PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad (N.M.) article on Landry's speaking engagement in Artesia

NMSooner'80
2/18/2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad-sports/ci_17418870

I remember something similar from the DOK (Jenni Carlson), but this is even more detailed and talks about something I didn't expect. He apparently was so down as a true freshman that he tried to bring down other people who weren't. But, he's certainly turned that around since then.

Mike Stoops
2/18/2011, 07:36 PM
He said that the way he leads and the way Sam led are completely different but he and Sam are a lot alike personality wise. Quiet, extremely religious.

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad-sports/ci_17418870

I remember something similar from the DOK (Jenni Carlson), but this is even more detailed and talks about something I didn't expect. He apparently was so down as a true freshman that he tried to bring down other people who weren't.

IOW, misery loves company.

AlbqSooner
2/18/2011, 08:23 PM
IOW, misery loves company.

As I read the article I understood him to be saying that he was trying to build himself up by bringing others down to his level. A lot of people do that.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 08:40 PM
Yall sure this aint just another BS article?:confused:

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2011, 09:14 PM
As I read the article I understood him to be saying that he was trying to build himself up by bringing others down to his level. A lot of people do that.

Hmmm... you would't have in mind a certain reptilian guest of SF, would you?

TXBOOMER
2/18/2011, 09:39 PM
I've tried all my life to truly have faith and totally buy in and even thought I did at some points in my life but logic won't let me do it. I respect people that do though.

itsok
2/18/2011, 10:56 PM
texboomer,
Einstein asked his students once, what percentage of nature human science knows, someone said, 2%, he said, ok lets use that...even though i think 2% percent is extremely high, there is still a 98% chance that science can still
explain the existance of God...

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 12:34 AM
texboomer,
Einstein asked his students once, what percentage of nature human science knows, someone said, 2%, he said, ok lets use that...even though i think 2% percent is extremely high, there is still a 98% chance that science can still
explain the existance of God...

:confused:

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 01:11 AM
Borderline head case. When he's up, it's great. When he's not doing well he's gonna tear down those around him.

Hope he has that taken care of.

BigJerm7
2/19/2011, 06:52 AM
Good for Landry. Glad he made a turn for the better and not for the worse. Sam would be a tough act to follow and most of us became spoiled and expected the same things from Landry. Makes me proud to have him as part of the Sooner Nation.

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 09:23 AM
Borderline head case. When he's up, it's great. When he's not doing well he's gonna tear down those around him.

A tad harsh, perhaps?

PhiDeltBeers
2/19/2011, 10:11 AM
Hmmm... you would't have in mind a certain reptilian guest of SF, would you?

:D

oumartin
2/19/2011, 11:47 AM
I heard him talk about that on his 'I am second' spot.

He did say that he tried to bring others down and that he had some issues. I like that he is willing to talk about it and is trying to better himself as a human and a player. I like him

yankee
2/19/2011, 03:16 PM

Then I guess most humans are head cases then, huh? Dumb ***. :rolleyes:

NMSooner'80
2/19/2011, 04:46 PM
I heard him talk about that on his 'I am second' spot.

He did say that he tried to bring others down and that he had some issues. I like that he is willing to talk about it and is trying to better himself as a human and a player. I like him

I've also heard his high school coach speak. He was in Albuquerque for the state baseball playoffs as Artesia's AD, and he had time to come speak to our local alumni group. Landry wasn't any sort of Bomar-like prima donna in high school and was a true team leader at Artesia High. I guess the shock to his system as a true freshman just got him personally sidetracked until he had his spiritual re-birth.

bixby28
2/19/2011, 05:08 PM

:rolleyes:
Slam a guy (18-22 yr. old) for not having it 'all together' when he was a freshman in college. Most guys in Landry's shoes wouldn't have the humility to admit this about themselves. Humility is a hallmark of a person of character.

Growing up is a lifelong process. Nobody is a finished product.

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 05:41 PM
Slam a guy (18-22 yr. old) for not having it 'all together' when he was a freshman in college. Most guys in Landry's shoes wouldn't have the humility to admit this about themselves. Humility is a hallmark of a person of character.

