PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Freeman on Black History Month

mgsooner
2/22/2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry can't Tube it, it's from CBS News. Short and worth a view.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1131418n&tag=related;photovideo

bigfatjerk
2/22/2011, 01:17 AM
I love it. He's 100% correct.

sooner59
2/22/2011, 01:31 AM
Watched this before. Morgan Freeman is awesome. He is a smart dude, and he cuts out the bull****.

BudSooner
2/22/2011, 07:17 AM
Then I guess there is no mention of the Queen snubbing Obama?

sooner n houston
2/22/2011, 08:00 AM
No, but there is a thread about it here on SF that you may enjoy!

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 08:07 AM
I love it. He's 100% correct.This.

Aldebaran
2/22/2011, 10:15 AM
Morgan Freeman is an idiot with a great voice.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:23 AM
Morgan Freeman is an idiot with a great voice.Please, enlighten us simpletons.

MR2-Sooner86
2/22/2011, 10:28 AM
Morgan Freeman is an idiot with a great voice.

http://www.raraku.com/files/Macros%20and%20other%20pictures/Flamebait.jpg

Try not to be so obvious next time.

badger
2/22/2011, 10:31 AM
I do wish that black history was taught more as part of American history and not relegated to a month. Every year back in rural Wisconsin elementary school when February rolled around or that Monday in January rolled around, it was like, OK, for billionth time, here's the story of Martin Luther King... also, here are some posters on the wall of famous black people... including Jesse Jackson?!?! Awwwwwww... :mad:

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:33 AM
Morgan speaks the truth. Some people can't handle the truth.

Thaumaturge
2/22/2011, 10:37 AM
I agree, and Morgan Freeman was great in Driving Miss Daisy.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:40 AM
I agree, and Morgan Freeman was great in Driving Miss Daisy.Ol' man had his swerve on...

SoCaliSooner
2/22/2011, 10:46 AM
I like Tracy Morgan more.

Aldebaran
2/22/2011, 11:00 AM
He is an idiot because, as Mike Wallace was too much of a coward to point out, there needs to be a black history month because it's white history the other 11 months of the year.

Black history month is a joke only in that it actually is necessary to point out that almost all emphasis in the education system is on white narratives which tends to by default deemphasize the contributions of others to the construct.

Of course trying to point out that fact, not an opinion, usually is met with hostility by people who clearly don't have a clue about what systemic racism is.

For people who harp on how entertainers should just focus on being entertainers and not mavens, folks sure seem to latch on to whatever reenforces their strong desire to uncritically drink the koolaid of american awesomeness. Black history month is stupid. If I ignore race, it doesn't exist.

What a bunch of freaking baloney.

Midtowner
2/22/2011, 11:07 AM
He is an idiot because, as Mike Wallace was too much of a coward to point out, there needs to be a black history month because it's white history the other 11 months of the year.

Black history month is a joke only in that it actually is necessary to point out that almost all emphasis in the education system is on white narratives which tends to by default deemphasize the contributions of others to the construct.

Of course trying to point out that fact, not an opinion, usually is met with hostility by people who clearly don't have a clue about what systemic racism is.

For people who harp on how entertainers should just focus on being entertainers and not mavens, folks sure seem to latch on to whatever reenforces their strong desire to uncritically drink the koolaid of american awesomeness. Black history month is stupid. If I ignore race, it doesn't exist.

Well now, this is kind of silly. What important black narrative is there really for the 18th and 19th centuries in America? I mean we have a few, we have the whole slavery thing, which has always been part of the history books, but aside from that? Because of the way society was organized, blacks were kept at the fringes of society, were dirt poor, uneducated, and didn't generally have a huge effect as individuals on the goings-on of the day.

It's not a race thing, it's a socioeconomic thing. In the study of history, at least for the primary/secondary level, we generally look at wars, political movements, generals, battles and the like. None of those things, at least up until the late 20th century, really involved blacks on a massive scale except for the aforementioned things, which are actually mentioned.

Aldebaran
2/22/2011, 11:13 AM
This country was built on the backs of exploited minoritized peoples. That is a contribution.

And in primary/secondary school you don't learn anything about history except for sanitized historical moments that teach you nothing about the world or country you live in. It's a bad example, period.

Midtowner
2/22/2011, 11:18 AM
This country was built on the backs of exploited minoritized peoples. That is a contribution.

And in primary/secondary school you don't learn anything about history except for sanitized historical moments that teach you nothing about the world or country you live in. It's a bad example, period.

So history class in primary and secondary school should be about teaching white guilt?

Are people exploited everywhere by the rich? Yes. Get over it.

Thaumaturge
2/22/2011, 11:24 AM
For people who harp on how entertainers should just focus on being entertainers and not mavens, folks sure seem to latch on to whatever reenforces their strong desire to uncritically drink the koolaid of american awesomeness.

You are jealous because you're not a famous entertainer and no one cares what you think.

Men like Morgan Freeman, Red Skelton, Sean Penn, and the Pope got to where they are by being famous and wise. You wouldn't say to the Pope, "Hey! Shut up and focus on entertaining me!" He, just like the others, has a little thing called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Learn it and love it, pinko.

mgsooner
2/22/2011, 11:27 AM

I guess it's all in how you took what he said. To me he's saying that there shouldn't be a black history month because "black history" should be taught year round, not just 1 month out of the year. That's why he asked Wallace when "white history month" is, because the thought of white history only being taught 1 month a year is absurd.

Aldebaran
2/22/2011, 11:30 AM
No, absolutely not. Teaching guilt would be terrible. But your implied preference is ignorance, which isn't a good option, either. I find it ironic that the same people who always pine simpler times of yonder year, are scared ****less of the past. It's kind of like the old joke that White Churches never talk about exodus because in the story, they are the pharoah. Strangely, our history doesn't shy away from dealing with extreme trauma's to a people when it is politically expedient, such as Hitler's treatment of the Jews.

American history with respect to minoritized groups and those who overcame odds to do exceptional things in this country is lot more intersesting than run of the mill people being exploited by the rich, too. Although surely that is a component of it, it's obviously intellectually dishonest to just suggest that it was the driving factor.

Caboose
2/22/2011, 11:31 AM

Did you go to University on scholarship?

badger
2/22/2011, 11:33 AM
I wish that black history was taught more in history classes back in grade school, because like I said, when you only teach it one day or one month out of the year, you're pretty much going to hear the same story about the same few figures repeatedly... and even then, you're not learning much about those figures because it's just relegated to a day or a month like a token filler assignment or something. :(

AlboSooner
2/22/2011, 11:33 AM
A little overstated Alde, but otherwise an interesting post.

Aldebaran
2/22/2011, 11:38 AM
I guess it's all in how you took what he said. To me he's saying that there shouldn't be a black history month because "black history" should be taught year round, not just 1 month out of the year. That's why he asked Wallace when "white history month" is, because the thought of white history only being taught 1 month a year is absurd.

Yes, but it suggests that black history month is somehow a barrier to that. Institutional racism is the barrier. Black history month was a response to institutional racism. So doing away with it, and then not talking about race can only do one thing; permanently enshrine white supremacy in our culture. That would be a disaster.

