PDA

View Full Version : The gift that keeps on giving . . .

Jacie
2/23/2011, 03:04 PM
. . . aka Lane Kiffin.

NCAA accuses Tennessee of rules violations

By BETH RUCKER, AP Sports Writer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The NCAA has charged Tennessee with at least a dozen rules violations committed by the university’s basketball and football programs.

Included in the allegations after the NCAA’s 22-month investigation are charges that coach Bruce Pearl acted unethically and failed to monitor compliance activities by his basketball staff. Former Volunteers football coach Lane Kiffin is also charged with failing to monitor his staff. Kiffin is now at Southern California.

The notice, which was received by Tennessee on Tuesday and released Wednesday, did not include potential sanctions. USC also received notice outlining the charges against Kiffin.

The charges against Kiffin and his staff relate to impermissible contact with recruits by coaches and the program’s student hostesses.

Kiffin is accused of making improper phone calls to recruits even after Tennessee officials had warned them against making such phone calls. Kiffin made impermissible phone calls to recruits as late as Jan. 9, 2010, just three days before he left Tennessee for USC.

UT fans can only hope at least one of those kids actually signed with their school and not USC . . .

“We have received from the NCAA a notice of allegations against Lane Kiffin pertaining to his tenure as the head football coach at Tennessee,” Southern California athletics director Pat Haden said in a statement. “The NCAA enforcement process provides for Tennessee and Lane to address those charges. Until that process is completed, it would be unfair and premature for me or USC to comment on this matter.

Haden, no doubt, is laughing his butt off at the thought that HIS program is not the one being investigated.

“However, I will say this: Since his return to USC last year as our head football coach, Lane has been vigilant in making sure he and the football program follow the NCAA’s rules and compete the right way. Lane has my support as our head football coach.”

Kiffin declined to comment other than to say, “We look forward to working through the process with the NCAA.”

Kiffin: Can we hurry this up. I have some SOCAL recruits I have to call . . .

Mad Dog Madsen
2/23/2011, 03:07 PM
Why does this not surprise me???

NMSooner'80
2/23/2011, 03:21 PM
Darn, I thought this was going to be about Bedlam football, and how it's an annual event for the "other team" to get overhyped, led by the Oklahoma media, and how OU keeps squashing said hype.... :D

Leroy Lizard
2/23/2011, 03:21 PM
What a swell guy.

Boomer.....
2/23/2011, 03:50 PM
The dude's a tool and keeps getting better jobs despite much experience or winning.

badger
2/23/2011, 03:54 PM
How else would Kiffie be able to get all of these recruits to choose SC? Yeah yeah, I know - blah blah Heismans blah blah championships blah blah win forever. They are still on a postseason ban and have scholly reductions. And they are losing ground quickly to Oregano in their conference, not to mention a lot of in-conference losing (Warsh especially comes to mind)

Something is up... I don't care if the NCAA penalties follow Kiffin to SC, but you can be d@mn sure that Kiffie's rule violatin' nature followed him to SC.

opksooner
2/23/2011, 08:22 PM
Lane Kiffin has herpes?

Soonerjeepman
2/23/2011, 08:30 PM
thought it was a lingerie thread...course SHE asked who was it going to keep on giving to...ME of course!!!