PDA

View Full Version : Archie Bradley

sperry
2/18/2011, 01:35 PM
I knew the kid was supposed to be a great baseball prospect, but didn't really know how good. According to ESPN's Keith Law, Bradley is the #9 overall prospect for the '11 draft, and is a dark horse candidate for the number one overall pick. I can't imagine we'll ever see him on campus unless he washes out of the minors in 5 years or something. You'd have to be a lunatic to turn down that kind of money as an unproven high school baseball prospect.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/18/2011, 01:37 PM
Big arm for sure. But i agree. It will be hard to get him on campus and keep him

Memtig14
2/18/2011, 01:40 PM
Big arm for sure. But i agree. It will be hard to get him on campus and keep him

Then don't come to campus at all. Go play pro ball. If it doesn't work.....come back with 5 years to work on football.

MojoRisen
2/18/2011, 02:28 PM
Some great QBs have come back from the minors! I am all for it - if he is the real deal though he could play both sports in college and still go pro.

JiminyChristmas
2/18/2011, 02:33 PM
There were pro scouts from every MLB team watching him pitch at their scrimmage yesterday in Broken Arrow. He is hearing from some that he might be the Number #1 overall pick.

kelloggOUballa
2/18/2011, 02:52 PM
I have never really considered him a future QB at OU, so it will just be a pleasant surprise if he comes to school and goes to work!

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 02:54 PM
As much as I'd love to have him here playing two sports for us, he'd be silly to walk from that deal.

stoopified
2/18/2011, 03:00 PM
As much as I'd love to have him here playing two sports for us, he'd be silly to walk from that deal. True dat.I would take the money and run.

KantoSooner
2/18/2011, 03:02 PM
Right now, we're not hurting for QB's. Let him go make money and then come back to football if it doesn't work out.

badger
2/18/2011, 03:44 PM
Deion Sanders once had an offer to play pro baseball outta high school, then decided that if they would offer him a few million now, they would probably offer many more millions a few years from then. I think he went to FSU.

With Archie, selfishly, it would be soooo much fun to watch him play for OU baseball (and if football is good for him too, more power to him). A pro-level pitcher for our team? Omaha, here we come! (again!)

Alas, that's about the only thing he would be missing out on now if he chooses to go pro, because as we've seen with "Old Guy" Weeden at Poke State and other places, like yeah, that 2000 Nat'l Title game (and yes, I know that game was technically in 2001, so don't even TRY to correct me!), it's quite common for pro baseballers to come back for college football.

In this case, I really just think Archie shouldn't get pressure either way, because both are awesome directions to go.

MojoRisen
2/18/2011, 04:03 PM
How much does he sign for as a number 1 or top 10 pick? I am thinking he is going to get like 5-10 million guarantee and he would have to take that...

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 04:35 PM
more than even Auburn could pay.

cantwait48
2/18/2011, 04:48 PM
being a pitcher and the arm trouble they tend to have he would have to be crazy not to take the money and go pro.

Mad Dog Madsen
2/18/2011, 05:05 PM
Geez, somebody should just ask him if he's coming here or not. I'm sure oudavid has a source... :D

Memtig14
2/18/2011, 05:15 PM
more than even Auburn could pay.

Geeeez..........you think THAT much???

:)

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 05:19 PM
Geeeez..........you think THAT much???

:)

maybe not.

tator
2/18/2011, 05:31 PM
I'm interested at how different these opinions are than when one of our players is considering going to the NFL.

I do agree that almost guaranteed money is plain stupid to turn down, just interested at the difference.

northspeter
2/18/2011, 05:32 PM
TCU has a kid that was a top 15 pick in last years MLB draft... he didnt like the offer the rangers made him... he enrolled at TCU and took them to the world series as a freshman... 1st round picks turn down the money every year... it happens... with that being said, if bradley does turn down the money... i still don't see him playing football at OU, he cant commit fully to it, he'd miss a chunk of spring every year he was here... plus and he's not a big 12 caliber qb at half-in... he'd have to be all-in to be big 12 caliber... has tools to work with but not much game savvy....

47straight
2/18/2011, 05:43 PM
I'm interested at how different these opinions are than when one of our players is considering going to the NFL.

I do agree that almost guaranteed money is plain stupid to turn down, just interested at the difference.

The difference is in the guarenteed money (like you mentioned) which is normative in baseball, as opposed to the Not For Long league.

tator
2/18/2011, 05:47 PM
I disagree, when you're a top 10 NFL pick, you're going to make plenty of money.

If that's not what you're saying, we're not communicating very well. If anything, I would think baseball is a better choice for going to college first. How many career-ending injuries are there in baseball, as compared to football? It's a relatively safe sport.

sperry
2/18/2011, 05:56 PM
I disagree, when you're a top 10 NFL pick, you're going to make plenty of money.

