PDA

View Full Version : African American

KABOOKIE
2/17/2011, 09:44 PM
How long do you think that will last?

Some of us here are old enough to remember when it was perfectly acceptable and PC to say black people. Heck there's a couple here that probably remember when negro was OK.

I got to figure after about another 20 years or so they'll get tired of hearing someone say, "Oh look. A bunch of African Americans." and they'll find some other description for themselves.

Fraggle145
2/17/2011, 09:50 PM
I thought Black was okay again? :confused: I call black people black and they never seem to mind?

King Barry's Back
2/17/2011, 09:51 PM
Plenty of black Americans still call themselves "black."

I am old enough to remember "negro" being PC, and I am also old enough to remember why "they" asked that "negro" be retired.

The reasoning was that "negro," Spanish for black, was imposed by white people. So "they" were now choosing to call themselves "black."

I thought that was a good argument then, and I still think it is a good argument.

I never understood why "black" was supposed to be retired.

StoopTroup
2/17/2011, 09:52 PM
As long as Irish - American. Italian - American.

yermom
2/18/2011, 06:48 AM
as long as the NAACP and UNCF are around i'm calling them "negro coloreds"

AlbqSooner
2/18/2011, 06:49 AM
I too am old enough to remember negro being an acceptable term. When it became politically incorrect, the best reason I heard was that too many white folks could not pronounce negro correctly.

Okla-homey
2/18/2011, 06:51 AM

Some of us here are old enough to remember when it was perfectly acceptable and PC to say black people. Heck there's a couple here that probably remember when negro was OK.

I got to figure after about another 20 years or so they'll get tired of hearing someone say, "Oh look. A bunch of African Americans." and they'll find some other description for themselves.

I remember in the 1960's when I was a lad, we were supposed to say "colored." Hence, the NAACP.

I have a white friend who was born in South Africa. She, a blonde, takes delight in referring to herself as African-American.

yermom
2/18/2011, 06:53 AM
i really think African American isn't functional or descriptive enough

the idea of calling Obama an "African American" is pretty funny though

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2011, 08:48 AM
i really think African American isn't functional or descriptive enough

the idea of calling Obama an "African American" is pretty funny though

You mean half honky and half African American? :P

KC//CRIMSON
2/18/2011, 08:58 AM

Half honky and all donkey. Get it right. ;-)

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 08:59 AM

And all mooslum.

yermom
2/18/2011, 09:45 AM
or maybe Kenyan American?

OUMallen
2/18/2011, 10:20 AM
I don't get african-american. It's a more divisive term than just saying "black" IMO. It implies that we're different kidns of Americans. We're all just Americans. Some people's skin tone is different than others.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 10:26 AM
The day there are no longer any "african/asian/irish/italian/polish/lithuanian/german/great dane Americans is the day we'll finally be at Dr. King's dream. Unfortunately, many of these groups continue their self-segregation, so that day is a LONG way off.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, you will never get me to say "African American." When I do presentations or have conversations I say "black" if I'm referring to negroes. If I'm referring to Obama, I say "caramel."

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 10:30 AM
Nothing quite like a bunch of white guys sitting around talking about what black people should/should not be called. Hopefully the black posters are paying attention and will adjust their perception based on the outcome of this thread.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 10:43 AM
Nothing quite like a bunch of white guys sitting around talking about what black people should/should not be called. Hopefully the black posters are paying attention and will adjust their perception based on the outcome of this thread.

Oh look at Mr. Self-righteous honky apologist getting all up in us racists' grills. Blow me.

I don't care what they want me to call them. I don't care what they call me. I'm an American, and they're an American. Period.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 10:45 AM
Nah I'm just a "liberal pansy". Right?

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 10:45 AM
If you insist.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 10:47 AM
I have to say I admire your posting style. This seems to be a good outlet for you to let out your suppressed rage and hostility.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 10:50 AM
Hell Im old enough to remember when N***** was an acceptable form of address :eek:

jkjsooner
2/18/2011, 10:55 AM
I liked how in the Olympics they referred to a non-American swimmer as an African American. Say what?