Jammin'
2/22/2011, 11:43 AM
While we are getting rid of black history month can we do away with the other "black" things too?

Miss Black America
BET
Drive bys
Basketball
etc....

Midtowner
2/22/2011, 11:52 AM
No, absolutely not. Teaching guilt would be terrible. But your implied preference is ignorance, which isn't a good option, either. I find it ironic that the same people who always pine simpler times of yonder year, are scared ****less of the past. It's kind of like the old joke that White Churches never talk about exodus because in the story, they are the pharoah. Strangely, our history doesn't shy away from dealing with extreme trauma's to a people when it is politically expedient, such as Hitler's treatment of the Jews.

Well, what additional subjects would you have included, and what excluded? Do schools not already teach about slavery? About the horrors of the slave trade? They did when I was in school, and frankly, the presentation was a little too melodramatic to hold up to much scrutiny. Sure, slavery was a very bad, inhumane thing, but not every slave master was truly evil, not everyone was inhumane, these were folks living in the times they were born in.

Do you blame medieval lords for having serfs? Romans for enslaving rival peoples? The English for their treatment of the Scots and Irish? Nearly all of us have slaves in our family trees, we know it, and we got over it.

American history with respect to minoritized groups and those who overcame odds to do exceptional things in this country is lot more intersesting than run of the mill people being exploited by the rich, too. Although surely that is a component of it, it's obviously intellectually dishonest to just suggest that it was the driving factor.

Well, frankly, George Washington Carver may have overcome some terrific odds to be as successful as he was, but he was no Thomas Edison. The mostly white folks who we learn about in primary/secondary ed are famous because they did important things which had impact on society as a whole. I guess you have a bizarre notion of historical significance, which seems too colored by the color of an individual's skin for me to give you much credence.

Let's get specific. What would you include which is not already included, and what would you exclude?

Caboose
2/22/2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, but it suggests that black history month is somehow a barrier to that. Institutional racism is the barrier. Black history month was a response to institutional racism. So doing away with it, and then not talking about race can only do one thing; permanently enshrine white supremacy in our culture. That would be a disaster.

Awww cute, its still 1956 in Alde's world. Sorry, but the world has moved on... without you.
American society has come a long way in race relations, the last thing we need are outdated troglodytes like yourself who are mentally lagging by a few decades, clinging desperately to irrelevant and backwards notions in order to feel good about themselves.

badger
2/22/2011, 12:14 PM
Let's get specific. What would you include which is not already included, and what would you exclude?

Always teach to your audience. I know that's not specific, but I wish that I knew more about the history of jazz music in America before attending OU and taking a class, for example.

Midtowner
2/22/2011, 12:16 PM
Always teach to your audience. I know that's not specific, but I wish that I knew more about the history of jazz music in America before attending OU and taking a class, for example.

If memory serves, humanities is a required high school course these days. Wouldn't that more appropriately be included in a humanities class than history?

Maybe you'd suggest we exclude WWI and talk about jazz instead?

OhU1
2/22/2011, 12:18 PM
Lets make March - Black Physics month.
April - Black Math month.
May - Black Chemistry month.
June - Black English month.
July - Black Computer Programming month.
August - Black Art month
September - Black Driver's Ed month
October - Black Latin month
November - Black Accounting month.
December - Black English Literature month.

badger
2/22/2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe you'd suggest we exclude WWI and talk about jazz instead?

Aren't you being a little grouchy today :)

I would have liked to learn about it in a grade school MUSIC class.

Jammin'
2/22/2011, 12:25 PM
I like the Black Eyed Peas.

not really.

Midtowner
2/22/2011, 12:31 PM
Aren't you being a little grouchy today :)

I would have liked to learn about it in a grade school MUSIC class.

I'm never grouchy. I'm working on an awesome adoption case right now, and about to go donate some $$ to my undergrad alma mater [my law school, due to its outrageous tuition prices will never see a dime] at some luncheon thing, so it's been a pretty good day.

That said, I have a little bit of background in music--was on a fiddle scholarship, married a band director, so let's just put it like this: Jazz is an extremely interesting topic, but also is pretty complex if you want to really get into it. Definitely too complex for primary ed. It merits a decent amount of focus in a high school humanities curriculum though. Jazz played a strong part in shaping our own 21st century arts scene. It wasn't necessarily a blacks-only thing though. Plenty of great white jazz musicians/songwriters, e.g., Glenn Miller, Paul Whiteman, Gershwin, etc.

I dunno, back to the original point, or what I thought the original point was anyhow, I don't see even jazz as being a racial thing. It's a musical movement, which sure, arguably incorporated a lot of traditional African elements, had a lot of original elements too, including gospel music. Jazz isn't as much a black thing as it is an American thing.

bigfatjerk
2/22/2011, 12:51 PM
I wish that black history was taught more in history classes back in grade school, because like I said, when you only teach it one day or one month out of the year, you're pretty much going to hear the same story about the same few figures repeatedly... and even then, you're not learning much about those figures because it's just relegated to a day or a month like a token filler assignment or something. :(
They don 't even teach all of Black history anyway. Like for example in the 1800s-early 1900s there were about 10 or so black congressmen in the USA. I think the actual number is like 8 but I haven't looked it up in a long time. Could actually be more than 10. If they weren't republicans maybe we would have heard more about them. You hear people gloss over slavery and the Jim Crow stuff, and the KKK, which were all democrat led things, but there really is almost no black history till the mid 1950s.

Even when we celebrate black history month we are extremely racist by leaving off about hundreds of years of it.

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 01:02 PM
Even when we celebrate black history month we are extremely racist by leaving off about hundreds of years of it.

No "we" aren't. a) because "I" don't celebrate it, and b) it's not really true.

I'm older than most on here and I remember buttloads of "non-white" history being taught at school. I learned about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad, George Washington Carver, Jim Crowe, slavery, Civil War, Emancipation Proclomation, Cochise, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Japan, Russia, China, Korea, Pancho Villa, Tuskeegee Airmen, Navajo code breakers, trail of tears, Christopher Columbus, Vasco De Gama, Magellan, Leonardo Da Vinci, Socrates, and all kinds of stuff about Africa. Hell, I even learned that tribal chiefs sold their own people to the slave traders.

One group who should really be offended is the arabs. We didn't learn **** about those POS mother****ers. School kids nowadays are probably getting some education on them I'm thinking.

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2011, 01:04 PM
We learned everything we needed to know about that part of the world from the Bible.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 03:12 PM
KC//Crimsons head is gonna esplode.

Just say'n.

The Profit
2/22/2011, 03:24 PM
No "we" aren't. a) because "I" don't celebrate it, and b) it's not really true.

I'm older than most on here and I remember buttloads of "non-white" history being taught at school. I learned about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad, George Washington Carver, Jim Crowe, slavery, Civil War, Emancipation Proclomation, Cochise, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Japan, Russia, China, Korea, Pancho Villa, Tuskeegee Airmen, Navajo code breakers, trail of tears, Christopher Columbus, Vasco De Gama, Magellan, Leonardo Da Vinci, Socrates, and all kinds of stuff about Africa. Hell, I even learned that tribal chiefs sold their own people to the slave traders.

