PDA

View Full Version : Blake wins the dunk

oumartin
2/19/2011, 11:24 PM
contest of course. Had he pulled off the 360 dunk when baron tossed it off the side of the backboard that woulda been one for the ages. His Vince dunk was better than Vinces.

pappy
2/19/2011, 11:30 PM
I was for Blake to win it, but he won it because the dunk contest is all about hype and he had the most hype and his dunk over the car hood wasn't *that* good, but it had all the show around it. Mcgee deserved the title...he didn't even try after the car show because he knew there wasn't any point. I'm happy for blake but he didn't even deserve to be in the finals...again he got there because of hype...his vince dunk wasn't better than vince's ... Vince Carter = Greatest dunker ever. Blake Griffin = Great in game dunker and pretty good dunk contest winner.

AlboSooner
2/19/2011, 11:36 PM
McGee tired to show off as much as possible but he had terrible timing and had his mom kiss the judges. That was lame.

McGee centered his dunks on the number of balls, while Blake on power difficulty and dazzle. Blake deserved to win. He out-dunked and out show-bizzed everybody, and his mom didn't have to kiss five guys.

yankee
2/19/2011, 11:41 PM
Ecstatic for Blake, but Serge got screwed over with that first dunk...That should have been a 50, not a 45.

yankee
2/20/2011, 12:12 AM
Words cannot describe.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/00/fullj.869f3420b247b5c59260c1af5a51dcaa/869f3420b247b5c59260c1af5a51dcaa-getty-109009604mw022_sprite_slam_.jpg

sperry
2/20/2011, 12:12 AM
Blakes best dunks were his first two. The car dunk was not very good. JaVale McGee should have gone for the first dunk he tried again.

bigfatjerk
2/20/2011, 12:34 AM
The Vince dunk with the backboard twist was the best dunk from Blake. His first 2 were good. His worst dunk of the night was the one over the car. And that wasn't bad. The one dunk by DeRoazan was impressive. The free throw dunk by Ibaka was great too.

sperry
2/20/2011, 01:26 AM
The Vince dunk with the backboard twist was the best dunk from Blake. His first 2 were good. His worst dunk of the night was the one over the car. And that wasn't bad. The one dunk by DeRoazan was impressive. The free throw dunk by Ibaka was great too.

The Vince dunk was awesome, but Vince tore up his elbow doing that, so I was screaming at Blake for that one.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/20/2011, 01:51 AM
Car dunk? I'm glad I didn't watch this crap. How does anybody watch this garbage?

picasso
2/20/2011, 01:58 AM
Vince Carter = Greatest dunker ever.

You must be young. Otherwise you'd never say that without mentioning one Julius Erving.

sooner59
2/20/2011, 02:36 AM
I was for Blake to win it, but he won it because the dunk contest is all about hype and he had the most hype and his dunk over the car hood wasn't *that* good, but it had all the show around it. Mcgee deserved the title...he didn't even try after the car show because he knew there wasn't any point. I'm happy for blake but he didn't even deserve to be in the finals...again he got there because of hype...his vince dunk wasn't better than vince's ... Vince Carter = Greatest dunker ever. Blake Griffin = Great in game dunker and pretty good dunk contest winner.

Vince ran up to the basket, jumped really high and dunked it and hung from his elbow. Blake did the same thing except he added a twist by throwing it off the backboard. Saying it wasn't better than Vince's makes no sense. I didn't like Blake's last dunk, though. If he had gone over the taller part of the car or if the car had been further away, it would have been more impressive. McGee's last dunk was ok because he jumped high, but probably would have lost him the first round if that would have been his first dunk and saved that first one for last. Serge really got screwed, though. He one-upped Michael Jordon for f***s sake! He never crossed the free-throw line. Overall, Blake and McGee were very close, but even though McGee last round was just as good as Blake's, nowadays they are counting creativity as a part of the judging, and there wasn't much creativity in McGee's last dunk, and the tv viewers voting voted for Blake because he was more flashy. Gotta know how to play to the competition and the fans.

