PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi guilty of murder in daughter's "honor killing"

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 12:18 AM
Religion of Peace (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_arizona_iraqi#mwpphu-container)

PHOENIX (Reuters) – An Arizona jury on Tuesday found an Iraqi immigrant guilty of second-degree murder for running down his daughter with a Jeep because she had become too Westernized.

Faleh Hassan Almalelki struck and killed his daughter Noor Almaleki, 20, in a Phoenix valley parking lot in October 2009, and also injured her boyfriend's mother Amal Khalaf.

After four days of deliberation, the six-man, six-woman jury at Maricopa County Superior Court also convicted him of aggravated assault for crashing his vehicle into Khalaf, and two further counts of hit and run.

He faces 12 years to 54 1/2 years in prison, officials said.

Police said Almaleki told detectives and witnesses after the October 2009 incident that he was angry at his daughter because she was "too Westernized," defying Iraqi and Muslim values.

The daughter had shunned an arranged marriage, and was living with her boyfriend and his mother, police said. Authorities had characterized the crime as an "honor killing" to punish the daughter's behavior.

County prosecutor Laura Reckart said an enraged Almaleki hid in the parking lot for her and her boyfriend's mother and then "revved and raced that car right into them."

Defense attorney Elizabeth Mullins painted Almaleki as a caring father who loved his daughter even though she caused him grief, crashing the family van and moving in and out of the house repeatedly.

Mullins said when Almaleki saw his daughter with her boyfriend's mother, he made a "split second" decision to drive by and spit at her, but instead veered out of control and struck the pair.

She said he left the scene because his family told him to, and later told police that if his daughter died he would kill himself.

Following his daughter's death, Almaleki fled to Mexico and later to London, where he was taken into custody upon his arrival.

http://sheikyermami.com/wp-content/uploads/almaleki420-420x0.jpg

Leroy Lizard
2/23/2011, 12:29 AM
PHOENIX (Reuters) – An Arizona jury on Tuesday found an Iraqi immigrant guilty of second-degree murder for running down his daughter with a Jeep because she had become too Westernized.

Faleh Hassan Almalelki struck and killed his daughter Noor Almaleki, 20, in a Phoenix valley parking lot in October 2009, and also injured her boyfriend's mother Amal Khalaf.

After four days of deliberation, the six-man, six-woman jury at Maricopa County Superior Court also convicted him of aggravated assault for crashing his vehicle into Khalaf, and two further counts of hit and run.

He faces 12 years to 54 1/2 years in prison, officials said.

Police said Almaleki told detectives and witnesses after the October 2009 incident that he was angry at his daughter because she was "too Westernized," defying Iraqi and Muslim values.

The daughter had shunned an arranged marriage, and was living with her boyfriend and his mother, police said

Shunning an arranged marriage is one thing, but living with her boyfriend in that culture is a severe slap in the face and humiliating beyond belief. (Essentially, it is about the worst thing that can happen to a father.) I know these people pretty well and understand how they feel. Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

On the other hand, they shouldn't be living here if they are that opposed to Western culture.

soonercruiser
2/23/2011, 12:31 AM
"Justice"....but, not enough of it.

(Teddy Kennedy would have gotten off)
:D

Leroy Lizard
2/23/2011, 12:37 AM
I remember discussing this with some of my Middle Eastern friends shortly after it happened. Most of them claimed the girl deserved it and they would have found the man innocent.

I quickly changed the conversation to Nina Hagen, of which they had no appreciation for.

Question: What is Arabic for "skanky whore"? I think they said it a few times.

GKeeper316
2/23/2011, 02:23 AM
I remember discussing this with some of my Middle Eastern friends shortly after it happened. Most of them claimed the girl deserved it and they would have found the man innocent.

I quickly changed the conversation to Nina Hagen, of which they had no appreciation for.