One group who should really be offended is the arabs. We didn't learn **** about those POS mother****ers. School kids nowadays are probably getting some education on them I'm thinking.

Down in Lawton, we gave Harriett Tubman 15 minutes, Booker T. Washington received about 5 minutes and we gave Carver 20 minutes (after all, he did give us peanut butter). We did devote hours to the Indians (especially Comanches, Kiowas and Apaches).

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 03:31 PM
Well in all fairness, the blacks in history say before WWII didn't really accomplish much worth writing about - other than the ones we all learned about in history class.

Before anybody gets all butt hurt, no, it wasn't their fault they couldn't accomplish much because whitey was keeping them down. To their credit (well to the credit of the ones who pursued excellence and equal rights) they forced this issue to change. God bless em'. My only issue is with the ones who still site whitey for all their problems, and the white dimwits who spend all their time apologizing for their great-great-great grandaddy's misdeeds and running around calling anybody who doesn't say "African-American" a racist. Meh.

The Profit
2/22/2011, 03:35 PM
Well in all fairness, the blacks in history say before WWII didn't really accomplish much worth writing about - other than the ones we all learned about in history class.

Before anybody gets all butt hurt, no, it wasn't their fault they couldn't accomplish much because whitey was keeping them down. To their credit (well to the credit of the ones who pursued excellence and equal rights) they forced this issue to change. God bless em'. My only issue is with the ones who still site whitey for all their problems, and the white dimwits who spend all their time apologizing for their great-great-great grandaddy's misdeeds and running around calling anybody who doesn't say "African-American" a racist. Meh.

What do you call 'em?

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 03:40 PM
It depends.

In most cases, I call them black. In the case of the one who shot the cop in Tampa I call something else.

Jammin'
2/22/2011, 03:49 PM
I call me "American". I'm from Missouri.

If you need to describe me by my color, "black" is fine.

If you speak spanish though, make sure and lay the accent on thick.

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 03:50 PM
You mean like "naygro?"

TUSooner
2/22/2011, 03:51 PM

STOP RIGHT THERE, scrotum breath. That throwawy assertion is Grade A Fancy crapola. Only a dumbasz PoS can actually believe that. Have you ever been in a history class or seen a history film or read a book where someone said, "Ooops!, we'll have to skip the bits about Crispus Attucks or Frederick Douglass or Toussiant L'Ouverture or slavery or slave rebellions, or the AMISTAD, or emancipation or Free People of Color or Marcus Garvey, or ML King, or Tuskeegee or Selma or Harlem or jazz or blah blah blah etc etc because it's not bleedin' February yet?" WELL HAVE YOU ?!?!? Mr (or Ms) PoopforBrains ?!?!?? Come to think of it, have you ever been in a history class or read a history book? Your statement is colossally ignorant and shows that you are just not thinking very hard. In fact, if anyone could even be banned for pure ignorance, it's you.
You make me want to say mean things and use bad language because of your abject stupidity. Just shut up!

(And I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

OULenexaman
Ima call ya what yur daddy call ya....Mutt.

Jammin'
You mean like "naygro?"

Haha. I mean the other words in the sentence better damn well sound like you are from Spain. (et al)

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 03:56 PM
STOP RIGHT THERE, scrotum breath. That throwawy assertion is Grade A Fancy crapola. Only a dumbasz PoS can actually believe that. Have you ever been in a history class or seen a history film or read a book where someone said, "Ooops!, we'll have to skip the bits about Crispus Attucks or Frederick Douglass or Toussiant L'Ouverture or slavery or slave rebellions, or the AMISTAD, or emancipation or Free People of Color or Marcus Garvey, or ML King, or Tuskeegee or Selma or Harlem or jazz or blah blah blah etc etc because it's not bleedin' February yet?" WELL HAVE YOU ?!?!? Mr (or Ms) PoopforBrains ?!?!?? Come to think of it, have you ever been in a history class or read a history book? Your statement is colossally ignorant and shows that you are just not thinking very hard. In fact, if anyone could even be banned for pure ignorance, it's you.
You make me want to say mean things and use bad language because of your abject stupidity. Just shut up!

I just want to capture the quote. Oh yeah, and this ^.

Of course my version wouldn't have all the poopy breath stuff.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2011, 04:01 PM
Every post in this thread has been reported, including this one

Jammin'
2/22/2011, 04:11 PM
some uh you honky's be trippin yo.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2011, 04:13 PM
shoot...urrbody know dizzle straight kizzles a nizzle and wont hesitizzle pullizzle a trizzle.

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think STEP is taking this issue seriously.

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 04:20 PM
shoot...urrbody know dizzle straight kizzles a nizzle and wont hesitizzle pullizzle a trizzle.Quit slam'n my ******* doe!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2011, 04:25 PM
I don't think STEP is taking this issue seriously.

i certainly do..I did the one tear since im the indian up in hurr...

casino, not slurpy

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2011, 04:26 PM
Quit slam'n my ******* doe!

Older the berry, the sweeter the juice.

Jammin'
2/22/2011, 04:42 PM
i certainly do..I did the one tear since im the indian up in hurr...

casino, not slurpy

How!.......funny!

mgsooner
2/22/2011, 05:11 PM
Well this thread certainly produced exactly what I had hoped. :)

sooner59
2/22/2011, 05:18 PM
You mean like "naygro?"

Don't forget to roll your "r". :D

usmc-sooner
2/22/2011, 06:03 PM
black people invented the internet and should be worshiped as God's (not Greek God's but Swahili Gods)

sappstuf
2/22/2011, 07:14 PM
These threads are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized.

sooner59
2/22/2011, 08:09 PM
These threads are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized.

Wait, you talkin about threads or black people? I can't tell whether to agree or call you racist. :confused:

:D

bigfatjerk
2/22/2011, 08:28 PM

How can you be so obtuse? :D

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 09:49 PM
How can you be so obtuse? :DHow the hell do you know if he's fat or not?

MR2-Sooner86
2/22/2011, 09:51 PM
there needs to be a black history month because it's white history the other 11 months of the year

They only need one month because honestly, they haven't done much. Let me explain, please. I'll try to be as politically correct as possible.

10,000 B.C. - 1864
Last known records of dark pigment people doing actual work.

1864 - 1960's
There were bright spots here and there for the dark pigment people, like having father figures. Dark pigment people from here on out only have nightmares because the only one with a dream got shot.

1960's - Present
White liberals are too busy tripping over themselves saying "I'm sorry" a million times and let dark pigment people get away with murder, literally, and turn the other cheek in the hypocrisy in everything they do.
Little do the dark pigment people know they got reparations in the form of the NBA/NFL Draft and hip-hop "music" sales.

