PDA

View Full Version : Iron Bowl...Tide Fan Claims to Killing Live Oaks

SoCal
2/16/2011, 06:32 PM
http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/oaks.html

Toomer's Corner oaks poisoned with herbicide; unlikely to survive

AUBURN – Auburn University today confirmed that an herbicide commonly used to kill trees was deliberately applied in lethal amounts to the soil around the Toomer's Corner live oaks on campus, and there is little chance to save the trees. More information and ongoing updates as to treatment and prognosis are available on this site.

The City of Auburn Police Division is investigating the situation, and the application of this herbicide, known as Spike 80DF, or tebuthiuron, is also governed by state agricultural laws and the Environmental Protection Agency. The university does not use Spike herbicide. There is no reason to suspect any human danger from the herbicide, which manufacturer Dow Chemical says should be applied with proper clothing protection; a typical use of the herbicide is to kill trees along fence lines.

The university learned that a caller to The Paul Finebaum Show, a nationally syndicated radio show based in Birmingham, on Jan. 27, claimed he had applied the herbicide. As a precaution, soil samples were taken the next day and sent to the Alabama State Pesticide Residue Laboratory on campus for analysis. Due to a small fire that occurred in the Alabama lab in December, the tests were sent to the lab at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss., to expedite results.

The lowest amount detected was 0.78 parts per million, described by horticulture experts as a "very lethal dose." The highest amount detected was 51 parts per million, or 65 times the lowest dose. Experts believe a normal application by itself would have been enough to kill the trees, which are estimated to be more than 130 years old.

"We are assessing the extent of the damage and proceeding as if we have a chance to save the trees," said Gary Keever, an Auburn University professor of horticulture and a member of Auburn's Tree Preservation Committee. "We are also focused on protecting the other trees and shrubs in Samford Park. At this level the impact could be much greater than just the oaks on the corner, as Spike moves through the soil to a wide area." Additional tests are being completed to determine the movement and extent of the area affected, Keever said.

The removal process involves digging trenches and applying activated charcoal to absorb the herbicide from the soil and block its progress. A representative from Dow Chemical, which manufactures the herbicide, is advising the university on removal procedures, and expert horticulturalists are also being consulted.

"We will take every step we can to save the Toomer's oaks, which have been the home of countless celebrations and a symbol of the Auburn spirit for generations of Auburn students, fans, alumni and the community," said University President Jay Gogue.

Gogue asked members of the Auburn Family to "continue to be 'All In' in upholding its reputation for class" and not allow anger to be expressed inappropriately or undeservedly.

"It is understandable to feel outrage in reaction to a malicious act of vandalism," Gogue said. "However, we should live up to the example we set in becoming national champions and the beliefs expressed in our Auburn Creed. Individuals act alone, not on behalf of anyone or any place, and all universities are vulnerable to and condemn such reprehensible acts."

Because the application of the herbicide is being investigated, no details about the investigation can be released. Anyone with information can contact the Auburn Police Division at (334) 501-3110 or anonymously by voice or text on the tip line at (334) 246-1391.

agoo758
2/16/2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.epapsa.com/images/radon-rooftop.jpg

LASooner
2/16/2011, 06:42 PM
I'm sure Finebaum's response was "roll tide"

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 06:54 PM
I've used Spike many times. I killed a bunch of willows in a ditch with it - only problem was I put it down about 35 feet away from a 150-year old pecan. It killed that damn pecan before the willows died. That **** works now.

That being said, what kind of a ****ing dildo would do something like this?

badger
2/16/2011, 07:04 PM
That ground is gonna be poisoned for awhile. I am not sure if there's any possibility to them saving the 130-year-old tree. We all hated Auburn getting away from cheating to and lying to get away with the Cam Newton crap too, but this is low.

Condolences to Auburn fans for their beloved tree. I was sad when OU finally had to get rid of it's aging Pe-et Elm too. :(

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q3Ior2tZoT0/S55s1ZLi2wI/AAAAAAAAA8c/P_oeBKooDL4/s400/toomerslableled+forreuse.jpg

A-M
2/16/2011, 07:17 PM
I do agree, this is going way too far to get back at a University. I sure do not like the fact that the NCAA has yet done nothing to Auburn for the Cam Newton mess, but hopefully that will happen before very long. No need to do something like this. This should not have happened.

Monster Zero
2/16/2011, 07:22 PM
There's at least one extremely sick dude running around loose out there.

Sabanball
2/16/2011, 07:26 PM
That's what they get for putting a $Cam Newton jersey on our Bear Bryant statue outside BDS the night before the IB...;)

NathanStinson
2/16/2011, 07:27 PM
Guy needs a dose of reality: http://podcasting.fia.net/6960/4653781.mp3

Rocko
2/16/2011, 07:29 PM
This is truly a shame. Live Oaks are beautiful trees, it's so sad.

Blue
2/16/2011, 07:31 PM
That being said, what kind of a ****ing dildo would do something like this?

A redneck Alabama fan.

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 07:32 PM
You know what's really funny? If they catch this guy he'll spend 20 years behind bars. Michael Vick spent a couple for fighting dogs. 1,001 football players never spent a second behind bars for beating their old ladies halfway to death. AMERICA!! **** Yeah!!

Sabanball
2/16/2011, 07:34 PM
Finebaum is now saying the feds are involved. Huh?!

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=14044530

Blue
2/16/2011, 07:54 PM
I do agree, this is going way too far to get back at a University. I sure do not like the fact that the NCAA has yet done nothing to Auburn for the Cam Newton mess, but hopefully that will happen before very long. No need to do something like this. This should not have happened.

What is Auburn guilty of regarding Cam Newton?

yankee
2/16/2011, 08:00 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

A-M
2/16/2011, 08:15 PM
What is Auburn guilty of regarding Cam Newton?

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not going to waste my time to explain it to you!

Blue
2/16/2011, 08:54 PM
If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not going to waste my time to explain it to you!

His dad wanted money at Miss State, but what evidence is there besides YOU wanting it to be true?

SoonerPride
2/16/2011, 09:05 PM
That story is depressing.

MyT Oklahoma
2/16/2011, 09:07 PM
Meanwhile.. I love a good practical joke as much as the next person but this was totally uncalled for.

I can only hope that they catch the person(s) responsible and after they criminal court system gets done with him a civil lawsuit is next for the value of those trees, plus all of the expenses involved in the investigation of this incident, the costs in trying to save the trees, plus the costs of removing these trees.

P.S. If a Sooner fan did something like this I would disown them.

oudavid1
2/16/2011, 09:10 PM
Its just a game! Holy ****

A-M
2/16/2011, 09:15 PM
His dad wanted money at Miss State, but what evidence is there besides YOU wanting it to be true?

This is the last I will say to you on this subject! You can either wait until the NCAA does its thing and shows everyone the evidence, or check the many old SF.com post on Cam Newton and see it first hand. Have a good night.

Soonermagik
2/16/2011, 09:22 PM
That is going too far, it's called vandalism. The guy sounded like a redneck jackwagon on the radio call.

yermom
2/16/2011, 09:47 PM
vandalism is one thing, destroying a 100+ year old landmark is pretty ****ty.

but still, **** Allbarn :D

MsProudSooner2
2/16/2011, 10:03 PM
Next to killing a team's animal mascot, I can't think of anything much worse that an ignorant, red neck fan could do.

jkjsooner
2/16/2011, 10:08 PM
It seemed to me that once Finebaum asked if what he did was illegal he started thinking about it and quickly got off the phone. He didn't finish whatever he wanted to tell Tammy. I think there was a serious "oh crap" moment there.

sooner ngintunr
2/16/2011, 10:13 PM
No worries, I'm sure something in the Patriot Act will cover it.;)

Soonerjeepman
2/16/2011, 10:20 PM
ok..that is all crappy and all...but it's a frickin tree....

we have homeless, soldiers coming back to foreclosed houses, abortions...all kinds of horrible things and like someone said...this guy will get 20 yrs...for killing a tree...

