PDA

View Full Version : I was not offended

cccasooner2
2/23/2011, 01:08 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110222/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_billboard_flap_jonestown_3

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:24 PM
Patricia Barbera-Brown of South Bend, who lives a few blocks away from one of the billboards, said she was so shocked when she initially read the message that she drove around the block.

"I thought perhaps I had misread the sign," she recalls. "It brought back quite a few horrible images and memories, and the very notion that a local restaurant would trivialize such a worldwide tragedy to simply increase their sales of cocktails is outrageous to me, and it offended me to the core."

She sent an e-mail to Hacienda's executive telling them the billboards weren't "funny at all," calling them "extremely offensive and very irresponsible marketing."

Hyphenated last name. Check. "horrible images and memories" Check. "trivialize such a worldwide tragedy" Check. "outrageous to me and offended me to the core" Check.

Bitch is a white, uber-liberal, PC-policing bimbo. Check.

Personally, I thought the ad was clever.

bonkuba
2/23/2011, 01:31 PM
That is a great billboard.......actually good marketing....got your attention and funny as hell.

Who the hell cares if some wacko is offended by a reference to some cult they might be in love with.....or sorry for the victims....cry me a river....they were stupid enough to be involved and drank the shat :D

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 01:33 PM
Bitch is a white, uber-liberal, PC-policing bimbo. Check.

Way to bring politics into it there chief.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:34 PM
I said I am guilty as charged. WTF do you want? Self-bannination?

sooner_born_1960
2/23/2011, 01:35 PM
It's not Friday, anyway.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 01:35 PM
I said I am guilty as charged. WTF do you want? Self-bannination?No, that was my version of

Hammer the ever-lovin' dog**** outta anybody that politicizes a non-political thread.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:36 PM
Way to bring politics into it there chief.

You know he's right.

sooner_born_1960
2/23/2011, 01:36 PM
I think it is a clever marketing gimmick.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 01:37 PM
You know he's right.She doesn't sound like any of my liberal friends, but then my friends are generally degenerates.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 01:38 PM
So my "More hot buns than Dachau" idea for a local bakery is not a real good idea?

Good to know.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:38 PM
"Well in my defense, your honor, it really was started as a political thread. If somebody didn't get that from the crazy, whiney, PC (POLITICALLY correct) bimbo whining then that's their bad. The defense rests."

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 01:39 PM
Who the f*ck gets offended by THAT!?

If that billboard made you uncomfortable, just end your life now. Seriously, put the barrel into your mouth, pull the trigger, and end it so you can save yourself from living in this awful, awful world.

soonerchk
2/23/2011, 01:40 PM

If that billboard made you uncomfortable, just end your life now. Seriously, put the barrel into your mouth, pull the trigger, and end it so you can save yourself from living in this awful, awful world.

Or up the street, not across it.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:40 PM
So my "More hot buns than Dachau" idea for a local bakery is not a real good idea?

Good to know.

Nuh uh. You ain't going there. Worst analogy EVAR. Let's see, a bunch of poor, stupid looney tunes decides to kill their children and themselves cause some poor, crazy preacher man says so - vs - million of innocent people being tortured, maimed and murdered because of their race/religion/nationality?

Not your best effort. By far.

bonkuba
2/23/2011, 01:41 PM

Best post of the day....... :D :D

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 01:43 PM
Not your best effort. By far.

I feel like I have just been scolded.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:44 PM
She doesn't sound like any of my liberal friends, but then my friends are generally degenerates.

If they ever get a career or some unfortunate soul for a husband, they will grow into the hyphenated variety.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:45 PM
I feel like I have just been scolded.

No worries. you'll still get your kool-aid and cookie at recess.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 01:45 PM
If they ever get a career or some unfortunate soul for a husband, they will grow into the hyphenated variety.I have no idea what that means.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:47 PM
See, if you and me hooked up you'd be 3rdgen-Dean. Get it?

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 01:48 PM
If you hooked up with her, you would be FAR from #3.........if you know what I mean.

Wishboned
2/23/2011, 01:49 PM
I don't know who should be more pissed.

Flavor aid because no one remembers that was what was used instead of kool-aid.

Or kool-aid because of the negative association.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 01:51 PM
See, if you and me hooked up you'd be 3rdgen-Dean. Get it?Oh! So the implication is that all my liberal friends are unwed women with no career. Well that is just delightsome.

If you hooked up with her, you would be FAR from #3.........if you know what I mean.Dew wut?

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 01:53 PM
Oh, dont act like you dont know what I am talking about.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 02:00 PM
Oh! So the implication is that all my liberal friends are unwed women with no career. Well that is just delightsome.

Dew wut?