Question: What is Arabic for "skanky whore"? I think they said it a few times.

i beleive its "dhimi" but i could be wrong. i had a lot of conversations about this sort of **** with a muslim reporter that used to work at fox who was from pakistan.

texaspokieokie
2/23/2011, 07:34 AM
that also happened here in irving, but the dude killed TWO daughters.
similar @ least.

TUSooner
2/23/2011, 08:41 AM
Good thing Arizona has an anti-sharia clause in its constitution.

What?

OUMallen
2/23/2011, 09:34 AM

What?

That's what I was going to bring up. Looks like American law took care of the problem.

OKLA21FAN
2/23/2011, 09:41 AM

What?
yeah, but if they had that clause in their constitution, this never would have happened!!!! :rolleyes:

The Profit
2/23/2011, 09:45 AM
"Justice"....but, not enough of it.

(Teddy Kennedy would have gotten off)

and your good Catholic Bernard Cardinal Law would be in prison for allowing little alter boys to be fondled by perverted priests. Instead, he has a cushy job in the Vatican, protected by the criminal, who is now called the pope.

jkjsooner
2/23/2011, 09:46 AM

What?

Nobody is allowing Sharia law in these case, not here or in Europe. From my understanding, the application of Sharia law in Europe only applies to civil cases where both parties agree to it. It's like they're signing a contract to allow a third party to settle a dispute.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 10:09 AM
That's what I was going to bring up. Looks like American law took care of the problem.

Both of your comments seem nonsensical.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 10:09 AM
The people of Muslim faith make it so difficult to consider them anything more than disgusting vermin. I try so hard not to pool them all together, or judge them based on the actions of a few. The problem is, when I have contact with these folks, the support this kind of behavior. I am close to saying **** them all. This is hard to reconcile for someone who has never had a problem with racial prejudice. As I get older, there are a couple groups I am considering making an exception for. Hate me, tell me I'm some kind of redneck, I'm just getting sick and tired of hearing about this crap.

sooner_born_1960
2/23/2011, 10:14 AM
12 to 54 years for premeditated murder. I'd say he got a sweetheart deal.

Veritas
2/23/2011, 10:17 AM
Religion of ****. Rots your brain right outta your head.

OUMallen
2/23/2011, 10:40 AM
Both of your comments seem nonsensical.

Sorry you're :confused:

soonerscuba
2/23/2011, 10:44 AM
Y'all realize that if you take a random sampling of a billion and half people with any unifying factor you will get all sorts of messed up stuff, right?

I'm not multiculturalist, and agree with the concept of what you are saying, but writing off that many people based on the actions of even a few thousand seems counterproductive. It's never come up in conversation, but I doubt many of the ones I know would support running over anybody for any reason.

JohnnyMack
2/23/2011, 10:46 AM
I doubt many of the ones I know would support running over anybody for any reason.

I would run over Leroy. With a tank.

Jacie
2/23/2011, 10:48 AM
Aah, the 1500's, what a great century. If only there was someplace in the world where like-minded people would band together and return us to a simpler time. What's that? No, I have never been to the Middle East. Why do you ask?

soonerscuba
2/23/2011, 10:51 AM
I would run over Leroy. With a tank.Excellent point. Maybe I should be the world's biggest reflex contrarian ****** without cease for a while then ask how they would feel about running me over, polling bias was never my strong suit.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 10:54 AM
Sorry you're :confused:

I am :confused: as to what point you believe you are making. Yes American law took care of the matter.. why wouldn't it?

OUMallen
2/23/2011, 11:13 AM
The Sharia law amendment that passed last year. Everyone was freaking out about Muslim getting away with murder so we needed a completely unnecxessary change in the legal system to prevent it. Well, this case shows tha tmaybe we didn't.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:01 PM

One thing that connects us all.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:05 PM
Y'all realize that if you take a random sampling of a billion and half people with any unifying factor you will get all sorts of messed up stuff, right?

I'm not multiculturalist, and agree with the concept of what you are saying, but writing off that many people based on the actions of even a few thousand seems counterproductive. It's never come up in conversation, but I doubt many of the ones I know would support running over anybody for any reason.