Rocko
2/16/2011, 10:39 PM
Good thing Oklahoma doesn't have any 150 year live oaks on campus, some Poke would kill the poor thing! and too bad OSU doesn't have any trees!

swardboy
2/16/2011, 10:40 PM
War Oak!

kelloggOUballa
2/16/2011, 10:47 PM
Dude should be put in the slammer for life. ****** bag.

Soonermagik
2/16/2011, 10:50 PM
Good thing Oklahoma doesn't have any 150 year live oaks on campus, some Poke would kill the poor thing! and too bad OSU doesn't have any trees!

Only a wrasslin school would vandalize something of theirs.

kelloggOUballa
2/16/2011, 10:52 PM
Speaking of wrasslin, that would be funny if someone at Auburn went Stone Cold Steve Austin on the Bear Bryant statue.

sooner ngintunr
2/16/2011, 10:59 PM
'Bama is ****ed. IMO this is pretty much as bad as it gets. The retaliation is going to be epic.

Those that are saying "it's only a tree" Should be saying "it's only a football game" Trees are ****ing awesome.

badger
2/16/2011, 11:05 PM
The worst part is that an Auburn fan is probably going to take revenge on the Bammer campus. Think having a $Cam jersey on your Bear statue is bad? Wait till the statue is sledgehammered into a prune-like raisin state. :(

Blue
2/16/2011, 11:05 PM
This is the last I will say to you on this subject! You can either wait until the NCAA does its thing and shows everyone the evidence, or check the many old SF.com post on Cam Newton and see it first hand. Have a good night.

You've said two things and neither provide a lick of evidence implicating Auburn or Cam Newton.

Man the old ladys on this site are bat **** crazy. :D

kelloggOUballa
2/16/2011, 11:17 PM
The worst part is that an Auburn fan is probably going to take revenge on the Bammer campus. Think having a $Cam jersey on your Bear statue is bad? Wait till the statue is sledgehammered into a prune-like raisin state. :(

I'm an eye for an eye person. I would never start anything, but you can't just let something like that go. Of course, I wouldn't be the one retaliating either, but would enjoy watching someone else do it. :D

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2011, 11:22 PM
All we did when I was in high school was kill the enemy school's mascot. Was it our fault they chose the bald eagle for a mascot?

Pricetag
2/17/2011, 12:08 AM
They'll be able to get the guy's phone number from the phone records, no?

ouwasp
2/17/2011, 12:28 AM
Well, let's hope the reward $ will smoke these perps out. I have three majestic oak trees in my yard, along with a couple pines, sycamore and a sweet gum. But the oaks are outstanding. They've given me a lot of grief (and firewood) when an ice storm hits, but the idea of someone poisoning them...:mad:

yankee
2/17/2011, 01:10 AM
If I was a hippie, I'd be hella pissed.

Good thing I'm not.

Anyway, screw the state of Alabama.

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 01:10 AM
A_JPcBwYGmo

ictsooner7
2/17/2011, 01:14 AM
Living in Kansas...............NEVER kill a tree.

Blue
2/17/2011, 01:15 AM
Anyway, screw the state of Alabama.

Hey! Screw you Buddy!

http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/season_13/sp_1304_08.jpg?width=480

yermom
2/17/2011, 04:59 AM
A_JPcBwYGmo

wow.

OhU1
2/17/2011, 09:52 AM
What if someone pulled this stunt on the OKC survivor tree? Yeah it's "only a tree" but it was/is important to many people. Someone with the mentality to do what occurred at Auburn would think little of vandalizing landmarks, structures, poisoning dogs ect. to get their kicks.

CrimsonCommando
2/17/2011, 10:19 AM
'Bama is ****ed. IMO this is pretty much as bad as it gets. The retaliation is going to be epic.

Those that are saying "it's only a tree" Should be saying "it's only a football game" Trees are ****ing awesome.

^^^^^^^ this dildo has started a vanadalism war and the Auburn fans will be justified. That's gonna make it 100 times worse for Bama. Bama may want to police their own and find this guy. Then buy Auburn some new dirt and trees. Hella War Eagle coming though!!!

NathanStinson
2/17/2011, 11:25 AM
http://secfootball.onlysec.com/post/3345798079/harvey-almorn-updyke-62-of-dadeville-alabama

http://www.metafilter.com/100650/Al-from-Dadeville-brings-sports-rivalries-to-a-new-low?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Boomer.....
2/17/2011, 11:41 AM
Apparently someone did this in Austin a while back and got 9 years.

Trees r srs bidness.

badger
2/17/2011, 11:42 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgrs98ZF0E1qcihyqo1_400.jpg

Boomer.....
2/17/2011, 11:43 AM
Word is that this winner has children named "Bear" and "Crimson".

http://twitter.com/#!/slmandel/status/38270027966713857

OULenexaman
2/17/2011, 12:01 PM
62 yrs old and a retired state trooper?? Amazing....

Boomer Mooner
2/17/2011, 12:04 PM
62 yrs old and a retired state trooper?? Amazing....

Beat me to it. Hard to believe he used to be a trooper. I hope they throw this spiteful moron in jail for a long time.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 12:23 PM
Those of you railing for serious jail time seriously need to think about what you're saying. Dude is a dick. Dude is an *******. Dude is a moron. Dude is a redneck goober. Dude is NOT a felon. It's a ****ing tree. Yes, a very meaningful and important tree to a lot of people, but a tree none the less.

People lose all perspective when they see this kind of crap. All the Michael Vick haters and tree killer haters never say **** when it's a human being that is being hurt. Perspective people, perspective.

bmjlr
2/17/2011, 12:25 PM
Dude should have never said anything and just watched the trees die...but what fun would that be...I guess.

sperry
2/17/2011, 12:49 PM
Those of you railing for serious jail time seriously need to think about what you're saying. Dude is a dick. Dude is an *******. Dude is a moron. Dude is a redneck goober. Dude is NOT a felon. It's a ****ing tree. Yes, a very meaningful and important tree to a lot of people, but a tree none the less.

People lose all perspective when they see this kind of crap. All the Michael Vick haters and tree killer haters never say **** when it's a human being that is being hurt. Perspective people, perspective.

Actually the dude is a felon, since he, ya know, committed a felony. Someone who destroys extremely valuable, irreplaceable property deserves to do hard time. If somone stole your car, I'm sure you wouldn't them to be put in jail :rolleyes: This has the same end result. Auburn University has lost valuable property, and unlike in the case of theft, it can't be recovered and returned to them.

sperry
2/17/2011, 12:50 PM
Dude should have never said anything and just watched the trees die...but what fun would that be...I guess.

Guess he thought he'd be a "hero" among tide fans. Instead, he's going to prison.

XingTheRubicon
2/17/2011, 12:51 PM
You guys are missing the big picture here. We have a marvelous chance at a "bleeding Kansas" type in-state war. Both sides are incredibly stupid and heavily armed. An all out bloodbath in say, Birmingham would be non-stop entertainment.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 12:54 PM
Y'all sure he's a felon? On what charge? I see vandalism, maybe destruction of property. If he can't find a lawyer who can't get those charges reduced (I hear Froze might be available...) then there ain't a lawyer worth a **** in Alabama.

This is one of those cases where everybody is OUTRAGED. I'm just saying it's not very smart to be. Yes, be angry or whatever, but the whole "hang him, crucify him, life in prison, etc." is a bunch of hokey bull****.

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 12:58 PM
10 years in prison max.

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:00 PM
Y'all sure he's a felon? On what charge? I see vandalism, maybe destruction of property. If he can't find a lawyer who can't get those charges reduced (I hear Froze might be available...) then there ain't a lawyer worth a **** in Alabama.