That separates leader QB's who lead their teams to national championships and average QB's who blame others.

In every loss it seems Landry mentally checks out of the game. The only game he nutted up was against Nebraska, but the were self imploding.

The thing that struck me was him thinking he deserved to start over Bradford and pouting about being benched. Another article last year was about how his girlfriend had to talk him off the ledge regarding starting a church...with no seminary experience or leadership experience.

If he wants to follow his faith...so be it. Nothing wrong with that, but don't trot out your faith when it's convenient or use it as a way to cover immaturity.

Mike Stoops
2/19/2011, 05:53 PM
That separates leader QB's who lead their teams to national championships and average QB's who blame others.

In every loss it seems Landry mentally checks out of the game. The only game he nutted up was against Nebraska, but the were self imploding.

The thing that struck me was him thinking he deserved to start over Bradford and pouting about being benched. Another article last year was about how his girlfriend had to talk him off the ledge regarding starting a church...with no seminary experience or leadership experience.

If he wants to follow his faith...so be it. Nothing wrong with that, but don't trot out your faith when it's convenient or use it as a way to cover immaturity.

Ouch.

opksooner
2/19/2011, 06:43 PM

This!

picasso
2/19/2011, 07:06 PM

I guess you missed the game in Stillwater this past season.

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 07:14 PM
I guess you missed the game in Stillwater this past season.
You mean the three interception performance? I also saw that mizzou and a&m game. One game doesn't make or break a quarterback, but something about Landry is just....iffy.

He may be the next Sam Bradford...but I think he's more Nate Hybl.

picasso
2/19/2011, 07:17 PM
You mean the three interception performance? I also saw that mizzou and a&m game. One game doesn't make or break a quarterback, but something about Landry is just....iffy.

Well you're not real bright if you don't think he manned up at Stillwater. Did you miss his last two TD passes?
You're the one who only wanted to give him partial credit for the Nebbish comeback.

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 07:21 PM
You're the one who only wanted to give him partial credit for the Nebbish comeback.
I'd put that more on the defense. They were playing lights out.

bixby28
2/19/2011, 07:56 PM

I thought you said L. Jones "nutted up" against Nebraska. When do you give the guy credit ? In one post he was clutch against Nebraska and in another you say that the defense gets credit for the win.

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 09:06 PM
I thought you said L. Jones "nutted up" against Nebraska. When do you give the guy credit ? In one post he was clutch against Nebraska and in another you say that the defense gets credit for the win.
The defense owned Nebraska, Nebraska was also in the midst of imploding and Landry found enough balls to follow the lead of the defense.
I've seen scared men nut up when they see other guys take charge and take the lead.

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 09:29 PM
The defense owned Nebraska, Nebraska was also in the midst of imploding and Landry found enough balls to follow the lead of the defense.
I've seen scared men nut up when they see other guys take charge and take the lead.

Maybe the defense nutted up when they saw Landry take the lead. ;)

SoCaliSooner
2/19/2011, 09:39 PM
Say what you want but Landry's own words essentially confirmed everything I've said about him. Maybe he's grown up, or maybe now that he's the starting QB and dating the star female athlete he thinks he's a big boy now.

We'll see how he does....on the road...this year. He has all the weapons. Let's see if he leads or folds.

Praise Jesus.

picasso
2/19/2011, 10:56 PM

At times yes. They also got some much needed turnovers after giving up chunks of field position.
Landry showed sack on those big plays in Stillwater when we needed them. Let's see how your sack stacks up against that. I'm betting it was puckered up during those moments.

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 11:30 PM
We'll see how the team does....on the road...this year. The team has all the weapons. Let's see if the team leads or folds.

Praise Jesus.

Sorry, I had to fix this.

sooner518
2/20/2011, 11:17 AM

3rd and 12 from the 12 yard line with 3 minutes left and he fires an absolute laser to his 2nd (or 3rd) read for an 88 yard touchdown. what do you want?