Never said it was rational. Just saying what I feel...sick and ****ing tired.

AlboSooner
2/23/2011, 01:11 PM
The silence from moderate Moslems is deafening.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:22 PM
The silence from moderate Moslems is deafening.

That's because such a thing is a myth. There are radical Muslims, holy balls radical, and holy ****ing sh!t balls radical Muslims.

If like me, you have met one Muslim in your life that didn't seem bat **** crazy, this is a person most Muslims want dead...especially if that level headed person was a woman.

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 01:25 PM
The silence from moderate Moslem

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/Mooslims.jpg

"Don't you go draggin me into this!"

The Profit
2/23/2011, 01:25 PM
That's because such a thing is a myth. There are radical Muslims, holy balls radical, and holy ****ing sh!t balls radical Muslims.

If like me, you have met one Muslim in your life that didn't seem bat **** crazy, this is a person most Muslims want dead...especially if that level headed person was a woman.

I've met many Muslims, who could give a rat's *** about religion. They are kinda like cafeteria Catholics. Only about 1/2 of one percent are radicals. Hell, there is probably a higher percentage of Pentecostals, hand-raisers, etc. in the Christian church than there are radicals in the Muslim religion.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:29 PM
I've met many Muslims, who could give a rat's *** about religion. They are kinda like cafeteria Catholics. Only about 1/2 of one percent are radicals. Hell, there is probably a higher percentage of Pentecostals, hand-raisers, etc. in the Christian church than there are radicals in the Muslim religion.

I'm sure glad you said "probably." Ever seen them Mecca pilgrimages? There's more crazy mother****ers right there within a square mile than there are pentecostal-types on the whole planet.

delhalew
2/23/2011, 01:31 PM

Yeah, you're backing me 100%. Which I am not comfortable with. Those folks from Muslim societies who are not crazy as hell, ARE NOT MUSLIM, they are secular.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 01:31 PM
I'm sure glad you said "probably." Ever seen them Mecca pilgrimages? There's more crazy mother****ers right there within a square mile than there are pentecostal-types on the whole planet.

Yeah, but the pilgrimage doesn't count. That's like easter times 1,000. They get all fired up just getting there, but then they go into that dizzying circular ritual. I've always wondered what happens if they are in the middle of that mess when nature calls.

Spring
2/23/2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but the pilgrimage doesn't count. That's like easter times 1,000. They get all fired up just getting there, but then they go into that dizzying circular ritual. I've always wondered what happens if they are in the middle of that mess when nature calls.

They wipe with their hands.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 01:39 PM
The Sharia law amendment that passed last year. Everyone was freaking out about Muslim getting away with murder so we needed a completely unnecxessary change in the legal system to prevent it. Well, this case shows tha tmaybe we didn't.

I figured that is what you were alluding to.. I guess I just don't see how it applies to this case. I don't see where Sharia Law was considered here.

Your logic seems to be that because current US law dealt with this case properly that no other court in any other state could ever attempt to consider Sharia Law and arrive at a ruling inconsistent with US laws.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.pedal-to-the-metal.com/catalog/images/JeepThing.jpg

The Profit
2/23/2011, 02:21 PM
They wipe with their hands.

Only with one of them. The other one is for eating. When they are caught stealing, they cut off the eating hand. Thus, they are stuck with the shiz hand. Not a good thing.

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 02:24 PM
I figured that is what you were alluding to.. I guess I just don't see how it applies to this case. I don't see where Sharia Law was considered here.

Your logic seems to be that because current US law dealt with this case properly that no other court in any other state could ever attempt to consider Sharia Law and arrive at a ruling inconsistent with US laws.

No other state court could ever attempt to consider Sharia Law to arrive at a ruling inconsistent with US laws. The Establishment clause has already taken care of this completely. Without changing the United States Constitution, point blank, religious law cannot for the basis of a court's decision.