This is one of those cases where everybody is OUTRAGED. I'm just saying it's not very smart to be. Yes, be angry or whatever, but the whole "hang him, crucify him, life in prison, etc." is a bunch of hokey bull****.

He has been charged with a felony. I don't think the District Attorney in Auburn, Alabama is going to have a very succesful reelection campaign if he pleads this out on something minor. I don't think the guy should be hung or anything like that, but he broke a law that carries a maximum of 10 years in prison for breaking it, and I see no reason why it's not appropriate to send him down the river for 10 years.

badger
2/17/2011, 01:03 PM
Right now, the only complaint against him is criminal mischief, which is hardly a felony. I think this complaint (DA's file charges, and severe charges have not been filed yet, whereas cops usually arrest on complaints) is because of the present state of things, which is:

1- The trees are still alive, even if they're alive on severely poisoned ground and
2- Severe damage has not shown up yet on the entire area, including shrubs and other plants.

When the trees die as they are expected to, barring a miracle, then I expect felony charges to get filed.

Auburn already used it's miracle this season, keeping Cam eligible on the (lie???) accepted claim by the NCAA that Cam was unaware that his dad was fielding monetary offers for Cam's commitment to other schools, but did not accept money to go to Auburn.

THAT was Auburn's miracle. I think they have exhausted their miracle allotment for at least a decade after that.

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:07 PM
Right now, the only complaint against him is criminal mischief, which is hardly a felony. I think this complaint (DA's file charges, and severe charges have not been filed yet, whereas cops usually arrest on complaints) is because of the present state of things, which is:

1- The trees are still alive, even if they're alive on severely poisoned ground and
2- Severe damage has not shown up yet on the entire area, including shrubs and other plants.

When the trees die as they are expected to, barring a miracle, then I expect felony charges to get filed.

Auburn already used it's miracle this season, keeping Cam eligible on the (lie???) accepted claim by the NCAA that Cam was unaware that his dad was fielding monetary offers for Cam's commitment to other schools, but did not accept money to go to Auburn.

THAT was Auburn's miracle. I think they have exhausted their miracle allotment for at least a decade after that.

1st Degree Criminal Miscief is a felony under Alabama law.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:11 PM
Oh fer ****'s sake. 10 years for killing a galdamn tree? Are you outta your ****ing mind?

Michael Vick spent 2 for maiming/torturing/killing a hundred effing dogs fer-cryin-out-loud. I can find thousands of cases where people spent less than 10 years for murder, rape, incest, child abuse, assault, burglary, etc. You know, REAL felonies?

Good Lord almighty some of you people's perspective is outta whack.

Boomer Mooner
2/17/2011, 01:16 PM

Guess it depends on your idea of a long time. When I heard he could be looking at 10 years, well that does seem way excessive to me. But I wouldn't have a problem at all with a year in prison.

If they let this guy go with a slap on the wrist the whole state of Alabama is going to be poisened, burned, pissed on...wait a minute...never mind...

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:19 PM
Oh fer ****'s sake. 10 years for killing a galdamn tree? Are you outta your ****ing mind?

Michael Vick spent 2 for maiming/torturing/killing a hundred effing dogs fer-cryin-out-loud. I can find thousands of cases where people spent less than 10 years for murder, rape, incest, child abuse, assault, burglary, etc. You know, REAL felonies?

Just because some people are let off too easy for crimes doesn't mean this guy should be. This guy is a miserable, hateful piece of crap. And he just so happened to commit a REAL felony that carries with it a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. Why is it so crazy to think he deserves to serve that time?

badger
2/17/2011, 01:24 PM
Criminal mischief only gets you an "E for Everyone" rating on a video game... oh wait, that's COMIC mischief. A felony? Really? dang

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 01:25 PM

The law is the law...like it or not C&C. Nobody is trying to say 10 years is fair or not. It is what it is. FWIW, I seriously doubt he'll get the full penalty.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:27 PM
Oh, so you know him? You know he's a miserable, hateful POS? Do you know if he has kids? A family? Does he pay his bills? Has he ever done some type of other felony?

Oh nevermind. Ugga bugga the poor bastard to death for all I care. Perspective is obviously something that folks suffering from faux outrage are not capable of maintaining. Kill him. Maim him. Torture him. Meh.

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:27 PM
Criminal mischief only gets you an "E for Everyone" rating on a video game... oh wait, that's COMIC mischief. A felony? Really? dang

The title of the law is a little misleading. "Criminal Mischief" is actually destruction of property. This is the text of the statute:

A person commits the crime of criminal mischief in the first degree if, with intent to damage property, and having no right to do so or any reasonable ground to believe that he or she has such a right, he or she inflicts damages to property in an amount exceeding $2500.

Soonermagik
2/17/2011, 01:29 PM

It's not that simple. Criminal mischief probably carries a max of 10 years. Hence, it's subjective and he will in no way get the max. I'm betting the guy gets off for time served, or 30 days. Plus, he will be on probation and will have to face a civil suit from Auburn.

The civil suit is what should scare him. They might try to take his house, car etc. if they win a big judgment for costs associated with the trees. He would also be forced to reimburse Auburn for retained legal counsel. It's possible that they could even garnish part of his retirement money from the state. This guy has stupid written all over him. Even if he wanted to do this, why be so smug as to call a talk radio show to brag about such stupidity?

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:33 PM
Oh, so you know him? You know he's a miserable, hateful POS? Do you know if he has kids? A family? Does he pay his bills? Has he ever done some type of other felony?

Oh nevermind. Ugga bugga the poor bastard to death for all I care. Perspective is obviously something that folks suffering from faux outrage are not capable of maintaining. Kill him. Maim him. Torture him. Meh.

Or send him to prison for the term proscribed by the statute because he committed the crime :rolleyes: Seeing as how you yourself posted on the South Oval thread that the guy is a worthless POS, I see no reason to argue that point with you (since it's readily apparent that a miserable, hateful POS is precisely what he is). What does paying his bills have to do with anything? I suppose his creditors would care about that, but it doesn't have any bearing on that. Same with kids and a family. Any moron with proper plumbing can breed, doesn't mean they shouldn't be accountable for crimes they commit.

The representatives of the people of the state of Alabama decided that 10 years in prison was in the appropriate range of punishments for the crime that this guy committed. If a court were to sentence him to that, I would see no problem with it.

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 01:33 PM
Being in the lumber business, I can tell you that the market value of 2 trees this caliber being fully harvested will easily exceed $2500. Not sure how they'll put a value on all things destroyed though.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:38 PM
Or send him to prison for the term proscribed by the statute because he committed the crime :rolleyes: Seeing as how you yourself posted on the South Oval thread that the guy is a worthless POS, I see no reason to argue that point with you (since it's readily apparent that a miserable, hateful POS is precisely what he is). What does paying his bills have to do with anything? I suppose his creditors would care about that, but it doesn't have any bearing on that. Same with kids and a family. Any moron with proper plumbing can breed, doesn't mean they shouldn't be accountable for crimes they commit.

The representatives of the people of the state of Alabama decided that 10 years in prison was in the appropriate range of punishments for the crime that this guy committed. If a court were to sentence him to that, I would see no problem with it.

What. Ev. Dude will get < 6 months.

PalmBeachSooner
2/17/2011, 01:39 PM
If they catch the bastage that did it they should apply that stuff to his nut-sack.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:39 PM
Being in the lumber business, I can tell you that the market value of 2 trees this caliber being fully harvested will easily exceed $2500. Not sure how they'll put a value on all things destroyed though.

One mature oak tree is worth > $2500? Really? If so, my place is worth brazillions.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 01:40 PM
If they catch the bastage that did it they should apply that stuff to his nut-sack.

