PDA

View Full Version : Bama might be in trouble again.(SBB)

oudavid1
2/21/2011, 12:21 PM
Sunday I reported that Alabama had committed an NCAA violation when high school prospect Barry Sanders, Jr., was shown on the Coleman Coliseum video board during Saturday’s Alabama-Arkansas basketball game.

(Alabama compliance claims Sanders, Jr., never appeared on video board)

NCAA rule 13.11.5 states: “An institution may not introduce a visiting prospect at a function (e.g., that institution’s sports award banquet or an intercollegiate athletics contest) that is attended by media representatives or open to the general public.”

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j3nqd1.jpg

Izzy Gould of the MOBILE PRESS-REGISTER confirmed Sunday evening that Sanders had indeed been seen on the Coleman Coliseum video board during the game, but that the University of Alabama NCAA compliance department has since concluded that no NCAA violation took place. Gould:

Whether what happened on Saturday night violated this rule is unclear. The younger Sanders was briefly shown on the video board. No words were flashed on the video board, and no announcements were made through the public address system to name the people captured on camera. An Alabama spokesman Sunday night said no violation was committed. “Our compliance office is aware of this claim and has looked into it,” Alabama spokesman Doug Walker wrote in an e-mail. “Based on that inquiry, it was determined that no violation was committed.”

While Alabama reported that no NCAA violation occurred, Gould availed an SEC spokesman who indicated, “there is the possibility of operator error, which could mean the camera operator was at fault for showing Saban and the younger Sanders on camera.“ Gould also noted the SEC staffer was, “unaware of the alleged infraction and would need to gather more information.”

If, as Alabama contends, no violation occurred despite confirmation that Sanders appeared on the Alabama arena video board, how could the camera operator, as an SEC spokesman indicated to Gould, have committed an “error” or be “at fault“?

The latter would seem to indicate that some manner of NCAA infraction took place.

Because the Alabama compliance department has provided no explanation for its conclusion that no NCAA violation took place, it appears that the school and the SEC may not be on the same page when it comes to the interpretation of NCAA rule 13.11.5.

UPDATE: Chase Goodbread of the TUSCALOOSA (AL) NEWS reported late Sunday:

“(Alabama) the school’s findings were that the video board displayed a tighter shot that included Saban only.”

But Izzy Gould, as noted earlier in this post, reported for the Press-Register before Goodbread’s story:

The arena camera briefly captured Saban and the younger Sanders before zeroing in on Saban and the elder Sanders, drawing a loud roar from the 15,383 fans. It was then that many UA football fans began chanting, “We want Barry,” a plea for the younger Sanders to play for the Tide.

So if the younger Sanders wasn’t on the videoboard, why did the crowd unleash a “loud roar” and begin chanting “We want Barry”?

I think this is an infraction. Anyone disagree?

Breadburner
2/21/2011, 12:24 PM
Melt-Down on Orange Power in 3....2.....1......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooner518
2/21/2011, 12:29 PM
of course its an infraction and nothing will happen to them. its not a big deal.

badger
2/21/2011, 12:32 PM
The initial story was that Bammer committed a violation, self-reported it and that it would likely be a low ranking offense, with very little if any penalty... like when coaches accidentally say more than "hi" to recruits when visiting his high school, not to see the recruit, but just speak to coaches :rolleyes:

Bammer is now saying that there was no violation. Methinks they will try to get the free pass that the Ohio States and Auburns have gotten lately. Derp derp, didn't know the rules! <facepalm>

NorCal Sooner
2/21/2011, 12:45 PM
much to do about nothing...........

badger
2/21/2011, 12:54 PM
I peeked at OP just to see if it was really melting down... in a very un-poke-like way, they are not. They almost seem to be acting like it's a foregone conclusion that Barry J. Sanders (whom they remind you constantly that the "J" doesn't stand for JUNIOR!) is going to OSU just like daddy did.

I have not really followed Junior's (because everyone else calls him that) recruiting, since OU has not shown any interest, but since it's now forefront news and all, it would not surprise me in the least to see Barry JUNNNNNIOORRRRRRR go elsewhere... and when that happens, THEN you can expect a full-scale "THEY CHEAT WORSE THAN THEM GOONERS!" meltdown to whichever school gets him.

MI Sooner
2/21/2011, 12:55 PM
This is retarded. So if Barry Sanders Jr. attends an OU or OSU game on his own, and they happen to put him on kiss-cam, because the Sooner Vision cameras haven't had his picture loaded into their "do not display" database in their facial recognition software, then they've made a violation? What about when recruits are on the sideline and fans start chanting? What if an instant replay of a sideline catch happens to include the recruit?

