PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin teachers union members...

MamaMia
2/17/2011, 04:54 PM
...call in sick to protest.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/teachersactingout.jpg

Schools are closed in Madison, Wisconsin today after an estimated 1,000 teachers called in sick to protest Gov. Scott Walker's bid to limit unions' right to collective bargaining. Walker's proposal would limit unions' collective bargaining power to salary and force government workers to pay more for their benefits and pensions.

Madison Teachers Inc. union director John Matthews told the Wisconsin State Journal that the sickout is the first coordinated absence in Madison schools in 16 years. Teachers are asked to attend protests at the state capitol instead of going to school. Madison superintendent Dan Nerad told Channel 3000 that teachers who were absent will have to prove they were sick.

Nearly 800 Madison East High School students walked out of class yesterday to attend a rally attended by thousands against the proposal, the State Journal reported.

A Milwaukee district spokesman told local station TMJ4 there were no problems with absences in the city. It's still unclear if the governor's proposal will pass.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110216/us_yblog_thelookout/wisconsin-schools-closed-after-teachers-call-in-sick-in-protest

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20110217/WDH0101/102170523/1581&located=rss

badger
2/17/2011, 04:57 PM
I heard this was actually the second day that classes had to be called off in Madison because of this. It looks more and more like the governor is going to have to lay of 6,000 employees to meet the budget than to actually have everyone suffer a little to keep everyone's jobs.

I don't fault the employees for choosing that route. Tulsa employees chose that route last year in droves, from the non-sworn employees, to police. All of them chose layoffs over pay/benefit cuts too.

DIB
2/17/2011, 05:00 PM
I heard this was actually the second day that classes had to be called off in Madison because of this. It looks more and more like the governor is going to have to lay of 6,000 employees to meet the budget than to actually have everyone suffer a little to keep everyone's jobs.

I don't fault the employees for choosing that route. Tulsa employees chose that route last year in droves, from the non-sworn employees, to police. All of them chose layoffs over pay/benefit cuts too.

Not all. One group (I think it was the Fire Department) took reduced benefits to maintain jobs.

MR2-Sooner86
2/17/2011, 05:18 PM
I can't wait for the day unions die out. Some of the most spoiled bunch of unthankful jack-offs you'll meet. You guys had your time and it's over. Please go the way of the Dodo so we can move on.

badger
2/17/2011, 05:35 PM
Not all. One group (I think it was the Fire Department) took reduced benefits to maintain jobs.

That's why I didn't name them, silly :D

OUthunder
2/17/2011, 05:35 PM
I can't wait for the day unions die out. Some of the most spoiled bunch of unthankful jack-offs you'll meet. You guys had your time and it's over. Please go the way of the Dodo so we can move on.

Yep.

badger
2/17/2011, 05:38 PM
If they called in sick instead of using personal days (assuming there's even a difference anymore... oh wait, they're unionized, so probably for them, hehe) they should probably be disciplined for lying if they were out protesting.

This would actually be awesome in the face of layoffs, because then, perhaps, seniority wouldn't be the only thing dictating who gets let go.

NormanPride
2/17/2011, 05:41 PM
Mobsters.

47straight
2/17/2011, 05:44 PM
A friend who is a teacher in TX has been on a tear railing about Perry, conservatives, and republicans and the failed low-tax fiscal policy, and how they are all d-bags for not considering raising taxes.

Then, last night, he openly mocks a fellow teacher who suggested that if all the teachers took a 3% pay cut, they could help avoid so many layoffs. Buddy says - "I NEED that 3%!" and "That would only get us a tenth of the way there" and "You suck at math!"

That a 3% tax increase is no different than a pay cut for him never crossed his mind. Neither did the hypocrisy of blasting others for being greedy when he himself doesn't want to take a hit to save the teachers.

NormanPride
2/17/2011, 05:45 PM
Does this person drive a prius?

badger
2/17/2011, 06:18 PM
A friend who is a teacher in TX has been on a tear railing about Perry, conservatives, and republicans and the failed low-tax fiscal policy, and how they are all d-bags for not considering raising taxes.

Then, last night, he openly mocks a fellow teacher who suggested that if all the teachers took a 3% pay cut, they could help avoid so many layoffs. Buddy says - "I NEED that 3%!" and "That would only get us a tenth of the way there" and "You suck at math!"

That a 3% tax increase is no different than a pay cut for him never crossed his mind. Neither did the hypocrisy of blasting others for being greedy when he himself doesn't want to take a hit to save the teachers.
I am strangely reminded of this cartoon I saw on 4chan when I read this.

