PDA

View Full Version : Not your grandpa's Monopoly

3rdgensooner
2/16/2011, 12:15 PM
No Dice, No Money, No Cheating. Are You Sure This Is Monopoly? (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/business/16monopoly.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1&hp)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/02/16/business/16MONOPOLY/16MONOPOLY-articleLarge.jpg
A tower for the new Monopoly oversees players’ assets, the game’s pace and its rules.

You can still collect $200 when you pass “Go,” but not in piles of play money.
In the new version of Monopoly, the game’s classic pastel-colored bills and the designated Banker have been banished, along with other old-fashioned elements, in favor of a computer that runs the game.

Hasbro (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/hasbro_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org) showed a preview of the new version, called Monopoly Live, at this week’s Toy Fair in New York. It is the classic Monopoly board on the outside, with the familiar railroads like the B.& O. and the development of property. But in the center, instead of dice and Chance and Community Chest cards, an infrared tower with a speaker issues instructions, keeps track of money and makes sure players adhere to the rules. The all-knowing tower even watches over advancing the proper number of spaces.

Hasbro hopes the computerized Monopoly will appeal to a generation raised on video games amid a tough market for traditional board games, a category where sales declined 9 percent in 2010, according to (http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110127.html) the market-research firm NPD Group. “How do we give them the video game and the board game with the social experience? That’s where Monopoly Live came in,” said Jane Ritson-Parsons, global brand leader for Monopoly.

With free digital games everywhere, Hasbro is hoping to revive interest among young children and preteenagers in several of its games that cost money. (The new Monopoly, available in the fall, will be about $50). Battleship will undergo a similar digital upgrade this year, and other Hasbro games will be redesigned for 2012 and 2013, Ms. Ritson-Parsons said.

But for families used to arguing over Monopoly’s rules, players who slip a $100 bill under the board for later use and friends who gleefully demand rent from one another, it may not be so easy to adapt to a computer’s presence on the board.

“It seems that there’s a computer that makes most of the decisions for you — it changes a lot of the rules, it removes a lot of the skill,” said Ken Koury, a competitive Monopoly player and coach who informally settles (http://kenkoury.com/monopoly.htm) rule disputes for others. “With this computer, I’m wondering what’s left for the player to decide — is it they just keep pushing buttons and wait for someone to win?”

Hasbro is aiming at luring 8- to 12-year-olds back to these board games. Its executives say this age group, accustomed to video games, wants a fast-paced game that requires using their hands. To move forward on the new Monopoly board, players cover their game piece with their hands, and the tower announces how many spaces the player can move. Players also hold their hands over decals to buy or sell properties, insert “bank cards” into slots to check their accounts, and send a plastic car moving around a track to win money or other advantages (only when the tower instructs them to, of course).

Lawton4Life
2/16/2011, 12:20 PM
Has a game of monopoly ever actually been finished? Dont most of them end with the board being flipped over in anger or everyone passing out due to boredom?

yermom
2/16/2011, 12:23 PM
i really hate that game

soonerchk
2/16/2011, 12:24 PM
Has a game of monopoly ever actually been finished? Dont most of them end with the board being flipped over in anger or everyone passing out due to boredom?

Or a dog running through and scrambling the hotels.

And doesn't everyone have their own set of rules? I have no idea what the real rules are, but I know the rules my family used. Anything else is just wrong.

Wishboned
2/16/2011, 12:32 PM
What they're not telling you is that the bank charges you a fee, in game, for completing all of these transactions.

And if a player has to go bankrupt, he can work out a deal with the bank so that his bonus from passing Go will not be affected, or part of the bankruptcy.

jkjsooner
2/16/2011, 12:38 PM
If you're going to have a computer control the game, why even play it on a board? Why not just play it on a computer? Maybe there are some nostalgic or social reasons to keep the board around...

Yep, I never liked that game. My brother liked it and risk and I would get bored too fast. He'd almost force me to start playing and then when I wanted to quit he'd get mom to force me to continue until completion - which would be fine if I wasn't coerced into beginning the game in the first place.

jkjsooner
2/16/2011, 12:40 PM
What they're not telling you is that the bank charges you a fee, in game, for completing all of these transactions.

And if a player has to go bankrupt, he can work out a deal with the bank so that his bonus from passing Go will not be affected, or part of the bankruptcy.

Are there government bailouts too?

KuppiKunta
2/16/2011, 01:27 PM
The computer will just kill all the back handed, side deals, and partnerships to screw over one of your opponents? Seriously, who plays the game by the "official rules" anyway?

Lawton4Life
2/16/2011, 01:34 PM
I remember playing monopoly at a friends house at quite a young age and i was just AGAHST that they were putting the money in the middle for a free parking jackpot. THATS NOT IN THE RULES!!! That was my first introduction to house rules monopoly.

We bought the kids one that has a debit card instead of money...it hasnt been opened. In the store I said to the wife, so now they can be bored AND learn to be frivilous with credit at the same time? SIGN ME UP

They're still selling SOONEROPOLY at Balfour arent they? I wonder how many closed places are on there. Can I put a hotel on Liberty Ds?

badger
2/16/2011, 01:34 PM
I think we can all admit that we have cheated in some way shape or form in a past game of Monopoly, even if that cheating was just getting tons of cash and properties out of a very one-sided deal. The game was called MONOPOLY, after all.

I think some parents should be a little upset over this transformation. Monopoly didn't just teach kids to horde away their money to prevent themselves from spending it, it also taught some basic math skills along the way. How many houses can you afford? How much change should you get back after paying that $2 Mediterranean Ave rent with a $500 bill? Is that green property for two light blue properties a fair trade?

Long post short, BOOOOO

soonerchk
2/16/2011, 01:48 PM
I learned to count thanks to Monopoly and Blackjack.

Wishboned
2/16/2011, 01:58 PM
Are there government bailouts too?

Only if you own Boardwalk, Park Place, or the railroads.

KantoSooner
2/16/2011, 02:00 PM
What you need to do is to link games: Monopoly plus Global War plus poker plus Life plus Jenga, for instance. The trick is to create a common currency so that, say $500 monopoly can buy you an armored division at your HQ in Berlin.
You have one kick *** game and one that can last for an entire summer vacation.
Or until hopeless alcoholism kicks in.