PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Marcus Dupree ?

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 02:33 PM
Does everyone forgive Marcus for leaving OU and some of the things he said and has said and done since ? He is an ex OU player but should he be one of the OU family ? Should he be accepted as such and welcomed ?

Soonerwake
2/17/2011, 02:41 PM
Yes. Forgive and forget..

Crimson Kid
2/17/2011, 02:41 PM
Once a sooner allways a sooner. I don't have to forgive him for anything. He did nothing personal to me or my loved ones.

He was a kid that made mistakes. we all do.

Boomer.....
2/17/2011, 02:43 PM
He made mistakes but was heavily influenced by people steering him the wrong way. Got to forgive him.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 02:46 PM
Marcus is a facebook aquaintance of mine I'm not saying friend because I don't know Marcus but I am keeping up with what he has been saying on FB and I'll post some of that here after I get some opinions first because I have sorta mixed feelings but I say yeah I hope he is brought into the OU family don't think it will hurt anything and maybe bury the hatchet although I don't agree with some of the things he is saying now.. Barry has forgiven Marcus a long time ago I'm just not sure Marcus has taken ANY of the blame for what occurred.

SoonerPride
2/17/2011, 02:54 PM
He did a local car commercial that I saw (or heard?) last week.
Really?
Marcus Dupree seems like he is trying to cash in on his former association with the University of Oklahoma.
I don't wish him ill, but I don't exactly welcome him with open arms either. He should just stay away.
He made a choice to abandon the school. Perhaps he was influenced by those around him. That's life. He made those choices. He still seems like an opportunist sponging off the remnants of Sooner glory IMHO.

OUthunder
2/17/2011, 03:00 PM
Kids make mistakes. Adults take advantage of kids. Saw Dupree on a car commercial the other evening, good for him. Hope he gets a little back of what he lost by trusting people that he shouldn't of.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Pride, I am getting somewhat the same feeling about him trying to cash in on being a former OU player.. I was hesitant to say what you just said but it's my feeling as well. As I said I'll post some of the stuff he said on FB here later I sorta had an argument with him about Coach Switzer and didn't feel like he accepts any blame because he was so young he thinks he should be blameless.. Anyway, I still think maybe it would be best to accept him as a Sooner family member and bury the hatchet but at this point I'm not 100% sure..

tator
2/17/2011, 03:08 PM
I'm sure he is deeply concerned with what we think about him.

SoCaliSooner
2/17/2011, 03:10 PM
I wonder if all these same people heaping praise on Dupree feel the same about Bomar?

tator
2/17/2011, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't you say those are two different situations?

SoCaliSooner
2/17/2011, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't you say those are two different situations?

Two different times...yes. Situations, not really. Dupree and his people had their hand out, like Bomar. Both were highly recruited and stars. Both put their personal dislike for their coaches before the team.

Kids make mistakes...

fossil
2/17/2011, 03:24 PM
Marcus is a facebook aquaintance of mine I'm not saying friend because I don't know Marcus but I am keeping up with what he has been saying on FB and I'll post some of that here after I get some opinions first because I have sorta mixed feelings but I say yeah I hope he is brought into the OU family don't think it will hurt anything and maybe bury the hatchet although I don't agree with some of the things he is saying now.. Barry has forgiven Marcus a long time ago I'm just not sure Marcus has taken ANY of the blame for what occurred.

:eek: Sheesh, I'll loan you a period if you'll use it somewhere.

tator
2/17/2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe I just have a simple opinion of them. In my mind, Bomar was caught accepting money from a booster and Dupree bailed on the team. Those feel like different situations, because they are different. I probably don't have much insight though.

tator
2/17/2011, 03:27 PM
And to answer the original question, I don't have any problem at all with Dupree making money in any legal way he sees fit. If there wasn't a market, he wouldn't be getting hired to make commercials. Is he taking advantage of his time at OU? Maybe, but I don't think its anything worth getting upset about.

fossil
I wonder if all these same people heaping praise on Dupree feel the same about Bomar?

:mad: The answer is NO!! Bomar was knucklehead!!!

Boomer.....

I have no ill will towards either. Bomar has said what he did was wrong and regrets it. You have to live with your mistakes and move on the best you can, and he did just that. Quinn, on the other hand, handled it like a tool.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 03:31 PM
Two different times...yes. Situations, not really. Dupree and his people had their hand out, like Bomar. Both were highly recruited and stars. Both put their personal dislike for their coaches before the team.

Kids make mistakes...

