PDA

View Full Version : Toomer's Corner Dead/Dying

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/16/2011, 08:49 PM
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/toomers_corners_oaks_poisoning_1.html

:eek:

Any predictions for what Auburn fans will destroy at Alabama?

The Paul Finebaum radio show caller who claimed credit for poisoning the famous live oaks at Toomer's Corner said he poisoned the oak trees the weekend after Auburn University beat the University of Alabama in the Iron Bowl. That would place the timing of the vandalism well before Auburn won the BCS national championship football game Jan. 20.

The call to the program, however, was made Jan. 27, after which Auburn police began investigating the situation. "The weekend after the Iron Bowl I went to Auburn, Alabama, because I live 30 miles away, and I poisoned the 2 Toomer's trees," the caller, who identified himself as "Al from Dadeville," said. Dadeville, in Tallapoosa County, is about 25 miles northwest of Auburn. U.S. 280 is the main road connecting the two municipalities. The caller refers to having placed the same brand of poison on the trees that Auburn officials say they have determined was used for the poisoning. Asked by Finebaum if the trees died, the caller said they were not dead yet, but definitely will die, which is now the prognosis of the experts who have analyzed soil around the oaks. When Finebaum notes to the caller that that is against the law, the caller says, "Well you think I care? ... I really don't. Hey, and you can tell Tammy I ... nevermind. Roll d*mn Tide!"

"Roll Tide" is the cheer used by fans of Auburn's in-state rival, the University of Alabama. On its road to the national championship, Auburn overcame a 24-point deficit to beat Alabama on Nov. 26, the day after Thanksgiving 2010. Based on the call, that would place the poisoning as having taken place Nov. 27 or 28.

Auburn University officials said the herbicide used is known as Spike 80DF, or tebuthiuron, and that it's use is governed by state agricultural laws and the Environmental Protection Agency. The university does not use Spike herbicide, officials said.

University officials said that it was after the Jan. 27 Finebaum call that officials, as a precaution, took soil samples and sent them to be analyzed at the Alabama State Pesticide Residue Laboratory on the AU campus. Due to a small fire that occurred in the Alabama lab in December, the tests then were sent to the lab at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss., to expedite results.

Officials said in a news release that the lowest amount of the poison detected was 0.78 parts per million, described by horticulture experts as a “very lethal dose.” The highest amount detected was 51 parts per million, or 65 times the lowest dose. Experts believe a normal application by itself would have been enough to kill the trees, which are estimated to be more than 130 years old.

This year's Iron Bowl is to take place in Auburn on Nov. 26, a Saturday, and officials are likely to be concerned about security given the nature of the vandalism done to something Auburn fans hold near and dear.

Anticipating that some people might feel a desire to strike back, University President Jay Gogue asked members of the Auburn Family to “continue to be ‘All In’ in upholding its reputation for class” and not allow anger to be expressed "inappropriately or undeservedly."

“It is understandable to feel outrage in reaction to a malicious act of vandalism,” Gogue said in a statement released by the university. “However, we should live up to the example we set in becoming national champions and the beliefs expressed in our Auburn Creed. Individuals act alone, not on behalf of anyone or any place, and all universities are vulnerable to and condemn such reprehensible acts.”

oudavid1
2/17/2011, 01:03 AM
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/toomers_corners_oaks_poisoning_1.html

:eek:

Any predictions for what Auburn fans will destroy at Alabama?

Alabama students should be banned from the all sporting events until someone comes forward. This is just stupid and so wrong.

Blue
2/17/2011, 01:17 AM
Alabama students should be banned from the all sporting events until someone comes forward. This is just stupid and so wrong.

Dude. It was some hillbilly from Opelika. He's probably never stepped foot in Tuscaloosa.

yermom
2/17/2011, 05:53 AM
http://media.al.com/live/photo/9295143-large.jpg

i really need some Allbarn toilet paper :D

Okla-homey
2/17/2011, 07:37 AM
http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/oaks.html

oudavid1
2/17/2011, 08:47 AM
Dude. It was some hillbilly from Opelika. He's probably never stepped foot in Tuscaloosa.

oh, well i figured it might have been students. In that case, idk.