They did. Keep up.

sperry
2/17/2011, 01:41 PM
What. Ev. Dude will get < 6 months.

I agree he's not going to do more than a year. I personally think he deserves more, though.

royalfan5
2/17/2011, 01:44 PM
The important thing is that I hear they love ex-cops in jail. Might make the time pass slower for him.

Boomer.....
2/17/2011, 01:45 PM
In 1989, in an act of deliberate vandalism, the tree was poisoned with the powerful hardwood-herbicide, Velpar. Lab tests showed the quantity of herbicide used would have been sufficient to kill 100 trees.[1] The incident sparked community outrage, national news reports, and a torrent of home-made "Get Well" cards from children that were displayed on the fence around the park. Texas industrialist and former Reform Party candidate for U.S. President, Ross Perot wrote a 'blank check' to fund efforts to save the tree.[2] DuPont, the herbicide manufacturer, established a $10,000 reward to capture the poisoner. The vandal, Paul Cullen, was apprehended after reportedly bragging about poisoning the tree as a means of casting a spell.[3] Cullen was convicted of felony criminal mischief and sentenced to serve nine years in prison.

Here is the story about the tree in Austin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Oak_(Austin,_Texas)

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 01:46 PM
One mature oak tree is worth > $2500? Really? If so, my place is worth brazillions.

Well, lets see here C&C... Go to your local tree nursery and tell me how much they're asking for any type of oak tree that is 5-7 years old. Multiply that by 25. I believe you'll be well over $10k my man.

PalmBeachSooner
2/17/2011, 01:46 PM
A_JPcBwYGmo

I wasn't sure what 'bat schmidt' crazy was but now I think I do.

MyT Oklahoma
2/17/2011, 01:48 PM
It's not that simple. Criminal mischief probably carries a max of 10 years. Hence, it's subjective and he will in no way get the max. I'm betting the guy gets off for time served, or 30 days. Plus, he will be on probation and will have to face a civil suit from Auburn.

The civil suit is what should scare him. They might try to take his house, car etc. if they win a big judgment for costs associated with the trees. He would also be forced to reimburse Auburn for retained legal counsel. It's possible that they could even garnish part of his retirement money from the state. This guy has stupid written all over him. Even if he wanted to do this, why be so smug as to call a talk radio show to brag about such stupidity?

^^ This. I could care less about his serving time if convicted. He better start worrying about a civil lawsuit and the potential environmental penalties (if any) for what he did.

I believe the word of the day here is dumba**.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/The-Auburn-oak-tree-killer-is-in-custody-but-da?urn=ncaaf-322882

PalmBeachSooner
2/17/2011, 01:53 PM
Oh...wait 'til Treebeard and his boyz from the Forest of Fangorn find out about this. Just ask Saruman the White what happens to M-F'ers who do trees wrong.

I hate myself for using a Lord of the Rings reference. I'm just too dayum old for fantasy.

cjames317
2/17/2011, 01:58 PM
Does CERCLA (federal environmental contamination statutes) provide any criminal penalties?

cjames317
2/17/2011, 02:01 PM
I guess my congressman Joe Barton is working on his apology to Mr. Updike.

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2011, 02:07 PM
I hope I dont go to jail for peeing on osu's experimental wheat plots in NW Oklahoma.

soonersam
2/17/2011, 02:07 PM
Its sad but funny.. such an idiot

soonersam
2/17/2011, 02:08 PM
I cant wait to see what the farkers come up with on this one!!

CrimsonCommando
2/17/2011, 02:27 PM
http://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgia-bulldogs/2011/2/17/1999031/harvey-updyke-arrested-toomers-corner-poisoning

Looks like they already caught him. His bootay is going in the federal wood-chipper for this one. War Eagle!!!!

SoonerPride
2/17/2011, 02:48 PM

Trees > people.

That's my perspective.

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 02:57 PM
Trees definitely older than people.

:)

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 02:58 PM
Trees > people.

That's my perspective.

Without trees, you couldn't have played your woodwind.

;)

SoonerTank
2/17/2011, 03:02 PM
Read below the article reference posted by MyT that this man is originally from Texas.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of mother****ers on this board that are < a tree.

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of mother****ers on this board that are < a tree.

Lol!

Wishboned
2/17/2011, 03:42 PM
I hope this is one tradition that OSU fans don't steal.

If they kill trees every time they lose to OU there won't be a forest left in Oklahoma in a few years.

OhU1
2/17/2011, 03:52 PM
I hope this is one tradition that OSU fans don't steal.

If they kill trees every time they lose to OU there won't be a forest left in Oklahoma in a few years.

OSU is an ag school too. They could swoop down on Norman overnight with aggie tree and weed killing juice and turn Norman into Lubbock Texas. :stunned:

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2011, 04:19 PM
People lose all perspective when they see this kind of crap. All the Michael Vick haters and tree killer haters never say **** when it's a deer that is being hurt. Perspective people, perspective.

FIFY

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:22 PM
You did? Well I don't get it Leroid.

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 04:34 PM
I'm agreeing with Dean here! They're effin trees people!!!! They'll be replaced with the Offspring from these trees that have been being grown by Auburn since the 80's.

FYI Auburn's own horticulturist was saying they had 12 years max left in these trees before having to cut em down and replant. They'll dig out the dirt, wait a year and replant! Life will go on, and boo effin hoo if auburn won't be able to vandalize their own trees next year. Keep that in mind... Auburn fans vandalize these very trees 5-6 times a year!!!!

jumperstop
2/17/2011, 04:40 PM
I'm agreeing with Dean here! They're effin trees people!!!! They'll be replaced with the Offspring from these trees that have been being grown by Auburn since the 80's.

FYI Auburn's own horticulturist was saying they had 12 years max left in these trees before having to cut em down and replant. They'll dig out the dirt, wait a year and replant! Life will go on, and boo effin hoo if auburn won't be able to vandalize their own trees next year. Keep that in mind... Auburn fans vandalize these very trees 5-6 times a year!!!!

Tp'ing is vandalism? How do they vandalize them otherwise?

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 04:43 PM

So if someone poisoned your yard and killed a couple of your 100 year old trees...you'd just say life goes on? Maybe let your kids play out there as well?

:rolleyes:

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 05:05 PM
Back to the value of the tree being $2500. This little tree in front is an oak I had planted last fall that cost $500. Now, to say a 130 year old tree isn't worth $2500 doesn't sound right does it?

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4773/dsc0298y.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/dsc0298y.jpg/)

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 05:17 PM
No, it doesn't. So you're telling me a tree appreciates every year it's alive until it dies? Horse****. I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid.

I've got brazillions of oaks on my place you can come dig out for $50 a pop. Seriously. Red oak, post oak, black jack, and a couple different types of oak I don't know. All the pecans saplings you want for the same money. Got black walnut too. Tons of em. Lumber guys call every so often wanting my walnut trees but they want to just cut them down, and they pay by the ton or truck load. If they'd doze out the rootballs I'd probably sell them some.

AlboSooner
2/17/2011, 05:28 PM
SEC SEC SEC

the SEC is sooo tight

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 05:29 PM
No, it doesn't. So you're telling me a tree appreciates every year it's alive until it dies? Horse****. I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid.

I've got brazillions of oaks on my place you can come dig out for $50 a pop. Seriously. Red oak, post oak, black jack, and a couple different types of oak I don't know. All the pecans saplings you want for the same money. Got black walnut too. Tons of em. Lumber guys call every so often wanting my walnut trees but they want to just cut them down, and they pay by the ton or truck load. If they'd doze out the rootballs I'd probably sell them some.

Absolutely! The bigger a tree gets...the more it's worth. That's not rocket science. Come on man, I know you "ain't stupid"! Not sure what business you're in, but maybe it's the wrong one? Of course it's not as simple as cutting trees down on your land. There's grading involved in harvesting hardwood lumber and Oklahoma soils don't yield very high grades as far as lumber goes. :D

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 05:38 PM
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg1213155710639.html

Here's a link showing those trees would be in between $70000 - $100000 to replace.