What a bunch of BS.

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 12:57 PM
Why is it we have no shot with Barry JR? I'm guessing daddy indoctrinated him on OU.

badger
2/21/2011, 12:57 PM
If the NCAA really cracks down on this, it will likely be said that coaches have to tell camera dudes in advance not to show them during games, because they're sitting next to recruits.

sperry
2/21/2011, 01:08 PM
I don't see how you can make much of a case that the player was "introduced" if they don't say his name, or put his name on the big screen. Doesn't seem like much of an introduction to me.

boomermagic
2/21/2011, 01:11 PM
Why is it we have no shot with Barry JR? I'm guessing daddy indoctrinated him on OU.

I think thats the case.. At least in the minds of most fans.. I haven't given up we have time if Bob will play his cards right.. There is still hope though IMO..

Dwight
2/21/2011, 01:13 PM
This is retarded. So if Barry Sanders Jr. attends an OU or OSU game on his own, and they happen to put him on kiss-cam, because the Sooner Vision cameras haven't had his picture loaded into their "do not display" database in their facial recognition software, then they've made a violation? What about when recruits are on the sideline and fans start chanting? What if an instant replay of a sideline catch happens to include the recruit?

What a bunch of BS.

He wasn't on his own, he was sitting next to Saban

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 01:17 PM
It kinda pisses me off when other schools walk into our backyard and poach elite players like Josh Turner and Barry JR but if they don't wanna be Sooners then screw em.

badger
2/21/2011, 01:18 PM
I think thats the case.. At least in the minds of most fans.. I haven't given up we have time if Bob will play his cards right.. There is still hope though IMO..

I don't. Hasn't Barry only been back to OSU one time since playing there, the 2002 Bedl@m game? I think it was said that he wasn't even planning on being there, but decided at the last second to go.

I really don't think Barry is hardcore OSU. Hell, is OSU hardcore Barry Sanders? They turned down a FREE Barry Sanders Heisman statue for their campus from the Centennial commission. The Centennial commish was responsible for OU's Heisman Park and offered to do the same for OSU's Heisman winners...er, I mean "winner."

Soonerfan88
2/21/2011, 01:28 PM
I don't see how you can make much of a case that the player was "introduced" if they don't say his name, or put his name on the big screen. Doesn't seem like much of an introduction to me.

This is my interpretation also. If there is no introduction, there is no violation and it's just much ado about nothing.

sperry
2/21/2011, 01:47 PM
Is Sander's Jr. even that good? I doubt Saban personally takes to basketball games and sits with most prospects.

MI Sooner
2/21/2011, 02:17 PM
He wasn't on his own, he was sitting next to Saban

No, but I'm not sure how that bears on whether or not he was introduced.

jumperstop
2/21/2011, 02:26 PM
Nobody else mentioned it, but the picture of Saban looks like he's thinking, "Don't let this get me in trouble..."

fwsooner22
2/21/2011, 02:49 PM
Wow.....who cares....the NCAA is a joke....

Breadburner
2/21/2011, 02:54 PM
I peeked at OP just to see if it was really melting down... in a very un-poke-like way, they are not. They almost seem to be acting like it's a foregone conclusion that Barry J. Sanders (whom they remind you constantly that the "J" doesn't stand for JUNIOR!) is going to OSU just like daddy did.

I have not really followed Junior's (because everyone else calls him that) recruiting, since OU has not shown any interest, but since it's now forefront news and all, it would not surprise me in the least to see Barry JUNNNNNIOORRRRRRR go elsewhere... and when that happens, THEN you can expect a full-scale "THEY CHEAT WORSE THAN THEM GOONERS!" meltdown to whichever school gets him.

I freaking hate Nick Saban. It drives me nuts that he pushes the limits every time and gets away with it. Alabama said they would report themselves to the NCAA. Which that doesn't mean anything since Alabama has so much money and power it will just get a slap on the wrist. If we had done something like that the NCAA would come down on us like thunder.

Nick Saban is a cocky prick and I really hope this backfires on him.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 02:57 PM
Its the camera mans fault!!! LOL!

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 02:59 PM
I'm not worried at all about Sanders going to OSU. His old man could never beat OU, what makes us think Jr can?

jumperstop
2/21/2011, 03:02 PM
Its the camera mans fault!!! LOL!

Just like it's the audio person's fault for playing those songs during the Iron Bowl. Alabama's policy: If you don't want to take the blame, blame one of the lowly university employees and get them fired.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/21/2011, 03:07 PM
The 'tards on orangeshower might not act like its a big deal if he goes somewhere else but trust me...If he picks another school it will be a meltdown of epic proportions in stoolwater.