TUSooner
2/17/2011, 09:20 AM
Before they cut down the dead trees, they need need to hang that hillbilly from one of them. What a stupid pathetic useless PoS he must be.

Breadburner
2/17/2011, 10:20 AM
I heard he was caught.....

OUMallen
2/17/2011, 10:20 AM
They played the radio interview on the Animal this morning. He wasn't even a Bama fan growing up. He said something about being in Texas when Coach Bryant died and "not knowing" about how bitter the rivalry is.

OULenexaman
2/17/2011, 11:22 AM
I heard he was caught.....

That's what I just read....

Later Thursday, WTVM in Columbus, Ga., reported that police arrested Harvey Almorn Updyke, 62, on a charge of criminal mischief. His bond is set at $50,000, the station reported.

I would never have guessed it would be a grown man....

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 11:24 AM
I hope it's a felony and I hope he dies in prison.

Partial Qualifier
2/17/2011, 11:34 AM
If they had toomers, I don't see why a little herbicide is gonna matter much.

Boarder
2/17/2011, 12:06 PM
Arrestified (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6131518&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

OULenexaman
2/17/2011, 12:10 PM
and a retired state trooper.....this guy walks.

JohnnyMack
2/17/2011, 12:10 PM

Wow. That's kinda harsh.

NormanPride
2/17/2011, 12:16 PM
Disgusting.

badger
2/17/2011, 12:19 PM
As for which Bammer memento gets destroyed, I'm looking at this one right here as the primary target:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090301/winter-storm/images/69599e65-d42a-44a9-bfd9-63e21f414955.jpg

This will make the Cam Newton jersey that appeared on Bear seemed tame when they're through with it.

They better put Bear under 24-hour surveillance at this point.

KantoSooner
2/17/2011, 12:32 PM
just set up landmines around him. The man in the hat would approve.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 12:36 PM

It's a ****ing tree girlfriend. It ain't like it's a person. I say **** him in the *** with one of the dead limbs and let him go.

On a sidenote, I've probably killed > 1,000 trees on my place in the past 7 years. I've got at least 50 laying on the ground right now waiting to be cut into firewood. Not a single one of them screamed when I took the dozer to them.

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 12:53 PM
Whatever. It's not about the trees. What if some pissed off Texan went to Norman and took a ball and crane to Bizzell Library? The guy is a worthless piece of s**t who destroyed something special and beautiful for no other reason than to be an a**hole. He doesn't belong in society, so yes, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. Harsh? Sue me.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, he's a worthless POS. He destroyed something special and is an ******* for it. My only point is that there are THOUSANDS of much worse people out there right now who walk free and have done so much worse. I'm talking people who have been arrested, tried, convicted, and are out free. I just can't get all that indignant over this one. You can. Rock on with your indignant self. Dude deserves to get punished, but life in prison? C'mon man.

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 01:02 PM
In all fairness, a** raped by a dying tree limb would be an acceptable substitute. As long as it was girthy.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:07 PM
Atta girl!! Girthy and rougher than a bammer cob.

Viking Kitten
2/17/2011, 01:14 PM
And no lube either. :D

badger
2/17/2011, 01:29 PM
Judge: You can go to prison for a decade
Harvey: :eek:
Judge: OR, you return to Auburn and every barner fan gets to line up and... kick a field goal.
Harvey: Auburn... in Georgia?
http://tidedruid.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/auburn-ga1.jpg

Judge: Auburn... in Alabama.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uSoDo8YadEg/TH6wNY09VXI/AAAAAAAAAHU/T_2Ug4-SCvw/s1600/AuburnFans.png

Harvey: I'll take a decade in prison, sir.

