PDA

View Full Version : The 11th Commandment?

StoopTroup
2/17/2011, 02:26 PM
Thy shall not commit "Schadenfreude".

Was watching Boston Legal and it was used in the closing remarks of Boston Legal Murder Trial. After a bit of research it's hard to not believe that schadenfreude isn't a huge part of why our Country is in the trouble it is in. Such a social misfortune would surely become a type of Social Cancer. It does seem plausible IMO. Just a thought.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude?wasRedirected=true

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Here is a wonderful song that explains exactly what "schadenfreude" is.
nCQGQ5qBQTA

Also, if you ever watch any of the reality shows on TLC like "Toddlers and Tiaras" or "My Strange Addiction," you've already experienced schadenfreude yourself.

jkjsooner
2/17/2011, 03:36 PM
Some forms of schadenfreude aren't so sinister. Sometimes we take pleasure in the pain of others when we feel that others have asked for and deserve their pain.

For example, when reading real estate bubble blogs, those who were priced out of the real estate market used the term a lot when they saw the poor people who drove up the prices start to lose their homes.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:44 PM
Or like when tree killing Bubba in Alabama gets his cumuppance with a massive tree limb in the bung?

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 03:53 PM
Exactly.

TUSooner
2/17/2011, 03:58 PM
I suspect StoopTroup might be referring to the legions of people who rejoice in seeing their political rivals fail, no matter how badly it hurts the Nation.

NormanPride
2/17/2011, 04:06 PM
I just laugh when people get kicked in the crotch.

:les: IT'S HIGH COMEDY, PEOPLE!!

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:10 PM
I suspect StoopTroup might be referring to the legions of people who rejoice in seeing their political rivals fail, no matter how badly it hurts the Nation.

You'll keep this serious stuff off the SO mister.

Actually, it is sad. The only problem is neither side is willing to be the first to take a step back. Libs lambasted everything GWB for 8 years. Now the right is lambasting everything Obama. Don't get me wrong, both guys screwed the pooch, but until one side backs down, it's going to continue. I'm afraid now though that backing down will be perceived as weakness by the other side and they'll attack like starving hyenas.

DIB
2/17/2011, 04:11 PM
I just laugh when people get kicked in the crotch.

:les: IT'S HIGH COMEDY, PEOPLE!!

2jOO4nKxY74

TUSooner
2/17/2011, 04:24 PM
You'll keep this serious stuff off the SO mister.

Actually, it is sad. The only problem is neither side is willing to be the first to take a step back. Libs lambasted everything GWB for 8 years. Now the right is lambasting everything Obama. Don't get me wrong, both guys screwed the pooch, but until one side backs down, it's going to continue. I'm afraid now though that backing down will be perceived as weakness by the other side and they'll attack like starving hyenas.

Sorry. :D

It IS much more pleasant to think of an impaled tree killer, especially because nobody is going to back off the politcal crap until something really, really bad happens to the USA and we have no choice but to stop.

DIB
2/17/2011, 04:27 PM

It IS much more pleasant to think of an impaled tree killer, especially because nobody is going to back off the politcal crap until something really, really bad happens to the USA and we have no choice but to stop.

Independence Day style alien invasion?

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:28 PM
Nah, another 9/11 - only this time 20 times more people die.

Unfortunately, I'm completely serious.

Ike
2/17/2011, 04:33 PM

That won't make many people stop. Most people have already chosen their sides, and have convinced themselves the other is the enemy. All that will happen when something really really bad happens to the USA is they will gin up the blame machine to show it was more the other guys fault than their own.

StoopTroup
2/17/2011, 08:27 PM
I just hope none of you become Glauckenstücke.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 10:13 AM
That won't make many people stop. Most people have already chosen their sides, and have convinced themselves the other is the enemy. All that will happen when something really really bad happens to the USA is they will gin up the blame machine to show it was more the other guys fault than their own.

Yep. 9/11 was Clingon's fault for not taking out Osama when he had a chance. Then, it became Bush's fault (along with Katrina). Of course our boy Barry is teflon, cause the big oil spill in the gulf woulda damn sure been Bush's fault if he was still in...

People have completely lost touch with reality. This is why I don't watch any of the "news" networks, and rarely even watch the "news." I prefer to stay out on the farm and bury my head in the clay. It's better that way.

soonercruiser
2/18/2011, 12:22 PM
Yep. 9/11 was Clingon's fault for not taking out Osama when he had a chance. Then, it became Bush's fault (along with Katrina). Of course our boy Barry is teflon, cause the big oil spill in the gulf woulda damn sure been Bush's fault if he was still in...

People have completely lost touch with reality. This is why I don't watch any of the "news" networks, and rarely even watch the "news." I prefer to stay out on the farm and bury my head in the clay. It's better that way.

"Groundenfreude"!
:D

(And, unlike eating donuts; you do not have to brush your teeth after "burying".)