Panel 1:
First guy: I believe there is life on Mars.
Second guy: Why do you say that?
First: It just makes sense to me!
Second guy: Fair enough!

Panel 2:
First: I believe in God.
Second: Why do you say that?
First: It just makes sense to me!
Second: STOP FORCING YOUR RELIGION ON ME! YOU'RE AN IDIOT! DO YOU ALSO BELIEVE IN THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER? YOU'RE A RELIGIOUS ZEALOT! etc etc

It just amazes me that when same principles can apply to hot button issues that they can trigger people to suddenly act and respond far differently.

In any event, it's always easy to tell others how their money should be spent, so long as you keep your paws off mine :P

Breadburner
2/17/2011, 06:25 PM
****ing fire them all and hire new ones.....

delhalew
2/17/2011, 06:26 PM
Chickens.Home.Roost.

soonercoop1
2/17/2011, 07:42 PM

^This!

delhalew
2/17/2011, 08:06 PM
^This!

Lol.Tenure.

cccasooner2
2/17/2011, 08:24 PM
I would love to have a cell phone recording the revelling of the missing democrats. Gin is good.

cccasooner2
2/17/2011, 08:35 PM

It never crossed my mind, 100-100x.03=97, 100+.03=103, 97<103. You should work for the government.

KABOOKIE
2/17/2011, 08:58 PM
That a 3% tax increase is no different than a pay cut for him never crossed his mind.

It never crossed my mind, 100-100x.03=97, 100+.03=103, 97<103. You should work for the government.

100-100x.03 = 97 via tax increase.
100-100x.03 = 97 via pay cut.

97 = 97.

Oh and 100+.03 = 100.03 you dolt.

You should work for the teacher's union.

Mongo
2/17/2011, 09:01 PM

97 = 97.

When did you turn all chinese math smart?

Turd_Ferguson
2/17/2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by KABOOKIE

97 = 97.

SKANG!!

KABOOKIE
2/17/2011, 09:08 PM
When did you turn all chinese math smart?

What's that supposed to mean? You think I have slant eyes and a tiny penis?

Mongo
2/17/2011, 09:10 PM
What's that supposed to mean? You think I have slant eyes and a tiny penis?

whatever sideways penis.

SunnySooner
2/17/2011, 09:36 PM

Hey, it worked for Reagan and the air traffic controllers!!!:D :D :D

I've never understood why teachers needed a union. They're professionals, right? We don't have a doctor's union, or an attorney's union, or an MBA's union, an IT peeps union...they're not dockworkers. No one's working a bajillion degree steel furnace here. Dumb.

soonercruiser
2/17/2011, 09:59 PM

This type of news simply enforces my opinion of teacher union types!
By prefering layoffs, they are admitting that "THEY" won't give up a little to save "others" jobs. SELFISH! SELF-CENTERED BABIES!
But, if they personally get laid off, I'm sure they will squeel like little piggies!

soonercruiser
2/17/2011, 10:00 PM
Chickens.Home.Roost.

Exactly my statement yesterday!

soonercruiser
2/17/2011, 10:04 PM

I've never understood why teachers needed a union. They're professionals, right? We don't have a doctor's union, or an attorney's union, or an MBA's union, an IT peeps union...they're not dockworkers. No one's working a bajillion degree steel furnace here. Dumb.

"Professional" here!
No retired military cost of living increase in 3 years.
No raise as college employee in 3 years!
I feel lucky to just have a good job.
(And, not have to suck on Profit's tit!)
;)

tcrb
2/17/2011, 10:10 PM
I just hope the Gov has enough balls to hold his ground and force their hand. I have all the respect in the world for the teaching profession, but their jobs are no more difficult or challenging than 90% of the rest of us who have to work 365 days a year, deal with surly, demanding clients, drive in rush hour traffic, work through our lunch periods and breaks.....and we pay for our own health and retirement benefits. It's not like they are risking their lives like law enforcement and FD. They have placed themselves on a pedestal that they are not deserving of and need to come back to reality with the rest of us.

Sooner_Havok
2/17/2011, 10:57 PM
I say we get rid of the public education system all together. If parents want their kids to grow up and not be blathering idiots, it should be on them to teach their seed. I have no kids, never plan on having the little pests either, yet I have to pay taxes into the system to subsidize your brats education? WTF? It was said earlier, teaching isn't hard, let the parents do it! Get big government out of our education!

delhalew
2/17/2011, 11:02 PM
I say we get rid of the public education system all together. If parents want their kids to grow up and not be blathering idiots, it should be on them to teach their seed. I have no kids, never plan on having the little pests either, yet I have to pay taxes into the system to subsidize your brats education? WTF? It was said earlier, teaching isn't hard, let the parents do it! Get big government out of our education!