Bomar while at OU NEVER showed anything close to what Dupree showed.. My goodness Dupree was a SUPERSTAR talent wise and on the field as a freshman. You never heard anyone complain about Dupree's on the field production except that he would have done even better in the bowl game had he been in shape but even then the guy rushed for 245 yds. on 19 carries against the nations # 1 defense {Allowing only 68 yds a game} against the rush.. Barry knew had Marcus been in shape he would have rushed for 350 or 400 yds. but he probably should have kept that knowlege to himself.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 03:34 PM

I won't use it so don't bother

Wishboned
2/17/2011, 03:48 PM
I hold no ill will towards either Bomar or Marcus Dupree. I've got the feeling that what Marcus did eats away at him every day of his life. He squandered the opportunity of a lifetime. Regrets are a terrible thing.

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 03:54 PM
No ill will towards Marcus but that 30 for 30 film was a hatchet piece on OU/Switzer. Then, Buzz Bissenger wrote that dumbass article on Daily Beast. I'm kinda ready for people to forget about it again.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 04:03 PM
REMOVED BECAUSE OF ONE JERK !!!

dwarthog
2/17/2011, 04:03 PM
Once a sooner allways a sooner. I don't have to forgive him for anything. He did nothing personal to me or my loved ones.

He was a kid that made mistakes. we all do.

Well said.

Ultimately, he is the one who was impacted the most by his decisions.

Great thing for OU fans, was getting to see him do his stuff, even it only for a short time.

He was a very special athlete.

NorCal Sooner
2/17/2011, 04:08 PM
Marcus seems like a pretty laid back guy. Before I watched the 30 for 30 I thought he might be bitter, or an alcoholic, but he seems to have come through things pretty well. He really was a very young 18 year old kid when he was at OU. Some kids do make mistakes. I liked him much more after the 30 for 30 came out, and I accept him as part of the OU family. More power to him.....

NorCal Sooner
2/17/2011, 04:08 PM
Well said.

Ultimately, he is the one who was impacted the most by his decisions.

Great thing for OU fans, was getting to see him do his stuff, even it only for a short time.

He was a very special athlete.

yes!

WichitaSooner
2/17/2011, 04:10 PM
No ill will towards Marcus but that 30 for 30 film was a hatchet piece on OU/Switzer. Then, Buzz Bissenger wrote that dumbass article on Daily Beast. I'm kinda ready for people to forget about it again.

Did you watch the same film I did???? lol. That film QUITE CLEARLY showed the situation the OU coaches were in because of Marcus's talent AND even more clearly showed who the true villians were in the life of Marcus... and it wasn't anyone connected with OU.

That film made it clear that Marcus made mistakes, listened to the wrong people, and was taken advantage of... by the reverend, NOT OU or Switzer.

The film just made me sad to think about what could of been... for Marcus and OU. But, in my opinion, OU came off looking just fine in the film.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 04:18 PM
Did you watch the same film I did???? lol. That film QUITE CLEARLY showed the situation the OU coaches were in because of Marcus's talent AND even more clearly showed who the true villians were in the life of Marcus... and it wasn't anyone connected with OU.

That film made it clear that Marcus made mistakes, listened to the wrong people, and was taken advantage of... by the reverend, NOT OU or Switzer.

The film just made me sad to think about what could of been... for Marcus and OU. But, in my opinion, OU came off looking just fine in the film.

I thought they were a little harsh on Barry and our coaching staff and i enjoyed the show but tell me ? Was there ANY blame put on Marcus ? No, It was everyone elses fault.. That's just wrong..

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 04:19 PM

It brought out the worst in OU jealousy/hatred. After it came out there were about a dozen copy cat articles bashing Switzer including the Bissenger piece I mentioned. There's so much jealousy regarding the success Switzer had and the teams we ran roughshod over in the 70's and 80's that a film like that is just redmeat to people who hate OU.

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 04:23 PM
It brought out the worst in OU jealousy/hatred. After it came out there were about a dozen copy cat articles bashing Switzer including the Bissenger piece I mentioned. There's so much jealousy regarding the success Switzer had and the teams we ran roughshod over in the 70's and 80's that a film like that is just redmeat to people who hate OU.

BINGO !!!

soonersam
2/17/2011, 04:24 PM
Stoops is going to need a Butler in the new mansion... perfect

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 04:25 PM
Stoops is going to need a Butler in the new mansion... perfect

Your gonna get blasted for that one.. :eek: :D

Partial Qualifier
2/17/2011, 04:36 PM
Does everyone forgive Marcus for leaving OU and some of the things he said and has said and done since ? He is an ex OU player but should he be one of the OU family ? Should he be accepted as such and welcomed ?

