PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting rumors

Herr Scholz
2/21/2011, 06:54 PM
You guys have any kids that you know/pretty sure are going to commit soon? Just curious. We have our 2nd Jr. day this weekend and a slew of kids are coming in. Wondering where the battles are this time around.

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2011, 07:26 PM
I presume your one great SOONER fan who lives in Autism?

Herr Scholz
2/21/2011, 07:31 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan. Just wondering about recruiting.

rush4life
2/21/2011, 07:37 PM
He is gonna take trips and enjoy the recruitng process, but i'm pretty sure Sterling Shepard will be a Sooner.

trwxxa
2/21/2011, 07:47 PM
Don't see many head to head this year. Possibly Magee and McGee.

I guess we'll know more after we see who buys into the "new and improved" this weekend. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/21/2011, 07:48 PM
Don't see many head to head this year. Possibly Magee and McGee.

I guess we'll know more after we see who buys into the "new and improved" this weekend. ;)

DL Javonte Magee. He's a good one. Who's McGee? John Michael McGee OL? I heard he was a Sooner lock.

trwxxa
2/21/2011, 08:02 PM
DL Javonte Magee. He's a good one. Who's McGee? John Michael McGee OL? I heard he was a Sooner lock.

McGee may be a lock, but I understand he will be in Austin this weekend.

If Dorial Green-Beckham decides, for some reason, to go to Mizzou, this could open up some WR matches, perhaps Reginald Davis.

Herr Scholz
2/21/2011, 08:11 PM
McGee may be a lock, but I understand he will be in Austin this weekend.
Saw him as a maybe. Still, I think he's yours to lose. OT is a big position of need for us though.

If Dorial Green-Beckham decides, for some reason, to go to Mizzou, this could open up some WR matches, perhaps Reginald Davis.
That kid looks like an NFL player. Good gravy.

Neath a Western Sky
2/22/2011, 11:06 AM
So thus far we have OL Kyle Marrs of San Antonio Brandeis and RB Alex Ross of Jenks verbaled? Any other Oklahoma kids we seem focused on getting?

rush4life
2/22/2011, 01:45 PM
So thus far we have OL Kyle Marrs of San Antonio Brandeis and RB Alex Ross of Jenks verbaled? Any other Oklahoma kids we seem focused on getting?

STERLING SHEPARD HERITAGE HALL

picasso
2/22/2011, 09:33 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan. Just wondering about recruiting.

I think Stoops tries to recruit kids who he can blame later for losses.

:rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
2/23/2011, 02:10 AM
Thomas Johnson to UT was nice. Both OU and UT are trying to get that Skyline pipeline. We've got 3: starting SS Christian Scott, starting WR Mike Davis and now TJ.

Soonerwake
2/23/2011, 10:07 AM
Imagine that, horns go missing since the first of October, but here they are, back just in time for recruiting.. :confused:

Mad Dog Madsen
2/23/2011, 11:19 AM
I presume your one great SOONER fan who lives in Autism?

WTF?! Pay 'tention! :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/23/2011, 01:41 PM
Imagine that, horns go missing since the first of October, but here they are, back just in time for recruiting.. :confused:Herr Scholz is a masochist. The other orange slushers that used to frequent here are prolly still in shock. Tx ALWAYS wins in recruiting, although they usually come up a little short in coaching.

trwxxa
2/23/2011, 09:20 PM
Thomas Johnson to UT was nice. Both OU and UT are trying to get that Skyline pipeline. We've got 3: starting SS Christian Scott, starting WR Mike Davis and now TJ.

Jinkens is next I presume?

Herr Scholz
2/24/2011, 10:37 AM
Jinkens is next I presume?

Hope so. He's coming to Austin this weekend for Jr. day #2. Our Spring practice starts today as well. It's all very hush hush and no practices are open to the public.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2011, 10:40 AM
Tx ALWAYS wins in recruiting...
Simply not true. OU had outrecruited us on average for the past decade according to team rankings on Rivals but the past few classes we've pulled in have evened things up. Your statement is a common misperception though.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2011, 10:50 AM
Recruiting has been pretty darn even overall. Rivals' rankings go back to 2002.