Then, when that one black guy won the medals in speed skating, they kept saying he was the first African American to win a medal in the sport. It was quite an understatement as he was the first person of African descent to win a medal.

OUthunder
2/18/2011, 11:10 AM
I just call em the other white meat. :D

TUSooner
2/18/2011, 11:24 AM
I am a minority whitey white-bread in my town. I regularly describe black people as black (even "light" or "dark") when I'm talking to black people, and I have never been corrected or told I was being offensive. Only some white people I know say "African-American," and they say it in a too-proper tone of voice. I just think "African-American" has too many syllables. But I'll call anybody just about whatever they want to be called, as long as they call me Your Excellency.

OULenexaman
2/18/2011, 11:31 AM
why would you call them AA when 98% of them have never even been to Africa....let alone their parents or grandparents....

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 11:33 AM
The only black guy I'm in regular contact with now is from Cameroon. He likes soccer and has an awesome accent. He is African American because he is a citizen.

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 11:37 AM
i wonder why "native americans" are called this. i'm a native american, born
& raised in okmulgee.

if it's gotta be long, i prefer "american indians" actually i have indian friends (especially in okmulgee) & it never comes up.

they even have indian license plates.
ocmulgee

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 11:51 AM
I have to say I admire your posting style. This seems to be a good outlet for you to let out your suppressed rage and hostility.

That's what you call rage and hostility? Must be boring at your house. At my crib letting out rage and hostility involves lots of booze and multiple firearms.

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 11:58 AM
I consider myself black(ish) and don't really have any issue with being called that. No more than you probably do being called white. Specifically though I'm a European-African-Native American. Or what my dad calls a "mutt".

Carry on honkies.

OULenexaman
2/18/2011, 12:00 PM
I consider myself black(ish) and don't really have any issue with being called that. No more than you probably do being called white. Specifically though I'm a European-African-Native American. Or what my dad calls a "mutt".

Carry on honkies.

mutt.....like BHO...

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 12:02 PM

Carry on honkies.

Look out fer Dean, He shoots Mutts :eek:

saucysoonergal
2/18/2011, 12:03 PM
Carry on honkies.

Honkey? I prefer ofay. tia.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:08 PM
I am a minority whitey white-bread in my town. I regularly describe black people as black (even "light" or "dark") when I'm talking to black people, and I have never been corrected or told I was being offensive. Only some white people I know say "African-American," and they say it in a too-proper tone of voice. I just think "African-American" has too many syllables. But I'll call anybody just about whatever they want to be called, as long as they call me Your Excellency.

Yup. When I'm describing a black person to another black person I usually go "you know, the light skinned black guy who's really tall?" or "you know who I'm talking about, the really pretty black girl that works in accounting?"

I've never once had any of them be offended or correct me.

African-American is a product of the PC white liberal apologists who are completely clueless. Yes, some militant blacks like Jesse and big Al jumped all over it, but all the black folk I know don't have a problem with "black."

XingTheRubicon
every time I eat oatmeal, I think of that Golden Child scene when the kid found blood mixed in his oatmeal.

C&CDean

How 'bout white bitch?

jkjsooner
i wonder why "native americans" are called this. i'm a native american, born
& raised in okmulgee.

if it's gotta be long, i prefer "american indians" actually i have indian friends (especially in okmulgee) & it never comes up.

they even have indian license plates.
ocmulgee

Probably because you're not from India and we don't want to continue a term which originated from Columbus's ignorance about where he was.

We have a ton of Indians in this country. I work in computer programming and let me tell you they are everywhere. It gets really confusing...

saucysoonergal
2/18/2011, 12:09 PM
How 'bout white bitch?

Meh, I've been called worse.

2121Sooner
2/18/2011, 12:10 PM
Carry on honkies.

Uh....Caucasian American thank you very much.

C&CDean
Yeah, me too.

Jammin'
mutt.....like BHO...