Blue
2/20/2011, 03:23 AM
Vince ran up to the basket, jumped really high and dunked it and hung from his elbow. Blake did the same thing except he added a twist by throwing it off the backboard. Saying it wasn't better than Vince's makes no sense. I didn't like Blake's last dunk, though. If he had gone over the taller part of the car or if the car had been further away, it would have been more impressive. McGee's last dunk was ok because he jumped high, but probably would have lost him the first round if that would have been his first dunk and saved that first one for last. Serge really got screwed, though. He one-upped Michael Jordon for f***s sake! He never crossed the free-throw line. Overall, Blake and McGee were very close, but even though McGee last round was just as good as Blake's, nowadays they are counting creativity as a part of the judging, and there wasn't much creativity in McGee's last dunk, and the tv viewers voting voted for Blake because he was more flashy. Gotta know how to play to the competition and the fans.

THIS. Plus DeRozans dunk and Serges for that matter were better than the two goal dunk and the 3 ball dunk of Mcgees. Creative yes. Weak..also yes. Plus he missed way too many. It took his thunder.

sooner59
2/20/2011, 03:52 AM
I agree that missing a lot of dunks before finally landing it takes away the thunder from it, so when you see it you are more relieved for the guy than impressed, even though it is still an amazing dunk. DeRozan had a true 50, McGee's 50 wasn't as impressive. However, McGee's first dunk in the final round was amazing and deserved a 50. The 3 ball dunk was kinda boring to be honest. And as much as I love Blake, Serge should have gotten a 50 on his first and a little higher than a 45 on his second, which would have beaten Blake and put him in the final round with McGee, even though McGee's 3rd dunk was the only one that blew me away.

sooner59
2/20/2011, 04:11 AM
Blake is giving the trophy to Wilson Holloway's family. Good story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6140773

LOS ANGELES -- Blake Griffin plans to give the trophy he won in Saturday night's Sprite Slam Dunk challenge to the family of his high school teammate Wilson Holloway, who died Wednesday after a long battle with Hodgkins lymphoma.

"I wanted to do this, not just for myself but for him," Griffin said. "I think I'm actually going to give this [trophy] to his family. That's why I really wanted to win."

Griffin learned of Holloway's death Wednesday night after the Clippers defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves. He sobbed in the locker room after getting that phone call and has since dedicated his performance this weekend to his childhood friend.

Griffin said he planned to fly straight to Oklahoma City after Sunday's All-Star Game and to attend Holloway's funeral on Monday.

"It's kind of a good thing that I've been so busy," he said. "It doesn't leave you time to think about it."

Almost three years ago, Holloway received a diagnosis of Hodgkin's lymphoma, but he didn't let it keep him from playing college football at Tulsa and, those who knew him say, it didn't affect his positive outlook on life. They chose to remember that smile on Thursday, the day after he died in Oklahoma City at age 22.

"He definitely faced some adversity, but yet he always lived life the way that he chose, which was to be upbeat, be positive," said University of Central Oklahoma football coach Tracy Holland, who was Holloway's prep coach at Oklahoma Christian School in Edmond.

"He was a fierce and loyal friend."

After an honor-filled high school career, Holloway, a 6-foot-6, 275-pound offensive tackle from Edmond, signed with Tulsa in 2007. He redshirted that fall and was running during Tulsa's offseason workouts the following February when he noticed he was struggling and short of breath.

Herb Hand, then Tulsa's co-offensive coordinator, suggested that Holloway seek medical attention, and on March 13, Holloway learned he had a softball-sized tumor in his chest.

Holloway continued working out with the Golden Hurricane, even as he endured chemotherapy treatments. By August, he was declared cancer-free and played in six games before the cancer returned that October. Another round of chemotherapy caused Holloway to lose his hair, and his fellow linemen and quarterback David Johnson shaved their heads in solidarity.

Holloway remained a member of Tulsa's football team throughout his battle with cancer. He was listed in the 2009 and 2010 media guides, although he didn't play in either season. The university held a moment of silence for Holloway on Wednesday night before a home basketball game against East Carolina.

"In his four years at the University of Tulsa, Wilson's smile was contagious to those who ever met him," Tulsa athletic director Bubba Cunningham said. "He fought the disease with a tireless and enthusiastic spirit. We'll never forget Wilson's own words -- 'I don't take things for granted any more. There are days I wish I could go out and do the drills everyone hates to do.' Wilson Holloway has touched all of our hearts with his passion for living."