You called em degenerates. Figured you meant they didn't have much going on.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 02:05 PM
You called em degenerates. Figured you meant they didn't have much going on.No, I meant it as a synonym for decadent or depraved and more specifically in reference to their collective sense of humor.

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 02:19 PM
Why can't just once an ad executive respond to these thin-skinned ninnies by calling them exactly what they are?

In this ad exec's shoes, assuming I could secure permission from my corporate overlords, I'd have sent Patricia Barbera-Brown a packet of red koolaid enclosed in a manilla envelope.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 02:22 PM
No, I meant it as a synonym for decadent or depraved and more specifically in reference to their collective sense of humor.

So they don't pc you to death, or smother you in self-righteous indignation? They don't sound like very good liberals.

OKLA21FAN
2/23/2011, 03:02 PM
Self-bannination?

someone get him a towel :pop:

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 03:11 PM
I guess it should come as no surprise that not thinking 294 children being euthanized by their parents is hilarious is all part of some politically correct conspiracy.

Dear anti-politically correct dooshbags: Where are all the laughs outside of the abortion clinics?

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 03:13 PM
I guess it should come as no surprise that not thinking 294 children being euthanized by their parents is hilarious is all part of some politically correct conspiracy.

Dear anti-politically correct dooshbags: Where are all the laughs outside of the abortion clinics?

Tragedy + Time = Comedy.

And I am gonna open up a Comedy Club called the abortion clininc. Then have some sort of motto on the billboard.....

"Come on in, our comics are just KILLING in here!!!"

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 03:18 PM
So they don't pc you to death, or smother you in self-righteous indignation? They don't sound like very good liberals.
They are not the pathologically stereotyped variety portrayed by the "self-righteous" right.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 03:20 PM
They are not the pathologically stereotyped variety portrayed by the "self-righteous" right.

I tend to think of myself as more Pious, than self-righteous thank you very much.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 03:22 PM
I tend to think of myself as more Pi-a$$, than self-righteous thank you very much.I can see that.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 03:40 PM
I can see that.

That is because my eyes are the window to my soul.

LOOK INTO MY EYES!!!!!

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 03:43 PM

So were you outraged to your core like this dumb bitch?

saucysoonergal
2/23/2011, 03:44 PM
It offended me as I was thirsty for such a beverage and can't have one at work.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 03:46 PM
It offended me as I was thirsty for such a beverage and can't have one at work.

But were you thirsty to your core?

saucysoonergal
2/23/2011, 03:47 PM
Nope not that thirsty! ;)

Wishboned
2/23/2011, 03:49 PM

What do you call two abortions in a bucket?
Blood brothers.

What is red and is creeping up your leg?
An abortion with homesickness.

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 03:54 PM
So were you outraged to your core like this dumb bitch?

Outraged? No. Although I've told hundreds of Jonestown jokes in my life, and have always considered it fair game. I did, however, pause to reflect on her perspective. I found it to be a useful exercise, and discovered there are a number of reasons she might find that offensive that don't include her being either dumb or a bitch. She may have, for instance lost a loved one in either that Jonestown incident or to another cult (like Heaven's Gate or A&M).

saucysoonergal
2/23/2011, 03:55 PM
Or maybe Dean hit the nail on the head?

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 03:57 PM
Outraged? No. Although I've told hundreds of Jonestown jokes in my life, and have always considered it fair game. I did, however, pause to reflect on her perspective. I found it to be a useful exercise, and discovered there are a number of reasons she might find that offensive that don't include her being either dumb or a bitch. She may have, for instance lost a loved one in either that Jonestown incident or to another cult (like Heaven's Gate or A&M).

Do you really take moments to pause and reflect or are you really just blowing smoke up my ***?

The ad did not single out Jonestown or the dead children. One had to make an inference based on one's knowledge of said event/s. It was clever as hell, and all the "outraged/offended" people are ****ing dilweeds. ESPECIALLY when they hyphenate their ****ing names.

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 04:00 PM
Do you really take moments to pause and reflect or are you really just blowing smoke up my ***?

The ad did not single out Jonestown or the dead children. One had to make an inference based on one's knowledge of said event/s. It was clever as hell, and all the "outraged/offended" people are ****ing dilweeds. ESPECIALLY when they hyphenate their ****ing names.

Don't you ever take a moment of pause to consider an alternate perspective or do you simply look to see if their last name is hyphenated and call them an america hating pinko?

I don't know how you could be of this culture and not understand exactly what that advertisement references without being intellectually dishonest.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 04:02 PM

Hyphenation screams "waste of skin".

TUSooner
2/23/2011, 04:03 PM
I guess we can't refer to "drinking the Kool-Aid" any more whenever somebody gets all fanatical or brainwashed & stuff, huh?