He gave us thrilling memories. He was a vulnerable kid with ungodly talent -- so much talent the coaches didn't know how to handle his situation. They admittedly mishandled Marcus. When coaches look back and say "yeah, we mishandled that whole situation" I cut the 17 year old kid slack for supposedly not being a practice maniac.

He played with all his heart. Got a serious concussion and even though he could barely walk and could not speak after that game, the coaches still allowed a bunch of ignorant media dildos to stick TV cameras in his face and barrage him questions after the game.

To make matters worse, He got seriously bad advice from his only father figure.

So hell yeah Marcus should be welcomed as much or more than any other former player. And cash in all you can, Marcus! Cash the **** in all you can.

And that facebook convo posted above is facepalm-worthy

stoopified
2/17/2011, 04:41 PM
Million dollar talent,FIVE cent head.

WichitaSooner
2/17/2011, 04:56 PM

So, the film was bad because it brought out the worst in people that already hated Switzer and OU?!?!?! You are seriously bringing that argument? LOL

That may be people using something good to fuel their bad agenda, but it doesn't reflect on the original piece. And it's absolutely idiotic to try and say it does.

Now you may be one of those insane fan that only wants to hear and believe great things about OU.... and anything else is bad or false... That's what your statements lead me to believe of you.

But, Switzer did some bad things... so did Marcus... so did a lot of Sooners... But, to admit that, forgive them, and still love them and your school makes you a better fan than the nazi-istic approach you seem to be going for now.

But hey, to each his own.

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 04:58 PM
So, the film was bad because it brought out the worst in people that already hated Switzer and OU?!?!?! You are seriously bringing that argument? LOL

That may be people using something good to fuel their bad agenda, but it doesn't reflect on the original piece. And it's absolutely idiotic to try and say it does.

Now you may be one of those insane fan that only wants to hear and believe great things about OU.... and anything else is bad or false... That's what your statements lead me to believe of you.

But, Switzer did some bad things... so did Marcus... so did a lot of Sooners... But, to admit that, forgive them, and still love them and your school makes you a better fan than the nazi-istic approach you seem to be going for now.

But hey, to each his own.

Jeez. Get a grip dude.

AlboSooner
2/17/2011, 05:06 PM
Kids make mistakes...

I agree. I don't feel like Bomar wronged me personally, but I don't have any negative wishes towards him, and he's welcome to come to the games and all that.

WichitaSooner
2/17/2011, 05:27 PM
Jeez. Get a grip dude.

lol... I guess that's what I would say if I were you right now too...

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 06:06 PM
He gave us thrilling memories. He was a vulnerable kid with ungodly talent -- so much talent the coaches didn't know how to handle his situation. They admittedly mishandled Marcus. When coaches look back and say "yeah, we mishandled that whole situation" I cut the 17 year old kid slack for supposedly not being a practice maniac.

He played with all his heart. Got a serious concussion and even though he could barely walk and could not speak after that game, the coaches still allowed a bunch of ignorant media dildos to stick TV cameras in his face and barrage him questions after the game.

To make matters worse, He got seriously bad advice from his only father figure.

So hell yeah Marcus should be welcomed as much or more than any other former player. And cash in all you can, Marcus! Cash the **** in all you can.

And that facebook convo posted above is facepalm-worthy
And your a damn jerk !

badger
2/17/2011, 06:26 PM
I am not sure the Bomar and Dupree situations are similar enough that they can be compared. Bomar considers himself a BearKat now, whereas Marcus still considers himself a Sooner. That's good enough for me to not really care where Rhett goes from here on out... but Marcus, I am glad that he is reconnecting with the state because I'm sure autograph sessions (not to mention hugs from old ladies and pictures with kids) is more fun than truck driving. Then again, I've never driven a truck. :)

BajaOklahoma
2/17/2011, 06:41 PM
I sat there in the stands and watched the whole mess unfold.
And I only believe half of what I read as people tend to remember things in a light that is favorable to them.

He left. I don't consider him a Sooner based on what he did to his teammates and the fans.
Aikman lost his right to be a Sooner based on things I've heard him say - not what others have told me.

Jason
2/17/2011, 06:46 PM

Kids make mistakes...
One abandoned the team. The other lied to his coach, and for that was kicked off the team. One has yet to accept any of the blame. The other has admitted he was wrong, and taken responsibility for his actions. So, yes. They are very different.

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 06:47 PM
I sat there in the stands and watched the whole mess unfold.
And I only believe half of what I read as people tend to remember things in a light that is favorable to them.

He left. I don't consider him a Sooner based on what he did to his teammates and the fans.
Aikman lost his right to be a Sooner based on things I've heard him say - not what others have told me.

What's Troy said about OU? I know he tried to get Switzer fired at Dallas.

