PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Trade their 1st round pick and Baron Davis

sperry
2/24/2011, 12:24 PM
for two players from one of the worst teams in NBA history. Poor Blake, stuck on the hapless Clips. They're already getting cheap, because they know as long as they have Blake they can fill the seats with whatever terrible product they put out there. It's very clear they aren't interested in winning.

badger
2/24/2011, 12:30 PM
I discussed this with NP. After the initial disbelief - Baron seemed to be good friends with Blake - this doesn't sound awful. Mo Williams was good for LeBron and Baron has had past head issues. I have no idea who the other guy is though, and whoever the first rounder turns into might bite them later.

...but then again, it's the clippers and they suck at drafting, except when the answer almost screams at them.

But yes, Sterling is a cheapskate and while I think he cares about winning, it is apparent he cares about money more. This was pretty much a money move.

yankee
2/24/2011, 12:42 PM
Baron Davis going to eat his way out of the league in Cleveland.

SoonerNutt
2/24/2011, 12:46 PM
How many years before BG is a free agent?

sperry
2/24/2011, 12:56 PM
I discussed this with NP. After the initial disbelief - Baron seemed to be good friends with Blake - this doesn't sound awful. Mo Williams was good for LeBron and Baron has had past head issues. I have no idea who the other guy is though, and whoever the first rounder turns into might bite them later.

...but then again, it's the clippers and they suck at drafting, except when the answer almost screams at them.

But yes, Sterling is a cheapskate and while I think he cares about winning, it is apparent he cares about money more. This was pretty much a money move.

Mo Willliams has had issues as well. On that front, it's basically neutral. So you swapped malcontents, and gave away a lottery pick to save a couple bucks. That's the Clippers for you.

badger
2/24/2011, 01:06 PM
How many years before BG is a free agent?

Two, unfortunately, unless the Clippers are dumb and opt out sooner. Rookie contracts are now for two years (and scaled based on where the player was taken), with team options for the third and fourth years.

The Clippers are indeed stupid, so don't put it past them to trade BG for the highest money offer... but that still wouldn't make Blake a free agent.

ouleaf
2/24/2011, 01:57 PM
Very confused by this trade as both teams really aren't in the playoff hunt. Feel really bad for Davis, but at the same time he isn't getting any younger and is due a lot of money. When he has his head right, he is still a quality PG.

Mo Williams is a good, experienced PG that will help the Clippers in their youth movement with Blake, Jordan, and Gordon. Plus it will of course save Mr. Sterling some coin.

KBoomer11
2/24/2011, 02:34 PM
The trade makes sense to me. Mo Williams played an important part on one of the top teams in the league for several years. Moon is a pretty decent wing player. And Baron Davis really isn't very good. The draft will be one of the weakest ever so why not give up your first round pick? The Clippers got better with this trade.

badger
2/24/2011, 02:45 PM
I know, but that draft pick... argh, why am I upset over a draft pick... it's the Clippers... but poor Blake. Will any free agents come to LA-lite? Or will BG be doomed to bide his time till free agency?

KBoomer11
2/24/2011, 02:57 PM
He might just have to wait. I understand players don't want to go to the Clippers because of the Lakers, but is it really that bad? Your in Los Angeles, nice arena, one of the top PF's in the league... I think they can get someone good at some point. If not, I'm sure the Thunder can open up a spot for BG :D

yankee
2/24/2011, 03:25 PM
I know, but that draft pick... argh, why am I upset over a draft pick... it's the Clippers... but poor Blake. Will any free agents come to LA-lite? Or will BG be doomed to bide his time till free agency?

The Clips really don't need draft picks. They're one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

sooner59
2/24/2011, 03:30 PM
I think it was a great move. Lots of Thunder trades going on right now as well. Sad to see Jeff Green go.

Sooner95
2/24/2011, 04:41 PM
Good trade imo. Davis is not the player he once was, and has a HUGE contract. Mo is a good PG, and Moon is serviceable for the frontline.

And yes, this years draft will be one of the weakest we've seen in some time.

badger
2/24/2011, 04:55 PM
In addition to miserly motives, I wonder if they're going to try to go after a big free agent again, like they've tried (and failed) in the past with the likes of Kobe and LeBron

Blue
2/24/2011, 06:11 PM
Eric Gordon is the Clips point guard. Davis was a backup and Mo Williams> than B Davis.

The draft pick hurts but all and all not a bad move, imo.

badger
2/24/2011, 06:31 PM
BG might be exactly who they need to bring a big name free agent in, but that owner does more harm than good... if only someone else owned the Clippers... if only the Clippers didn't exist and BG could have been drafted by OKC instead... if only if only

SteelClip49
2/24/2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry folks, Blake Griffin is a Clipper for life! He will bring my Clippers some NBA titles in the near future!

cccasooner2
2/24/2011, 11:56 PM
Mo Williams is a good, experienced PG that will help the Clippers in their youth movement with Blake, Jordan, and Gordon. Plus it will of course save Mr. Sterling some coin.

Does anyone know of a time the Clippers were not in a "youth movement"? The Clippers have always sucked.

yankee
2/25/2011, 12:29 AM
Eric Gordon is the Clips point guard. Davis was a backup and Mo Williams> than B Davis.

The draft pick hurts but all and all not a bad move, imo.

Eric Gordon is the Clippers shooting guard. Davis and Eric Bledsoe were splitting the PG duties, and now it'll be Williams and Bledsoe. Randy Foye is currently starting at SG for the Clips because Gordon is injured.....again.

Blue
2/25/2011, 01:27 AM
Eric Gordon is the Clippers shooting guard. Davis and Eric Bledsoe were splitting the PG duties, and now it'll be Williams and Bledsoe. Randy Foye is currently starting at SG for the Clips because Gordon is injured.....again.

Ok, my bad. I just remember Davis coming in off the bench when Gordon was tearing it up. Anyway, Bledsoe and Foye aren't bad either. These guys were winning alot more than they were losing when they were healthy and started gelling. Thats the team i hope to see next year.

yankee
2/25/2011, 02:47 AM
Ok, my bad. I just remember Davis coming in off the bench when Gordon was tearing it up. Anyway, Bledsoe and Foye aren't bad either. These guys were winning alot more than they were losing when they were healthy and started gelling. Thats the team i hope to see next year.

They had a nice stretch a few weeks before the all-star break where they were winning the majority of their games. They've got a good core like you said, they just gotta stay healthy.

C&CDean
2/25/2011, 09:47 AM
Sorry folks, Blake Griffin is a Clipper for life! He will bring my Clippers some NBA titles in the near future!

Why do you hate Blake Griffin?

For Blake's sake, I hope he eventually goes somewhere where he has at least a slim chance of winning a championship. He's worked way too hard to be mired in LA.

My Opinion Matters
2/25/2011, 10:20 AM
This was actually a great move by the Clippers. This is a case of addition by subtraction. They're a better team without Baron Davis, regardless of who they got in return. The Clippers made the Cavs look like the Clippers in this deal. Now if the Clippers would just get rid of Vinny Del Negro, they might actually get somewhere.

badger
2/25/2011, 05:50 PM
Though they be separated by trade, they are now gonna grace the airwaves in a new KIA ad:

B98WC1FWe4k