I agree. You should not have to pay for the education of my children.

Sooner_Havok
2/17/2011, 11:10 PM
I agree. You should not have to pay for the education of my children.

Thank you! Now all we need is to close down every public school in America and get the government out of the business of educating and indoctrinating the youth of this country, and put the reins back into the hands of the parents! Let the parents pay for the full cost of their education (And not a penny more! If some parents can afford to educate their kids, and others can't, tough sh*t!). If a parent doesn't think his or her child needs an education, good for them!

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/17/2011, 11:14 PM
(And not a penny more! If some parents can afford to educate their kids, and others can't, tough sh*t!). If a parent doesn't think his or her child needs an education, good for them!
http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/3907438/cant-tell-if-youre-a-troll-or-just-very-stupid.jpg

Canyonero
2/17/2011, 11:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/canyonero/TheWorldNeedsDitchDiggersToo.jpg

delhalew
2/17/2011, 11:45 PM
He's not a troll. He's a genius. Trust me, there would be charitable houses of education for low income families, but they would be private.

As soon as the federal government is removed from education and parents are free to choose their child's education, the sooner we see a wide variety of options suites to varying preferences.

Most importantly, one less federal bureaucracy sucking us dry. Rinse. Repeat.

MR2-Sooner86
2/18/2011, 12:13 AM
As I heard not too long ago, what people call "the Greatest Generation," their education, on average, wasn't above the 8th grade.

MamaMia
2/18/2011, 01:37 AM
^This! Isn't that what the F.A.A. did to the Air Traffic Controllers? I vaguely remember it, because I was so young at the time. :confused:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/18/2011, 02:01 AM

I've never understood why teachers needed a union. They're professionals, right? We don't have a doctor's union, or an attorney's union, or an MBA's union, an IT peeps union...they're not dockworkers. No one's working a bajillion degree steel furnace here. Dumb.Unions are just reinforcements of why one takes a govt. job in the first place. Security, regardless of economic conditions.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/18/2011, 02:05 AM
Some reporter caught some of the democrat legislators who had hidden out in Illinois to prevent a vote from being taken in Madison, WI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxKk3DSW6Sk&feature=player_embedded

ouwino
2/18/2011, 06:40 AM
does anyone on here remember what ronald reagan did when the air traffic controllers went on strike? he basically said, public servants should not go on strike against the taxpayers. he said it is wrong. he then gave them a short amount of time to get back on the job. when they didnt, they were all fired. end of saga.

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 10:41 AM
does anyone on here remember what ronald reagan did when the air traffic controllers went on strike? he basically said, public servants should not go on strike against the taxpayers. he said it is wrong. he then gave them a short amount of time to get back on the job. when they didnt, they were all fired. end of saga.

if i remember i rite (good chance i don't)

Reagan told them that if they struck, they'd get fired. they didn't believe
him. they lost their jobs, & there was no way they were ever going to
get another job with the same pay. they screwed themselves.

badger
2/18/2011, 11:22 AM
Some reporter caught some of the democrat legislators who had hidden out in Illinois to prevent a vote from being taken in Madison, WI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxKk3DSW6Sk&feature=player_embedded

That video is funny, not because they're democrats who are hiding out, but because when I listen to them, i'm listening to the voices of my homeland :D

Wis-cahn-sin :P

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 11:28 AM
That video is funny, not because they're democrats who are hiding out, but because when I listen to them, i'm listening to the voices of my homeland :D

Wis-cahn-sin :P

lotsa (most) comments on this board are from my "homeland".
:D

badger
2/18/2011, 11:45 AM
People tell me that when I'm really tired or had a sip of alcohol (never any more, because two sips will cause me to fall asleep) that I slip into my northern dialect. Other than that, I think I sound pretty normal... till I return home and am surrounded by people donchaknowin' and just ornoin' or even adding eh to everything like they're yoopers or something :P

my guess is that they're on a third day of striking...whoops, i mean they're on a third sick day right now :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 11:48 AM
my nephew is a perfessor @ uwsp. wonder if college guys are on strike.

texaspokieokie
2/19/2011, 08:24 AM
my nephew is a perfessor @ uwsp. wonder if college guys are on strike.

or are sick.
yep, fraid so.
he & his Dad (my bro-in-law) don't agree. Bro-in-law is dumb, he tries to infuse "logic" into the discussion.
:O