That's the history of the dark pigment people for ya :pop:

2121Sooner
2/22/2011, 09:55 PM
I do wish that black history was taught more as part of American history and not relegated to a month. Every year back in rural Wisconsin elementary school when February rolled around or that Monday in January rolled around, it was like, OK, for billionth time, here's the story of Martin Luther King... also, here are some posters on the wall of famous black people... including Jesse Jackson?!?! Awwwwwww... :mad:

What is black history? That Africans have sold their brothers and sisters into slavery to make money?

Just asking......

Scott D
2/22/2011, 09:58 PM

slow down skippy.

Granville Woods was pre-WW2, as was Lewis Latimer, Shelby Davidson, Benjamin Banneker, Henry Faulkner, etc...

sooner59
2/22/2011, 10:00 PM
They only need one month because honestly, they haven't done much. Let me explain, please. I'll try to be as politically correct as possible.

10,000 B.C. - 1864
Last known records of dark pigment people doing actual work.

1864 - 1960's
There were bright spots here and there for the dark pigment people, like having father figures. Dark pigment people from here on out only have nightmares because the only one with a dream got shot.

1960's - Present
White liberals are too busy tripping over themselves saying "I'm sorry" a million times and let dark pigment people get away with murder, literally, and turn the other cheek in the hypocrisy in everything they do.
Little do the dark pigment people know they got reparations in the form of the NBA/NFL Draft and hip-hop "music" sales.

That's the history of the dark pigment people for ya :pop:

I see this thread expanding by several pages because of this post. :gary:

Turd_Ferguson
2/22/2011, 10:22 PM
Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey...:D

Turd_Ferguson
I see this thread expanding by several pages because of this post. :gary:LAS and KC are in convulsions right now...

soonerinkaty
I thought that was Nelson Mandela.

sooner59
2/22/2011, 10:57 PM
LAS and KC are in convulsions right now...

Only half true. KC is AWOL.

Adrian
2/23/2011, 10:35 AM

Scrotum breath? That's not very nice...

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 10:46 AM
slow down skippy.

Granville Woods was pre-WW2, as was Lewis Latimer, Shelby Davidson, Benjamin Banneker, Henry Faulkner, etc...

What's your point? Hell, most of the blacks who are "history worthy" are on postage stamps already.

Woods was a hell of an electrician, but he didn't invent the light bulb.

Ditto for Latimer - although he did make it cheaper to make light.

Davidson? Really, WTF did he do that was "history worthy?"

Banneker - smart mofo, but history worthy?

Faulknet? Really? He invented holes in tennis shoes so they could breath. I guess that's nice, but hardly worth dedicating curriculum in school for.

There are a ton more black inventors/mathematicians/etc. who were around pre-WWII. Problem was, nobody gave a **** about them or they just stole their ideas and claimed them for their own. Which pretty much validates my original point. Until WWII, blacks weren't allowed to do much.

Adrian
2/23/2011, 10:58 AM
Is it too late to nominate Nipsey Russell as a comedy genius?

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 11:19 AM
Without Black History month, OU would not have won the 1974 Natl Champ.

its a fact. look it up.

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 11:22 AM
I think it's innersting that people are quick to point out these enormous disparities in access, education, or the ability to aquire wealth for blacks due to official oppression of a formally white supremacist government are probably the same folks who will turn around and say that restorative justice in the form of affirmative action is racist against white people. And obviously fail to imagine how formal white supremacy for the majority of the history of the country didn't just end like a light switch during the civil rights movement. And are really keen to point out that oppression was just a normal part of the human condition that was just some historic thing that people accepted and couldn't be expected not to participate in. That's like saying real justice only came about recently, but your a strict constitutional constructionist.

It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 11:29 AM
Is it too late to nominate Nipsey Russell as a comedy genius?

Nipsy was good. He was on just about every game show at one point or another. I also like Flip Wilson. Neither of them are Richard Pryor.

My favorite Pryor line. "I knew Jesus. I used to run around with the dude. I was with him when he was kilt. I told him not to go across the tracks, f...ing around with those Jews with no money."

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 11:30 AM
I think it's innersting that people are quick to point out these enormous disparities in access, education, or the ability to aquire wealth for blacks due to official oppression of a formally white supremacist government are probably the same folks who will turn around and say that restorative justice in the form of affirmative action is racist against white people. And obviously fail to imagine how formal white supremacy for the majority of the history of the country didn't just end like a light switch during the civil rights movement. And are really keen to point out that oppression was just a normal part of the human condition that was just some historic thing that people accepted and couldn't be expected not to participate in. That's like saying real justice only came about recently, but your a strict constitutional constructionist.

It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

so who's fault is that? this is america, you need to blame someone for anyone to really give a shiit.

edit: and be SPECIFIC!

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 11:32 AM
"Restorative Justice" when applied to people who have never had anything taken away from them, hence there being nothing to "restore" is an inapplicable term.

Affirmative action is hypocrisy. You want to end discrimination with more discrimination? Really?

oppression was just a normal part of the human condition that was just some historic thing that people accepted and couldn't be expected not to participate in.

Oppression will always be part of the human condition, and the United States, being a 'have,' will always probably be oppressing someone. Take the fine citizens of Bahrain. There, we are propping up a horribly repressive government who shoots protesters because we want to have some military bases stationed there. Do we need to engage in some "restorative justice" on their behalf? Hey.. at least the oppressed folks are still alive!

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 11:40 AM
Well, I can see how if you think a people; who were held as slaves; who were disfranchised; who were denied access to institutions and job opportunity; were treated as second class citizens while the middle class was formed in this country never had anything taken away from them you'd think that. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Afirmative action isn't hypocracy. You damage someone, you pay them back for it. If you don't, then you are someone who doesn't actually care about the damage done to them.

And in doing so, you actually have a shot at demonstrating humanity in this country that is apparently so disconnected from it that it accepts foreign policies that prop up brutally oppressive governments with no sense of irony. You don't care about Bahrainians. You don't even know how to.

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 11:50 AM
Well, I can see how if you think a people; who were held as slaves; who were disfranchised; who were denied access to institutions and job opportunity; were treated as second class citizens while the middle class was formed in this country never had anything taken away from them you'd think that. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

All of the people who were held as slaves are now dead. They cannot be made whole.

Racial discrimination is illegal, so if it happens, you have a legal remedy for it.

Beyond that, an entire race isn't presently harmed by governmental policy or societal attitude. If that's your position, well, I'm Irish, my great grandparents were treated like crap and had to homestead in NW Oklahoma to get a fair shake. They had basically been starved out of their homeland. So where's my "restorative justice"? Oh, that's right, I don't need it because I don't fixate on the crimes perpetrated for thousands of years on my forefathers. Instead, I worked hard in school and now eek out a decent living as an attorney.

Afirmative action isn't hypocracy. You damage someone, you pay them back for it. If you don't, then you are someone who doesn't actually care about the damage done to them.

But "someone" hasn't been harmed. You're applying this to an entire race of people. With affirmative action, an upper-middle class black kid whose parents immigrated from Cameroon in the 70s get into a good college ahead of an upper middle class white kid whose parents immigrated from Poland in the 1940s?

Race is a dumb thing to discriminate with.