If that's not what you're saying, we're not communicating very well. If anything, I would think baseball is a better choice for going to college first. How many career-ending injuries are there in baseball, as compared to football? It's a relatively safe sport.

Not for pitchers. Pitchers blow their arms out all the time.

47straight
2/18/2011, 07:32 PM

Baseball contracts are guarenteed, football ones are not. The top 10 NFL picks will make money out of signing bonuses and their first year's salary, but anything beyond that, and everything for the rest of the league that isn't a top 10 pick, is going to be year-to-year.

OU-HSV
2/18/2011, 08:49 PM
There were pro scouts from every MLB team watching him pitch at their scrimmage yesterday in Broken Arrow. He is hearing from some that he might be the Number #1 overall pick.

There was an article about him in the Tulsa World a few weeks ago and they said they expect a ton of scouts at B.A.'s games all season.

I agree with Kelogg, I've kinda figured the whole time that he would never set foot on campus. Of course I guess it's all speculation until after the MLB draft.

SOONER STEAKER
2/18/2011, 09:18 PM
I would hate to be Shannon Dobson who is the BA HS coach. Every inning he leaves Archie in, in one less inning left in the arm. I've seen many HS coaches ruin arms in HS. Colby Miller from Weatherford was overthrown his sr year at Weatherford HS. He was a bust for the Twins. What was the LHP from Owasso who threw close to 100 innings his sr year, seems like he is stuck in "A" ball.

There are only so many innings in an arm. Get the money and sign pro!! If it don't work out in baseball, come back and play f-ball at OU.

goingoneight
2/18/2011, 09:37 PM
Maybe we'll get him back when he's 40 like Chris Weinke or Brandon Weeden. :D

northspeter
2/18/2011, 10:29 PM
There was an article about him in the Tulsa World a few weeks ago and they said they expect a ton of scouts at B.A.'s games all season.

I agree with Kelogg, I've kinda figured the whole time that he would never set foot on campus. Of course I guess it's all speculation until after the MLB draft.

its not just archie, theyve got another kid... mason hope i think... who will be drafted as well... also signed loi with ou baseball...

BigJerm7
2/19/2011, 06:56 AM
I live down the street from BA, may have to go watch them play.

OU-HSV
2/19/2011, 09:03 AM
its not just archie, theyve got another kid... mason hope i think... who will be drafted as well... also signed loi with ou baseball...

I don't think I knew about that kid. But I don't keep up w/baseball like I do football. Football and living in B.A. are the only reasons I really knew about Archie.
I remember reading about him when he was transferring in from Muskogee. And I think I saw him playing QB for Muskogee when they came and played at B.A. in like '08.

Always_Sooner
2/19/2011, 09:13 PM
He could be another Weeden except for us...

Ruf/Nek7
2/19/2011, 11:45 PM
Alot of it also depends on who drafts him in the MLB draft. Rangers drafted Purke a few years back but could not reach an agreement so he went thru with his schollie to TCU. Let's just hope that happens!

Sooner74
2/20/2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah Baseball America has him as the #3 prospect and the Mason kid is #30 something. Two very good pitchers. I hope to see them on campus, but I doubt that will happen.

OUmillenium
2/20/2011, 10:01 AM
I would hate to be Shannon Dobson who is the BA HS coach. Every inning he leaves Archie in, in one less inning left in the arm. I've seen many HS coaches ruin arms in HS. Colby Miller from Weatherford was overthrown his sr year at Weatherford HS. He was a bust for the Twins. What was the LHP from Owasso who threw close to 100 innings his sr year, seems like he is stuck in "A" ball.

There are only so many innings in an arm. Get the money and sign pro!! If it don't work out in baseball, come back and play f-ball at OU.

Good points. Colby fought injuries his entire pro career. He was a stud in hs though. Culd have been a 3-sport all stater. avgd 22 a game in hoops. Prob the best 3 sport guy i have seen.

I would hate to be Dobson for a different reason...you coach at a school of 5,000 (twice as big as everyone except union) and havent won a state title in baseball or football since the creation of 6A. If they don't win it this year...?

And remember Bundy is still at Owasso and he might pick up 25 wins this year and throw 50,000 pitches if thats what it takes for them to win state. ;>
Mark Ginther (Jenks) very similar nut he gave up hoops after 8th grade even though he was really good.

JiminyChristmas
2/20/2011, 03:07 PM
There is a football connection with Mason Hope at OU here as well. His younger brother (Garrett Hope) who is a junior this year, is a bigtime football recruit. He lives with his mom down in the Houston area. Could be a 2 for 1 type deal. Although Mason is expected to be a pretty high draft pick too so who knows if he will ever see the campus either.

OUmillenium
2/20/2011, 04:20 PM
Nice. Garrett was a beast linebcker as a Freshman. Started for us in varsity baseball as well but moved after that year when the family situation got messy. Mason threw Fri against bville so we didnt see him or archie yday although I didnt stay for whole scrim.