Griffin had been a big supporter of Holloway's battle. When Holloway was nominated for the 2010 Rare Disease Champion award a year ago, Griffin tweeted to his 50,000-plus followers: "My boy @Wilson Holloway is up 4 The Rare Disease Champion Award and he needs ur vote."

"He was just one of those guys that was so positive," Griffin said. "I never heard him complain once."

Serge Ibaka
2/20/2011, 05:31 AM
I dunked it from behind the free throw line.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/20/2011, 09:03 AM
When the next guy tries to jump over a car and face plants onto the hood then Blake's dunk might be appreciated more. Was it THE best dunk of the night. Maybe not. It was was freaking awesome thought.

CobraKai
2/20/2011, 10:00 AM

How on earth was Vince's Vince dunk better than Blake's? They were the same dunk except Blake's was an alley oop and Vince just ran up.

Agree Blake's car dunk was nothing special. Neither was JaVale's triple dunk. That one was not in the same league as Blake's Vince dunk. Honestly he finals were not close.

oumartin
2/20/2011, 10:09 AM
JaVale didn't belong in finals to begin with. the two bball dunk was nice but the three balls in the same hoop? who cares. he hung on the rim to get that.

The free throw line by serge was killer as was the other dudes one handed catch revers throwdown in one motion dunk. catching the ball with one hand and in one motion throwing down a reverse windmill going away from the basket was killer.

Overall Blake was the best

OUthunder
2/20/2011, 10:30 AM
Blake's dunks were sick. Congrats to him, I hope he gets on a real team some day.

CobraKai
2/20/2011, 10:43 AM
You must be young. Otherwise you'd never say that without mentioning one Julius Erving.

Bingo. Dr J is the best I've ever seen. If Blake can put together a long career of seasons like this he may change my mind.

kelloggOUballa
2/20/2011, 10:57 AM
When the next guy tries to jump over a car and face plants onto the hood then Blake's dunk might be appreciated more. Was it THE best dunk of the night. Maybe not. It was was freaking awesome thought.

This. McGee would have face-planted no doubt. Anyone that thinks that dunk wasn't impressive is fooling themselves. Plus, he had to catch the pass, but he made it look so easy that no one even considers that. And the 360 dunk was the best of the night of any of the dunkers. And the only one where Blake struggled, the one where Baron threw it off the side of the backboard, still turned out better than any of McGee's dunks. Once again, Blake has set the bar so high that some of his dunks are under-appreciated. Oh yeah, and that arm in the rim dunk. Sorry, Vince, you have been replaced. I went back and watched the contest again, and the best dunk compilations of the night were as follows:

1.BG
2. DeRozan
3. Ibaka
4. McGee

Why is McGee last, you ask? Because he led all players in dunk attempts. I almost fell asleep watching that dude.

Soonerus
2/20/2011, 11:25 AM
Happy Blake won but Serge was robbed !!!

rekamrettuB
2/20/2011, 11:26 AM
Serge really got screwed, though. He one-upped Michael Jordon for f***s sake! He never crossed the free-throw line.

Gotta disagree here about "one upping". It was amazing he was able to dunk it from behind the free throw line no doubt. But one of Jordan's forgotten dunks was his original behind the free throw line dunk from '84 I believe. As amazing as Serge's and Jordan's original were, the one he does in '86 (showdown w/ Dominique) was the best of any "free throw line" dunks. Yes he steps on the line but does some ball pump and posing in the air if you will. That's the one I always recall when someone mentions the free throw line dunks.

sooner518
2/20/2011, 11:29 AM
Blake won because of hype and hometown bias. but no one claimed this was an integrity-filled, super seriously judged contest. its all for fun and Blake's dunks probably were the most exciting because of expectations and execution.

the car dunk was neat and fun and exciting, but not really all THAT tough. watch a Slovenian 17 year old basically do the same thing in the mid 90's, except he jumps over the roof of the car. (fast forward to about 4:50)
tN4qRW2a5po