Boomer.....
2/17/2011, 05:44 PM

Of course larger trees, cost more than Charlie Brown trees. I'm sure there is a ceiling once the tree is mature though.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 06:24 PM
So, let's see, I've got a couple of post oaks, one right in front of the house, that are > 150 years old according to the OSU guy. They're HUGE. I've got some red oaks that he says are 75 years old that are taller, but not as big around. You're telling me they're worth $50K or $75K? Hell, I've got some pecans that you and me could join hands and we couldn't reach all the way around the base of them. I can't even get my shaker on them to shake the nuts out of them they're so big. These trees gotta be worth $100K on your scale.

Guess what? When I doze them down and cut them up I get about $60 a rick for the firewood. A really big tree might make a couple rick - tops. But if you're in the market for really big trees, I've got a bunch I'll sell cheap. Or maybe the next ice storm (last year I lost over 200 trees) I should claim a few mil on my insurance?

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 06:27 PM
Tp'ing is vandalism? How do they vandalize them otherwise?

Yes sir! My parents were fined $3K for it when I was caught as a youth! Absolutely it's vandalism and considered as such!

Phi Delt, I didn't say I wouldn't be upset and make the person re-sod the yard. I wouldn't however be asking for the guy/kid (The normal culprit in a situation like this) to be spending ten years in jail! And I wouldn't care if my kids played in the yard as it's not a danger. Read the toxicity label on Spike if you don't believe me.

Hell I once had a neighbor do this very thing when he sprayed the RRS score from 05' in my yard w/ Round-Up. Did I ask to have him jailed? Nope.... I let it stay for a week and then made him dig it all up, put in new top soil, hand grade it, then re-sod the affected area.

Not quite as big as a tree or as hard of a fix, but you get the point. It's a prank, all be it poorly executed, but not something the guy should spend 10 years in jail for. No matter how stupid he was. Fine him, make him pay restitution, 5 years probation, and community service around the auburn campus, and that's that! Maybe a week in jail if you really are adamant about jail time.

There is a point that tree farms stop charging for the trees. As they'd never sell them if the price kept going up. It's finding a spade truck large enough to transport one that's the problem, as there are only a few throughout the US. I bring in trees of similar size/age for customers every once in a while, and your crazy if you believe they'll be 100K to replace. I also got some ocean front property that I want to sell you right here in Oklahoma, right next to Gaylord Stadium! Besides, Auburn has been growing the replacement trees themselves, so the actual tree cost is next to zilch!

badger
2/17/2011, 06:33 PM
Auburn has been growing the replacement trees themselves, so the actual tree cost is next to zilch!

I knew they were selling seedlings to fund forestry scholarships... they have some replacement oaks ready to plant? How old?

yermom
2/17/2011, 06:44 PM
i REALLY want a few days off

FIFY ;)

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2011, 07:06 PM
From an incident last year in California.

The district calls the cutting of the two nearly 20-foot trees in the quad area of Central High School East Campus last month a case of "significant vandalism" with damage estimated between $7,500 and $14,000. But the students described it as a "senior prank" meant to deprive their junior classmates of shade. The families sued the district after they disagreed over the method of punishment. They said they agree the students should be disciplined and offered to pay restitution.

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/03/19/1864863/central-high-tree-cutting-case.html#ixzz1EGQNvRfF

These were just smaller shade trees of little historical/sentimental value.

EDIT: News is now coming out of Auburn that many species of deer like to pway near the twees. And are they cute!

yermom
2/17/2011, 07:27 PM
you do realize lots of us have eaten deer meat brought to tailgates by Dean, right?

49r
2/17/2011, 07:36 PM
Hey PhiDeltBeers, you might wanna do a Google search for "Mulch Volcanoes" and read about the harm they do to trees. That is if you want your little trees to live. YWIA.

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 08:06 PM
I knew they were selling seedlings to fund forestry scholarships... they have some replacement oaks ready to plant? How old?

Apparently they started in 87 so they're over 20 years old. Not 130, but large enough! Auburn had been planning to remove the current oaks this decade.

jumperstop
2/17/2011, 08:12 PM
Apparently they started in 87 so they're over 20 years old. Not 130, but large enough! Auburn had been planning to remove the current oaks this decade.

Now I feel less bad about the whole thing if they were planning to replace them in a few years.

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2011, 08:18 PM
you do realize lots of us have eaten deer meat brought to tailgates by Dean, right?

Now nothing makes sense.

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 08:26 PM
Gimme a bit, and I'll give u the article written in 2007 about it Jumper.

Edit: http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

sperry
2/17/2011, 08:32 PM
That guy who torched my car shouldn't go to jail, I mean my insurance will pay for a new one!

jumperstop
2/17/2011, 08:39 PM
Gimme a bit, and I'll give u the article written in 2007 about it Jumper.

Edit: http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

Didn't read it all because the print was way small on that and hard to read, but the second to last page is where it talks about them replacing them possibly in the next five years. They said they didn't start the program with seedlings of the Toomers until 2002. So if they do need replacing I don't think they have 20 y/o trees to replace them with.

King Barry's Back
2/17/2011, 08:51 PM

Perspective -- What do you think the economic value of those trees was/is?

130 years old, in the center of a major university campus, the trees themselves being a focal point of the campus.

I'd guess the value is several million dollars, and up.

Now what would happen to you or me if we destroyed several million dollars worth of factory equipment? Or burned down a building worth several million dollars?

Leroy Lizard
2/17/2011, 08:57 PM
I don't think the value matters. The dude is a vandal of the worst sort. And vandals suck. So throw his *** in the slammer for so long that even mentioning the word Spike causes him to convulse.

Maybe if he shows how he did it and begins working for the government to help it stop other tree poisoners...

King Barry's Back
2/17/2011, 09:15 PM

This is clearly painfully obvious, but your trees aren't famous and are not centerpieces of a university campus. I've never been to Auburn (shuddering at the thought), but if all those 'barners are bat s**t crazy about those trees like the stories say, the trees are valuable.

It'd be interesting to see how much Auburn budgets to care for their oaks, and how much insurance they have on the trees.

And I am curious how much they are going to spend to try to save these landmarks, even though they admit that it is almost certainly a lost cause.

Those figures, likely to come out at trial, will give us a good idea of the value of the trees.

Tigeman
2/17/2011, 09:28 PM
Didn't read it all because the print was way small on that and hard to read, but the second to last page is where it talks about them replacing them possibly in the next five years. They said they didn't start the program with seedlings of the Toomers until 2002. So if they do need replacing I don't think they have 20 y/o trees to replace them with.

You may have caught me there as I swear last night when I read it, it said 1987. I can't zoom in on right now though as I'm on my iPhone and it gets all blurry when I try. I'll take your word on it though... I guess that makes more sense as to why they wanted to wait 12 more years from the time of that article.

MsProudSooner2
2/17/2011, 09:31 PM
South Carolina Live Oak Tree

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/4080697724_3ac27884a0.jpg

Oklahoma Blackjack tree

http://biology.uco.edu/bidlack/botany/botanypics/trees/blackjack%20tree%201.jpg

Whet
2/17/2011, 09:49 PM
gotta be a nut! at least they arrested him

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 10:43 PM
So, let's see, I've got a couple of post oaks, one right in front of the house, that are > 150 years old according to the OSU guy. They're HUGE. I've got some red oaks that he says are 75 years old that are taller, but not as big around. You're telling me they're worth $50K or $75K? Hell, I've got some pecans that you and me could join hands and we couldn't reach all the way around the base of them. I can't even get my shaker on them to shake the nuts out of them they're so big. These trees gotta be worth $100K on your scale.