Year......................OU...................... ......................Texas
..........Rank....Total....Stars....Points........ ..Rank....Total....Stars....Points
2002.....7.........24......3.79.....2244.......... ...1.........28......3.89.....2792
2003.....4.........24......3.58.....2121.......... ..15........18......3.72.....1677
2004.....8.........18......3.72.....2055.......... ..10........20......3.50.....1864
2005.....3.........27......3.63.....2441.......... ..20........15......3.60.....1409
2006.....9.........28......3.54.....2180.......... ...5.........25......3.60.....2283
2007....14........21......3.38.....1704........... ..5.........24......3.79.....2562
2008.....6.........21......3.81.....2422.......... ..14........20......3.55.....1919
2009....13........23......3.43.....1830........... ..5.........20......3.85.....2375
2010.....7.........29......3.55.....2213.......... ...3.........25......3.92.....2728
2011....13........17......3.65.....1722........... ..3.........22.......3.77.....2322

Avg.....8.4......23.2.....3.60.....2093........... .8.1......21.7......3.72.....2193

2/24/2011, 11:55 AM
tx gets a VERY high percentage of the guys they want. Some of them don't really excel until they get to the pros, though. Such as Benson and Charles.

2/24/2011, 12:04 PM
Simply not true. OU had outrecruited us on average for the past decade according to team rankings on Rivals but the past few classes we've pulled in have evened things up. Your statement is a common misperception though.Apology, if your stats are correct. You guys get most of the in-state tx recruits that you want. I should have said you guys ALMOST ALWAYS win in recruiting in the state of tx.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2011, 12:19 PM
Apology, if your stats are correct. You guys get most of the in-state tx recruits that you want. I should have said you guys ALMOST ALWAYS win in recruiting in the state of tx.
That's a fair statement. We don't recruit nationally like OU though and OU will cherry pick top players from Texas every year as well. Both teams get loads of talent every year regardless.

Those stats were compiled by MiccoMacey btw.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2011, 12:32 PM
tx gets a VERY high percentage of the guys they want. Some of them don't really excel until they get to the pros, though. Such as Benson and Charles.

Benson ended his career at Texas with the 5th all time rushing yards in NCAA history (#2 at UT all time). He had 4 1,000-yard rushing seasons and ended his career with 5,540 rushing yards. He won the Doak Walker award and was drafted in the top 5. He would've played in the 2001 national title game if not for Simms' complete meltdown in the Big XII title game that year vs. CU.

Charles only played 3 years but he ended up #4 all time in Texas rushing with 3,328 yeards behind only Williams, Benson and Campbell. In 2007 (the last time we had a dynamic RB), he had over 1,800 all purpose yards, 1,600 rushing and 200 receiving. Plus, he helped us win a national title which is something.

http://www.texassports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/tex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/records_ind_rushing

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/07/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

soonerguild
2/24/2011, 02:09 PM
More importantly, Charles single handedly carried me through my fantasy playoffs this year, while consensus number #1 pick johnson did nothing for me.

2/25/2011, 01:13 AM
Benson ended his career at Texas with the 5th all time rushing yards in NCAA history (#2 at UT all time). He had 4 1,000-yard rushing seasons and ended his career with 5,540 rushing yards. He won the Doak Walker award and was drafted in the top 5. He would've played in the 2001 national title game if not for Simms' complete meltdown in the Big XII title game that year vs. CU.

Charles only played 3 years but he ended up #4 all time in Texas rushing with 3,328 yeards behind only Williams, Benson and Campbell. In 2007 (the last time we had a dynamic RB), he had over 1,800 all purpose yards, 1,600 rushing and 200 receiving. Plus, he helped us win a national title which is something.

http://www.texassports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/tex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/records_ind_rushing

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/07/teamcume.htm#TEAM.INDThose were much better stats than the impression either of them left me. I knew both those guys were highly recruited and highly regarded. But, it never seemed to me either of them really broke out while at the cows. The NC season you guys had was pretty much due to heroics by Radio and the usual favorable officiating in the RRS. Radio did beat the condoms, though, with his deceptive running ability. I was actually pulling for tx in that game, as were many OU fans, due to usuc's scary # of wins in a row.