SoCaliSooner
2/17/2011, 06:49 PM
One abandoned the team. The other lied to his coach, and for that was kicked off the team. One has yet to accept any of the blame. The other has admitted he was wrong, and taken responsibility for his actions. So, yes. They are very different.

I saw Bomar on an ESPN special when he was at Sam Houston acknowledging he screwed up and blaming himself. At least it didn't take him 25 years to do it.

texaspokieokie
2/17/2011, 06:56 PM

i don't think anybody wants to borrow a "period".

boomermagic
2/17/2011, 06:58 PM
Yes, Bomar did accept blame for what he did wrong. I have honestly sorta been in the middle of the road on this I see why he left although it was a mistake and he does at least admit that.. I guess what I didn't like was it seemed he was blaming Barry more than Fairley or himself but I guess it doesn't really matter..

I know he is trying to cash in now and something about that is bothering me a little but at the same time I guess I really can't blame him for that.. I know he was the best I have ever seen and I've seen some good ones.. Maybe he deserves to cash in I don't know..

70sooner
2/17/2011, 07:09 PM
come on, even Switzer admitted if he had to do it all over, he would have done things differently in regards to Dupree. I think Marcus has paid his dues and I'm glad he's come back to the OU family. Doesn't bother me a bit....but I don't let what 18-21 year old kids who play college sports do, bother me, really.

Bomar screwed up and has admitted as much, which I think is admirable. He also never blamed anybody but himself

J D Quinn, on the other hand, has never expressed any regrets, as far as I know, and blamed everybody but himself.

EatLeadCommie
2/17/2011, 09:36 PM
I think the passage of time and the recent documentary that showed exactly what was going on with him (and how he was being used) has softened attitudes toward Marcus, and understandably so.

Soonerson1975
2/17/2011, 09:43 PM
I have nothing against Marcus, but it seems like he's using his latest fame for a paycheck. Let's see what he's doing at this time next year.

Salt City Sooner
2/17/2011, 09:50 PM
What's Troy said about OU? I know he tried to get Switzer fired at Dallas.
About 4-5 years ago he was doing a game & I heard him point blank say (& to be fair, it wasn't in a malicious or vengeful tone, but more along the lines of how'd we get on this subject) when he was asked about the upcoming RRS & who he was pulling for, "Well, I live in Texas, so I guess I'm rooting for Texas."

I had to rewind the DVR just to make sure I'd heard it correctly. Unfortunately, I had.

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 09:54 PM
About 4-5 years ago he was doing a game & I heard him point blank say (& to be fair, it wasn't in a malicious or vengeful tone, but more along the lines of how'd we get on this subject) when he was asked about the upcoming RRS & who he was pulling for, "Well, I live in Texas, so I guess I'm rooting for Texas."

I had to rewind the DVR just to make sure I'd heard it correctly. Unfortunately, I had.

That's disappointing. You would think he'd say OU because of his history there, just to be polite. If nothing else just don't say anything.

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2011, 10:02 PM
I saw Bomar on an ESPN special when he was at Sam Houston acknowledging he screwed up and blaming himself. At least it didn't take him 25 years to do it.

Better late than never, isnt it?

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2011, 10:04 PM
I have nothing against Marcus, but it seems like he's using his latest fame for a paycheck. Let's see what he's doing at this time next year.

So if you had any fame, you wouldn't try to cash in on it?

If so, I call bull****!

OUEngr1990
2/17/2011, 10:36 PM

Not really the same situation. Marcus Dupree chose to leave the program, Bomar was kicked off the team. Both left in disgrace imo, but Bomar did admit immediately that he made a mistake.

I am also an acquaintance of MD on facebook. Although the 30 for 30 program was fantastic, I do get a sense of MD cashing in on every dollar he can get from it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but does kinda leave a bad taste...

sooner94
2/17/2011, 11:18 PM
That's disappointing. You would think he'd say OU because of his history there, just to be polite. If nothing else just don't say anything.

Didn't Aikman mention Switzer and OU in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech? I think he even said Switzer was one of the all time great college coaches. Not defending him since I know he has made negative comments in the past.

Mike Stoops
2/17/2011, 11:26 PM
Didn't Aikman mention Switzer and OU in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech? I think he even said Switzer was one of the all time great college coaches. Not defending him since I know he has made negative comments in the past.

Not sure about that. I know they didn't get along in Dallas which I can kinda see from Troy's point of view. Barry didn't have any NFL experience but I remember hearing from the older fans that Barry really went out of his way to help Troy transfer to a good program after Jamielle became the starter. Maybe thay have patched things up. I know Troy has never embraced OU. I guess because he's technically a UCLA alum. I dunno.