--and if you want to cite that stupid New Jersey case, I'll take you to school.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 02:35 PM
No other state court could ever attempt to consider Sharia Law to arrive at a ruling inconsistent with US laws. The Establishment clause has already taken care of this completely. Without changing the United States Constitution, point blank, religious law cannot for the basis of a court's decision.

--and if you want to cite that stupid New Jersey case, I'll take you to school.

So then you would agree then that the Oklahoma bill that prohibits Sharia Law from being considered is therefore constitutional?

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 02:48 PM
So then you would agree then that the Oklahoma bill that prohibits Sharia Law from being considered is therefore constitutional?

Probably not. The Establishment clause cuts both ways.

A party getting standing to challenge the law is going to be iffy though. Really, the effect of the Oklahoma law is a nullity.

Maybe not though. I've had a lot of dealings representing Persians in divorces. To that extent, I have a pretty good understanding of how their courts work over there, how dowries are enforced and how marriages are contracted.

I've also seen what happens when one of these arranged marriages, dowries and all, comes over here and blows up.

Why should an American Court not be able to look at Sharia Law tell a woman who defrauded a man into a marriage that she must disgorge the dowry she was promised in a marriage contract? (the dowry is what the woman gets if the parties ever divorce, is technically payable on demand, but customarily is bargained down to some sort of payoff)

I think a Court should be able to consider the facts there.

Also, what about contracts which specifically select foreign laws? That law was possibly unconstitutional, and generally just bad public policy. It was a knee-jerk reaction to a situation most of the knuckle draggers who voted for it don't even really understand.

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.pedal-to-the-metal.com/catalog/images/JeepThing.jpg

Ok that's funny.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 02:54 PM
Probably not. The Establishment clause cuts both ways.

A party getting standing to challenge the law is going to be iffy though. Really, the effect of the Oklahoma law is a nullity.

Maybe not though. I've had a lot of dealings representing Persians in divorces. To that extent, I have a pretty good understanding of how their courts work over there, how dowries are enforced and how marriages are contracted.

I've also seen what happens when one of these arranged marriages, dowries and all, comes over here and blows up.

Why should an American Court not be able to look at Sharia Law tell a woman who defrauded a man into a marriage that she must disgorge the dowry she was promised in a marriage contract? (the dowry is what the woman gets if the parties ever divorce, is technically payable on demand, but customarily is bargained down to some sort of payoff)

I think a Court should be able to consider the facts there.

Also, what about contracts which specifically select foreign laws? That law was possibly unconstitutional, and generally just bad public policy. It was a knee-jerk reaction to a situation most of the knuckle draggers who voted for it don't even really understand.

Interesting. Thanks Mid.

soonercruiser
2/23/2011, 09:58 PM
and your good Catholic Bernard Cardinal Law would be in prison for allowing little alter boys to be fondled by perverted priests. Instead, he has a cushy job in the Vatican, protected by the criminal, who is now called the pope.

Boy Profit!
This has got to be about the 10th time you have taken a post and turned it around about evil pediphile priests!
I did post the priest abuse hotline number several time.
PLEASE CALL FOR HELP!

BTW - Sorry I made fun of your Cardinal (Ted Kennedy).

soonercruiser
2/23/2011, 09:59 PM
sorry....duplicate

soonercruiser
2/23/2011, 10:01 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/Mooslims.jpg

"Don't you go draggin me into this!"

Hey Rocky!
Watch me pull a burka out of my hat!

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2011, 02:08 AM

Ooooh, the conversation on SO takes on a nasty tone.

GKeeper316
2/24/2011, 02:38 AM

you dont know many muslims do you?

i used to hang out with this chick... totally americanized. drank beer. swore a lot. spent all her daddies money at the mall, etc. talking to her, you'd think she was just as normal as the rest of us... until you brought up "the jews". she didn't know why she hated them, but by god she would go on rants full of **** and vinegar about the jews for no other reason than thats what the rest of her family did.