Pfft, BHO is a mix of only two breeds, I've got like 4 or 5. (at least)

I am a melting pot. I am America.

Suck on that you posers.

Look out fer Dean, He shoots Mutts :eek:

Dean and I don't see eye to eye on much. I'm cool with dat and the black part of me hopes I'm quick enough to stay out of his path.

can we settle on "cracker-***-cracker"? tia.

saucysoonergal
2/18/2011, 12:11 PM
That does have a nice ring to it.

3rdgensooner
2/18/2011, 12:11 PM
African-American is a product of the PC white liberal apologists who are completely clueless.
As an average white woman, I don't really have a dog in this hunt. But what PC white liberal apologists are you specifically speaking of? And how did these apologists accomplish this? What is their power over non PC white liberal apologists?

XingTheRubicon
2/18/2011, 12:13 PM
basically that they won't shut up

2121Sooner
2/18/2011, 12:13 PM
What do you mean by "these apologists"?!?!?!??!

OhU1
2/18/2011, 12:14 PM
I think I've heard of black folk from Haiti and other foreign countries referred to as "African Americans" by journalists earnestly trying to be politically correct. LOL.

Remember "people of color"? Sounds like an insulting term to me. Is the term "people of color" still used?

Perhaps it's the generic term for anyone not white. "Of color". Sounds to me like an extension of the old term "colored people".

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 12:19 PM
What about yellow or red person?

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:23 PM
As an average white woman, I don't really have a dog in this hunt. But what PC white liberal apologists are you specifically speaking of? And how did these apologists accomplish this? What is their power over non PC white liberal apologists?

I don't know, you tell me. If I ventured a guess, I'd say it's because of the TV news losers, but that'd just be a guess.

Of course the slack-jawed liberal masses have to be stupid/gullible enough to pick up on it and start using it. Guess they are, huh?

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:23 PM

I'm bronze.

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 12:25 PM

have you ever seen anyone that was "red" or "yellow" ???

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:30 PM

Chief Osceola.

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 12:32 PM

Brown, then.

OhU1
2/18/2011, 12:33 PM

A meth adict with hepatis at the county jail once.

Okla-homey
2/18/2011, 12:45 PM
Chief Osceola.

...who is buried just outside and to the right of the main gate at Fort Moultrie on Sullivans Island, Charleston County, SC.

I've always wondered why the Seminole Nation never raised a ruckus to have his remains repatriated.

Caboose
2/18/2011, 12:49 PM
The only black guy I'm in regular contact with now is from Cameroon. He likes soccer and has an awesome accent. He is African American because he is a citizen.

Actually he is American.

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 01:23 PM
No, I think he has dual citizenship...

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:27 PM
No, I think he has dual citizenship...

Not sure, But dont ya have to Renounce yer citizenship from another Country when ya get Naturalized?

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 01:28 PM
no, you don't.

MR2-Sooner86
2/18/2011, 01:28 PM
I avoid all that race talk because it leads to nothing but trouble. I just call them "worthless." ;)

Seriously though, African-American is an oxymoron.

Are they from Africa originally? Do they have duel citizenship? No? Ok, they're an American. What if it's a black person in England? African-English? African-French? African-German?

"But their family came from Africa long ago!"

So if I move to Japan tomorrow can I be called an American-Japanese? What about to Russia? American-Russian?

Where do you stop?

So stop trying to run around on egg shells trying to not offend people. I'm white, they're black, end of discussion.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:33 PM
no, you don't.

You Know this fer true?
Guess I could ax My DIL she just got her Merican citizenship

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 01:37 PM
You Know this fer true?
Guess I could ax My DIL she just got her Merican citizenship

I know nothing for sure.

and I lie a lot just for fun.

We are going to get along great.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:39 PM
I know nothing for sure.

and I lie a lot just for fun.

We are going to get along great.

Uh Prolly not, If ya dont agree much with Dean then Ya wont agree much with me either, We kinda cut from the same cloth :cool:

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 01:44 PM
Uh Prolly not, If ya dont agree much with Dean then Ya wont agree much with me either, We kinda cut from the same cloth :cool:

Please reread line two of my last post.