As for all-time dunkers, my vote goes to Dominique Wilkins. i just loved the way he dunked so clean and so hard every time.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/20/2011, 11:53 AM
the slovanian jumped over a civic del sol with no roof. he also didn't have anyone tossing him the ball..he didn't even dribble. he just carried it. for those of you who said it would have been better if BG had jumped over the roof, how would the ally-oop from the sunroof work?

rekamrettuB
2/20/2011, 11:58 AM
the car dunk was neat and fun and exciting, but not really all THAT tough. watch a Slovenian 17 year old basically do the same thing in the mid 90's, except he jumps over the roof of the car. (fast forward to about 4:50)
tN4qRW2a5po

As for all-time dunkers, my vote goes to Dominique Wilkins. i just loved the way he dunked so clean and so hard every time.

That's pretty bad *** but one thing that goes unnoticed to most is trying to catch something while jumping...AND there being someting or someone below you. Your mind wants to locate whatever is below you but you have to concentrate on catching the ball and finding the rim. That's what is most impressive in my mind about Blake's dunk.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you about 'Nique. He got robbed in Chicago.

sperry
2/20/2011, 12:04 PM

Disagree. It didn't even challenge his leaping ability, and I'm sure everyone in that contest could have done the exact same thing. The car is not a good prop, because you can't try anything really crazy without substantial risk of serious injury. His other dunks were awesome though, and he deserved to win.

badger
2/20/2011, 12:06 PM
That was a really good dunk contest. The last one that I remember being this competitive just among two guys was KrytoNate vs. Superman a few years ago, but didn't really care about the other two participants.

I thought they were all impressive and creative, which is something the contest has lacked lately.

BUT, i have a complaint:
http://i52.tinypic.com/3496t5i.jpg

Kenny not only talked to much, but he gave away the car surprise... then gave away the Baron's-in-the-car surprise.

Kenny: We've had teddy bears, we've had cars...

No, we haven't had cars, Kenny. You just spoiled it. You suck. :mad:

yankee
2/20/2011, 12:12 PM
One thing to remember when comparing Blake's "Vince Dunk" with Vince's "Vince Dunk", is Carter is only 6'6...Blake's was more impressive IMO, but Vince's is definitely in the same league.

sooner518
2/20/2011, 12:38 PM
the slovanian jumped over a civic del sol with no roof. he also didn't have anyone tossing him the ball..he didn't even dribble. he just carried it. for those of you who said it would have been better if BG had jumped over the roof, how would the ally-oop from the sunroof work?

roof of that Civic Del Sol is higher than the hood of a Kia.

the sunroof toss was a cool addition. I thought BLake's final dunks were better than McGhees, but Blake was really lucky to get to the finals. he got some home cookin there.

kelloggOUballa
2/20/2011, 01:11 PM
I thought BLake's final dunks were better than McGhees, but Blake was really lucky to get to the finals. he got some home cookin there.

How so? His first dunk was the best of the night of all dunkers, and the second one was rightfully given a 46. First one should have been a 50 though.

AlboSooner
2/20/2011, 01:16 PM
Had BG done that backboard 360, it would have registered as the best dunk ever. Ibakas dunk was good, but I think people are over the FT dunk.

oumartin
2/20/2011, 03:00 PM
That was a really good dunk contest. The last one that I remember being this competitive just among two guys was KrytoNate vs. Superman a few years ago, but didn't really care about the other two participants.

I thought they were all impressive and creative, which is something the contest has lacked lately.

BUT, i have a complaint:
http://i52.tinypic.com/3496t5i.jpg

Kenny not only talked to much, but he gave away the car surprise... then gave away the Baron's-in-the-car surprise.

Kenny: We've had teddy bears, we've had cars...

No, we haven't had cars, Kenny. You just spoiled it. You suck. :mad:

Kenny smith doesn't suck. what sucks is someone that rattles on and on and on and has really lame graphics.. That sucks.

BusterRhymes86
2/20/2011, 03:42 PM
I dunked it from behind the free throw line.

So did "Bones" Barry....So its no big deal now..

OUmillenium
2/20/2011, 04:28 PM

His elbow dunk pist all over Carter's, you are clueless. His first dunk was good but i hate the format where they can just keep trying until they finally hit it. Car dunk was not that good like u said.

