PDA

View Full Version : A Curveball

JohnnyMack
2/21/2011, 12:05 PM
Rp6WuTSTyS8

Oops.

No question it was the big one. (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-20/politics/rumsfeld.interview_1_defense-secretary-donald-rumsfeld-obama-administration-curveball?_s=PM:POLITICS)

Always trust your government folks.

soonerscuba
2/21/2011, 12:09 PM
Rp6WuTSTyS8Always trust your government folks.Well, Obama has kept me safe and I don't need another reason to doubt him on anything.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2011, 12:11 PM
It's fun watching the look on Tenet's face knowing what we know now.

soonercruiser
2/21/2011, 12:32 PM
And, you should always believe Colin Powell's judgement?
:rolleyes:

okie52
2/21/2011, 12:38 PM
Well, Obama has kept me safe and I don't need another reason to doubt him on anything.

Is this post dripping with sarcasm?

soonerscuba
2/21/2011, 12:48 PM
Is this post dripping with sarcasm?Very much so. It was a common refrain on this board to move past glaring policy problems with W by saying that he "kept us safe" for about 6 years as opposed to admitting he was terrible but you couldn't bring yourself to voting for a Democrat and somehow needed to justify your preference for terrible leadership.

For the record, I will vote for anybody who advocates actual austerity next cycle. I want taxes raised and spending cut, we are so past it being an either/or option that anyone with the guts to admit that will have my support.

SoonerProphet
2/21/2011, 01:33 PM
what a fu*kin' joke. the hypocrisy of partisan hacks is staggering. if the current group of clowns pulled some stunt like that it would be like a kindergarten room on the SO. the birthers and mouth breathers who are somewhat hinged would come unhinged.

soonerscuba
2/21/2011, 01:50 PM
what a fu*kin' joke. the hypocrisy of partisan hacks is staggering. if the current group of clowns pulled some stunt like that it would be like a kindergarten room on the SO. the birthers and mouth breathers who are somewhat hinged would come unhinged.No, they all were against our expensive nationbuilding back then too, just ask them.

okie52
2/21/2011, 02:17 PM
Very much so. It was a common refrain on this board to move past glaring policy problems with W by saying that he "kept us safe" for about 6 years as opposed to admitting he was terrible but you couldn't bring yourself to voting for a Democrat and somehow needed to justify your preference for terrible leadership.

For the record, I will vote for anybody who advocates actual austerity next cycle. I want taxes raised and spending cut, we are so past it being an either/or option that anyone with the guts to admit that will have my support.

I did vote both times for W. And I didn't like my options with either W or Gore/Kerry. It just depends on what your priorities are and W's were more in line with mine than his opponents, particularly on energy. W's keeping us "safe" never held any water with me.

I'm not an economist but both parties have wanted tax cuts to remain. If you believe that tax cuts are increasing the deficit and not stimulating the economy then I say let them all expire. There are a number of spending cuts that could also be started...such as defense, government hiring/wage freezes, moving SS and medicare ages back, etc....but you aren't going to see anyone attack those sacred cows (maybe gov't employees).

soonerscuba
2/21/2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not an economist but both parties have wanted tax cuts to remain. If you believe that tax cuts are increasing the deficit and not stimulating the economy then I say let them all expire. There are a number of spending cuts that could also be started...such as defense, government hiring/wage freezes, moving SS and medicare ages back, etc....but you aren't going to see anyone attack those sacred cows (maybe gov't employees).I certainly think the Dems wanted the tax cuts to expire but also wanted/needed an extention on unemployment and both sides did the politically expedient thing and did both, which to me is just fiscal insanity.

I am a big fan of letting the cuts expire, along with EITC, child and mortgage deductions. I would also be a big fan of starting at middle linebacker for OU, but I'm about 70 lbs and having any atheltic ability away, I would put both of these scenarios at equal odds of actually happening.

okie52
2/21/2011, 02:44 PM
I certainly think the Dems wanted the tax cuts to expire but also wanted/needed an extention on unemployment and both sides did the politically expedient thing and did both, which to me is just fiscal insanity.