Soonerson1975
2/17/2011, 11:41 PM
Personally, he was never a Sooner

Why wasn't he ever a Sooner in your mind?

OUthunder
2/17/2011, 11:43 PM
Why wasn't he ever a Sooner in your mind?

I thought I made that pretty clear in my post, lol.

Soonerson1975
2/17/2011, 11:45 PM
I thought I made that pretty clear in my post, lol.

Say what you will about Aikman, he has a lot of rings.

AlbqSooner
2/18/2011, 07:32 AM
Barry told the story in an interview about helping Aikman find a place to transfer after the emergence of Holieway. He said he looked at good passing programs around the country and called Donahue at UCLA because we would not be playing them during Aikman's eligibility.

The decision made by Dupree to leave OU was made with the influence of people who did not have his, or OU's best interests in mind. It was also made by a YOUNG man who was, at the time of the decision, recovering from a substantial concussion. I welcome his presence in the Sooner family. I do not begrudge him making money from his position at this time. If someone offers me a chance to be in their commercial advertising based on my 56 seasons as a Sooner fan, I will take it.

yermom
2/18/2011, 07:52 AM
who hasn't cashed in on being a Sooner?

so many people saw 30 for 30 and wanted to welcome him back, why wouldn't he try to mend that and make some $$$ in the process?

if you had the chance to fix the viewpoint that basically a whole state has had toward you for 25 years, wouldn't you?

Sooner_Tuf
2/18/2011, 11:52 AM
Marcus, Rhett, and Troy are all a part of Sooner history. Whether you like them or not us up to you.

All three of them were thrust into situations beyond their control. They all could have possibly handled things differently but remember how young they were at the time.

I don't have any hard feelings toward any of them and am grateful that they gave a OU a shot.

Aikman obviously went on to have a stellar career. He was upset with OU for some time and under the circumstances that was understandable. He seems to be over it now. Ever since Bradford chose to wear his number he has been back to being an OU Fan and has been at a few games.

ictsooner7
2/18/2011, 01:43 PM
Forgive him and get over it. As for trying to cash in on his association with OU, why not? He played here, was great here. More power to him if he can make a living off his association with us, he has it coming. Anyway Billy Sims encouraged him to do it. When my post college and college age kids talking up a young running back in college I tell them, he might be good, but he ain’t no Marcus Dupree.

Partial Qualifier
2/18/2011, 03:13 PM
And your a damn jerk !

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/icwhutudidtherep1.gif

Mad Dog Madsen
2/18/2011, 03:33 PM
Marcus Dupree is awesome.

Sooners78
2/18/2011, 03:48 PM

If true, that's very weak and disappointing.

Sooners78
2/18/2011, 03:54 PM
Dupree can cash in however he wants as long as it's legal. It's called the free market. A minority of fans won't like it, but most Sooner fans along with myself are ready to welcome him back.

He gave us a lot of thrills during 1982, and helped us win several games. Remember, we would NOT have won the Texas game without him.

boomermagic
2/18/2011, 04:01 PM
Forgive him and get over it. As for trying to cash in on his association with OU, why not? He played here, was great here. More power to him if he can make a living off his association with us, he has it coming. Anyway Billy Sims encouraged him to do it. When my post college and college age kids talking up a young running back in college I tell them, he might be good, but he ain’t no Marcus Dupree.

I agree and I also agree with your signature..

boomermagic
2/18/2011, 04:04 PM
Marcus, Rhett, and Troy are all a part of Sooner history. Whether you like them or not us up to you.

All three of them were thrust into situations beyond their control. They all could have possibly handled things differently but remember how young they were at the time.

I don't have any hard feelings toward any of them and am grateful that they gave a OU a shot.

Aikman obviously went on to have a stellar career. He was upset with OU for some time and under the circumstances that was understandable. He seems to be over it now. Ever since Bradford chose to wear his number he has been back to being an OU Fan and has been at a few games.

Just curious ? What OU games has Aikman attended in the last couple of years ? Last 10 for that matter ? I don't like Aikman..

Partial Qualifier
2/18/2011, 05:23 PM
Just curious ? What OU games has Aikman attended in the last couple of years ? Last 10 for that matter ? I don't like Aikman..

yeah I'd be surprised if Aikman attended any OU games on his own accord. I hadn't heard of this (until someone posted it in this thread)

and boomermagic, I wasn't trying to be a jerk but I see how it came off that way. My point was: With all the second-guessing Marcus has undoubtedly done himself (probably every single day of his life), he probably doesn't need one of us reminding him that he coulda or shoulda done something different. That's all.