Guess what? When I doze them down and cut them up I get about $60 a rick for the firewood. A really big tree might make a couple rick - tops. But if you're in the market for really big trees, I've got a bunch I'll sell cheap. Or maybe the next ice storm (last year I lost over 200 trees) I should claim a few mil on my insurance?

Wow, did I really upset you so much that you had to dig way back to find out I went to OSU. Seriously, I would find better things to do with my time than look at my old posts. Come on Dean, you're 53 years old. You're old enough to be my father. And if you cant tell the difference between a replacement value and a harvested value (be it ricks or an FAS graded material), you shouldn't go telling people you you have a degree from OU. Makes the school look bad. I highly doubt your insurance company covers your trees and good luck pressing charges on the ice storm.

Now, that we have that out of the way, you've lost the whole point of the value of the tree. Cost of damages was to exceed $2500. I rest my case.

PhiDeltBeers
2/17/2011, 10:47 PM
Hey PhiDeltBeers, you might wanna do a Google search for "Mulch Volcanoes" and read about the harm they do to trees. That is if you want your little trees to live. YWIA.

There's pros and cons both ways there guy. My little trees have done just fine.

picasso
2/18/2011, 12:31 AM
A tree in Alabama could have all kinds of history attached to it.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 09:27 AM
Wow, did I really upset you so much that you had to dig way back to find out I went to OSU. Seriously, I would find better things to do with my time than look at my old posts. Come on Dean, you're 53 years old. You're old enough to be my father. And if you cant tell the difference between a replacement value and a harvested value (be it ricks or an FAS graded material), you shouldn't go telling people you you have a degree from OU. Makes the school look bad. I highly doubt your insurance company covers your trees and good luck pressing charges on the ice storm.

Now, that we have that out of the way, you've lost the whole point of the value of the tree. Cost of damages was to exceed $2500. I rest my case.

1. I wasn't referring to you when I said "the OSU guy." I was referring to the gentleman who came out to do a soil sample and look at my property from the OSU extension.

2. Do you honestly think I'd spend one second going back and looking at one of your posts? For what purpose? You really shouldn't flatter yourself.

3. The trees dude killed have very little MONETARY value. Historic value? Maybe. Sentimental value? Sure.

4. Yes, some lawyering types will find a way to put a monetary value on these "priceless" hunks of wood. Yes, I agree that it will be >$2,500.

5. No, the galdamn trees ain't worth $2,500 in real dollars unless you can cut enough lumber to build a damn boat with.

6. I did notice one of our resident lawyer types posting about how valuable these trees are. I expect this from him because that's pretty much how them d-bags roll.

yermom
2/18/2011, 09:55 AM
he's a dork that likes Allbarn to begin with as well :D

SoCal
2/18/2011, 09:55 AM

ok I'll bite...do tell.

Soonerson1975
2/18/2011, 09:57 AM

If those tree's could talk.

OULenexaman
2/18/2011, 10:13 AM
If those tree's could talk.

Are you hinting my apples aren't what they ought to be?

picasso
2/18/2011, 10:36 AM
Steve Miller likes your peaches.

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2011, 10:47 AM
5. No, the galdamn trees ain't worth $2,500 in real dollars unless you can cut enough lumber to build a damn boat with.

If the man killed a (say) 40-foot tree, then the tree is worth the cost it takes to replace it. And I don't mean for him to buy a 20-foot tree and plant it so that the victims have to wait around for ten years to get back what they lost. He needs to plant a 40-foot tree.

If he can't, then he deserves whatever monetary award the judge throws at him.

If it was an accident, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

BigJerm7
2/18/2011, 11:59 AM
What if someone pulled this stunt on the OKC survivor tree? Yeah it's "only a tree" but it was/is important to many people. Someone with the mentality to do what occurred at Auburn would think little of vandalizing landmarks, structures, poisoning dogs ect. to get their kicks.

Comparing a tree where dozens of innocent people were killed to a tree where people party and toilet paper it after football wins = allsome.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:09 PM
Comparing a tree where dozens of innocent people were killed to a tree where people party and toilet paper it after football wins = allsome.

Perspective. This guy gets it.

TMcGee86
2/18/2011, 12:19 PM
Dean, if you had a Picasso and someone burned it, would you be satisfied with the price of the oil paint and canvas?

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:28 PM
Dean, if you had a Picasso and someone burned it, would you be satisfied with the price of the oil paint and canvas?

A Picasso can be SOLD for umpteen brazillion dollars. I can have an auction or just call a collector and have it appraised and sell it for that.

A tree cannot. It can be sold for lumber or firewood or fruit or nuts or whatever crop it may produce. It's sentimental value can't be sold. Get it? Sheesh why is this so hard for some of you to understand. There is NO monetary value beyond the crop on a tree. Basically what this is is damages for pain and suffering. It's bull**** too.

TMcGee86
2/18/2011, 12:36 PM
meh, I wouldn't say pain in suffering, though I understand what you are saying.

I'm saying there's replacement value and in light of the massive undertaking moving an old tree is, along with the time it takes for a tree to obtain it's growth, that replacement value is high.

Even if you agreed to sell them one of your trees for five bucks there would still be a huge cost in actually transplanting that tree. So you can't just say, a tree is worthless, get over it.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 12:41 PM
I didn't say it was worthless. I said it wasn't worth > $2,500.

OULenexaman
2/18/2011, 01:18 PM

Correct....which is probably why I have just pi$$ed on trees my whole life.:D

olevetonahill
2/18/2011, 01:31 PM
From an incident last year in California.

These were just smaller shade trees of little historical/sentimental value.

EDIT: News is now coming out of Auburn that many species of deer like to pway near the twees. And are they cute!

Limptard, do you really get paid to be so ****in stupid ?:rolleyes:

Wishboned
2/18/2011, 01:53 PM
If the tree dies and falls and no one is around to hear it...

will Alabama still claim a national championship?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/18/2011, 02:06 PM
Its just a game! Holy ****No war eagle chit, there. Auburn is gonna feel enough pain when the NCAA taps on their shoulder some time in the future. At least the defensive lineman got away with the head twist of the Oregon kid at the bottom of the pile.

TMcGee86
2/18/2011, 03:00 PM

You may be right, I've never priced it, but it seems like it would be more.

Granted, they could offset some of the cost by chopping up the dead trees now and selling the wood.

So you may be on to something.

Wishboned
2/18/2011, 04:21 PM
You may be right, I've never priced it, but it seems like it would be more.

Granted, they could offset some of the cost by chopping up the dead trees now and selling the wood.

So you may be on to something.

They could have someone create commemorative wood carvings out of the trees to offset the cost of replacing them.

A matching set of Aubie the Tiger and the War Eagle created from the historic trees of Toomer's Corner can be yours for only $5,000. Or four easy payments of $1,250.

2/18/2011, 04:27 PM
They could have someone create commemorative wood carvings out of the trees to offset the cost of replacing them.

A matching set of Aubie the Tiger and the War Eagle created from the historic trees of Toomer's Corner can be yours for only $5,000. Or four easy payments of $1,250.WINNAH!

boomermagic
2/18/2011, 04:35 PM
If the man killed a (say) 40-foot tree, then the tree is worth the cost it takes to replace it. And I don't mean for him to buy a 20-foot tree and plant it so that the victims have to wait around for ten years to get back what they lost. He needs to plant a 40-foot tree.

If he can't, then he deserves whatever monetary award the judge throws at him.

If it was an accident, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

They still ain't worth $ 2500 dumb ***..

PhiDeltBeers
2/18/2011, 05:14 PM
http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_determine_value_tree/

"Money doesn't grow on trees."

When you hear that old expression, an image may flash in your head of a magical tree where currency actually blooms from its branches. But the fleeting image fades and you accept the reality that money does not grow on trees.