He didnt call 25 straight run plays up the middle on the goalline against A&M.

I really dont get the Landry hate.

yankee
2/20/2011, 12:02 PM

When Landry performs poorly, it's all his fault and when Landry performs well, you give him none of the credit. You are pathetic.

olevetonahill
2/20/2011, 12:13 PM
When Landry performs poorly, it's all his fault and when Landry performs well, you give him none of the credit. You are pathetic.

See, I dont always disagree with you:cool:

SoCali ranks right up there with Sirus , On the dooshiness scale ;)

OUthunder
2/20/2011, 01:42 PM
3rd and 12 from the 12 yard line with 3 minutes left and he fires an absolute laser to his 2nd (or 3rd) read for an 88 yard touchdown. what do you want?

He didnt call 25 straight run plays up the middle on the goalline against A&M.

I really dont get the Landry hate.

I don't get it either and to think he was only a sophomore last year. Not bad numbers IMHO.

Regardless, haters gonna hate no matter what.

SouthFortySooner
2/20/2011, 01:47 PM
The concept of which he felt God was against him because the team was losing is foreign to me. As do endzone prayer meetings. Athletes who do this kind of thing are motivated by someone who has taught them to not use their position in the limelight to 'praise Jesus' is wrong. If allowed these same 'teachers' would ask them to advertise the offering nights at their churches!

picasso
2/20/2011, 01:51 PM
The concept of which he felt God was against him because the team was losing is foreign to me. As do endzone prayer meetings. Athletes who do this kind of thing are motivated by someone who has taught them to not use their position in the limelight to 'praise Jesus' is wrong. If allowed these same 'teachers' would ask them to advertise the offering nights at their churches!

A guy who kneels in the endzone to pray to his God probably doesn't really give a crap what you think.
Some of you folks have this all wrong. I used to always pray before a game. For good health and to play my best. Not to win.

Goobers.

SouthFortySooner
2/20/2011, 01:59 PM
A guy who kneels in the endzone to pray to his God probably doesn't really give a crap what you think.
Some of you folks have this all wrong. I used to always pray before a game. For good health and to play my best. Not to win.

Goobers.

Ok, disregard the endzone prayer because we don't know what their prayer is. But, Landry, 'says' he felt God was against him because the team was losing. Please tell this Goober which team God wants to win?

Leroy Lizard
2/20/2011, 05:30 PM
Ok, disregard the endzone prayer because we don't know what their prayer is. But, Landry, 'says' he felt God was against him because the team was losing. Please tell this Goober which team God wants to win?

Part of the maturing process is understanding that the world doesn't revolve around our own needs.

SoCaliSooner
2/20/2011, 05:33 PM
Part of the maturing process is understanding that the world doesn't revolve around our own needs.
...or that God wants one football team to win over another....

SouthFortySooner
2/20/2011, 05:39 PM
Trevor Bayne just said God wanted 'him' to win the Daytona 500. I give up.

Leroy Lizard
2/20/2011, 05:46 PM
...or that God wants one football team to win over another....

Whatever. He isn't hurting anyone, so why would we care?

sooner518
2/21/2011, 12:43 AM

I think he was saying that at the time, he felt like that was the case but I think he's implying that that was the wrong way to think about it. Giving God credit is not the same thing as saying God wanted your team to win.

NOVSooner
2/21/2011, 08:44 AM
wow, sure seems some of you guys are hanging on to who Landry said he WAS rather then who he is trying to BECOME. glad to see it's ok to hang the past over people.....kind of like comparing him to Sam or Nate, etc, it seems he's clearly stating he's not Sam, he understands following Sam is huge but that that is not who he is or who he is trying to become. imo some people are never going to give him a fair chance simply b/c of who he is not rather than who he is.

OUChampsBig12
2/21/2011, 08:59 AM
Geez, some of you people need to get a life here! Let's see the last QB to win a National Championship at OU, the new OC/Josh. It was not Nate, JWhite (Heisman Winner), Thompson, or even Bradford (Heisman winner and Number 1 Overall Pick in the NFL Draft). The last QB to win back to back bowl games, guess what it was not any of the QB's listed above either! I think Landry Jones has done quite well for himself and the OU Program. I could ramble on, but why. Enjoy this Spring and bring on Summer!