I am a big fan of letting the cuts expire, along with EITC, child and mortgage deductions. I would also be a big fan of starting at middle linebacker for OU, but I'm about 70 lbs and having any atheltic ability away, I would put both of these scenarios at equal odds of actually happening.

Nope, the dems wanted the tax cuts to expire on the over $250,000 group. That supposedly is costing us about $700,000,000,000 over the next ten years. They didn't want the tax cuts to expire on everyone else, which will cost us over $3,000,000,000,000 in the next 10 years. I say let them all expire but there are many that contend this will inhibit GDP growth which will more than offset the tax cuts.

People should be taxed for having more than 1 child. I would be hesitant about the mortgage deductions because I think home ownership is a good thing in this country and I support its subsidation. But, it may have to be reduced on homes over $500,000 and no deductions for 2nd homes.

soonerscuba
2/21/2011, 03:03 PM
Nope, the dems wanted the tax cuts to expire on the over $250,000 group. That supposedly is costing us about $700,000,000,000 over the next ten years. They didn't want the tax cuts to expire on everyone else, which will cost us over $3,000,000,000,000 in the next 10 years. I say let them all expire but there are many that contend this will inhibit GDP growth which will more than offset the tax cuts.

People should be taxed for having more than 1 child. I would be hesitant about the mortgage deductions because I think home ownership is a good thing in this country and I support its subsidation. But, it may have to be reduced on homes over $500,000 and no deductions for 2nd homes.You are right regarding the bracket cuts. I personally feel we have given the GDP growth argument 30 years to pan out, which it has not, and should be scrapped to get us to at least solvency, after which we go pay-go unless authorized by 2/3 Congress in the event of disaster, war, etc.

I am torn on mortgage deductions and think that a cap and allowing only one deduction would be a reasonable compromise. My primary concern with them is that they are rolled up into the price of a home and artifically increase value. I personally am of the opinion that home ownership is innate in the American psyche and there are benefits beyond the tax credit that would still influence people to buy real estate, maybe not as many, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing given the last bubble.

pphilfran
2/21/2011, 03:12 PM
The taxes that everyone screamed about didn't do chit to revenue...

Too many deductions and loopholes....

A lot of gnashing of teeth for nothing...

There are a limited amount of choices to fix SS but no one wants to touch the subject...

There are a limited amount of choices to fix immigration but no one wants to touch the subject...

Know why? Because they are more interested in getting reelected instead of being fiscally responsible...

okie52
2/21/2011, 03:17 PM
The taxes that everyone screamed about didn't do chit to revenue...

Too many deductions and loopholes....

A lot of gnashing of teeth for nothing...

There are a limited amount of choices to fix SS but no one wants to touch the subject...

There are a limited amount of choices to fix immigration but no one wants to touch the subject...

Know why? Because they are more interested in getting reelected instead of being fiscally responsible...

There's one of my "contend otherwise" people.

SS doesn't even seem to be on the table. Immigration looks like it died on the table.

Sometimes lame duckers may be the most productive congressmen we've got or ones like Coburn that are only going to seek 2 terms.

soonercruiser
2/21/2011, 04:11 PM
There's one of my "contend otherwise" people.

SS doesn't even seem to be on the table. Immigration looks like it died on the table.
Sometimes lame duckers may be the most productive congressmen we've got or ones like Coburn that are only going to seek 2 terms.

Insn't it just incwedible?
Cowards they are, says Yoda.:O

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Obama/Don't%20touch%20entitlements.jpg

jkjsooner
2/22/2011, 09:48 AM
I'm not an economist but both parties have wanted tax cuts to remain. If you believe that tax cuts are increasing the deficit and not stimulating the economy then I say let them all expire. There are a number of spending cuts that could also be started...such as defense, government hiring/wage freezes, moving SS and medicare ages back, etc....but you aren't going to see anyone attack those sacred cows (maybe gov't employees).

We're still in an economic downturn so keeping the tax cuts makes some sense right now. That doesn't mean it always will make sense. At some point we will have to increase taxes and reduce spending.