And in doing so, you actually have a shot at demonstrating humanity in this country that is apparently so disconnected from it that it accepts foreign policies that prop up brutally oppressive governments with no sense of irony. You don't care about Bahrainians. You don't even know how to.

Demonstrating humanity? You're saying I should assuage my guilty white conscience by giving money to American Black people for something that happened a long time ago, and that makes what's going on in Bahrain hunky dory?

What?

OUNC06
2/23/2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110223/NEWS01/102230331/Top-court-overturns-cinema-ruling?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

The Delaware Supreme Court overturned a decision by the state Human Relations Commission that the manager of a Dover cinema was racist when he used a "condescending tone" in telling a crowd of largely black patrons viewing a Tyler Perry movie to silence their cell phones and remain quiet.

The commission also ordered the Carmike 14 Theater to pay nearly $80,000 for violating the Delaware Equal Accommodations Law after it determined the October 2007 announcement -- which was not regularly made in that way in other theaters -- "insulted, humiliated and demeaned" patrons in that manager David Stewart had singled out a black audience at a "minority-themed" movie.

Court papers note that extra security also was brought in that night and guards were double-checking ticket stubs as audience members entered, which the plaintiffs said further added to the humiliation.

The Supreme Court, however, tossed out that finding and the fine late last week, ruling there was no racist language in the announcement, no specific group was singled out and the non-racial explanation for the announcement -- that it was part of a since-discontinued company policy at sold-out shows to ensure that all patrons would enjoy the movie -- was reasonable.

The court also noted that the then-director of the state Office of Human Relations was in the crowd that night, announced to the theater that she was offended and organized patrons to file the complaint with the Human Relations Commission.

The incident happened Oct. 12, 2007, at the sold-out 7:15 p.m. showing of the movie "Why Did I Get Married?" where the cinema was showing the picture in three theaters simultaneously.

The warning about cell phones was shown on the screen and then was delivered in person in the largest of the three auditoriums by Stewart, according to court papers. Some patrons later said Stewart's tone "was offensive and condescending, as if he were speaking to children." And because the crowd, which had been well-behaved to that point, was "90 to 95 percent" black, some felt it was racist because it implied that blacks did not know how to behave in a movie theater.

One patron told the commission she had been to hundreds of movies at the theater and never before heard such an announcement. At least two other patrons testified that they were not offended.

The Supreme Court noted that immediately after someone complained to Stewart, he returned to the theater and apologized, explaining the announcement was company policy. Realizing the crowd was upset, he also waited at the exit door after the movie to thank patrons for attending.

Stewart later explained that there was extra security that night because of a recent robbery at the theater, and on that night he asked one of the security officers to check ticket stubs to help direct patrons to the correct theater since the movie was being shown on three screens.

One person in the theater who stood up and announced her opinion that the manager's actions were racist was Juana Fuentes-Bowles, then the director of the state's Human Relations Division, according to the ruling. Fuentes-Bowles, who apparently did not announce her title but said she was "an attorney or someone who worked for an attorney," then collected names and phone numbers of patrons who were offended. A division employee then called patrons and organized a meeting, including Fuentes-Bowles, after which a complaint was drafted.

Fuentes-Bowles also initially signed on to the complaint with 33 others, but later took her name off it so she would not be "a distraction," according to the ruling.

In 2008, a three-member panel of the commission ruled that the announcement violated Delaware's equal access law -- though everyone in the theater was still able to see the film -- because the circumstances were hostile and one that any reasonable person would find objectionable.

The commission then awarded each of the people who complained $1,500 in damages, fined the cinema $5,000 and ordered it to pay more than $20,000 in the plaintiffs' attorneys' fees and costs.

Fuentes-Bowles left her position with the state in May 2009 and could not be located for comment this week.

Christopher R. Portante, a spokesman for the Delaware Department of State, which oversees Human Relations, said the department "stands behind" the commission's decision.

While the commission determined that the theater's explanations were "not credible," a three-judge panel of the state Supreme Court ruled the commission failed to adequately explain why it came to that conclusion and added that the commission "legally erred" on several important points.

Justices Randy J. Holland, Carolyn Berger and Jack B. Jacobs ruled the non-racial explanations for the announcement were reasonable and pointed to uncontested evidence that a week earlier Stewart had made the same announcement at a showing of the movie "Halloween" to a largely teenage audience.

Matt Neiderman, an attorney representing Carmike Cinemas and Stewart, declined comment Tuesday.

Bunch of crybaby's. Being a whiner is one of the defining character traits of black culture in America. It has to stop or the majority of African Americans will never have a prosperous future. No one is holding them back anymore, but they are mired in self-pity and destructive behavior.

TUSooner
2/23/2011, 12:03 PM

Check the "sell by" date on that canned argument. I think it has expired.
It smells rotten, anyway. As a wise (and very liberal) Jesuit once told me: "If you keep trying to clean up the past, you will wipe away the future." Racial discrimination can no more be cured by more discrimination than hatred can be cured by revenge.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 12:05 PM
Bunch of crybaby's. Being a whiner is one of the defining character traits of black culture in America. It has to stop or the majority of African Americans will never have a prosperous future. No one is holding them back anymore, but they are mired in self-pity and destructive behavior.

I think that broadbrushing an entire race because of the actions of a few is an uneducated manner of thought. 34 of the people in the theatre that night signed the complaint. I assume the place holds more than that? And with 90-95% of it that nights audience being black people, there were more than 34 that didn't sign it? Do you even process before spewing your racist remarks or does it flow freely, like a Jimi solo?

I promise not to judge the rest of you posters based upon the postings of an idiot. (except Dean, who deserves irrational judgement) Carry on.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 12:13 PM
I think that broadbrushing an entire race because of the actions of a few is an uneducated manner of thought. 34 of the people in the theatre that night signed the complaint. I assume the place holds more than that? And with 90-95% of it that nights audience being black people, there were more than 34 that didn't sign it? Do you even process before spewing your racist remarks or does it flow freely, like a Jimi solo?

I promise not to judge the rest of you posters based upon the postings of an idiot. (except Dean, who deserves irrational judgement) Carry on.

Why would you call him a racist for his remarks? He made an observation. In many cases, it's true. Just like it's true that white apologists are doing more to drag down good black folk by propping them up with horse**** "programs" and a whole bunch of crapspeak. Don't get upset with him for making a statement when your first response is "racist" cause that **** is older than the hills on your granny's chest, and twice as dry.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 12:21 PM
Why would you call him a racist for his remarks? He made an observation. In many cases, it's true. Just like it's true that white apologists are doing more to drag down good black folk by propping them up with horse**** "programs" and a whole bunch of crapspeak.
I have an observation: This board has about as many white apologists posting on it as it does "good black folk".

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 12:35 PM
I have an observation: This board has about as many white apologists posting on it as it does "good black folk".

Maybe, but prolly not. I know about Jammin' (but I wouldn't call him good black folk - OK in a pinch black folk maybe) and Scott D (alright muh****ah for a muh****ah) and Adonijah (seems to be a decent enough black folk) and Shakadoodoo (good black folk right here now) on the black folk side.