OUthunder
2/18/2011, 05:45 PM
Say what you will about Aikman, he has a lot of rings.

Great football player, shiattay human being. I've met him twice, trust me he's a huge prick. One was in a business sense, the other at a golfing event for charity.

The guy thinks his $hit don't stink.

MyT Oklahoma
2/18/2011, 07:06 PM
Regarding Marcus if he's made peace with Switzer and his former teammates then that's good enough for me. I for one am glad he's still a Sooner no matter what happened 28 going on 29 years ago.

I Am Right
2/18/2011, 07:42 PM
Greed is a powerful thing.

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 08:35 PM
WE had this discussion when the Program aired. Marcus and the King admitted mistakes.
I welcome him back and see nothing wrong with him making a few bucks from all the attention

boomermagic
2/18/2011, 10:10 PM
yeah I'd be surprised if Aikman attended any OU games on his own accord. I hadn't heard of this (until someone posted it in this thread)

and boomermagic, I wasn't trying to be a jerk but I see how it came off that way. My point was: With all the second-guessing Marcus has undoubtedly done himself (probably every single day of his life), he probably doesn't need one of us reminding him that he coulda or shoulda done something different. That's all.

I understand.. It's cool..

BajaOklahoma
2/18/2011, 10:21 PM
Great football player, shiattay human being. I've met him twice, trust me he's a huge prick. One was in a business sense, the other at a golfing event for charity.

This x thousand.
Do not ever enter a business deal with him. Or turn your back on him.

boomermagic
2/18/2011, 10:44 PM

Your one of many who I have heard Or read say that.. I don't know him but don't like what i do know about him..

sooner94
2/18/2011, 10:51 PM
Or turn your back on him.

Yeah, there always were those rumors of him being gay/bisexual.;)

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2011, 10:08 AM
I still dont like him. He screwed the pooch and blames everyone else.

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 10:39 AM
Aikman or Dupree? I've lost track.

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2011, 11:17 AM
Pay 'tention, duflea.

oumartin
2/19/2011, 11:44 AM
If I had a chance to cash in I am sure I would be doing it.
I don't blame him.

I have no ill feelings toward Marcus nor do I toward Bomar anymore.

I've just never been an Aikman fan.

boomermagic
2/19/2011, 01:50 PM

I don't think you were ever on track.:rolleyes:

SoonerfanJKII
2/20/2011, 09:30 PM

Definitely agree. I work at an OU store, and when he came in for an autograph signing, he asked me to hold his phone so that he could show whoever the jerseys with his number we had made for him( he was using that new facetime or whatever its called). Im thinking im gonna be holding it for him for like 10 seconds, but he just goes on talking for another couple of minutes, while signing autographs. I finally made up an excuse, and gave it back to him, but if I hadn't I don't doubt that he would have let me stand there for however long he was on the phone. He also didn't pay any attention to the fans coming to get his autograph.
Also apparently he's trying to pull a Herschel Walker and join a wrestling league of some sort. Should be worth a laugh or two

OUEngr1990
2/20/2011, 09:57 PM
^^I think thunder was talking about Aikman, and you are talking about Dupree. We need to start a separate hate thread for Aikman, LOL

oudavid1
2/21/2011, 12:25 AM
he was a kid(i wasnt even alive)

So of course.

There is nobody, and i mean nobody, i could ever hate when they come to play for the Sooners.

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2011, 01:17 AM
I don't think you were ever on track.:rolleyes:

Ooooh, getting a little nasty.

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2011, 01:19 AM
he was a kid(i wasnt even alive)

So of course.

There is nobody, and i mean nobody, i could ever hate when they come to play for the Sooners.

I can. Only one. And I won't mention who it is. (Although "hate" is a little strong -- "despise" is better.)

badger
2/21/2011, 01:56 PM
This whole discussion made me think about what Poke fans think of Bobby Reid, who was once thought to be the next Vince Young, till his benching and the Gundy "I'm a Man, I'm 40" moment, and his subsequent departure from OSU.

in case you're wondering what Bobby's up to these days, read here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=407&articleid=20110221_407_0_TulsaT895039)

Spoiler: It's not autograph sessions, but it is in Oklahoma.

Mad Dog Madsen
2/21/2011, 05:00 PM

Big Van Vader...

texaspokieokie
2/21/2011, 05:33 PM
well bajjie, that's a totally different situation. Marcus didn't get benched.

Gundy was defending Reid in his infamous speech.

he just wasn't gonna play him anymore.

SoCaliSooner
2/21/2011, 05:37 PM
I've just never been an Aikman fan.

