PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft Bonanza - Doctor Killer

StoopTroup
2/18/2011, 04:41 PM
One of my Family members owned one of these and was forced to install the cuffs on the "RudderVators" prior to selling it. Anyway I was doing some research as a friend had called saying he had a bet with some guy who said he was an aviation buff/expert and my friend had mentioned the Doctor Killer and the expert had said there was no such thing. I laughed as I knew it was true. We both were cracking up about "The Expert".

I did a quick search and within 5 seconds verified the moniker that Beechcraft's Modernized Aircraft had been given. Also...I guess I hadn't realized that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper died in one. I knew they had died in a plane crash due to bad weather but had never linked them to the Bonanza.

Just a little tidbit of Aviation History for the Oval.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:24 PM
The Beech Bonanza was my pop's "wanna buy someday" plane. He was always into the weird aircraft. That V-tail just intrigued the **** outta him. And yes, many a doctor/lawyer/plumber/cook/singer/rocker/layman breathed their last breath in one of these death machines.

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 05:30 PM
Dentist like to nose planes in as well....

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:32 PM
Last I checked, dentists are doctors.

okie52
2/18/2011, 05:46 PM
Last I heard the V tail surfaces were called elevons.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:50 PM
Last I heard people that 1-star threads are called homos.

okie52
2/18/2011, 05:56 PM
Is that worse than being a 5 star homo?

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:57 PM
Nah, but = to.

okie52
2/18/2011, 05:59 PM
I haven't figured out the ranking system here. But I haven't really tried, either.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 06:00 PM
Some mentioned the Bonanza when I bot my plane
I said No thanks and bot my Archer instead:cool:

sperry
2/18/2011, 06:05 PM
Dentist like to nose planes in as well....

Dentists probably shouldnt' be given lots of money, it never ends well for them. Those that don't buy planes that they subsequently crash tend to get their money taken by con artists. I took a securities regulation class last semester, and the plaintiff in just about every securities fraud case we read was some dentist that lost their shirt in some scheme.

Mongo
2/18/2011, 06:13 PM
Some mentioned the Bonanza when I bot my plane
I said No thanks and bot my Archer instead:cool:

Is this when you were a coke mule during the 70's and 80's?

:D

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 06:18 PM
Dentist are suckers for sure.....

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 06:18 PM
Is this when you were a coke mule during the 70's and 80's?

:D

Heh SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:D

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 06:20 PM
Last I heard people that 1-star threads are called homos.

Not according to "The Hangover"....

SunnySooner
2/18/2011, 06:21 PM
Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane with Richie Valens and The Big Bopper. He and Buddy Holly flipped for it or something like that, loser got the bus. Waylon lost, Buddy died. Just a little trivia for the Oval.

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 06:25 PM
Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane with Richie Valens and The Big Bopper. He and Buddy Holly flipped for it or something like that, loser got the bus. Waylon lost, Buddy died. Just a little trivia for the Oval.

Yup Waylon's last words to Buddy Holly were...."I hope your old plane crashes".....In response to Buddy Holly telling Jennings he hoped his old bus froze.....

btk108
2/18/2011, 11:48 PM
This was my favorite Bonanza

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/bonanza-6.jpg

StoopTroup
2/18/2011, 11:56 PM
No way ole Dan Blocker could have flown a Bonanza. He had to be over the limit without the horse.

btk108
2/19/2011, 12:24 AM
No way ole Dan Blocker could have flown a Bonanza. He had to be over the limit without the horse.

and Hop Sing.....he wasn't going anywhere without Hop Sing

pphilfran
2/19/2011, 11:39 AM
In reality it looks like it is a safe as other aircraft in its class..it just had the high profile crashes...along with being one of the most popular aircraft ever built...

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9402.html

Compared to other aircraft in this study, Bonanzas have a lower overall accident rate — and that speaks well of this high-performance single.

yermom
2/19/2011, 01:36 PM
As has been the case with all the other aircraft we have reviewed thus far, Bonanza pilots have been their own worst enemies. The V-tail pilots were responsible for about 73 percent (248 accidents) of accidents, and the straight-tail pilots weighed in at a whopping 83 percent (154 accidents).

that's the reason i always heard it's "doctor killer" and not "pilot killer"

rich doctor decides he needs a new bigger, faster plane, but isn't that experienced as a pilot, crashes it. rinse, repeat.

StoopTroup
2/19/2011, 01:59 PM
The plane looked cool. It was on a lot of TV Shows which helped develop it's coolness. Getting out and walking down the wing looked cooler than climbing out of the planes with wings that were over your head. Also the view when flying was cool and with all things in aviation a plane that resembled a fighter is way sexier than one that looked like a small bomber. Add to it the V tail. It made it more difficult to control and after a few accidents/deaths they found that the V really should be beefed up and an AD (Airworthiness Directive) was put on the plane. Many owners kept flying until they ran the risk of getting caught or turned in and if you didn't do the required changes/repairs the plane was basically a nice parts bin for other VTail Owners. Once the AD changes were made it was deemed a much safer aircraft, especially if you didn't push the limits of them.

They are a cool plane but if I had the dough I'd rather have a Duchess, Piper Twin or step up and get a KingAir.

http://www.velozia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Beechcraft-76-Duchess-Ahunt.jpg

http://www.airventure.org/awards/images/aircraft/N5272P_piper_comanche.jpg

http://millionairesconciergejetcharters.com/images/millionaires_concierge_fighter_jet_rides.jpg

KABOOKIE
2/19/2011, 02:08 PM
Last I heard the V tail surfaces were called elevons.

Last I checked they were called ruddervators. Elevons combine the elevator and ailerons.

And what is thread? Remembering 1984 or did someone just take a 1st year law school class?

Mongo
2/19/2011, 02:37 PM
Last I checked they were called ruddervators. Elevons combine the elevator and ailerons.

Like you would know.....wait...

okie52
2/19/2011, 02:56 PM

You're right. My bad.

Xunil
2/20/2011, 02:19 PM
Always been partial to the King Air myself.

sooner59
2/20/2011, 03:45 PM
My uncle had part ownership of a King Air for 5 or 6 years. I flew flew from Gene Autry, OK to Sarasota, FL in it once. Man that was sweet. Makes you feel important....until you land and see all of the Gulfstream jets. Still fun though, and you get to bypass all the crap at large airports.

StoopTroup
2/20/2011, 04:31 PM
KIngAir rmfo

Turd_Ferguson
2/20/2011, 07:21 PM
Worked for a guy that owned a Bonanza...first time I flew with him we were leveling out for cruise and the tail started shaking violently...as the speed increased, the shaking stopped. He looked at me and grinned and said "they call that the Bonanza boogie." I thanked him for making me **** my paints...

Turd_Ferguson
2/20/2011, 07:27 PM
In reality it looks like it is a safe as other aircraft in its class..it just had the high profile crashes...along with being one of the most popular aircraft ever built...

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9402.html

Compared to other aircraft in this study, Bonanzas have a lower overall accident rate — and that speaks well of this high-performance single.Always kinda figgered the "doctor killer" name the a/c adopted was probably more due to the popularity of the plane and rich guy's not being good pilots...getting themselves into situations they couldn't, or didn't know how to get out of...

Okieflyer
2/21/2011, 12:02 PM
that's the reason i always heard it's "doctor killer" and not "pilot killer"

rich doctor decides he needs a new bigger, faster plane, but isn't that experienced as a pilot, crashes it. rinse, repeat.

This!