I found it generally inoffenseive though arguably tasteless. But mainly it wasn't clever enough or funny enough to make me want to drink their koolaid either.

TUSooner
2/23/2011, 04:04 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 04:04 PM
If we can't make fun of stupid people's poor decisions what's the use in having a message board?

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 04:06 PM
Don't you ever take a moment of pause to consider an alternate perspective or do you simply look to see if their last name is hyphenated and call them an america hating pinko?

I don't know how you could be of this culture and not understand exactly what that advertisement references without being intellectually dishonest.

Do you really go "wow, that's clever" or do you really go "let me see, let me reflect...I guess some kiddos died so no, it's no good."

Like you said, everybody knows folks died at Jonestown. BFD. America is steeped with gallows humor, and this ain't even that.

Do I consider an alternate perspective? Depends. I will say I'm old enough/experience enough to have most of my opinions formulated pretty deeply. I will, on rare occasion have my opinion swayed by a super-compelling/cogent argument. This ain't one of those times though.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 04:07 PM
[tag]t boone pickens screams "Hey Kool-Aid" when the pokes run onto the field[tag]

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 04:07 PM
If we can't make fun of stupid people's poor decisions what's the use in having a message board?

Don't go injecting random internets protocols into this.

Nazis

soonerscuba
2/23/2011, 04:12 PM
If you've ever had Mexican food in the upper Midwest you know that the advertising is the second most offensive thing this restaurant is producing.

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 04:13 PM
Do you really go "wow, that's clever" or do you really go "let me see, let me reflect...I guess some kiddos died so no, it's no good."

I don't read like Karl Pilkington sounds when I do it. So there's that. But, I try to allow the perspective in, and I do find it useful. I, uh, figure there are opportunities for personal growth out there. And I stopped being worried about where the rabbit hole goes a long time ago.

sooner59
2/23/2011, 04:14 PM
I smirked.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 04:15 PM

Like you said, everybody knows folks died at Jonestown. BFD. America is steeped with gallows humor, and this ain't even that.

Do I consider an alternate perspective? Depends. I will say I'm old enough/experience enough to have most of my opinions formulated pretty deeply. I will, on rare occasion have my opinion swayed by a super-compelling/cogent argument. This ain't one of those times though.

Jonestown happened so long ago that it really doesn't matter. The billboard wouldn't have bothered me if it would have depicted 900 bodies lined up at the front door of the Mexican restaurant with the slogan, "they were dying for one of our drinks."

cccasooner2
2/23/2011, 04:16 PM

I am offended by pious e-mailers, but not those that make me rich. I have $3,500,000.00 USD waiting for me in a Nigerian Ministry of Finance account that will be mine for only $250.00.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 04:17 PM
If you've ever had Mexican food in the upper Midwest you know that the advertising is the second most offensive thing this restaurant is producing.

Now this is a true statement. I will say there's a couple places up in the Chicago suburbs that are tolerable, but generally speaking, one does not go to a Mexican place North of maybe Tulsa.

stoopified
2/23/2011, 04:18 PM
I think it was lame,not offensive

jkjsooner
2/23/2011, 05:20 PM
I agree that enough time has passed and the common use of "drink the cool-aid" seems to make it even more trivial.

(Test for Dean) It's kind of like using the term "going postal." (/end test)

soonerchk
2/23/2011, 05:25 PM

Logic like this is why we have nowhere left to go.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 05:28 PM

Truth.

MamaMia
2/23/2011, 05:31 PM
The billboard is in poor taste.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 05:35 PM
Logic like this is why we have nowhere left to go.

Are you trying to pin the demise of all that was good in this world on me??

I have some German in my blood but no Russian.

soonerchk
2/23/2011, 05:36 PM
I said we, and I didn't mean the royal we.

And the billboard is tacky, but I did laugh. I'm sick like that.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 05:37 PM
I said we, and I didn't mean the royal we.

And the billboard is tacky, but I did laugh. I'm sick like that.

You're cute when you laugh...even from 40 paces.

I'm out. enjoy your evening.

soonerchk
2/23/2011, 06:32 PM
You're cute when you laugh...even from 40 paces.

I'm out. enjoy your evening.

Don't get any closer or I'll call the cops again.

NormanPride
2/23/2011, 06:58 PM
The billboard is in poor taste.

And the joke was bad, too.

*badum-tsh*

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 11:29 PM
Or up the street, not across it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jpLk1HqbMZM/TNRKRoUu8tI/AAAAAAAAAFk/oSb3SiMnZ20/s1600/Down+the+road,+not+across+the+street.jpg