OUmillenium
2/20/2011, 04:30 PM

or Dominique Wilkins, jordanesque but with power, he was my favorite

OUmillenium
2/20/2011, 04:40 PM
I muted Smith. He was a good dunker back in the day. Barkley or somebody had the comment f the night when the choir came out..."Mr. Randy Watson ladies and gentlemen!"

picasso
2/20/2011, 04:55 PM
or Dominique Wilkins, jordanesque but with power, he was my favorite

Dominique was a dunking machine but Dr J. rose above them all. That dude could fly.
David Thompson was pretty good too.

StoopTroup
2/20/2011, 04:58 PM
It's cool to see a Sooner win a Contest such as this but the dunk contest has been pretty lame. Shooting Contests are 100 times better than dunk contests.

Eielson
2/20/2011, 05:07 PM
Serge got screwed over with that first dunk...That should have been a 50, not a 45.

Jumping from the FT line isn't that impressive anymore. So many people have done it, and James White did it through his legs.

Eielson
2/20/2011, 05:18 PM
As for Vince vs. Erving, you guys are just being old if you think Erving was better. Vince is better and it's not even close.

yankee
2/20/2011, 05:47 PM
Jumping from the FT line isn't that impressive anymore. So many people have done it, and James White did it through his legs.

Dr. J was just jealous that Serge's was better than his.

CobraKai
2/20/2011, 06:41 PM
One thing Blake did better than any of them last night is throw down with power.

Eielson
2/20/2011, 07:16 PM
Dr. J was just jealous that Serge's was better than his.

Yeah, but it's been done a million times since Dr. J did it.

Soonerjeepman
2/20/2011, 11:40 PM
here I was like....NICE, Blake is just going to dunk it....no props no bs flair...then all the sudden the car and the choir...

ah well...

pappy
2/21/2011, 05:37 AM
How on earth was Vince's Vince dunk better than Blake's? They were the same dunk except Blake's was an alley oop and Vince just ran up.

Agree Blake's car dunk was nothing special. Neither was JaVale's triple dunk. That one was not in the same league as Blake's Vince dunk. Honestly he finals were not close.

honestly for some reason I wasn't thinking of the elbow dunk when I was talking about vince's dunk and that's why I said it...Blake's elbow dunk was better, but Vince's overall performance is still the greatest of all time.

I still say that BG won on hype. The NBA plays favorites and it was in his gym and with all the hype around him he could've just done 4 easy dunks but dunk them with power and he would've won. The car show dunk wasn't impressive...he gets that high anyway...if he had jumped over the top of the car and not the hood then it would've been more impressive...I guarantee Derozen and Mcgee a long with a lot of other nba players could've done it too...idk if Ibaka could've.

rekamrettuB
2/21/2011, 09:24 AM
honestly for some reason I wasn't thinking of the elbow dunk when I was talking about vince's dunk and that's why I said it...Blake's elbow dunk was better, but Vince's overall performance is still the greatest of all time.

I still say that BG won on hype. The NBA plays favorites and it was in his gym and with all the hype around him he could've just done 4 easy dunks but dunk them with power and he would've won. The car show dunk wasn't impressive...he gets that high anyway...if he had jumped over the top of the car and not the hood then it would've been more impressive...I guarantee Derozen and Mcgee a long with a lot of other nba players could've done it too...idk if Ibaka could've.

Maybe he wouldn't have made the finals but the winner was determined by vote of spectators both live and at home. I think it was close but, in my mind, I think he still makes the finals.

oumartin
2/21/2011, 09:39 AM
His first dunk alone was better than any other dunk in the first two rounds. the second being the Miami heat dudes one handed grab and reverse windmill.

AlboSooner
2/21/2011, 10:47 AM
Just as a general info, Blake won by 68% of the national votes. The nation favored him by 68%. I don't think the crowd had anything to do with his victory, as the whole nation voted him over McGee.

68% in voting terms is a butt kicking. sounds like the nation wasn't impressed by McGee's ball-juggling skills.

bigfatjerk
2/21/2011, 10:57 AM
It took McGee about 15 tries to do his first 2 dunks. They need to have a limit on how many dunks you can try instead of a time limit. Or have a much shorter time limit.

birddog
2/21/2011, 11:15 AM
i touched net once.

badger
2/21/2011, 11:54 AM
It took McGee about 15 tries to do his first 2 dunks. They need to have a limit on how many dunks you can try instead of a time limit. Or have a much shorter time limit.