MojoRisen
2/21/2011, 09:09 AM
Landry is going to put up sick numbers this year! 4K Yards and 40 TD's

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 09:55 AM
Geez, some of you people need to get a life here! Let's see the last QB to win a National Championship at OU, the new OC/Josh. It was not Nate, JWhite (Heisman Winner), Thompson, or even Bradford (Heisman winner and Number 1 Overall Pick in the NFL Draft). The last QB to win back to back bowl games, guess what it was not any of the QB's listed above either! I think Landry Jones has done quite well for himself and the OU Program. I could ramble on, but why. Enjoy this Spring and bring on Summer!

I agree with your overall statement but didn't Hybl win back to back bowl games? Cotton and Rose I think.

PLaw
2/21/2011, 10:03 AM

Well said, Bixby. Many beliefs get challenged when you leave home. Sounds to me like Landry had a good foundation built by his family and his honesty is refreshing.

Been there, done that.

BOOMER

badger
2/21/2011, 10:27 AM

Also one more major difference since his arrival: He's got Whitney now to keep him in line.

OUChampsBig12
2/21/2011, 12:59 PM
Mike Stoops I believe you may be correct...........My oversight there.

cjames317
2/21/2011, 01:17 PM
If Landry's QB maturity is developing as well as his spiritual maturity, OUr Sooners looked poised for success in 2011 and beyond (I also heard Kendal Thompson is very very fast).

SoonerMom2
2/21/2011, 04:11 PM
We have watched Landry Jones mature since he has been here. It couldn't have been easy when Sam went down to come in and even see him on the sideline knowing it was Sam's team. Think it became Landry's team when we beat OSU when all the local sports people said it was OSU's year in 2009 and then we went to the Sun Bowl and beat the highly favored Stanford.

He had several not so good games but he never quit and kept fighting back. At the same time our defense was getting a lot better and in the Baylor game on the road it all came together and continued through OSU and Nebraska and then the Fiesta Bowl.

Takes a lot for a person to admit their mistakes like Landry did when he was speaking in NM. Sounds like he is a better person now -- it seems he has matured not only on the field but off the field.

Now the team is truly Landry Jones team and I, for one, am looking forward to this fall as he takes the field.

tator
2/21/2011, 04:33 PM
I truthfully could give two shakes about Landry's spirituality, and I have always been a little uneasy with him leading the offense. However, some of these comments are pretty harsh. Young kid or not, I don't know anyone that's ever played any game 100% perfect. You make mistakes and learn from them and move on.

I look forward to great things this year, not because of Landry, but because of the team.

C&CDean
2/21/2011, 05:07 PM
I'm really starting to not like this socali fag.

PhiDeltBeers
2/21/2011, 05:16 PM
:eek:

SoCaliSooner
2/21/2011, 05:23 PM
I'm really starting to not like this socali fag.
Easy there chet.

I went to a private Christian college and was accepted into the seminary program but didn't become a pastor for a few reasons. Many of the popular athletes would invoke Christ for their own personal gain. If Landry is a good Christian, so be it, but he doesn't need to color everything he does with his Christianity. He also doesn't need to say "Looky here..I'm going to Haiti on a mission". Just go.

As I said, I was around plenty of guys who saw how being the Christian athlete gave them a free pass for their behavior and got "forgiveness" for their missteps.

Hopefully the dude's grown up. He just doesn't have to preach a sermon about it. Just do it.

NMSooner'80
2/22/2011, 01:29 AM
We have watched Landry Jones mature since he has been here. It couldn't have been easy when Sam went down to come in and even see him on the sideline knowing it was Sam's team. Think it became Landry's team when we beat OSU when all the local sports people said it was OSU's year in 2009 and then we went to the Sun Bowl and beat the highly favored Stanford.

