PDA

View Full Version : When should I start watering my lawn?

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 11:38 AM
Lawn experts?

saucysoonergal
2/18/2011, 11:39 AM
Are you near an open flame? If so, I would start immediately.

OUthunder
2/18/2011, 11:41 AM
I pizzed in my back yard, so I guess I started last nite.

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 11:45 AM
You live in South Tulsa so someone from north tulsa should automatically come by and do that for you. Don't give it another thought.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 11:47 AM
You live in South Tulsa so someone from east tulsa should automatically come by and do that for you. Don't give it another thought.

fify

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 11:50 AM
When it turns green......

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 11:51 AM
What kinda Grass?

Basicly just start watering when we go moren a week with out rain right now, Hot Dry summer every other day or so.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 11:56 AM
My lawn gets watered when God turns on the big sprinkler in the sky. And that's still too much damn mowing for my liking.

soonercruiser
2/18/2011, 12:00 PM
All grasses need some moisture.
In Oklahoma....
Fescues, or shade grasses need some any time they are growing. During mild winters, this might be at least bi-weekly all year round. Our last two freezes in OK probably negated that until you start overseeding, early-mid March.
Even though Bermuda grass goes dormant in the winter, the roots are storing energy for the spring. So, if it hasn't rained (or snowed like it has in OKCity lately), you might water once a month. Otherwise, bermuda requires a lot of water and fertilizer once it starts growing. (Nights consistently in the 60+F range - days in the 80s)

Position Limit
2/18/2011, 12:23 PM
I've never understood the obsession with watering lawns, seeding, fertilizing and all the other overpriced stuff that money can buy for the lawn. Every year i put out 1/3 the effort that the clowns up and down my street do and my turf looks just about the same. my crib is ridiculously landscaped too. i dont get it...

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you have a great thing going. So when do you start watering your lawn?

Position Limit
2/18/2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you have a great thing going. So when do you start watering your lawn?

like the above poster wrote, "when god turns the big sprinkler on". i usually turn my sprinkler system on from about mid july through august.

Boarder
2/18/2011, 02:00 PM
I refuse to give in to the peer pressure to have some super green lawn. I'll keep it mowed down, but that's about it. I'd love to have a lawn full of wildflowers and stuff.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 02:05 PM
Honestly I would like to live in Phoenix and have "zero-scaping", but unfortunately I don't. I've never been a big "lawn guy" but I also know that most people in this neighborhood likely are (have only lived here since November) so I don't want our lawn to look like poop.

Boarder
2/18/2011, 02:06 PM
Honestly I would like to live in Phoenix and have "zero-scaping", but unfortunately I don't. I've never been a big "lawn guy" but I also know that most people in this neighborhood likely are (have only lived here since November) so I don't want our lawn to look like poop.

I would love to have the desert rock lawn. I seriously considered it last year. Eff everyone else. It's your lawn. This whole societal pressure to have some perfect lawn and dump tons of chemicals down the sewers is ridiculous. Ridiculous I say!

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 02:09 PM
Heck I honestly would like to just spray diesel all over it and be done with it. But I'm for sure not gonna be using any chemicals. All I plan on doing is watering. We have some bald spots in the front where apparently the dumbace former owners had some stupid "decorative" rocks sitting, so hopefully those will fill in and look decent.

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 02:10 PM
How about just going natural like some are doing? No nothing, just let it grow and be whatever it becomes. Thoughts?

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 02:12 PM
How about just going natural like some are doing? No nothing, just let it grow and be whatever it becomes. Thoughts?

We would all be better off as a society, that's for sure. That would free us up to do sh*t other than worrying about how the patch of grass in front of our houses looks.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/18/2011, 02:15 PM
BOOM (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+should+i+start+watering+my+lawn)

OhU1
2/18/2011, 02:16 PM

Are we talking about women here? Maybe.

My next door neighbor's lawn when I'm trying to sell my house - nope.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 02:21 PM
BOOM (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+should+i+start+watering+my+lawn)

Oooooh, lmgtfy. That's a real blast from the past.

pphilfran
2/18/2011, 02:33 PM
As someone else already pointed out you should even water in the winter...

Once it greens up water deeply...watch for hot spots in the yard (areas that dry out sooner than other areas) and water when those hot spots show some water stress...

Water stress will cause the blades to lose some color..they won't appear as bright....the grass will also not spring back up as fast when walked upon...

In spring you can probably go a week...mid summer shoot for 4 days or so...

ouduckhunter
2/18/2011, 02:43 PM
If you live in my hood, start thinking about it in mid June!

Partial Qualifier
2/18/2011, 02:45 PM
I refuse to give in to the peer pressure to have some super green lawn. I'll keep it mowed down, but that's about it. I'd love to have a lawn full of wildflowers and stuff.

Would you skip around in a sundress and collect the wildflowers in a woven basket? :D

soonercruiser
2/18/2011, 06:40 PM
We would all be better off as a society, that's for sure. That would free us up to do sh*t other than worrying about how the patch of grass in front of our houses looks.

Like having the largest flatscreen HDTV on the block (and bragging about it); going to professional sporting events; eating out more days than you cook; spending over $500 for a suit; tailgating and going to Sooner football; buying our wives more diamonds; having a Hummer or BMW; paying for every teenager's abortion; or even spending alot of $$ on mods for your PT Cruiser.....BOOM! We all choose where to waste our money, don't we?
Just sayin'.....

Boarder
2/18/2011, 06:58 PM
having the largest flatscreen HDTV on the block (and bragging about it);
going to professional sporting events;
eating out more days than you cook;
spending over $500 for a suit;
tailgating and going to Sooner football;
buying our wives more diamonds;
having a Hummer or BMW;
paying for every teenager's abortion;
spending alot of $$ on mods for your PT Cruiser

Sing along!

Eight of these things belong together
Eight of these things are kind of the same
But one of these things is another rant of paranoia
Now it's time to play our game
It's time to play our game.

Breadburner
2/18/2011, 07:54 PM
Only water things in the winter that stay green.....