PDA

View Full Version : Everyone see this ? {SEC related}

boomermagic
2/23/2011, 04:32 PM
HBO digging into SEC’s darker side?
http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/02/hbo-digging-into-secs-darker-side/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChuckOliverFootball+%28Chuck+ Oliver+Football%29

ouleaf
2/23/2011, 04:50 PM
Really hope HBO is actually able to run with this!

MeMyself&Me
2/23/2011, 05:01 PM
I heard Finebaum (spelling?) refer to this the other day but when I went online to search for information on what it was about, I couldn't find anything, even on the HBO site.

For what it's worth, it sounded like Finebaum expected it to be pretty big, and by what's said in that link, it very well might be a huge moment for the SEC... like say SWC moment.

badger
2/23/2011, 05:02 PM
It's not like they're really trying to hide anything. S-E-C! S-E-C!

OK2U
2/23/2011, 05:17 PM
Here's the update:
http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/02/more-details-on-hbos-investigation-into-sec/

n a March 30th episode, HBO's Real Sports will run a story that examines some of the darker means and methods used to lure football players to college campuses.

At this point it appears as though the feature will be entirely focused on the schools of the SEC. Former Auburn player Stanley McClover is the only player that is currently confirmed to have taken part in the Real Sports piece. McClover supposedly talks about benefits he received while at Auburn. These benefits, which would be deemed improper by the NCAA, were given to him by a former position coach and continued throughout McClover's time at Auburn. It is also rumored that former Alabama player Chris Keys will speak with HBO about his recruitment process and illegial benefits he may have continued to receive once he was on campus.

Fair or not, expect the majority of the speculation as to which assistant coach gave McClover these improper benefits to be focused on former Auburn running back coach Eddie Gran. Gran has long been considered one of the nation's top recruiters and his area of speciality has always been South Florida. Gran was a key component in Fort Lauderdale's Dillard High (McClover's high school) becoming a pipeline to Auburn. It is worth noting that when McClover declared early for the NFL draft he specifically thanked three coaches: Tommy Tubberville (head coach), Terry Price (position coach), and Eddie Gran. By no means am I insinuating that because a player mentioned a coach as he departed for the NFL that this is somehow proof that something illegal took place. However, it would point to the fact that there was a greater relationship with McClover and Gran than Gran just being the coach that happened to recruit him. After Leaving Auburn, Gran was at Tennessee with Lane Kiffin for one year in Knoxville and is now at Florida State.

In my opinion there are some questions surrounding the credibility of Chris Keys. Keys was only in Tuscaloosa for two years and left the university under less than ideal circumstances after being dismissed by Mike Shula in 2006. Keys also had serious character concerns steeming from his time in high school.

It is true there is a statue of limitations on the time frame that the NCAA can pursue programs for committing violations of this nature and that window (four years) has since closed in the case of both McClover and Keys. Having said that, there are a few clauses in the NCAA guidelines that could open the door for the NCAA to pursue these programs. The most notable one would be that if the NCAA believes a program has "a blatant disregard for the Association’s fundamental recruiting, extra-benefit, academic or ethical-conduct regulations" they can pursue that program regardless of the time that has passed.
Stay tuned to ChuckOliver. Net for more on this developing story, and click here if you missed Chuck's original article about HBO's investigation of the SEC. (http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/02/hbo-digging-into-secs-darker-side/)

Radar's Left Hand
2/23/2011, 05:20 PM
I wish yahoosports would dig into this. They seem awfully quiet.

badger
2/23/2011, 05:35 PM
The reaction when it became known that an NBA ref was fixing games among fans was "which one?" The reactin was not disbelief, it was which crappy ref that I've been questioning the calls of for years finally got called for shoddy reffing.

When HBO says its going to focus on SEC most severe violators of NCAA rules, the reaction once again is gonna be "which one?" Not disbelief, but which SEC school that I've been suspecting has been cheating for years has finally been caught with its hand in the cookie jar.

silverwheels
2/23/2011, 09:06 PM
Everyone in the SEC but Vanderbilt cheats really hard. Vandy just doesn't care. I think they still don't even have an Athletics Director.

oudavid1
2/24/2011, 12:43 AM
Everyone in the SEC but Vanderbilt cheats really hard. Vandy just doesn't care. I think they still don't even have an Athletics Director.

Because they know who is boss in that state.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0128/8981/crush_crop_340x234.jpg

silverwheels
2/24/2011, 08:44 AM
Or because they just don't care about athletics. It's not like Tennessee has been relevant in the past decade...

KantoSooner
2/24/2011, 09:32 AM
And Vandy has academics to be proud of.

For those of you who graduated from other SEC schools, use your phonics and sound that out: "aa-kah-dehm-iks" it means "school stuff". **** what goes on in them buildings you never went inside there on the campus.

oudavid1
2/24/2011, 09:50 AM
Or because they just don't care about athletics. It's not like Tennessee has been relevant in the past decade...

lol we are working on it.

PalmBeachSooner
2/24/2011, 02:11 PM
The reaction when it became known that an NBA ref was fixing games among fans was "which one?" The reactin was not disbelief, it was which crappy ref that I've been questioning the calls of for years finally got called for shoddy reffing.

When HBO says its going to focus on SEC most severe violators of NCAA rules, the reaction once again is gonna be "which one?" Not disbelief, but which SEC school that I've been suspecting has been cheating for years has finally been caught with its hand in the cookie jar.

In this case it's which one(s). The emphasis is on the plural.

EatLeadCommie
2/25/2011, 01:42 PM
And Vandy has academics to be proud of.

For those of you who graduated from other SEC schools, use your phonics and sound that out: "aa-kah-dehm-iks" it means "school stuff". **** what goes on in them buildings you never went inside there on the campus.

The sad thing is I'm pretty sure the SEC ranks higher in the USNWR rankings than the Big XII, even if you take Vandy out of the equation.