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 03:20 PM
I freaking hate Nick Saban. It drives me nuts that he pushes the limits every time and gets away with it. Alabama said they would report themselves to the NCAA. Which that doesn't mean anything since Alabama has so much money and power it will just get a slap on the wrist. If we had done something like that the NCAA would come down on us like thunder.

Nick Saban is a cocky prick and I really hope this backfires on him.

Meh, I don't gotta problem with Saban. He went out of his way to praise OU before and after the Sugar Bowl. Didn't he also teach Venables the 50? The point is the NCAA has a bunch of dumbass rules but when something bad really does happen (Cam Scam) they do nothing. Screw the NCAA.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 03:45 PM
I gotta problem with saban, he is a cheater!

MamaMia
2/21/2011, 03:47 PM
I don't think its even news worthy, if they showed lots of people and didn't have his name up there. I wouldn't have recognized him. The NCAA has a problem knowing what their priorities are.

tcrb
2/21/2011, 04:02 PM
The most attention this is getting seems to be on SF. Kind of a stretch to call it a recruiting violation.

Sabanball
2/21/2011, 07:28 PM
I think this is an infraction. Anyone disagree?

In the very, very worst-case, doomsday scenario for us it is a secondary violation and will be self-reported just in case-- it is debatable, it will depend on interpretation of the bylaw in question. Even though most knew who he was, BS was NOT identified on the jumbotron and the camera only panned to him for a split second. Besides, you can't tell me that this is the first time that a highly touted recruit has been shown on a big screen at a basketball game.
Anyone hoping that something is going to come of this is gonna be very disappointed.

birddog
2/21/2011, 07:46 PM

because of finch, brennan clay, williams, and miller. throw in the poke factor, and it's all good that he goes elsewhere. and we only offered him the same amount of cashe that we offered cam newton. which is 0! :D

tcrb
2/21/2011, 07:56 PM

Why would we want a son-of-an-NFL star that is more than likely going to be a self-entitled head case? Isn't this the kid that wore a whorns hat on the sideline during his OU visit? My guess is he'll just be a locker-room cancer wherever he ends up. I hope texass gets him.

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 08:02 PM
Why would we want a son-of-an-NFL star that is more than likely going to be a self-entitled head case? Isn't this the kid that wore a whorns hat on the sideline during his OU visit? My guess is he'll just be a locker-room cancer wherever he ends up. I hope texass gets him.

I personally could care less about him. Our running back depth is going to be sick the next few years. I just think it's odd how he's right in our backyard and we're not even in the discussion. I figure either his dad transferred his OU hate/jealousy onto him or he's a diva that Bob wants no part of.

oudavid1
2/21/2011, 08:32 PM
In the very, very worst-case, doomsday scenario for us it is a secondary violation and will be self-reported just in case-- it is debatable, it will depend on interpretation of the bylaw in question. Even though most knew who he was, BS was NOT identified on the jumbotron and the camera only panned to him for a split second. Besides, you can't tell me that this is the first time that a highly touted recruit has been shown on a big screen at a basketball game.
Anyone hoping that something is going to come of this is gonna be very disappointed.

Safe to say Cam will get in more trouble?

goingoneight
2/21/2011, 08:59 PM

THE Barry Sanders has never been anything but a class act. I think all the years of OSU fandom hurt OU's chances with him. I know a guy who took his kids to a bunch of OSU stuff as they were growing up. Not a one of his kids have ever been to Norman, and they all three spout off that nonsense OP.com is littered with about Norman and OU. When you're "raised" around a fanbase that doesn't like OU, OU's chances are slim to begin with... unless they whipped OSU 65-13 in Stoolwater this year. That only helped with AD.

Get the memo, guys... 65-13. Although we wouldn't argue with 77-0, either. :D

Breadburner
2/21/2011, 09:21 PM
Meh, I don't gotta problem with Saban. He went out of his way to praise OU before and after the Sugar Bowl. Didn't he also teach Venables the 50? The point is the NCAA has a bunch of dumbass rules but when something bad really does happen (Cam Scam) they do nothing. Screw the NCAA.

That was a quote from OP....

AlboSooner
2/21/2011, 09:48 PM
Bama took this opportunity to claim yet another National Championship.

sooner ngintunr
2/21/2011, 09:48 PM
I'm stoked with our RB's.

I'm not that worried about this guy. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. 'Bama (along with most other teams) are hurting for RB's worse than we are IMO.

The FSN camera panned to him and saban @ a basketball game. NBD.