Herr Scholz
2/25/2011, 11:55 AM
The NC season you guys had was pretty much due to heroics by Radio and the usual favorable officiating in the RRS.
Wait, what? We beat you guys 45-12 in 2005. That was due to officiating? Even though you had 6 penalties for 50 yards in that game and we had 12 penalties for 110 yards?

And Charles had over 1,000 yards in 2005 despite being a true freshman and splitting time with Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young and Henry Melton. But believe that was a one man team if you wish.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/05/ut5.htm

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/05/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

2/25/2011, 12:12 PM
Wait, what? We beat you guys 45-12 in 2005. That was due to officiating? Even though you had 6 penalties for 50 yards in that game and we had 12 penalties for 110 yards?

And Charles had over 1,000 yards in 2005 despite being a true freshman and splitting time with Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young and Henry Melton. But believe that was a one man team if you wish.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/05/ut5.htm

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/05/teamcume.htm#TEAM.INDYou KNOW we got screwed in the RRS that yr. The first terrible call came late in the first half, if I remember right. I don't remember the call, but it was an obvious "error" by the refs. It changed momentum BIG TIME. You should watch the game again sometime. I didn't watch any of the other whorns games besides the RRS and the NC Radio Show, in '05.

The RRS this past yr. was the first time in a long time that the officials didn't make noticeable bad calls. I was really quite surprised, and still wonder why that was.

I don't recollect either Benson or Charles ever having big games against the Sooners. I'm not arguing their stats. Just saying they didn't get my attention the way some RB's from non-Sooner schools do.

Herr Scholz
2/25/2011, 03:35 PM
Well, I'm going to have to respectively disagree on the ref thing. I don't think a few calls here or there would've changed that 45-12 game. And you seriously think you get screwed by the refs every single game against us? You sound a bit paranoid.

As far as those two RBs, I believe Stoops had some pretty good gameplans against them. He was always into stopping the run first and foremost.

HBick
2/25/2011, 06:16 PM
I'll be curious to see what Wallace does on campus (if he doesn't redshirt) and also to see what Demarco Cobbs does this year if anything. How many WR's on listed on the depth chart Herr?

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 08:31 AM
Well, I'm going to have to respectively disagree on the ref thing. I don't think a few calls here or there would've changed that 45-12 game. And you seriously think you get screwed by the refs every single game against us? You sound a bit paranoid.

As far as those two RBs, I believe Stoops had some pretty good gameplans against them. He was always into stopping the run first and foremost.

hate to admit it, but i agree with scholz on this one. 45-12 refs ????

2/26/2011, 12:01 PM
hate to admit it, but i agree with scholz on this one. 45-12 refs ????Like Scholz, you shoud watch that gaame again. It was classic RRS refereeing. I'm not saying we would have won for sure, but the obvious officiating "errors" were HUGE, and momentum changing.

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 12:25 PM
Like Scholz, you shoud watch that gaame again. It was classic RRS refereeing. I'm not saying we would have won for sure, but the obvious officiating "errors" were HUGE, and momentum changing.

ain't a way in hell i'm gonna watch a tx win again.

still, this may be the only time ever, i still agree with scholz.

2/26/2011, 12:36 PM
ain't a way in hell i'm gonna watch a tx win again.

still, this may be the only time ever, i still agree with scholz.All I'm saying is the final score didn't indicate the closeness of the matchup, and the officiating was HUGE in that game. Given your predisposition to accept Scholz ' opinion, you would need to review the game to change your evaluation of it.

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 01:45 PM
agree with scholz because of what he said, not who he is.

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 01:48 PM
i can whine about the "15-15" game, the oregon game & the tech game,
but not a 45-12 game.

it is coming back tho, especially the call you mentioned near the end of the 1st half.

2/26/2011, 01:49 PM
agree with scholz because of what he said, not who he is.I didn't think you had an orange heart. Crimson?

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 01:49 PM
yep.