He had several not so good games but he never quit and kept fighting back. At the same time our defense was getting a lot better and in the Baylor game on the road it all came together and continued through OSU and Nebraska and then the Fiesta Bowl.

Takes a lot for a person to admit their mistakes like Landry did when he was speaking in NM. Sounds like he is a better person now -- it seems he has matured not only on the field but off the field.

Now the team is truly Landry Jones team and I, for one, am looking forward to this fall as he takes the field.

Well said! That was also why I posted this in the first place.

picasso
2/22/2011, 09:46 AM
Easy there chet.

I went to a private Christian college and was accepted into the seminary program but didn't become a pastor for a few reasons. Many of the popular athletes would invoke Christ for their own personal gain. If Landry is a good Christian, so be it, but he doesn't need to color everything he does with his Christianity. He also doesn't need to say "Looky here..I'm going to Haiti on a mission". Just go.

As I said, I was around plenty of guys who saw how being the Christian athlete gave them a free pass for their behavior and got "forgiveness" for their missteps.

Hopefully the dude's grown up. He just doesn't have to preach a sermon about it. Just do it.

I hope he reads this in order to thoroughly continue his spiritual and personal life according to internet poster person.
I agree on the doing charity work without calling attention to it but Landry isn't in the same position as you and I. He can actually influence folks in that regard.

bixby28
2/22/2011, 11:13 AM
Easy there chet.

This was an article discussing Landry's maturation and experience at OU. He mentions Christ and shares his passion for the Kingdom now the guy "colors everything he does with his Christianity" all of a sudden.:confused: He is simply talking about his faith changing his attitude(s) and outlook in his life. What's there to get wound up about ?

Talking about God or the bible doesn't make the guy self-righteous. From what it seems, his faith has helped him find peace and purpose for his life. I think everybody desires those things.

If he brings up his faith in an article or an interview, great. In the end, it's SOMEONE else he's concerned about pleasing.

C&CDean
2/22/2011, 01:12 PM
Easy there chet.

1. How do you derive "chet" from "Dean?"

2. I have no problem with your opinion about Jones and his past/beliefs.

3. I agree that he needs to quit the preaching every time he opens his mouth.

4. I don't take the words of a teenager/young adult for anything more than they're worth - which is nada chingada.

5. I agree that he needs to STFU and just go on his mission. Of course this is difficult when you're the starting QB for a potential NC football team because the media is gonna be all over your jock. You can't **** without them reporting it.

NMSooner'80
2/22/2011, 02:22 PM
Keep a couple of things in mind regarding his speech:

1. One of his talks was at a church in Artesia.
2. This was the first time he'd been back down that way since the Sun Bowl. His parents moved to Norman.

PhiDeltBeers
2/22/2011, 04:26 PM
This was an article discussing Landry's maturation and experience at OU. He mentions Christ and shares his passion for the Kingdom now the guy "colors everything he does with his Christianity" all of a sudden.:confused: He is simply talking about his faith changing his attitude(s) and outlook in his life. What's there to get wound up about ?

Talking about God or the bible doesn't make the guy self-righteous. From what it seems, his faith has helped him find peace and purpose for his life. I think everybody desires those things.

If he brings up his faith in an article or an interview, great. In the end, it's SOMEONE else he's concerned about pleasing.

Well said.

Okie Hillbilly
2/22/2011, 05:00 PM
Easy there chet.

You, my dear internet non-acquaintance, are an idiot. If you have run out of reasons why you didn't become a pastor, let me know, I will help you add to the list. As for your post, you make some woefully ignorant statements:

"He doesn't need to color everything he does with his Christianity." That is in fact the essence of Christianity...to have Christ impact every area of your life.

"He doesn't have to preach a sermon about it." When he was asked to speak/preach at his home church, I would think preaching is in order. But I don't have your private Christian school background and coulda gone to seminary training.

dynersooner
2/23/2011, 10:12 AM
I wish he and austin box wouldnt wear the same #. It drives my 5yr old son absolutely INSANE.

During the entire 2nd half of the season, I prayed that i would be able to make it an entire game without him asking why the QB just tackled a guy, that prayer was never answered.