I don't mind the time limits, it encourages them to try something really hard rather than be worried about being able to hit it the first or second time... but with Serge's little Thunder mascot, it seemed to not be as cool when he hit it because he gave away the surprise on the first miss, that he was gonna grab it with his mouth :)

badger
2/21/2011, 06:26 PM
Kenny smith doesn't suck. what sucks is someone that rattles on and on and on and has really lame graphics.. That sucks.

If you don't like my posts, please set me to ignore. Thanks

For the rest of you, some photos from the contest:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2pzacjk.jpg

http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/476842_LS.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-02/59569653.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img14712632.jpg

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/20110220/cc3078_dunk.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1102/nba.all.star.dunk.contest/images/BG-robert-beck.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hcjlev.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2rfzf2o.jpg

Eielson
2/21/2011, 07:08 PM
Can't say I've ever seen socks like that before.

yankee
2/21/2011, 07:55 PM

All the dunk contest participants were wearing them. The All-Star break seems to be a time where weird fashion items are displayed by the big companies. Those glittery warm ups the East/West teams had on were horrible.

birddog
2/21/2011, 08:05 PM
yeah, mcgee put on some tan, chinese dock sider shoes at some point. looked like a pair of shoes 'monty the landlord' would wear.

booomer
2/21/2011, 10:26 PM
His first dunk alone was better than any other dunk in the first two rounds. the second being the Miami heat dudes one handed grab and reverse windmill.

I agree. The 360 dunk was amazing!

opksooner
2/21/2011, 10:44 PM
Let me start by saying that I'm glad that Blake won the competition. But the final move, jumping over the Kia was more a display of athletic leaping ability than basketball prowess. And the voting margin was, IMO, a reflection of all the great press and TV time that Blake had gotten this season for his amazing dunking in league play.

I'm glad he won............but.........

Cacho36
2/22/2011, 02:15 AM
I like the last dunk, it would better if he turn around and pump after jumping over the car and dunk the ball backward... that would really amazing!

picasso
2/22/2011, 09:35 AM
As for Vince vs. Erving, you guys are just being old if you think Erving was better. Vince is better and it's not even close.

Being old? Please.

Dr. J could actually fly. AND play the game.

Breadburner
2/22/2011, 10:03 AM
Those dudes on the mini-tramps blow the NBA'rs away......

ouleaf
2/22/2011, 11:34 AM
Gotta disagree here about "one upping". It was amazing he was able to dunk it from behind the free throw line no doubt. But one of Jordan's forgotten dunks was his original behind the free throw line dunk from '84 I believe. As amazing as Serge's and Jordan's original were, the one he does in '86 (showdown w/ Dominique) was the best of any "free throw line" dunks. Yes he steps on the line but does some ball pump and posing in the air if you will. That's the one I always recall when someone mentions the free throw line dunks.

Definitely agree....Jordan not only brought the ball back to his head for extra style points, but he would have made that dunk just as easily if he had taken off from the same spot as Serge. Serge, while very impressive, just barely made it....Definitely can't put his over Jordan's

ouleaf
2/22/2011, 12:15 PM
Blake's dunks, especially the first one would have been some of the best all time if he could have executed them on the first try....Do appreciate the creativity these guys have brought in the last few years. Hope Blake comes back to defend the title at least one more time next year.

Soonerjeepman
2/22/2011, 01:27 PM
he should have pulled the knick's player out that he nutted...and did it again...LOL...

Eielson
2/22/2011, 01:44 PM
Dr. J could actually fly.

Is that so? I guess that is an advantage. Vince can only jump real high.

AND play the game.

This has no relevance to dunking.

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2011, 01:53 PM

Exactly . . . . and a pretty high flier known as "The Human Highlight Reel" wasn't too shabby either.