Isn't he throwing up the gig'em?:texan:

Soonerjeepman
2/21/2011, 10:38 PM
bama KNEW exactly what they were doing....they believe it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

I agree Saban is a cocky jerk...hopefully he'll get his own...

oh and really don't care one way or the other about BS jr...we'll be good with or without him...

HBick
2/21/2011, 10:48 PM
I don't. Hasn't Barry only been back to OSU one time since playing there, the 2002 Bedl@m game? I think it was said that he wasn't even planning on being there, but decided at the last second to go.

I really don't think Barry is hardcore OSU. Hell, is OSU hardcore Barry Sanders? They turned down a FREE Barry Sanders Heisman statue for their campus from the Centennial commission. The Centennial commish was responsible for OU's Heisman Park and offered to do the same for OSU's Heisman winners...er, I mean "winner."

I think Barry is hardcore anti OU. He holds a grudge against the King.

And there is a Barry Sanders Honda is Stoolwater no? Maybe he was in town selling cars and someone gave him tickets?

Ruf/Nek7
2/21/2011, 11:36 PM

What a bunch of BS.

I remember being in attendance of an OU basketball game when Gerald McCoy was at the game as a recruit. Not sure how he was recognized but I distinctly remembering cheering his name for about 5 solid mins.

Spray
2/21/2011, 11:47 PM
Probably a minor secondary violation. These are a dime a dozen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2011, 10:02 AM
I think Barry is hardcore anti OU. He holds a grudge against the King.

don't you think he might be just a wee bit justified? i know if lacewell had pulled a stunt like that with me i'd have been 3 kinds of pissed off. had he just said "sorry kid, we are looking at some other running backs, i hope someone picks you up because you have talent" it would have been one thing. but he didn't even bother to show up to the meeting and in a subsequent call says "you are too small to ever play college football".

the all time greats are typically uber competitive. they magnify any slight to them and use it as motivation to become even better.

as for junior, i think there are a lot of factors here that are working against us.

1. his dad is THE signature player at another school. those guys worship the ground he walks on. legacies are hard to pry away in general.
2. didn't wes welker play for that high school? i remember there being some really bad blood over us only offering him a spot as a walk on.
3. generally, the "national" players look outside the state of oklahoma. this has generally been a good thing as most haven't ended up very good.

SoonerNutt
2/22/2011, 10:31 AM
This is stupid. He wasn't "introduced", and it's clear the camera operater is focusing on Saban. I doubt the guy even knows who BSJr is.

And if it is a violation, then so what? It can't be a major one.

If this is what the NCAA wants to spend their time and money on, then they are a bigger joke than even most people think.

MI Sooner
2/22/2011, 10:33 AM
I knew welker was't offered, but we said we didn't even want him as a walk-on? And he would have walked on instead of taking a TTU offer?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2011, 12:59 PM
I knew welker was't offered, but we said we didn't even want him as a walk-on? And he would have walked on instead of taking a TTU offer?

no we were holding out a scholly for someone (mozee maybe?) and told wes that he could come as a walk on. when leach took the ttech job, he was his first offer.

SoonerOX
2/22/2011, 05:53 PM
It may be a violation, but I think it's petty as hell. Of course, I am assuming that the intent was not to get the crowd to start chanting. If that is the case, it really is petty. If the intent was to draw attention to Barry, Jr. then it becomes a bit serious.

soonercoop1
2/22/2011, 06:42 PM
It's the SEC...the NCAA won't do anything...

Sabanball
2/22/2011, 08:48 PM
Safe to say Cam will get in more trouble?

I doubt it.

texaspokieokie
2/24/2011, 09:04 AM
It may be a violation, but I think it's petty as hell. Of course, I am assuming that the intent was not to get the crowd to start chanting. If that is the case, it really is petty. If the intent was to draw attention to Barry, Jr. then it becomes a bit serious.

if Barry (not really Jr.)jr is like his dad (who knows) he doesn't appreciate that kind of attention.

sooner518
2/24/2011, 09:56 AM
I remember being in attendance of an OU basketball game when Gerald McCoy was at the game as a recruit. Not sure how he was recognized but I distinctly remembering cheering his name for about 5 solid mins.

i remember doing htat for Reggie Smith when he was a senior in high school

King Barry's Back
2/25/2011, 09:48 PM

What a bunch of BS.

I am 100 percent with you on this. Bammer hero and heart-throb is sitting in the stands with a Heisman winner and nfl star. That image is going to go up on the screen. THe camera operator tries to take a nice picture, and you see another kid there, and we're supposed to be scandalized?

Very small potatoes. Far smaller than too much voluntary practice, in my books.

King Barry's Back
2/25/2011, 09:57 PM
withdrawn. a previous post had more accurate info.