they will marry. As far as I know, you'll never see 2 non-catholics married in a catholic church, for instance.

cccasooner2
2/24/2011, 02:43 PM
Next thing you know, mixed species marriages will be legal. A Stillwater :).