PDA

View Full Version : CBS complicit in attack coverup of their own reporter?

booomer
2/17/2011, 02:50 PM
“[60 Minutes] correspondent Lara Logan was repeatedly sexually assaulted by thugs yelling, ‘Jew! Jew!’ as she covered the chaotic fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo’s main square Friday.”

Powerful reporting on an important story. Two problems: It didn’t run until yesterday, and CBS didn’t run it. The quote is from the New York Post. And it was The Wall Street Journal that reported “the separation and assault lasted roughly 20 to 30 minutes.”

The rest of the story: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1317384

delhalew
2/17/2011, 03:02 PM
This is the lady who was assaulted by 200 men? ****ing disgusting.

How about the NYU professor who thought it was just hilarious...

SoCaliSooner
2/17/2011, 03:08 PM
200 guys in only 20-30 minutes? Something doesn't sound right....

jkjsooner
2/17/2011, 03:09 PM
Coverup is a strong word. I think they chose not to run the story out of privacy concerns for their correspondent. That definitely is their prerogative.

If you were a reporter and your child or wife was sexually assaulted, would you feel an obligation to report this assault in your local newspaper. If you decided to protect your loved one's privacy would that be a "coverup"?

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:14 PM
If she were a tree, this thread would already be up to 10 pages. She's merely a human, so who gives a **** about her?

delhalew
2/17/2011, 03:16 PM
Coverup is a strong word. I think they chose not to run the story out of privacy concerns for their correspondent. That definitely is their prerogative.

If you were a reporter and your child or wife was sexually assaulted, would you feel an obligation to report this assault in your local newspaper. If you decided to protect your loved one's privacy would that be a "coverup"?

You mean while you and I are watching footage of the square, celebrating for those fine young revolutionaries, this woman is undergoing one of the most hateful crimes I ever heard of, and that is not news?

BTW here is this *******
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/02/16/how-could-nir-rosen-not-have-known-his-lara-logan-tweets-crossed/

delhalew
2/17/2011, 03:18 PM

Tasteful.

MR2-Sooner86
2/17/2011, 03:18 PM
Of course they didn't run it. The Egyptian protest are nothing but peaceful, freedom loving Muslims. Can't ruin that image now can we?

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:23 PM
Well it ain't news cause those POS arabs do it every damned day.

delhalew
2/17/2011, 03:26 PM
If she were a tree, this thread would already be up to 10 pages. She's merely a human, so who gives a **** about her?

It's a good thing I am not one of the brave fellows fighting on that part of the world. The way they treat women, I would end up court marshalled for having a castration party...

MR2-Sooner86
2/17/2011, 03:30 PM
Seriously though, is anybody surprised? I mean just look at the people in that part of the world.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157/1268432519_d6fca24958.jpg

KantoSooner
2/17/2011, 03:35 PM
It certainly does temper the view point that 'The Arab Street' has somehow had an awakening and that Jeffersonian democracy is going to flower by summertime.

On the other hand, she was rescued by Egyptian soldiers and a group of Egyptian women. So, I guess there's some hope.

The root cause of the aggression is, of course a religion that separates the sexes and promotes both a virgin/slut view of women along with an equally degrading view of men as creatures unable to control their baser impulses. The problem is Islam.

3rdgensooner
2/17/2011, 03:40 PM
So the suggestion is that the only possible reason this story could have been slow to come to the forefront is some political conspiracy theory?

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:41 PM
no, it's because trees are dying dammit. Keep up.

delhalew
2/17/2011, 03:42 PM
It certainly does temper the view point that 'The Arab Street' has somehow had an awakening and that Jeffersonian democracy is going to flower by summertime.

On the other hand, she was rescued by Egyptian soldiers and a group of Egyptian women. So, I guess there's some hope.

The root cause of the aggression is, of course a religion that separates the sexes and promotes both a virgin/slut view of women along with an equally degrading view of men as creatures unable to control their baser impulses. The problem is Islam.

The fastest growing religion on earth...yippee.

What was that poll of Egyptians? Some ludicrous majority of Muslims said converts to Christianity to be killed.

jkjsooner
2/17/2011, 03:46 PM
You mean while you and I are watching footage of the square, celebrating for those fine young revolutionaries, this woman is undergoing one of the most hateful crimes I ever heard of, and that is not news?