2/26/2011, 02:24 PM
i can whine about the "15-15" game, the oregon game & the tech game,
but not a 45-12 game.

it is coming back tho, especially the call you mentioned near the end of the 1st half.I can't fault you for not wanting to watch that abortion again.

texaspokieokie
2/26/2011, 03:03 PM
Amen!!!!

Herr Scholz
2/28/2011, 12:52 PM
I'll be curious to see what Wallace does on campus (if he doesn't redshirt) and also to see what Demarco Cobbs does this year if anything. How many WR's on listed on the depth chart Herr?

Sorry, didn't see this. We've got 11 going into this year. And we've got Cayleb Jones and Thomas Johnson for the 2012 class. Cobbs might see some PT at safety this year.

Sr: Williams
Jr: Goodwin, Hales, Fitzhenry
So: Timmons, Davis, White
R Fr: Harris, Jones
Tr Fr: Onyegbule, Shipley

fwsooner22
2/28/2011, 02:36 PM
Herr can "dish it out" but more importantly he can TAKE it too. He has earned his stripes here just in case some of you have missed that. How that's possible I have no idea.

Herr Scholz
2/28/2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks, FW. I took a break from this site before last season for about a year and a half though.

Caboose
2/28/2011, 04:10 PM
nd you seriously think you get screwed by the refs every single game against us? You sound a bit paranoid.

To be fair, fans of every team feel like they are screwed by the refs to one degree or another after playing Texas. Every time there is a controversial game-changing or game-deciding call in a game that Texas is involved in...Texas is always the benefactor.

Herr Scholz
2/28/2011, 05:00 PM
To be fair, fans of every team feel like they are screwed by the refs to one degree or another after playing Texas. Every time there is a controversial game-changing or game-deciding call in a game that Texas is involved in...Texas is always the benefactor.

Oh really? Please list them.

We were hammered by penalties in last year's RRS btw. I think every single one of your scoring drives save one was furthered by penalty calls on us. You don't see UT fans crying about the refs though or blaming that loss on them. The penalties were dumb and deserved. This conspiracy that UT owns the refs is simply ridiculous.

Heck, Rush blames the refs for the 2005 game where we won by 33 points and had twice as many penalties (12 to 6) and over twice as many penalty yards (110 to 50). It's black helicopter stuff.

Caboose
2/28/2011, 06:07 PM
Oh really? Please list them.

We were hammered by penalties in last year's RRS btw. I think every single one of your scoring drives save one was furthered by penalty calls on us. You don't see UT fans crying about the refs though or blaming that loss on them. The penalties were dumb and deserved. This conspiracy that UT owns the refs is simply ridiculous.

Heck, Rush blames the refs for the 2005 game where we won by 33 points and had twice as many penalties (12 to 6) and over twice as many penalty yards (110 to 50). It's black helicopter stuff.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

HBick
2/28/2011, 06:18 PM
This is not worthy enough to create it's own thread so I'm dumping it here.

Per Twitter, Josh M just posted on twitter with a cryptic message, "Could No. 3 be coming?"

3/1/2011, 01:23 AM
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your(Herr Scholz) strong point.either that, or he's pretty good at ignoring and/or forgetting the things he doesn't like to read.

texaspokieokie
3/1/2011, 09:02 AM
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

must not be my strong point either.

i don't see anything in Caboose' post that Herr failed to comprehend.
whining about bad calls years after the fact is for losers.

(i do concede to whining about 3 games, dating back to 1984)

3/1/2011, 11:20 AM
must not be my strong point either.

i don't see anything in Caboose' post that Herr failed to comprehend.
whining about bad calls years after the fact is for losers.

(i do concede to whining about 3 games, dating back to 1984)He was prolly commenting on Herr glossing over my post#27, about me being surprised there were no noticeable bad call in this yr's RRS. Heck, we got the ref hatchet-job in the '07, and won anyway. There is likely a logical reason Herr doesn't complain about bad officiating against his cows.

texaspokieokie
3/1/2011, 12:00 PM
He was prolly commenting on Herr glossing over my post#27, about me being surprised there were no noticeable bad call in this yr's RRS. Heck, we got the ref hatchet-job in the '07, and won anyway. There is likely a logical reason Herr doesn't complain about bad officiating against his cows.

went back & read those. still don't get it.

i'm definitely NOT a scholz fan.

texaspokieokie
3/1/2011, 12:02 PM

this is silly.