Right?

Wrong. Trees do have value, though perhaps not as in your daydream. The tricky part is figuring how to express that value in dollars and cents.

More than just a pretty plant Appraisals can measure a tree's worth other than its aesthetic value. Trees provide timber and food, and habitat for wildlife. They also replenish the environment with oxygen and filter pollution. All of these are values to which it is possible to attach a monetary figure. For landscape trees, however, value largely results from the aesthetic improvements they bring to property. The need to define this value relates to insurance claims, tax deductions, legal claims and real-estate assessment, among other things.

The appraisal process begins by determining the four variables that make up the formulas for each method of assessment. The next step is to determine the appropriate method of assessment. The following discussion describes the basic steps of appraisal. However, the process actually is much more detailed. Whenever a tree's value is material to legal or financial claims, you should rely on an expert.

Factors in assessment The four major factors involved in properly assessing the value of a plant are size, species, condition and location. A thorough understanding of each is imperative.

1. Size. The first step in an appraisal is to measure the tree, usually its height or its trunk diameter. You should measure the trunk diameter at between 1 foot and 4.5 feet from ground level, depending on the overall height of the tree. You might also need to measure branch spread and bark thickness.

Leaning or sloped trees, low branching, excessive trunk flare, trees cut or broken below 4.5 feet and multi-stem specimens may complicate your measuring. Plant-appraisal guides provide more detailed discussions of how to treat such measurements.

2. Species. The species of tree alters appraisals in a variety of ways. Simply put, some species are more desirable than others, and, therefore, more valuable. Some take a long time to reach the desired form or size, so an old specimen may be particularly valuable.

Conversely, some species are known to be prone to certain pests or diseases. These are less likely to achieve their desired mature form or age. For example, a Bradford pear tree might be considered less valuable than other species in storm-prone regions because of its propensity to split.

3. Condition. Evaluate the tree's structural integrity and overall health. Examine all aspects of the tree, including the roots, trunk, scaffold branches, twigs and foliage, and check for general health and vigor as well as specific problems. In estimating damage, it may be necessary to consider the tree's condition prior to a particular injury. Damage from diseases, phytotoxicity and environmental causes are all considered components of the tree's condition.

4. Location. Assess the tree's site, placement and functional and aesthetic contributions to a property. Consider the overall quality of the general area-the buildings, hardscape and plantings. Note how the tree contributes to the site's function and aesthetics. Determine how effectively the placement of the plant provides those benefits.

Methods of assessment After completing these four steps, you can begin the actual assessment. There are various methods to do this. Real-estate and insurance appraisers, accountants and landscapers might use different calculation methods; one is not inherently better. Appraisers sometimes (use) more than one method to ensure accuracy. If you have any uncertainty about which method to use or how to use it, contact a qualified professional.

* The replacement-cost method estimates the cost of replacing a tree at the same location with one of the same species, condition and, if possible, size. Many times, a specimen is too large to be replaced by a single tree and still be of equal value. In this instance, appraisers may allocate several smaller trees deemed collectively to be equivalent to the larger original. This is simply a matter of calculating the cost of the replacement trees and their installation. (You'll notice that this method seems similar to cost of cure and cost of repair; however, the essential difference is that the replacement-cost method is used in situations when the only viable option is to replace the tree.)

* The trunk formula is used to estimate the value of a tree that is too large to replace with nursery or field stock, or when the trunk is the only remaining part of the tree. You determine the appraised value by calculating the tree's basic value and adjusting it for the variables of condition and location.

The basic value of a tree is the sum of two factors: the cost of transplanting the largest normally available tree of the same or comparable species; and the increase in value due to the larger size of the tree being appraised compared to the size of the replacement tree.

* Somewhat similar to the replacement-cost method, the cost of repair and cost of cure methods are used to appraise monetary loss when trees are damaged or destroyed. Cost of repair does just what it indicates: assesses the cost of repairing a damaged tree. Treatments might include wound treatment, cabling, bracing, pruning, or insect and disease management. Cost of cure is used to determine the treatment that will return the property to the closest approximation of its original condition. Both of these method account for the following steps: - Remove debris and clear the site - Replace, repair or restore tree to its pre-casualty condition - Post-restoration maintenance.

For certain types of trees, other methods exist. For instance, evaluating palms differs because of specific characteristics inherent to a palm.

Using the appraisal The method you use will affect the final value you attribute to a tree. The appraised value of a tree should be reasonable in relation to the value of the property on which it sits. Identical trees in different neighborhoods could have vastly different dollar values. Studies have estimated that trees may account for up to 15 percent of the value of a residential property. (For example, a $200,000 house on a lot with three mature trees might owe as much as $30,000 of its value to the trees. Assuming that all three trees are of equal value, each tree would be valued at $10,000.)The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows deductions for losses of property sustained during the taxable year that are not compensated for by insurance or other means. Refer to the IRS Code of 1986, section 165 (a) for further information. Otherwise, tree appraisals are used for determining the value of trees in settlement for damage or death of trees through litigation, insurance claims or direct payment.

Additional uses of tree appraisals include real-estate assessments, agency budget justification, condemnation proceedings, sale of nursery property and establishing the value of trees damaged during construction operations.

This article outlines just the basic steps of appraisal. Many variables affect how a tree is initially inspected and measured and how its characteristics translate into value. Detailed discussions of tree valuation can be found in appraisal guides (see "Contacts," at left). When an expert opinion is necessary, such as in an insurance or legal claim, you should employ a professional tree appraiser. Experience is critical to properly valuing a tree in a manner that will stand up legally.

Not even sure why I'm still trying to prove their worth, but here ya go. They're worth more than $2500.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 05:30 PM
Do you have a tree for sale that costs $2,500? That's what I thought. They AIN'T worth that much.

You can play all the games you want with property values that the tree sits on crapola and it doesn't matter. It's an arbitrary, pie-in-the-sky absolute inexact science. "let's see Homer, the crib is worth $800K, therefore the weeping willow in the bar ditch has gotta be worth at least $40K." C'mon man.

PhiDeltBeers
2/18/2011, 05:46 PM
Dean, not only are the trees worth more, it's going to cost more than that to remove them. Just had this discussion with 2 other professionals with over 65 years in the hardwood business (i'd say we're more qualified than you). One of these guys lives in midtown Tulsa who happens to have an oak tree over 100 years old. He told me an arborist quoted him $4000 to remove the tree. If the the trees aren't worth anything (like you suggest), the clean-up will take care of the rest. It is indeed an inexact science, but not rocket science. Not that any of this even matters at this point because I believe they already charged the dude with a felony, so apparently the proper authorities agree with me.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 06:06 PM
Dude, you pay me $4K and I will remove any single tree in the state of Oklahoma, including every root, twig, leaf, molecule. That's ****ing ludicrous. I have spent the past 9 years removing trees from my property. I'm pretty ****ing good at it. Dozer/back hoe? Check. Chainsaw? Check. Grapple on the FEL of the John Deere? Check. I can clear a 200 year old anything in half a day. $4K? You guys are worse than lawyers.

C&CDean
2/18/2011, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah. I'm not disparaging your business, I'm just telling you I've cleared hundreds, maybe even thousands of hardwood trees from my property. It's hard work, but it ain't worth anything close to what you're quoting. I won't tell anybody though.

sperry
2/18/2011, 06:10 PM
A Picasso can be SOLD for umpteen brazillion dollars. I can have an auction or just call a collector and have it appraised and sell it for that.

A tree cannot. It can be sold for lumber or firewood or fruit or nuts or whatever crop it may produce. It's sentimental value can't be sold. Get it? Sheesh why is this so hard for some of you to understand. There is NO monetary value beyond the crop on a tree. Basically what this is is damages for pain and suffering. It's bull**** too.