[/url]

I'm not saying it's not news. I'm saying CBS has a right to protect their own in privacy matters. If others find out about it then they'll report it.

I don't care what the situation, if you worked for a newspaper and a journalist that you were close to was sexually attacked, you would weigh her request for privacy when deciding whether to release that information.

Has it not crossed your mind that there were privacy concerns here and not some huge conspiracy?

OULenexaman
2/17/2011, 03:47 PM
I saw this story yesterday on CNN.....it's gone now and the trees have it.

DIB
2/17/2011, 03:48 PM
It is obvious that CBS paid those men to rape her, because she was using too much PTO.

badger
2/17/2011, 03:48 PM
It is unfortunate that in the quest to prove that women are equals with men that they discover hardships that men usually don't have to face in the same professions.

I don't know if she was raped or sexually assaulted in a different manner, but I wonder if 60 minutes was self-serving in not reporting the assault, or if they were honoring the wishes of the reported to not disclose the assault. Either way, there's no way other media would sit on the story.

sperry
2/17/2011, 03:58 PM
Well it ain't news cause those POS arabs do it every damned day.

You ought to donate some money to the defense fund of that poor persecuted Alabama gentleman.

3rdgensooner
2/17/2011, 04:01 PM
So it happened Friday and I first heard about it Tues. So she was in the hospital and then trying to get out of the country, that is valid enough reason to wait until she's safely with her family to report anything.

AlboSooner
2/17/2011, 04:54 PM
This is quite disturbing. The reports say she was attacked and sexually assaulted. Sexually assaulted can mean anything from abusive words, to groping, all the way to the despicable act of rape.

I don't believe in the conspiracy that the media is keeping this quit in order not to portray the demonstrators in a bad light. I believe (with sadness) that she was raped, and her colleagues are keeping this quiet to preserve her dignity and privacy.

What a sad ordeal

delhalew
2/17/2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not saying it's not news. I'm saying CBS has a right to protect their own in privacy matters. If others find out about it then they'll report it.

I don't care what the situation, if you worked for a newspaper and a journalist that you were close to was sexually attacked, you would weigh her request for privacy when deciding whether to release that information.

Has it not crossed your mind that there were privacy concerns here and not some huge conspiracy?

Has it not crossed your mind that she may not want to suffer in silence while the crowd in Egypt is mischaracterized.

3rdgensooner
2/17/2011, 05:18 PM
Has it not crossed your mind that she may not want to suffer in silence while the crowd in Egypt is mischaracterized.Are the people that are questioning the reporting timeframe suggesting they know her preferences?

delhalew
2/17/2011, 05:21 PM
Are the people that are questioning the reporting timeframe suggesting they know her preferences?

As far as I am concerned, the opposite.

delhalew
2/17/2011, 05:24 PM
Although...she is a reporter. The odds are high that a story she paid dearly for is very important to her.

KantoSooner
2/17/2011, 05:26 PM
The fastest growing religion on earth...yippee.

What was that poll of Egyptians? Some ludicrous majority of Muslims said converts to Christianity to be killed.

Apostasy laws are quite common in the Islamic world. Anyone can convert to Islam and in many countries to do so entitles you to cash, houses, cars, etc. as well as preferment for government contracts and the like. You simply can't go the other way without severe penalty.
Christianity flirted with similar laws but really has not had another inclusive religious neighbor to force the issue. You can't, for instance, convert to Judaism just because you want to. So most of the loss-of-flock issues in Christianity were generated by movement between sects. And we had gaggles of wars over that, replete with lots of murder, imprisonment, etc.

Religions have trouble with rejection because they don't really value or respect the individual. Islam is particularly egregious in this regard.

cccasooner2
2/17/2011, 06:18 PM

Even a chain "Behind the Green Door" does not arithmetically make sense. :D

SoCaliSooner
2/17/2011, 06:38 PM
Although...she is a reporter. The odds are high that a story she paid dearly for is very important to her.
It's also possible she may not have been actually raped but the connotation is there, and she can be regaled as a true champion to other women while CBS gets tremendous exposure.

It wouldn't be the first time CBS manipulated a story for their benefit...

Dan Rather, I am looking at you.