I could type at least 20 handles of white apologists on this board.

OhU1
2/23/2011, 12:36 PM
Much of the discussion in this thread illustrates the way truly liberal people think: People are defined by being part of a group, typically by what they look like. Group outcomes in the present and dating back to long dead ancestors are what matter in determining social justice. Life is a zero sum game with no growing pie to share so the government must divide the pie "fairly" - including giving extra and unearned pie to those whose dead ancestors didn't get their fair share.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 12:39 PM
Why would you call him a racist for his remarks? He made an observation. In many cases, it's true. Just like it's true that white apologists are doing more to drag down good black folk by propping them up with horse**** "programs" and a whole bunch of crapspeak. Don't get upset with him for making a statement when your first response is "racist" cause that **** is older than the hills on your granny's chest, and twice as dry.

Dean, he took 34 people signing a complaint out of maybe 200-300 and turned it into a statement about blacks/african americans in america.Here is what stuck out to me:

"Being a whiner is one of the defining character traits of black culture in America"

"they are mired in self-pity and destructive behavior"

Seriously? Would you allow me to post without rebutal about white america based upon the actions of only a few? The fact that you missed this point saddens me Dean.

DIB
2/23/2011, 12:44 PM
I'm Irish. Should I get "restorative justice" from the English for what Cromwell did to my people? Should I get "restorative justice" from this great country for the "Irish Need Not Apply" era of America? For a long time, and in some places still today, there was institutionalized racism against the Irish, but we lift ourselves up, repress our feelings and drink away our problems like any good American. Come on in, black people, I'll buy you a drink.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 12:45 PM
Dean, he took 34 people signing a complaint out of maybe 200-300 and turned it into a statement about blacks/african americans in america.Here is what stuck out to me:

"Being a whiner is one of the defining character traits of black culture in America"

"they are mired in self-pity and destructive behavior"

Seriously? Would you allow me to post without rebutal about white america based upon the actions of only a few? The fact that you missed this point saddens me Dean.

Oh I knew the part of his post that you took umbrage with. You could have challenged him with the facts (you did), my only issue was you running up the racist flag as well. It's intellectually weak and quite frankly, stereotypical. The fact you did that saddens me.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 12:47 PM
I'm Irish. Should I get "restorative justice" from the English for what Cromwell did to my people? Should I get "restorative justice" from this great country for the "Irish Need Not Apply" era of America? For a long time, and in some places still today, there was institutionalized racism against the Irish, but we lift ourselves up, repress our feelings and drink away our problems like any good American. Come on in, black people, I'll buy you a drink.

drink? we have drugs and koolaid.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 12:47 PM

No, your people should have learned to grow something in that worthless rocky soil other than frigging potatoes. Cromwell was an azzhole to more than just the Irish.

waynepayne
2/23/2011, 12:49 PM

I have read a lot of dumb things in my life but that is right on up there.

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 12:49 PM
Oh I knew the part of his post that you took umbrage with. You could have challenged him with the facts (you did), my only issue was you running up the racist flag as well. It's intellectually weak and quite frankly, stereotypical. The fact you did that saddens me.

Fair enough. What are the odds the actual poster will reply?

(Do I owe retributions to any Native American's by bringing gambling into this thread?)

DIB
2/23/2011, 12:54 PM
No, your people should have learned to grow something in that worthless rocky soil other than frigging potatoes. Cromwell was an azzhole to more than just the Irish.

They did. Cromwell and his Anglo land owners forced the Irish to export all their grains and meats and only left them potatoes to eat. Every time the IRA strikes, a small part of me rejoices. I can understand the feelings of ancestral hate that many African Americans feel.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 12:58 PM
They did. Cromwell and his Anglo land owners forced the Irish to export all their grains and meats and only left them potatoes to eat. Every time the IRA strikes, a small part of me rejoices. I can understand the feelings of ancestral hate that many African Americans feel.

Hey, I have no love for the English.

Spring
2/23/2011, 12:59 PM
And I have no love for you white mofo's whose ancestors stole my peoples lands.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 01:02 PM

Hey, we are giving it back at the casinos just about as fast as we took it. Sit back and enjoy the recent turn-around. Pretty soon, we are going to have to figure out how to take it back again.

DIB
2/23/2011, 01:02 PM

Maybe if your people didn't love shiny beads and firewater, you wouldn't have lost your land.

Spring
2/23/2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe if your people didn't love shiny beads and firewater, you wouldn't have lost your land.

I blame the Irish...

okie52
2/23/2011, 01:04 PM
Fair enough. What are the odds the actual poster will reply?

(Do I owe retributions to any Native American's by bringing gambling into this thread?)

No, we are quite proud of our casinos. But I prefer to be called an Indian (Injun will do in a pinch) rather than that vile Native American.

Thanks in advance.

OUNC06
2/23/2011, 01:04 PM

I am not judging the black community based on this instance alone. Instances happen in the news on a regular basis where someone is accused of being racist. Black communities falsely cry racism all the time. They speak of hate crimes while ignoring that the majority of crime in their own neighborhood is black on black crime. Blacks as a race aren't performing well in school. Many come from single family homes and our on government assistance programs.

Do white communities have all of the same issues? Yes, they do. However, the problems are occurring at a much higher percentage in black communities. By blaming their problems solely on white racism does nothing to fix the problems. By acknowledging the black communities has these issues you can become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

The Profit
2/23/2011, 01:07 PM

I'm thinking the firewater more than the fancy beads, but that was funny coming from an Irishman.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:14 PM
I am not judging the black community based on this instance alone. Instances happen in the news on a regular basis where someone is accused of being racist. Black communities falsely cry racism all the time. They speak of hate crimes while ignoring that the majority of crime in their own neighborhood is black on black crime. Blacks as a race aren't performing well in school. Many come from single family homes and our on government assistance programs.

Do white communities have all of the same issues? Yes, they do. However, the problems are occurring at a much higher percentage in black communities. By blaming their problems solely on white racism does nothing to fix the problems. By acknowledging the black communities has these issues you can become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

In all fairness, there's a buttload of whites who do most of the whining for them. You can't put it all on the blacks.

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 01:15 PM
this is all the tea party's fault, isnt it alde???

SoCaliSooner
2/23/2011, 01:17 PM
I blame the Irish...

I blame/thank those smallpox blankets...

MR2-Sooner86
2/23/2011, 01:21 PM
white supremacist government

And in doing so, you actually have a shot at demonstrating humanity in this country

http://www.thedailyrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jesse_jackson.gif

Caboose
2/23/2011, 02:06 PM
All of the people who were held as slaves are now dead. They cannot be made whole.

Racial discrimination is illegal, so if it happens, you have a legal remedy for it.

Beyond that, an entire race isn't presently harmed by governmental policy or societal attitude. If that's your position, well, I'm Irish, my great grandparents were treated like crap and had to homestead in NW Oklahoma to get a fair shake. They had basically been starved out of their homeland. So where's my "restorative justice"? Oh, that's right, I don't need it because I don't fixate on the crimes perpetrated for thousands of years on my forefathers. Instead, I worked hard in school and now eek out a decent living as an attorney.