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2011, 01:54 PM

:mad:

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2011, 01:58 PM

They're all over the place at girls volleyball tournaments . . .

badger
2/22/2011, 02:08 PM
btw, it seems someone thinks he was robbed with Blake's car dunk:
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110222_92_0_BaeGif283340)

Demar Derozan, who also thinks he was robbed in a different way, vowed that he will never partake in the contest again unless it doesn't change away from its "prop" format now:
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6147372&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines )

Eielson
2/22/2011, 02:30 PM
Demar Derozan, who also thinks he was robbed in a different way, vowed that he will never partake in the contest again unless it doesn't change away from its "prop" format now:
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6147372&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines )

I'd be bitter if I was Derozan, too. He's done pretty well in dunk contests, but hasn't gotten much credit.

badger
2/22/2011, 02:54 PM
I'd be bitter if I was Derozan, too. He's done pretty well in dunk contests, but hasn't gotten much credit.

He nearly won it - second place on fan voting against KryptoNate one year, 51 percent to 49 percent. It's not like the crowd hates him, it's that competition was VERY strong this year.

Eielson
2/22/2011, 04:50 PM
He nearly won it - second place on fan voting against KryptoNate one year, 51 percent to 49 percent. It's not like the crowd hates him, it's that competition was VERY strong this year.

Ahh, that's it. I knew I felt he was cheated in a different contest. Nate didn't deserve to win. Everybody just fell in love with him because he's short.

picasso
2/22/2011, 04:56 PM
Is that so? I guess that is an advantage. Vince can only jump real high.

This has no relevance to dunking.

What a knee slapper!

CobraKai
2/22/2011, 04:57 PM
I still don't understand the hype around McGee's triple dunk. I think if you ranked all of the evening's dunks 1-12 the lowest scoring dunk is McGee's last dunk, where he basically phoned it in, and the second weakest dunk was the triple. Even the announcers pointed out that he really didn't need to jump at all for that one. The third dunk was attained by hanging on the rim and just goaltending a shot that was already dropping in the hoop. If someone wanted to argue that Ibaka or Derozan belonged in the finals I could see that, however McGee should have been the one they replaced.

Eielson
2/22/2011, 05:00 PM
What a knee slapper!

This is the closest thing I've seen to flying in a basketball game...

XMrPjl-927Q

picasso
2/22/2011, 05:04 PM
This is the closest thing I've seen to flying in a basketball game...

XMrPjl-927Q

Dude that's awesome but it's no more impressive that Dr. J. And I"m talking about his early afro ABA days. I grew up watching him play but I never realized how high he got compared to Jordan until I watched a replay of one of his early games when I was much older.
It can be argued either way but for you to say it isn't even close is just silly.

Eielson
2/22/2011, 05:18 PM
Dude that's awesome but it's no more impressive that Dr. J. And I"m talking about his early afro ABA days. I grew up watching him play but I never realized how high he got compared to Jordan until I watched a replay of one of his early games when I was much older.
It can be argued either way but for you to say it isn't even close is just silly.

Maybe saying it's not even close is a bit strong, but Vince Carter's 2000 dunk contest was unreal. He threw down some unbelievable dunks, and he made it look so easy. I don't think he missed a single dunk that night, and that's even with stitches in one of his hands. Everybody knew that contest was over barely after it started.

picasso
2/22/2011, 09:31 PM
Maybe saying it's not even close is a bit strong, but Vince Carter's 2000 dunk contest was unreal. He threw down some unbelievable dunks, and he made it look so easy. I don't think he missed a single dunk that night, and that's even with stitches in one of his hands. Everybody knew that contest was over barely after it started.

Hey I believe you. I can't argue dunk contests because I honestly don't watch anymore.

Spud Webb still had a perfect run too.

AlboSooner
2/22/2011, 10:43 PM
the thunder tv commentators were hating on Blake tonight.

rekamrettuB
2/24/2011, 09:59 AM
Just saw on CNN that some kid in Ohio is wanting "thanks" for Blake's car dunk idea. Said Blake sent Tweets asking for ideas on dunks and this guy replied "dunk while jumping over a car and receiving a pass through the sunroof". To those folks who follow Blake's tweets (or whatever it is you do w/ tweets), please verify or debunk this dude's claim.

Cacho36
3/1/2011, 12:41 AM
if Dr J can fly, Vince Carter can fly higher... I got amazed on that vid.