JohnnyMack
2/17/2011, 02:05 PM
Whatever. It's not about the trees. What if some pissed off Texan went to Norman and took a ball and crane to Bizzell Library? The guy is a worthless piece of s**t who destroyed something special and beautiful for no other reason than to be an a**hole. He doesn't belong in society, so yes, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. Harsh? Sue me.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/19/someofthesetr128636765780247787.jpg

Okla-homey
2/17/2011, 03:23 PM

Here's the good news. The particular herbicide crap he used is some dangerous shiite. Allow me to explain. I know about a case brought by a man who was required to apply this same stuff by his employer, right here in Oklahoma, on only two documented occasions. He was not trained on how to handle it or given protective clothing and equipment. He subsequently developed leukemia. And he got paid, A LOT, by the employers inshorance company.

Now, that said, I bet this joker did his evile deed during the dead of night, using a bucket, and sloshed some on himself.

Therefore, if Karma is the lady I think she is, this guy will get very sick. Perhaps mortally.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:24 PM
Spike is in granular form. At least the spike I've used. And it don't take much to kill some trees I want you to know.

Okla-homey
2/17/2011, 03:27 PM
Spike is in granular form. At least the spike I've used. And it don't take much to kill some trees I want you to know.

All I know for sure is the guy I wrote about above got some on himself and inhaled some vapor. He rec'd his leukemia dx about a year after his last exposure. I think he's dead now.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:33 PM
Well it's a good thing I use Tordon now to kill the trees.

pphilfran
2/17/2011, 04:15 PM

Just a tad extreme, don't ya think?

Scott D
2/17/2011, 04:18 PM
Really, why is this news outside of Alabama?

My first thought when they made it sound like a huge national tragedy was "who gives a ****?"

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:19 PM
Dude, she already changed his sentence to "anal rendering with an over-sized, especially rough tree limb."

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:20 PM

My first thought when they made it sound like a huge national tragedy was "who gives a ****?"

Muh****ah, just cause every damned tree in Deetroit has been killed by pollution and **** doesn't mean other people don't care about their trees.

pphilfran
2/17/2011, 04:21 PM
Dude, she already changed his sentence to "anal rendering with an over-sized, especially rough tree limb."

Much better...

OULenexaman
2/17/2011, 04:24 PM
Feb. 17th 2011.....should be dubbed as Tree Day on SF.com. The day it rocked 3 forums...

Scott D
2/17/2011, 04:25 PM
Muh****ah, just cause every damned tree in Deetroit has been killed by pollution and **** doesn't mean other people don't care about their trees.

****...our ****in trees can kick their ****in trees asses.

Okla-homey
2/18/2011, 06:58 AM

Lots of people do. The story was even a headline in Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358057/Man-court-charged-poisoning-famous-Auburn-university-oak-trees-Toomers-Corner-college-football-revenge-attack.html

Okla-homey
2/18/2011, 07:00 AM
Well it's a good thing I use Tordon now to kill the trees.

I'd still make sure I wore a respirator and rubber gloves when handling or applying the stuff.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/18/2011, 12:09 PM

But he did say "Roll Damn Tide" at the end of his call...

Boarder
2/18/2011, 01:40 PM
Guy's a dick for killing the tree. No question. But, do you find it a bit ironic that the Auburn fans are worried about a tree dying that served as a final resting place for 100s of dead trees over the years? How many trees worth of tp got thrown onto that oak?

Partial Qualifier
2/18/2011, 02:47 PM
Guy's a dick for killing the tree. No question. But, do you find it a bit ironic that the Auburn fans are worried about a tree dying that served as a final resting place for 100s of dead trees over the years? How many trees worth of tp got thrown onto that oak?

lol that's a great point.

Blue
2/18/2011, 07:01 PM
But he did say "Roll Damn Tide" at the end of his call...

Oh he was a Bama nutjob alright, but I was just responding to OUDaves post that the students should be punished.

picasso
2/18/2011, 11:35 PM
As for which Bammer memento gets destroyed, I'm looking at this one right here as the primary target:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090301/winter-storm/images/69599e65-d42a-44a9-bfd9-63e21f414955.jpg

This will make the Cam Newton jersey that appeared on Bear seemed tame when they're through with it.