But "someone" hasn't been harmed. You're applying this to an entire race of people. With affirmative action, an upper-middle class black kid whose parents immigrated from Cameroon in the 70s get into a good college ahead of an upper middle class white kid whose parents immigrated from Poland in the 1940s?

Race is a dumb thing to discriminate with.

Demonstrating humanity? You're saying I should assuage my guilty white conscience by giving money to American Black people for something that happened a long time ago, and that makes what's going on in Bahrain hunky dory?

What?

Aldebaran = Midtown-owned

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 02:15 PM
Aldebaran = Midtown-owned

YES!

agree 100%.

this is a FACT, JACT!!!

Scott D
2/23/2011, 02:33 PM
What's your point? Hell, most of the blacks who are "history worthy" are on postage stamps already.

Woods was a hell of an electrician, but he didn't invent the light bulb.

Ditto for Latimer - although he did make it cheaper to make light.

Davidson? Really, WTF did he do that was "history worthy?"

Banneker - smart mofo, but history worthy?

Faulknet? Really? He invented holes in tennis shoes so they could breath. I guess that's nice, but hardly worth dedicating curriculum in school for.

There are a ton more black inventors/mathematicians/etc. who were around pre-WWII. Problem was, nobody gave a **** about them or they just stole their ideas and claimed them for their own. Which pretty much validates my original point. Until WWII, blacks weren't allowed to do much.

Ahh, but my point was to name individuals whom did noteworthy things prior to WW2. The fact that I got you to look them up is proof of that. :)

Jammin'
2/23/2011, 03:24 PM

Why do you feel the need to judge the black community at all?

And your last sentence, the one basically saying I don't see the issues of the black communities as well as you do, please enlighten me as to what possessing this knowledge has done for you in terms of "being part of the solution".

TitoMorelli
2/23/2011, 03:43 PM
Hey, we are giving it back at the casinos just about as fast as we took it. Sit back and enjoy the recent turn-around. Pretty soon, we are going to have to figure out how to take it back again.

Post of the year. http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/th_N274.jpg http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/TipHat.gif

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 04:05 PM
Post of the year. http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/th_N274.jpg http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/TipHat.gif

is that a thumbs up keychain AND a tip o the hat emoticon?

no, my friend, THAT is the post. of. the. year.

pphilfran
2/23/2011, 04:27 PM
this is all the tea party's fault, isnt it alde???

Nope...George Bush's fault...

The Profit
2/23/2011, 04:44 PM

Who's that....I have already forgotten him. I left any memories of him at the old OUI.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 04:49 PM

H or W?

Or maybe both?

The Profit
2/23/2011, 04:51 PM
H or W?

Or maybe both?

I actually kinda like the old man. He's harmless. I have always felt a little sorry for him for being married to that battle axe model for the Quaker Oats box.

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 04:53 PM
I actually kinda like the old man. He's harmless. I have always felt a little sorry for him for being married to that battle axe model for the Quaker Oats box.
I like Bar. But I would expect all of you guys to disapprove of her unattractiveness.

pphilfran
2/23/2011, 04:55 PM
I like Bar. But I would expect all of you guys to disapprove of her unattractiveness.

I'd hit it...

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 04:55 PM

I find the younger Barbara bush to be quite delicious.

http://blackchristiannews.com/news/barbara-bush.jpg

and this picture is so appropriate. I did a GIS for Barbara Bush Daughter and found it here.....

pphilfran
2/23/2011, 04:58 PM

and this picture is so appropriate. I did a GIS for Barbara Bush Daughter and found it here.....

Double your pleasure...Double your fun!

3rdgensooner
2/23/2011, 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that's not the battle axe Profit was speaking of.

2121Sooner
2/23/2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but she kills my mood.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 05:07 PM
But what if you're in the mood for cookies and milk and a nice bedtime story?

Aldebaran
2/23/2011, 05:12 PM

But it is still a problem.

Beyond that, an entire race isn't presently harmed by governmental policy or societal attitude.

Of course, that's not arguably true. A majority of whites of blame of the African American community for their lack of success since the civil rights era. It's pretty dammed popular. Folks act like a group of folks who were completely impoverished by a formal governmental racism all the way up to the point of the civil rights movement when they were denied access to Departmental of Agriculture loans to farmers, use of VA benefits, access to FHA loans which by todays value equals about 4.8 trillion dollars in wealth generation for whites who live in better homes in towns that were sun-down towns, who have better school districts, with a strong tax base, and better teachers (but obviously no respect for them) and educational opportunity, not to mention the fact that whites are 50% more likely to get a call back on a job application than a black person with a black sounding name with similar qualifications should simply and quite magically in my opinion compete, not only that, but work harder because they have to overcome all of that societal disadvantage and the prevailing scorn that the community is just of bunch of lazy, self destructive, **** ups who are held back by liberal guilt(which is some racist bull**** by the way). That's societal attitude.

And the simple truth is that the black community is harmed by race neutral governmental policy as a whole and it is conveniently ignored by white people because it is politically expedient and they've continued the dominant narrative of "there's nothing wrong" that mirrors almost exactly the sentiment of the white community during the civil rights movement when the country was formally white supremacist and 66% of whites responded to surveys that they felt blacks had exactly equal opportunity for success in this country as whites. So, resistence to the notion that there is still something wrong doesn't come as any surprise to me. It might get in the way of personal acquisition of wealth and power or--more likely--dream of it (my freedom > your equality). Same as it ever was. And jackasses like Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby don't help with thier exception to the rule sucess story jackassery. It isn't constructive, at all.

If that's your position, well, I'm Irish, my great grandparents were treated like crap and had to homestead in NW Oklahoma to get a fair shake. They had basically been starved out of their homeland. So where's my "restorative justice"? Oh, that's right, I don't need it because I don't fixate on the crimes perpetrated for thousands of years on my forefathers. Instead, I worked hard in school and now eek out a decent living as an attorney.

Are you ****ing kidding me? You cite your families land-run farm success story with no sense of irony as a case of not needing restorative justice? "all my family had to do was participate in stealing some land from Indians, and shazzam, so we're self made people. All on our own." Hilarious. But, yeah, the story of the Irish joining the white club is well documented, and irish racism against blacks was some of the most brutal in the history of race relations in this country because the Irish were competing for societal position which is also well documented. Excellent. Excellent examples bro. How many blacks were in the land run?

What?