Did Switzer recruit Aikman with the promise of passing more instead of running the wishbone? I thought I had heard that was the reason for the hard feelings

texaspokieokie
2/21/2011, 05:39 PM
Did Switzer recruit Aikman with the promise of passing more instead of running the wishbone? I thought I had heard that was the reason for the hard feelings

i surely don't know, but if he didn't intend to pass more, why would he recruit aikman ??

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 05:44 PM

Yes. Barry changed the whole offense in order to get Aikman then Troy gets hurt, Jamielle steps up and we go back to the wishbone. Some of the older fans can feel free to correct me if I'm off base here but that's I was always told to believe.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 05:50 PM
Since Aikman got hurt, Barry went back to the 'bone. Then we won a national championship with it. So Barry asked "if it works, why fix it?". So Aikman was out..

Mike Stoops
2/21/2011, 06:03 PM
Just found this on YouTube. He says he was only able to visit four schools during his recruitment and settled on Oklahoma. Then says after the injury he was able to look at "higher profile" schools like UCLA. Oh, and he also finds time to throw his hometown under the bus as well for not "preparing" him for success. It's clear this D-bag never wanted to be a Sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWg6-w5klk0

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 08:32 PM
ok, thats it. I'm now officially a hater. Aikman sucks!

Leroy Lizard
2/21/2011, 08:33 PM
Didn't Texas load Bevo into a truck and haul him to Mississippi to impress Dupree? I think that's how the story goes.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 08:36 PM
Didn't Texas load Bevo into a truck and haul him to Mississippi to impress Dupree? I think that's how the story goes.

yeah, then bevo took a texas sized dump on his front yard. He was so impressed, he committed to texas, then decommited to join OU..because our s*** don't stink :D

SoCaliSooner
2/21/2011, 09:58 PM
Since Aikman got hurt, Barry went back to the 'bone. Then we won a national championship with it. So Barry asked "if it works, why fix it?". So Aikman was out..

I think Aikman had more rushing attempts than passing attempts that year and with Holieway, I doubt Aikman was going to see the field again. People forget that Aikman grew up in southern California and essentially just went to high school in Oklahoma.

UCLA at the time was pretty good with Aikman at the helm and he was in more of a pro style offense. So for Aikman to say he was better groomed at a higher profile school is the truth if you want to be a QB in the NFL.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 10:04 PM
yeah, I can see why your red, LOL

SoCaliSooner
2/21/2011, 10:06 PM
yeah, I can see why your red, LOL
I guess if one doesn't consistently praise OU for all things, all the time, they aren't true Sooners.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 10:06 PM
I think Aikman had more rushing attempts than passing attempts that year and with Holieway, I doubt Aikman was going to see the field again. People forget that Aikman grew up in southern California and essentially just went to high school in Oklahoma.

UCLA at the time was pretty good with Aikman at the helm and he was in more of a pro style offense. So for Aikman to say he was better groomed at a higher profile school is the truth if you want to be a QB in the NFL.

OU has how many national titles? And UCLA football has how many national titles? Thought so...

I think its a no brainer who is the "high profile" program and who is not...UCLA is a basketball school, and bascially is USC's b*tch when it comes to football..

Aikman is obviously bitter because it was not him who won the national title, and likely would have sat on the sideline because the 'bone was so successful in '85. I thought this was common knowledge for many years...

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 10:10 PM
I think Aikman had more rushing attempts than passing attempts that year and with Holieway,

Besides that, it doesn't matter how many "attempts" but what is important is how many "completions". You can "attempt" something all day long and still not be successful. Maybe this is the reason you are red because you don't understand this basic concept....LOL...

SoCaliSooner
2/21/2011, 10:12 PM
OU has how many national titles? And UCLA football has how many national titles? Thought so...

Aikman is obviously bitter because it was not him who won the national title, and likely would have sat on the sideline because the 'bone was so successful in '85. I thought this was common knowledge for many years...
I have a family member that knows Troy and says he's a class act and doesn't have an axe to grind towards OU. He wanted to be in a passing offense and Oklahoma was sticking with the wishbone. That parting of ways seemed to be good for both. L.A. was an NFL town with two teams and he got solid input from NFL scouts quite a bit.

Some people just seem to want to read some type of animosity into Aikman's statements any chance they get.

As far as titles go...I would guess Troy's fairly happy with his Super Bowl rings..and I think he won a ring for Switzer if I recall.

OUEngr1990
2/21/2011, 10:20 PM
As far as titles go...I would guess Troy's fairly happy with his Super Bowl rings..and I think he won a ring for Switzer if I recall.

