PDA

View Full Version : Now the Indiana Democrats are running and hiding

MamaMia
2/22/2011, 01:03 PM
:D Head for the Hills! Lets all guess whos going to be next.

House Democrats leave Indiana to block votes on labor bills

Gannett • February 22, 2011

House Democrats are leaving Indiana rather than vote on anti-union legislation, The Indianapolis Star has learned.

A source said Democrats are headed to Illinois, though it was possible some also might go to Kentucky. They need to go to a state with a Democratic governor to avoid being taken into police custody and returned to Indiana.

The Indiana House came into session this morning with only two of the 40 Democrats on the floor.

With only 58 legislators present, there was no quorum present to dobusiness. The House needs 67 of its members to be present.

State Rep. Terri Austin, D-Anderson, told House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, that Democrats “continue to be in caucus” to discuss potential amendments to several bills.

Bosma said he was “flummoxed,” adjourned until noon, and labor union members watching in the gallery and hallway outside cheered the work stoppage.

Today’s fight was triggered by Republicans pushing a bill that would bar unions and companies from negotiating a contract that requires non-union members to kick-in fees for representation. It’s become the latest in what is becoming a national fight over Republican attempts to eliminate or limit collective bargaining.

House Minority Leader B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, “has taken a page out of the Wisconsin Senate playbook apparently” by keeping his caucus in hiding, Bosma said. “They are shirking the job that they were hired to do.”

In Wisconsin, Senate Democrats have fled to Illinois to deny Republicans the quorum they need to pass legislation limiting collective bargaining for many public employees.

Asked at what point he would call in the Indiana State Police to attempt to round up the Democrats, Bosma said: “We’ll see how the day goes.”

Gov. Mitch Daniels had said he supports the policy his party is pursuing in this legislation, but said earlier that this is not the year to do it with so many other critical legislation in the works, including his education reform agenda.

Bosma said he spoke to Daniels and said the governor is “very supportive of our position to come in and try to do our work. He was not pleased that the Democrats weren’t here to do their work. And like me is just waiting to see how the course of the day proceeds.”

Austin told reporters that “it doesn’t matter where they (Democrats) are at this point. What matters is that they’re trying to figure out a way to savethe
state from this radical agenda.”

Asked if they were in the state, Austin said only: “They’re working hard.”

The last time a prolonged walk-out happened in the Indiana legislature was in the mid-1990s, when Republicans were in control and tried to draw new legislative district maps, eliminating a district that likely would have been a Democrat one, in the middle of the decade. Democrats won that standoff, staying away several days until Republicans dropped the plan.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110222/NEWS05/110222048/House-Democrats-leave-Indiana-to-block-votes-on-labor-bills

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/22/2011, 01:48 PM
Gotta love the dems...if we can't do what we want, we will just take our ball and go home. Bunch of windbag whiners.

soonercruiser
2/22/2011, 03:13 PM
Gotta love the dems...if we can't do what we want, we will just take our ball and go home. Bunch of windbag whiners.

POOR LOOSERS!!! :D

The Profit
2/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Whatever it takes.

soonercruiser
2/22/2011, 03:16 PM
Whatever it takes.

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Political/not%20facism.jpg

The Profit
2/22/2011, 03:17 PM
http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Political/not%20facism.jpg

I guess you are now saying that Democrats are fascists. Strange....very strange...indeed.

MamaMia
2/22/2011, 03:35 PM

...and get paid for it.

AlbqSooner
2/22/2011, 08:42 PM
Failing to do the job for which one is elected, which includes attending sessions of the legislative body to which you were elected, should result in forfeiture of pay and benefits for that period of time you are absent.

Take the days missed as a percentage of the total days you should have been present and forfeit that percentage of pay. Also, take the total cost of benefits that come with the office to which you were elected and forfeit the same percentage of that cost, leaving the miscreant legislator to pay the difference.

If that is not the law, it ought to be. It is treating the failure to attend as leave without pay.

If you want to be punitive about it, total the same percentages, apply them to the pay and benefits for those who did attend and let the absent legislators, rather than the taxpayers, pay those amounts for those days. The attendees' only reason for not accomplishing the business for which they were elected is that the absent members prevent them from doing so as a result of a failure of a quorum.

usmc-sooner
2/22/2011, 08:55 PM
they'd fire me if I fled the state, instead of doing my job

Scott D
2/22/2011, 09:52 PM
I've found that in my adult life, if you absolutely positively want a job where you never work, then politics on a level higher than a local municipality or county level is the place to be.

KABOOKIE
2/22/2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a good union.

AlboSooner
2/22/2011, 10:20 PM
This is a method which both Republicans and Democrats have used. I remember a few years ago some Republicans doing this. This is normal politics.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:26 PM
This is a method which both Republicans and Democrats have used. I remember a few years ago some Republicans doing this. This is normal politics.You got a link?

boomermagic
2/22/2011, 10:43 PM
I don't have a link but I remember it as well..

AlboSooner
2/22/2011, 10:45 PM
You got a link?

you expect me to have a link from a few years back? lol. Hey, don't believe it if you want. It's nothing to me.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2011, 10:47 PM
Usually it's a good idea to have the ammo handy.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:52 PM
you expect me to have a link from a few years back? lol. Hey, don't believe it if you want. It's nothing to me.Wow. Throw a rock into a pack of dog's, and the one that yelps is the one that got hit. I Didn't say I didn't believe it, just ask for the link after searching and not finding anything.

AlboSooner
2/22/2011, 10:56 PM
Wow. Throw a rock into a pack of dog's, and the one that yelps is the one that got hit. I Didn't say I didn't believe it, just ask for the link after searching and not finding anything.

OK TF.

I like your avatar.

MamaMia
2/23/2011, 05:00 PM
I hope they get ousted even more next election. Then they wont have this problem.