Landry, do the right thing, get yourself a number than no one else on the team has.

and chet, why did you call socali a fag, then agree with him???

NMSooner'80
2/23/2011, 10:58 AM
Speaking of Landry and his speaking engagements, he had one in Ardmore last night. He was joined by Justin Blackmon, who's from there but went to Plainview instead of AHS.

http://www.ardmoreite.com/sports/x1027120379/Heroes-off-the-field

SoCaliSooner
2/23/2011, 12:08 PM
You, my dear internet non-acquaintance, are an idiot. If you have run out of reasons why you didn't become a pastor, let me know, I will help you add to the list. As for your post, you make some woefully ignorant statements:

"He doesn't need to color everything he does with his Christianity." That is in fact the essence of Christianity...to have Christ impact every area of your life.

"He doesn't have to preach a sermon about it." When he was asked to speak/preach at his home church, I would think preaching is in order. But I don't have your private Christian school background and coulda gone to seminary training.

I guess it's okay to be deeply Christian all his life prior to attending OU but then when he doesn't get his way and faces adversity, he rips his teammates and sulks...for the entire year. That's hardly the "color of Christianity". Now that he's the starter and the team is poised for a run, he's now coincidentally back on track.

Again, it's easy to be Mr. Christian when you are the starter and the team is good. It's much harder when things aren't going your way.

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:19 PM
and chet, why did you call socali a fag, then agree with him???

So, what are you, some kinda homophobe?

SoCaliSooner
2/23/2011, 01:21 PM
So, what are you, some kinda homophobe?
Easy there chet...

C&CDean
2/23/2011, 01:26 PM
I got yer chet.

NMSooner'80
2/23/2011, 02:59 PM
I liked the headline of the Ardmore paper's article. If people don't want to consider Landry a hero off the field, or at least be happy for him that a newspaper in Oklahoma does, then it's just sad.

Kilmer
2/23/2011, 03:01 PM
I guess it's okay to be deeply Christian all his life prior to attending OU but then when he doesn't get his way and faces adversity, he rips his teammates and sulks...for the entire year. That's hardly the "color of Christianity". Now that he's the starter and the team is poised for a run, he's now coincidentally back on track.

Again, it's easy to be Mr. Christian when you are the starter and the team is good. It's much harder when things aren't going your way.

In the article he openly admitted that football was his life when he initially went to OU and when football didn't go his way he spiraled downhill because that was his life. Often times God will allow a person to be broken and at their lowest to realize how much they need Him.

You could also look at it as things weren't going his way because he didn't have his life in order and now that he has his priorities straight his life has begun to turn around for him again thus leading to his success. It also takes a lot of courage to admit your own faults and share them with others in an attempt to help people learn from your mistakes.

Landry isn't perfect by any stretch and at times I have questioned whether or not he was even the best option on the team to QB the Sooners, but you have got to respect the man for persevering and overcoming adversity and coming out a better man for it.

Don't be so quick to judge someone you've never met or known and talk about what is easy and hard for him to do behind your computer screen. The easy thing to do would have been to never publically mention his hardships and go along as if it never happened. Opening up about them and showing new found maturity is very encouraging to me and makes me feel much more confident in him leading the Sooners going forward.

Leroy Lizard
2/23/2011, 03:24 PM
Landry looks like the type that isn't going to embarrass his university with off-the-field shenanigans. So he's alright in my book.

Okie Hillbilly
2/23/2011, 03:34 PM

I would truly hate to be as jaded as you appear to be. Do you really think that a young man who speaks of a spiritual turn-around in his life is in actuality just choreographing the whole experience to coincide with his football fortunes? Or, have you just backed yourself so far into a corner with your debate that you are spouting nonsense to cover your tracks?

SoCaliSooner's take on the Apostle Paul's conversion experience: "Sure, now that you are getting to write about half of the New Testament you are all for Jesus. But where was that attitude when you were holding coats at Stephen's stoning?" Sometimes people have GENUINE spiritual experiences. Why are you completely unwilling to take that at face value?