Herr Scholz
3/1/2011, 02:31 PM
Complaining about the refs and saying all the close calls always go UT's way is very weak sauce in my opinion. But OK, I can't read. Whatever.

northspeter
3/1/2011, 07:36 PM

ok, everyone pay attention cuz i'll only say this once... the highlighted portion of this quoted post is...... SARCASM!!!!!

Tigeman
3/1/2011, 11:40 PM
45-12 isn't refs. 2008 was refs (late hit, late hit, late hit, blah)... But not 05'. We sucked the first half of that season and just plain got whipped by a better team.

Now that being said.... Last summer scholz we argued back and forth about TX and Davis being able to put together a running game no problem for the coming season. Care to rephrase that belief? LoL

texaspokieokie
3/2/2011, 09:43 AM
ok, everyone pay attention cuz i'll only say this once... the highlighted portion of this quoted post is...... SARCASM!!!!!

how do you know ???

are you & caboose one & the same ???

3/2/2011, 10:41 AM
45-12 isn't refs. 2008 was refs (late hit, late hit, late hit, blah)... But not 05'. We sucked the first half of that season and just plain got whipped by a better team.
Once more, with CAPS. I'm NOT SAYING WE WOULD HAVE WON FOR SURE, but there were SEVERAL bad calls against us in the '05 game, and I particularly remember the one late in the first half was MOMENTUM CHANGING. You too, should watch that abortion of a game again, if you can sit through the whole thing.

sooner518
3/2/2011, 11:08 AM
Once more, with CAPS. I'm NOT SAYING WE WOULD HAVE WON FOR SURE, but there were SEVERAL bad calls against us in the '05 game, and I particularly remember the one late in the first half was MOMENTUM CHANGING. You too, should watch that abortion of a game again, if you can sit through the whole thing.

im pretty sure we never had any momentum in that game.

regardless of your logic, saying anything about refs in a game in which we lost 45-12, sounds like sour grapes and makes you look dumb.

Herr Scholz
3/2/2011, 12:04 PM
Now that being said.... Last summer scholz we argued back and forth about TX and Davis being able to put together a running game no problem for the coming season. Care to rephrase that belief? LoL
Our rushing offense was pretty average but we did average over 4 YPC which isn't too terrible. I blame our offensive struggles more on Gilbert sucking out loud (way too many turnovers and absolute panic every time he was pressured). And Greg Davis definitely mailed it in last year. Good riddance to him. I'm hoping Connor Wood gets a shot at QB in the new Harsin/Applewhite offense. Wood is the better athlete and Gilbert just doesn't have it if you ask me.

3/2/2011, 12:49 PM
im pretty sure we never had any momentum in that game.

regardless of your logic, saying anything about refs in a game in which we lost 45-12, sounds like sour grapes and makes you look dumb.Herr got you convinced, eh? Thanx for your valued input haha. 2 sentences to get to a personal insult. not bad.

Tigeman
3/2/2011, 01:11 PM
All I care about 05' is that I took down 2 whorn chicks on Friday night, and pretty sure I impregnated them with some Sooner spawn!!! The whorn fan in the room down the hall from us was pretty pissed when he saw one of them walk into my room. He was totally outraged when he saw the 2nd. Haha

OUTrumpet
3/7/2011, 01:07 PM
All I'm saying is the final score didn't indicate the closeness of the matchup, and the officiating was HUGE in that game. Given your predisposition to accept Scholz ' opinion, you would need to review the game to change your evaluation of it.

2006 maybe you could fault the refs for the offensive pass interference with Joe Jon Finley (the 28-16 game) as well as the pass that was returned for a TD, but 2005 was just an ***-whoopin.

I remember 2 plays from 05. Vince Young threw a really nice fade and I realized he figured out how to throw. The second was a fat defensive tackle returning a ****head fumble 80 yards. Guy looked like he was going to pass out.