It's your guilty conscious. Not mine. I don't have time for notions of being guilty for being white. I do however recognize that it is still quite relevant to my position in society. Because I'm not prevented by idiology from seeing objective reality.

p.s. Affirmative Action was supposed to be a temporary response to the harm done post WWII. Resistence to that policy was immediate, that's why it is an example of resistence to restorative justice.

pphilfran
2/23/2011, 05:14 PM

Of course, that's not arguably true. A majority of whites of blame of the African American community for their lack of success since the civil rights era. It's pretty dammed popular. Folks act like a group of folks who were completely impoverished by a formal governmental racism all the way up to the point of the civil rights movement when they were denied access to Departmental of Agriculture loans to farmers, use of VA benefits, access to FHA loans which by todays value equals about 4.8 trillion dollars in wealth generation for whites who live in better homes in towns that were sun-down towns, who have better school districts, with a strong tax base, and better teachers (but obviously no respect for them) and educational opportunity, not to mention the fact that whites are 50% more likely to get a call back on a job application than a black person with a black sounding name with similar qualifications should simply and quite magically in my opinion compete, not only that, but work harder because they have to overcome all of that societal disadvantage and the prevailing scorn that the community is just of bunch of lazy, self destructive, **** ups who are held back by liberal guilt(which is some racist bull**** by the way). That's societal attitude.

And the simple truth is that the black community is harmed by race neutral governmental policy as a whole and it is conveniently ignored by white people because it is politically expedient and they've continued the dominant narrative of "there's nothing wrong" that mirrors almost exactly the sentiment of the white community during the civil rights movement when the country was formally white supremacist and 66% of whites responded to surveys that they felt blacks had exactly equal opportunity for success in this country as whites. So, resistence to the notion that there is still something wrong doesn't come as any surprise to me. It might get in the way of personal acquisition of wealth and power or--more likely--dream of it (my freedom > your equality). Same as it ever was. And jackasses like Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby don't help with thier exception to the rule sucess story jackassery. It isn't constructive, at all.

Are you ****ing kidding me? You cite your families land-run farm success story with no sense of irony as a case of not needing restorative justice? "all my family had to do was participate in stealing some land from Indians, and shazzam, so we're self made people. All on our own." Hilarious. But, yeah, the story of the Irish joining the white club is well documented, and irish racism against blacks was some of the most brutal in the history of race relations in this country because the Irish were competing for societal position which is also well documented. Excellent. Excellent examples bro.

It's your guilty conscious. Not mine. I don't have time for notions of being guilty for being white. I do however recognize that it is still quite relevant to my position in society. Because I'm not prevented by idiology from seeing objective reality.

p.s. Affirmative Action was supposed to be a temporary response to the harm done post WWII. Resistence to that policy was immediate, that's why it is an example of resistence to restorative justice.

Seems to me you are low on guilt and high on entitlement...

Scott D
2/23/2011, 05:54 PM
I always enjoy threads that tell me how I'm supposed to think and feel about certain social subjects.

Caboose
2/23/2011, 05:56 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me? You cite your families land-run farm success story with no sense of irony as a case of not needing restorative justice? "all my family had to do was participate in stealing some land from Indians, and shazzam, so we're self made people. All on our own." Hilarious. But, yeah, the story of the Irish joining the white club is well documented, and irish racism against blacks was some of the most brutal in the history of race relations in this country because the Irish were competing for societal position which is also well documented. Excellent. Excellent examples bro. How many blacks were in the land run?

This guy actually paid someone to tell him this ****.

okie52
2/23/2011, 06:10 PM

What is your position in society that has been elevated by being white?

What % of the US population is Black?

What color is our president?

The Profit
2/23/2011, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not the battle axe Profit was speaking of.

You would be right about that. She is living proof that there is evolution. In only a couple of generations, one homely and matronly Barbara Bush transformed into this little cutie. Hell, she is even a liberal, which makes me appreciate her even more. God Bless her.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 06:26 PM
I always enjoy threads that tell me how I'm supposed to think and feel about certain social subjects.

Oh fer ****'s sake. Climb down off your high and mighty white horse.

Midtowner
2/23/2011, 06:53 PM

Like I said, it's a problem, and there is a present and adequate remedy for it. Works like a champ.

I want to email this to a logical and critical thinking teacher so we can play the count the fallacy game. For real.

"A majority of whites of blame of the African American community for their lack of success since the civil rights era."

Is that so? What the hell is the "African American community" anyhow? [should the C be capitalized? Is that a proper noun?] I'm not sure who all you include in this community... is it a melanin based thing? Or must you be both blessed with copious amounts of melanin, yet at the same time have an unfortunate socioeconomic standing?

It makes no sense.

Why does this so-called community suffer while people come to this country, not even speaking the language, and end up being prosperous? What the heck is that? Hard work? What is this community's excuse for not working hard? Pulling itself up by its proverbial bootstraps? Surely, blacks don't think they have the market cornered on racial victimhood. Look at Arabs and Persians and their comparative success in society. Explain that?

Well, there is nothing wrong. That's true. You want to blame society, mostly whites for this plight of your so-called community. The civil rights movement was 50 years ago, and your community is arguably worse off than it ever has been. You really gonna blame whitey for that? Completely?

Actually, blacks made a pretty good go of it in early Oklahoma. Boley and Northern Tulsa in particular, up until that little incident in North Tulsa, but how long are you going to gritch about it? It's almost over 100 years in the past, every single victim is dead now and some still whine about it (I'm anticipating whining, I trust you won't disappoint).

And no land was stolen from the tribes. Give me a break. Tribes signed treaties, some took up the wrong side of a Civil War and were left with the short end of the stick as conquered peoples often are. You can ask my Irish ancestors about that.

Restorative Justice.. gosh I wish you'd quit using that phrase. You can't be restored if you've never been deprived. Do what every other victim of whatever has to do... get over the **** and move on.

Mongo
2/23/2011, 06:56 PM
I am honkey. Hear me rawr.

usmc-sooner
2/23/2011, 07:46 PM
are the blacks that sold the blacks into slavery doing anything to make amends? Hows that working out for them?

No they are just running one of the most violent, genocidal continents on the planet. Face it black people are glad to be Americans. Slaves had it much better than some people in Africa have it today.

soonerinkaty
2/23/2011, 08:01 PM
I wish I was black so I could get more financial aid for college.

Thaumaturge
2/23/2011, 08:59 PM
white apologist

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Turd_Ferguson
2/23/2011, 09:03 PM
I wish I was black so I could get more financial aid for college.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1j7MhUF4rAhRWNFU3hNNJ3UWMEr4Ne q41GH095v6JCmCtMAuhjQ

usmc-sooner
2/23/2011, 09:09 PM
I am not a racist because I liked watching Fat Albert

HEY HEY HEY

I got black frenz bietches

Turd_Ferguson
2/23/2011, 09:12 PM
I am not a racist because I liked watching Fat Albert

HEY HEY HEY

I got black frenz bietchesI had a black frend in Memphis that told me he wanted to probe my corn hole...we don't talk anymore.

OUNC06
2/23/2011, 11:02 PM
I had a black frend in Memphis that told me he wanted to probe my corn hole...we don't talk anymore.

So you're not a Sodomite?

tator
2/24/2011, 11:52 AM
I had a black frend in Memphis that told me he wanted to probe my corn hole...we don't talk anymore.
No fun without the chase?

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2011, 12:25 PM
So doing away with it, and then not talking about race can only do one thing; permanently enshrine white supremacy in our culture. That would be a disaster.

How is not discussing race = to permanently enshrining white supremacy?

MR2-Sooner86
2/24/2011, 10:31 PM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/awesome_thread.jpg