Well, I lived in dallas during this time period and the rumors where that Aikman did not like Switzer and "tolerated" him. I also thought this was common knowledge. And I don't think that Aikman won the superbowl "for Switzer". I believe he won it for himself,the fans, and his team mates. I always felt the best player on the field was Emmitt Smith anyhow...did you see the '95 superbowl? It was Emmitt who lit it up...

Seamus
2/21/2011, 10:46 PM
I have a family member that knows Troy ...

Thank you, Simone.

boomermagic
2/21/2011, 10:47 PM

I don't think that happened.. They did send Earl Cambell to Mi. I don't think Earl took a dump on Marcus' lawn though..:D

boomermagic
2/21/2011, 10:54 PM

It sounds like your gonna take up for aikman no matter what.. I look at it this way.. Dupree and aikman both played about a year and a half for OU Barry coached as head coach some 16 years and won 3 NC as our head coach.. I'll take Barry and his word over either or both.. Wanta talk about a TRUE Sooner ? Talk Barry Switzer.. But, Between aikman and Dupree I'll take Marcus and I don't care what aikman won somewhere else.

Seamus
2/21/2011, 10:56 PM

DKR.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2011, 12:36 AM
DKR.

Make that TWO former Sooners I hate. (Both QBs, incidentally.)

Jacie
2/22/2011, 10:37 AM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/02/21/marcus-dupree-reigns-as-king-of-the-ring-in-philadelphia-missis/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Is wearing a red shirt with "OKLAHOMA" on it to his pro wrestling debut considered cashing in?

SoCaliSooner
2/22/2011, 10:48 AM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/02/21/marcus-dupree-reigns-as-king-of-the-ring-in-philadelphia-missis/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Is wearing a red shirt with "OKLAHOMA" on it to his pro wrestling debut considered cashing in?
That's rather sad.

In that 30 for 30 it sounded like he had a decent driver job. Then at the end it showed he left that job to clean oil in the gulf...and now he's wrestling. I don't care what he uses to make money, but you sure wish former players could find decent jobs.

Sooner_Tuf
2/22/2011, 03:01 PM
I have a family member that knows Troy and says he's a class act and doesn't have an axe to grind towards OU. He wanted to be in a passing offense and Oklahoma was sticking with the wishbone. That parting of ways seemed to be good for both. L.A. was an NFL town with two teams and he got solid input from NFL scouts quite a bit.

Some people just seem to want to read some type of animosity into Aikman's statements any chance they get.

One quick question. Have you ever been to Oklahoma? Or do you just make up shat as you go?

Troy never won a ring at Oklahoma. He only played in a few games. He was the starter for the 1985 season. In mid-october he broke his ankle against Miami and was done for the season. Holieway replaced him and won a MNC that year.

Troy was a great QB at OU but he would never have won the starting job back as OU had gone back to the wishbone with Holieway. They didn't run the 'bone with Troy. Barry helped him find a good spot to transfer but Troy was upset for a good many years. He felt OU abandoned him and in a sense they did. He took just about every possible shot he could at OU and at Barry for twenty plus years.

It wasn't until Sam Bradford chose his number and publicly stated how much he respected Troy that he became an OU Fan again.

Troy is a good guy that made the best of a bad situation. I respect him and I do understand why he was upset. I probably would have been too. At the same time I understand why Switzer stuck with Holieway.

Mike Stoops
2/22/2011, 03:57 PM
One quick question. Have you ever been to Oklahoma? Or do you just make up shat as you go?

Troy never won a ring at Oklahoma. He only played in a few games. He was the starter for the 1985 season. In mid-october he broke his ankle against Miami and was done for the season. Holieway replaced him and won a MNC that year.

Troy was a great QB at OU but he would never have won the starting job back as OU had gone back to the wishbone with Holieway. They didn't run the 'bone with Troy. Barry helped him find a good spot to transfer but Troy was upset for a good many years. He felt OU abandoned him and in a sense they did. He took just about every possible shot he could at OU and at Barry for twenty plus years.

It wasn't until Sam Bradford chose his number and publicly stated how much he respected Troy that he became an OU Fan again.

Troy is a good guy that made the best of a bad situation. I respect him and I do understand why he was upset. I probably would have been too. At the same time I understand why Switzer stuck with Holieway.

I think the "ring" he was referring to was the SB ring with Dallas.

SoCaliSooner
2/22/2011, 03:58 PM
I think the "ring" he was referring to was the SB ring with Dallas.

Reading comprehension is rare here...nice job.

Sooner_Tuf
2/23/2011, 05:51 PM
Reading comprehension is rare here...nice job.

So very true. So how much time have you spent in Oklahoma?

I saw your post on Shaggy about Oklahoma. I've read enough of your BS to know it's BS. Basically you are not only wasting your time but ours as well.