PDA

View Full Version : Texas Speeding Ticket Question

sappstuf
2/18/2011, 12:33 PM
I am in the Navy and yesterday I had a Sailor who recieved a speeding ticket in Selma, Texas at about 0400 in the morning as he was coming to the base to PT. He was doing 82 in a 65. His ticket was for speeding. Fine.. Do the crime pay the fine, I have no problem with that.

Here is where I have a problem.

The Sailor is from Michigan and his DL is from Michigan. He identified himself as active duty Navy. The PoPo told him that Michigan is one of 6 states that does not have an agreement or something and that he would have to pay the fine at that very moment. My guy ask "Or what?" and the policeman's response was "Or I will take you to jail.". My guy said that he wasn't going to go to jail because he was leading the physical fitness session on the military base. He asked the policeman how much the fine was going to be and the policeman said he would have to find out. He goes back to his car then comes back and says it is $185 and he asks again if my guy can pay the fine. My guy responds that he is not going to jail for speeding and basically says he has no choice but to pay the fine. The police calls for backup because he didn't have the credit card swiper. Backup arrives my guy pays the fine, gets his ticket and court date and takes off.

My guy has never had a previous speeding ticket and all insurance is up to date.

My question.

Can a person be taken to jail immediately if they cannot pay the fine on the spot? Is this common practice? It seems outrageous that an active duty Sailor would be threatened with jail for a simple speeding ticket because of an out of state driver's license. Am I wrong?

If anyone has knowledge of Texas laws in this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. This guy was a relatively high ranking enlisted person and had the means to immediately pay the fine, but I am concerned about one of the lower enlisted guys not have the means to immediately pay the fine, getting jailed, car towed and all the additional cost above the ticket.

I want to call the local news and report how the city of Selma treats active duty military who get speeding tickets, but I don't know how common this practice is.

Please help!

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 12:37 PM
No Clue But it sounds Like the Cop was a Big doosh

AlbqSooner
2/18/2011, 12:41 PM
I do not know Texas law, but that sounds highly irregular. Check with someone at JAG offices.

sappstuf
2/18/2011, 12:41 PM
No Clue But it sounds Like the Cop was a Big doosh

My guy said he was being a complete doosh and borderline unprofessional, but I didn't want to put that in the original post because I wanted to focus on the being forced to pay a fine on the spot.

sappstuf
2/18/2011, 12:49 PM
I do not know Texas law, but that sounds highly irregular. Check with someone at JAG offices.

He went to legal and they had never head of it, but told him to keep them informed of what happens.. I don't think they specialize in state matters. Basically no real help.

What I would like to do is embarrass the ^&*@ out of the city of Selma for treating an active duty member like that who lives.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 12:50 PM
Yup Albq hit it. Check with the JAG and then make an announcement about it to all yer peeps.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:53 PM
Did your guy get the cop's name and badge #? I'd be calling his superiors or the DPS or somebody to see if this crap was kosher.

A Sooner in Texas
2/18/2011, 01:05 PM
I'm no lawyer but I've never heard of "agreements" between states concerning immediate payment of speeding tickets. I guess the peace treaty talks between Texas and Michigan fell through. Seriously, there isn't anything in the Texas Transportation Code about something like that...I think the cop suckered the sailor. You could call Texas DPS and ask.
Selma's right outside of San Antonio...you could contact the Express-News or one of the TV stations and get them to look into it.

sooner_born_1960
2/18/2011, 01:11 PM
I think it probably has something to do with Michigan not being a member of the Drivers License Compact (google it).

OrlandoSooner
2/18/2011, 01:14 PM
Not about the original question, but Selma has long been a speed trap. I grew up in New Braunfels and learned to never speed through that part of I 35. Too many stories about tickets for going only a couple of miles over the limit.

A Sooner in Texas
2/18/2011, 01:19 PM
I think it probably has something to do with Michigan not being a member of the Drivers License Compact (google it).

Was not familiar with that, so thanks for helping me learn something new today. :)

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:25 PM

Dint know what it was called But thats what i was thinkin about

LePetomaine
2/18/2011, 01:29 PM
Have your guy look at sanantoniobar.org and contact their lawyer referral service, or the one for the state bar. He explains the situation and gets a few local names to call. Then, a few questions over the phone likely will cost nothing, and may find a lawyer who will take the matter pro bono.

I've heard of things like that, with the reasoning that Johnny Law is afraid that the person will leave the state without going to court, paying, etc. However, the problem with that is that the driver has not been found guilty of any offense, or even entered a plea.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:37 PM
Have your guy look at sanantoniobar.org and contact their lawyer referral service, or the one for the state bar. He explains the situation and gets a few local names to call. Then, a few questions over the phone likely will cost nothing, and may find a lawyer who will take the matter pro bono.

I've heard of things like that, with the reasoning that Johnny Law is afraid that the person will leave the state without going to court, paying, etc. However, the problem with that is that the driver has not been found guilty of any offense, or even entered a plea.

This, He basically just Posted BOND and promised to appear in court
In OK used to be the PoPo took yer license as Bond and the ticket was yer Temp License till you went to court and fessed up. Now If you got another ticket while driving on a ticket you had to post cash bond. I remember seeing several times a Trooper driving some one to the nearest mail box so they could mail in the Bond right then
It was a PITA so they did away with that

soonercruiser
2/18/2011, 01:45 PM
Not about the original question, but Selma has long been a speed trap. I grew up in New Braunfels and learned to never speed through that part of I 35. Too many stories about tickets for going only a couple of miles over the limit.

EXACTLY!
I lived in San Antonio for 10 years.
Selma was "THE" most notorious speed trap area even back in the early 90s.
(small ville north of Universal City, along I-35)
I have heard soooooo many stories about what the local "Justice of the Peace" lets them do, that I would just pay now, and learn from it. And, I was on active duty back then too.

LePetomaine
2/18/2011, 02:05 PM
In OK used to be the PoPo took yer license as Bond and the ticket was yer Temp License till you went to court and fessed up. Now If you got another ticket while driving on a ticket you had to post cash bond. I remember seeing several times a Trooper driving some one to the nearest mail box so they could mail in the Bond right then

Hmmm, that makes sense; also remember hearing a similar explaination traveling from Houston to Norman

sappstuf
2/18/2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks, I will forward that website to him.

The member owns a home in Schertz. He bought one when he took orders here about 3 months ago, so he has an address 4 miles from where he got the ticket.

It is not uncommon for service members to have a license from a different state then where they are currently stationed. That is why this seems so weird to me.

I have never heard of the Drivers License Compact. Learned something new.

I have lived in Cibolo for 2 years, and trust me, the first thing I asked him was "What in the hell were you speeding for in that area?" I don't mind that he got the ticket, I just don't like the pay $185 now or go to jail options.

Ike
2/18/2011, 03:11 PM

At least as of a few years ago, IL still did things this way. Or at least their HiPo did when they stuck me on a 1 month expired tag.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 03:19 PM
At least as of a few years ago, IL still did things this way. Or at least their HiPo did when they stuck me on a 1 month expired tag.

Dayum Yankees :D

yermom
2/18/2011, 03:46 PM
so being active duty means you have an excuse to speed? ;)

sappstuf
2/18/2011, 05:03 PM
so being active duty means you have an excuse to speed? ;)

Damn straight! You don't hear about these problems in a Navy town. ;)

soonercruiser
2/18/2011, 06:09 PM
Damn straight! You don't hear about these problems in a Navy town. ;)

Damn right!
Speed limit 20 knots!
:D

Fly high!
Go, Air Force....no speed limits at "Angels 12"!