And I did agree with Dean once, though I cannot remember teh context as I smoke a lot of weed.

Radar's Left Hand
2/18/2011, 01:55 PM

It already is. We had a training event with my job a few months ago and the black gentleman shared his view that "African American" doesn't make sense to him. He asked how many of us are "Scottish Americans" or "German Americans". He was bothered that most or all of us would be "Americans" while he would have a designation. He is hoping that term goes away forever.

He also said that "black" is not offensive as "white" shouldn't be. It's the best description to give about someone. Much like "Mexican" isn't offensive, "black" shouldn't be.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:58 PM
Please reread line two of my last post.

And I did agree with Dean once, though I cannot remember teh context as I smoke a lot of weed.

I see weed hopper:D

yermom
2/18/2011, 03:41 PM
It already is. We had a training event with my job a few months ago and the black gentleman shared his view that "African American" doesn't make sense to him. He asked how many of us are "Scottish Americans" or "German Americans". He was bothered that most or all of us would be "Americans" while he would have a designation. He is hoping that term goes away forever.

He also said that "black" is not offensive as "white" shouldn't be. It's the best description to give about someone. Much like "Mexican" isn't offensive, "black" shouldn't be.

as long as your "Mexican" is Mexican. Columbians don't like being called Mexican

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 04:01 PM
Brown, then.

to me, all that i've seen, called black, brown, yellow or red are different shades of brown. includes lots of whites.

jkjsooner
2/18/2011, 04:08 PM
I think I've heard of black folk from Haiti and other foreign countries referred to as "African Americans" by journalists earnestly trying to be politically correct. LOL.

Remember "people of color"? Sounds like an insulting term to me. Is the term "people of color" still used?

Perhaps it's the generic term for anyone not white. "Of color". Sounds to me like an extension of the old term "colored people".

Wouldn't black be "people of no color"?

If I were black, I might be offended by the use of the term "black" simply becuase I've never seen a guy who was legitimately black. They're all shades of brown. But, anyway, I guess we already have "brown people" so they're now called "black people." As long as they're good with it then so am I.

On a slightly more serious note, I don't mind people changing how they're wanting to be called but they need to understand that not everyone can keep up with the term of the day. In addition not everyone within the group prefers the newer terms so when correcting someone they really need to be polite and assume good intentions. Too many people are out looking for ways to get offended or be confrontational.

yermom
2/18/2011, 04:09 PM
it's pigment, not light ;)

3rdgensooner
2/18/2011, 04:16 PM
This is all so complicated!!!!!

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 04:16 PM
If you had a choice of color, which one would you be, my brother?

RIP Curtis.

StoopTroup
2/18/2011, 04:54 PM
Honk this.

Jammin'
2/18/2011, 05:00 PM
While growing up, I knew a man in Louisiana, he never called me by my name. He said "boy do this and boy do that". But I never once complained, I knew he had a good heart. But he just didn't understand that I needed to be treated just like any other man.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:11 PM
Well it's hard to do that if you're a boy...

DIB
2/18/2011, 05:14 PM
While growing up, I knew a man in Louisiana, he never called me by my name. He said "boy do this and boy do that". But I never once complained, I knew he had a good heart. But he just didn't understand that I needed to be treated just like any other man.

That would make a good song

opksooner
2/18/2011, 05:48 PM
True story: I was sittin' around, shootin' the breeze, with some black guys in their place of business. I was the only white guy there. Congenial conversation. One of them said something inocuous to me, referring to me as "boy".

I replied: [feigning indignation] "Hey...I'm gonna be 56 my next birthday. Wuffo you still callin' me boy?"

It flat cracked them all up.

stoopified
2/18/2011, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, you will never get me to say "African American." When I do presentations or have conversations I say "black" if I'm referring to negroes. If I'm referring to Obama, I say "caramel." Not taupe?