Actually, it probably could be sold. You don't think an Auburn donor would pay big money for one of those trees if they somehow went up for sale?

NormanPride
2/18/2011, 06:12 PM
What about counting future profits? The saplings were selling for $60 a pop.

jumperstop
2/18/2011, 06:44 PM
Dude, you pay me $4K and I will remove any single tree in the state of Oklahoma, including every root, twig, leaf, molecule. That's ****ing ludicrous. I have spent the past 9 years removing trees from my property. I'm pretty ****ing good at it. Dozer/back hoe? Check. Chainsaw? Check. Grapple on the FEL of the John Deere? Check. I can clear a 200 year old anything in half a day. $4K? You guys are worse than lawyers.

The part about it being expensive is you have to keep it alive when you move it to it's new destination. I don't think any of the things you listed can do that for you, you have to get a giant tree mover.

jumperstop
2/18/2011, 06:45 PM
What about counting future profits? The saplings were selling for $60 a pop.

I bet you they could triple that price now.

KBoomer11
2/18/2011, 06:49 PM
This has been an entertaining read.

Blue
2/18/2011, 07:05 PM
I've never been to Auburn (shuddering at the thought),

You should. It's a great college town with a beautiful campus.

Sabanball
2/18/2011, 07:38 PM
Its just a game! Holy ****

Not in Alabama, young man.

Sabanball
2/18/2011, 07:39 PM
If the tree dies and falls and no one is around to hear it...

will Alabama still claim a national championship?

Only if we can still call you "Choklahoma"....;)

I Am Right
2/18/2011, 07:41 PM
Tip over the outhouse in stoolwater

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2011, 07:45 PM
They still ain't worth $ 2500 dumb ***..

If you scratch my car as an act of vandalism, you should pay what it takes to repaint the car. I don't care what you think the car is worth.

The location of the tree factors into its value. A tree out in the boonies isn't worth as much as a tree sitting in a public park, just like a house in Malibu isn't worth the same as an identical house in Muddy Boggy.

Dumb ***.

Sabanball
2/18/2011, 07:47 PM
Funny how just as word leaks out that the NCAA is in Louisiana investigating Auburn recruiting tactics, this pity party for them and their tree also begins. Sorry but I don't believe in coincidences....

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/timing-of-toomer-news-release-raises-questions-29504

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2011, 07:53 PM
Funny how just as word leaks out that the NCAA is in Louisiana investigating Auburn recruiting tactics, this pity party for them and their tree also begins. Sorry but I don't believe in coincidences....

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/timing-of-toomer-news-release-raises-questions-29504

So what? The NCAA isn't going to give a rat's **** about these trees, so any conspiracy to deflect news coverage of its investigation isn't going to mean anything in the end.

Blue
2/18/2011, 08:10 PM

Didn't they have to wait for the lab results from State to determine whether or not the guy actually poisoned the trees before they arrested him? No harm in finding out who he was before the results came back.

2/18/2011, 08:37 PM
I can clear a 200 year old anything in half a day. $4K? You guys are worse than lawyers.Wasn't sure that could be said about ANYONE, but yes, they do appear to be.

finster
2/18/2011, 09:27 PM
This Updyke dude is a vacuum,He was born and raised (and had a career as a State Trooper)In a circle jerk of self-importance. He took his Koreshian Texas public schooling and transferred it to Bama.
And c'mon, Did those stupid trees really think they were better than the The Bear ?

jumperstop
2/19/2011, 01:16 AM
You should. It's a great college town with a beautiful campus.

Stopped there on the way to the as NCG in Florida in 08. It was late but from what I saw it was a pretty campus.

mgsooner
2/19/2011, 01:35 AM
How many redneck toothless idiots does it take to kill a tree? Surprisingly, just one.

Blue
2/19/2011, 01:40 AM
How many redneck toothless idiots does it take to kill a tree? Surprisingly, just one.

Yeah like Oklahoma doesn't have any redneck toothless idiots. I've lived in both states. Pot meet kettle.

mgsooner
2/19/2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah like Oklahoma doesn't have any redneck toothless idiots. I've lived in both states. Pot meet kettle.

Insecure?

d.stOUgh
2/19/2011, 04:30 AM
The bottom line to me is, being borne in bama, but thanks to the Grace of GOD, I lived in Oklahoma for 15 years...'71-'85, & two of my sons were borne there!

I've been in Coach Switzers' office and touched every trophy OU had won before & during my time there.

The thing that gets me is that aw-burn has always been bamas' reheaded step-child.

I mean to react this way after aw-burn winning a MNC (the cam-izzle chit thrown in) once every 53 years, for a total of two now, is not worth taking away their tree rolling party. What else do they have?

Good grief...the guy is an idiot! Whatever sentence he gets...he's earned it by being a frigging redneck...not a bama fan...just by being stupid!

Anyway...BOOMER SOONER!!!! Number 8 is coming this year!

PhiDeltBeers
2/19/2011, 08:56 AM
This has been an entertaining read.

Filled with lots of stupidity, opinions, and facts. I love a good topic! :D

PhiDeltBeers
2/19/2011, 09:01 AM

You are wrong. As I posted earlier, a tree can be appraised. Wonder what the metal on my Rolex is worth? $20? Hmm, I'd rather sell it for $8000.

PhiDeltBeers
2/19/2011, 09:10 AM
Oh yeah. I'm not disparaging your business, I'm just telling you I've cleared hundreds, maybe even thousands of hardwood trees from my property. It's hard work, but it ain't worth anything close to what you're quoting. I won't tell anybody though.

I didn't quote anything. An arborist did.

I'm going to go ahead a quit though. You're right, I'm wrong. Happy?

Even though you're still wrong! :D

Leroy Lizard
2/19/2011, 09:57 AM
BTW, I haven't heard any news about the Auburn investigation by the NCAA. I guess there was nothing to the allegations after all.

MsProudSooner2
2/19/2011, 12:14 PM
I think the NCAA is on pause while the FBI does their thing.

picasso
2/19/2011, 12:24 PM
They should make some of them chainsaw arts out of them.

Sabanball
2/19/2011, 12:48 PM
BTW, I haven't heard any news about the Auburn investigation by the NCAA. I guess there was nothing to the allegations after all.

Not so fast my friend. Rest assured there IS AN ACTIVE INVESTIGATION going on. After a ncaa investigator's 5 hour visit with T Reed and G Robinson, it doesn't look good for AU, from what I'm being told. Next stop: Arkansas. Walt Williams, you're going to have some company soon.

OUthunder
2/19/2011, 01:16 PM
Not so fast my friend. Rest assured there IS AN ACTIVE INVESTIGATION going on. After a ncaa investigator's 5 hour visit with T Reed and G Robinson, it doesn't look good for AU, from what I'm being told. Next stop: Arkansas. Walt Williams, you're going to have some company soon.

Long overdue.

tcrb
2/19/2011, 01:36 PM
Only if we can still call you "Choklahoma"....;)

Heh....can't help but notice the irony in a 'bama fan talking "choke smack" during this discussion about Auburn's NC run last year. :O

sperry
2/19/2011, 01:42 PM

The only thing that could affect them is if they have to vacate their national title. Auburn is a joke, and Chizik is not a good coach. They had maybe the most dominant player in CFB history and he led them to a national title. Without him they'll be back to an 8-4 team year in, year out.

BigJerm7
2/19/2011, 03:14 PM
i've got some trees that guy can come kill.

Sabanball
2/19/2011, 07:54 PM
My guess is in the next month or so we will get an article about the NCAA investigating the recruitment of Dakota Mosely and Micheal Dyer, and then an hour later Auburn will announce someone poisoned the eagle.;)

soonerbub
2/19/2011, 08:17 PM
I think a good solid punishment is to have the guy chop wood for 100 hours--on top of a big fat fine.