PDA

View Full Version : time to start the garden

OUHOMER
2/16/2011, 06:31 PM
just scraped the garden area, will start turning the dirt maybe this weekend. throw out some fertilizer. turn it a couple more times and maybe plant some onions and potatoes in about 2 weeks.

I think I read the last average frost is mid March.

who else is planting this year

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 06:40 PM
Momma is. We usually wait until at least March though. Onion sets, taters, radishes, brocolli, cauliflower. In that order.

Mongo
2/16/2011, 06:43 PM
Radish? Who in the hell eats them? Or maybe you like to garnish every meal with a turnip cut like a rose.

OUHOMER
2/16/2011, 06:45 PM
hell, i have a hard time getting from the garden to house, I will end up pulling a few and eating while I tend the garden

Sooner5030
2/16/2011, 06:47 PM
I started planting last weekend.....I keep them indoors until the third week of march and then transplant them to the garden. So far just onions, cherry tomatoes, big boys, better boys, cucumbers and next week SWEET potatoes.

yummy

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 06:48 PM
Radish? Who in the hell eats them? Or maybe you like to garnish every meal with a turnip cut like a rose.

Know how I know you're gay?

ooh ooh the wadish is too hot...

Mongo
2/16/2011, 06:51 PM
Know how I know you're gay?

ooh ooh the wadish is too hot...

dont take it out on me. It's not my fault you plant weird foods.

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 07:10 PM
Dude, momma makes these radish sammiches, seriously, bread, radishes cut in half, salt, pepper, a buttload of butter. You haven't lived till you ate one of those. She learned it from her granny who died last year at 98 years old. Try it.

Mongo
2/16/2011, 07:22 PM
well, I dont think the apartment complex I live in would think to kindly of me planting a few rows of radishes.

do you know why my grandma and Mrs. Dean's granny ate stuff like that? Cause they had to:D

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 07:30 PM
But they lived to 90 dude. Check it out.

achiro
2/16/2011, 07:42 PM
I put together 3 raised beds last year, the topsoil I used pretty much sucked and compacted down and we didn't get much yield. I've been amending the soil since last fall. Also, I had a compost bin going all year though and am planning on turning that, a pile of leaves, and some mowed straw into the beds in the next few days. I'm going to try to make a frame cover with clear plastic for one of the beds and try some early lettuce. Not enough room for potatoes but will get some onion sets in in a couple of weeks.

87sooner
2/16/2011, 11:26 PM
home grown veggies are like a little slice of heaven...
nothing better than new potatoes....fresh broccoli....cukes...
corn on the cob....tomatoes....green beans...
snap peas...zuchini....
i just hope it's a decent summer....last year was brutal....after july 4th....everything just cooked in the 100+ heat and no rain for 2 months...

SOONER44EVER
2/16/2011, 11:34 PM
Cherry tomatos going in soon. MMMMM. When do I put pre-emergent on my yard and what should I use? I can't afford to pay someone to spray a 1 acre lot anymore. :(

87sooner
2/16/2011, 11:57 PM
Cherry tomatos going in soon. MMMMM. When do I put pre-emergent on my yard and what should I use? I can't afford to pay someone to spray a 1 acre lot anymore. :(

where do you live?
wayyyyyyyyyyy too soon for tomatoes in oklahoma....

i get my crabgrass preventer from atwoods....
lowes prolly has it too...
granular stuff that comes in about 20 pound bags....
i live in northern ok....i spread mine on first couple weeks in march...

SOONER44EVER
2/17/2011, 12:06 AM
where do you live?
wayyyyyyyyyyy too soon for tomatoes in oklahoma....

i get my crabgrass preventer from atwoods....
lowes prolly has it too...
granular stuff that comes in about 20 pound bags....
i live in northern ok....i spread mine on first couple weeks in march...

Ya. I meant the tomatos will be going in in late March early April. Do they have a pre-emergent for all kinds of weeds?

87sooner
2/17/2011, 12:19 AM
Ya. I meant the tomatos will be going in in late March early April. Do they have a pre-emergent for all kinds of weeds?

good question.....
i usually just mix up some round-up and 2-4-d in a hand sprayer to kill the broadleaves before the bermuda greens up...
the pre-emerge is usually for just crabgrass...
you can also get the weed & feed that will kill broadleaves...that usually takes multiple applications throughout the summer to do a good job...
not sure if there's an actual pre-emerge for broadleaves...
i use atrazine on my fields but i don't know if that's approved for lawns...

SanJoaquinSooner
2/17/2011, 01:33 AM
mushroom compost.

dwarthog
2/17/2011, 07:48 AM
Definitely getting time to start prepping the garden for spring!

Hopefully my compost piles are doing their job and I will have some available to till into the soil.!

olevetonahill
2/17/2011, 09:50 AM
Id have a garden , If i could find some Illegals to work it fer cheap

delhalew
2/17/2011, 09:58 AM
Bought a new place in November. I got a lot of work to do. I got to put in a lawn and start a garden. I better go buy a tiller.

delhalew
2/17/2011, 09:59 AM
Id have a garden , If i could find some Illegals to work it fer cheap

Call Homey:D. He has a whole crew.

unbiasedtruth
2/17/2011, 12:28 PM
potato and onions are in. radishes, carrots, leafy green seeds planted. have my tomoto, eggplant and pepper plants sprouted and seedlings. will wait another 7-10 days befor planting, then as usual jump start the seedlings by putting a piece of 2mm plastic over the rows and sealing with dirt around the edges. (think one long pup tent for them. as long as it doesnt get to cold they will be fine and I usually have tomatoes and peppers weeks before anybody else. if it get cold then I just plug an electric light in and around the plants to keep from getting to cold. will wait to plant the squash, melon, beans. compost and mulch is your friend the garden.

guys and gals if this is your 1st garden have your soil tested by you local ag agent. this will help you know what type of soil you have and what you need to do to make it productive for what you want to grow.

I grew up on cedar lane, between se 36th and 48th. dad and another man had a 2 1/2 acre garden below the pond back in the day and sold veggies to all the local store long before farmer markets were around. His friend's brother had land 2 miles north of franklin where they had about 60 acres of melons.

cant tell you how many days I spent workign with them in both places....

unbiasedtruth
2/17/2011, 12:28 PM
Call Homey:D. He has a whole crew.

dang Juan cant hook you up.....

KantoSooner
2/17/2011, 12:38 PM
Scraping the raised beds and buying the mushroom mulch this weekend. Will be in the ground with tomatoes (big boys and plum), lettuce and chard, banana peppers, cayenne, okra, bell peppers and cucumbers by end of April. Probably more bell peppers after the leafy stuff goes through harvest in June.

Then there are the herb barrels.

I really don't like to be inside much between April and November.

KuppiKunta
2/17/2011, 03:59 PM

I'd do it in early March, and no later than March 15th. Find something that has Balan as the active ingredient. If you really want it to work, you should have put some down in December as well. I put it on my yard in March, June, Sept. and Dec. No weed problems for me!

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 04:05 PM
When I'm spraying pasture I just cut a lap closer to the house and spray it with Grazon and Remedy. Momma has to cover all the **** she doesn't want to die though (rose of sharon, bushes, flowers, her garden, etc.).