They better put Bear under 24-hour surveillance at this point.

It's a bronze cast. They can just make another one.

Okla-homey
2/19/2011, 07:43 AM

True story. The TP is generally bought by the single roll for the purpose from Toomers Drugstore acros the street from the oaks. It's made from recycled paper and believe me, you would not want to use it on your hiney.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/auburns_poisoned_trees_accused.html

BTW, according to the above linked story, the accused perp who has now made bail, is a Bammer of course. Moreover, he named his children "Bear" and "Crimson." Now, we love us some football here in Okie. And a great number of us love our Sooners. But the extent of our naming in honor of OUr historically great program is the occasional pet named "Boomer." Not our kids for crying put loud.

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 09:16 AM
BTW, according to the above linked story, the accused perp who has now made bail, is a Bammer of course. Moreover, he named his children "Bear" and "Crimson."

No "Tide"?

jkjsooner
2/19/2011, 09:45 AM

It's not about the tree itself. It's about the symbolism and the fact that you can't replace the tree with an equal one.

In the long run, this will just increase the aura around Toomer's Corner. In a weird perverse way, this incident will become part of the lore of Auburn and Auburn/Alabama.

goingoneight
2/19/2011, 03:54 PM
And Okie Lighters thought an 'OU' in their brick wall made it a rivalry. :D

Hell, we were just being nice and trying to GIVE them something "special."

GKeeper316
2/19/2011, 04:49 PM
Before they cut down the dead trees, they need need to hang that hillbilly from one of them. What a stupid pathetic useless PoS he must be.

hang a person for killing a tree? really?

Okla-homey
2/19/2011, 07:11 PM
hang a person for killing a tree? really?

of course not. Wait until the tree dies, then build a pyre and burn him. Like a witch.

Okla-homey
2/20/2011, 09:01 AM
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_grad_helps_lead_tide_for_toomers_fund-raising_effort

Law Grad Helps Lead ‘Tide for Toomer’s’ Fund-Raiser for Poisoned Auburn Live Oaks

Posted Feb 18, 2011 6:30 PM CST
By Martha Neil

Following news that a University of Alabama fan has been criminally charged with poisoning the live oaks that play an iconic role for Auburn University during the archrivals' annual football game, other Crimson Tide supporters have stepped forward to try to undo the damage.

Law graduate Jennifer Hanson, who earned her bachelor's degree at Alabama, is among those who are trying to raise money to help with the 130-year-old live oaks at Toomer's Corner, near the Auburn campus, reports the Tuscaloosa News.

Feeling that the football rivalry between the two institutions has gotten "a little nasty" in recent years, she says she hopes her group's Tide for Toomer's Facebook page will help both sides focus on their shared tradition and respect for each other.

So far, the group has raised $12,000 in just a few days, reports CBS News. Tide for Toomer's has been listed on Auburn University's Toomer's Oaks page and donations reportedly will go directly to Auburn.

While it remains to be seen whether the trees will survive, the Alabama fans' effort is apparently helping heal the emotional wounds to Auburn supporters, according to the Tuscaloosa newspaper:

“I am a diehard AU fan and this act of kindness is a great show of real class and is deeply appreciated by all the true AU fans,” writes one Facebook user, Trent Martin.

“You won't hear me say this often," he continues, "but Roll Tide Roll."

Scott D
2/20/2011, 11:08 AM
so will these trees be buried or cremated?

Okla-homey
2/20/2011, 02:42 PM
so will these trees be buried or cremated?

On a positive note, those trees, converted into wooden furniture and or wooden knick-nacks of various types could probably gross hundreds of millions for Auburn athletics.

Scott D
2/22/2011, 01:14 PM
On a positive note, those trees, converted into wooden furniture and or wooden knick-nacks of various types could probably gross hundreds of millions for Auburn athletes.

:D