PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio/Video Breakout room help needed?!?!

rekamrettuB
2/16/2011, 09:52 AM
OK electronic buffs. I'm moving all my A/V stuff to a break out closet. I need a run of 20-25' so not too bad. Here's what I've found so far:

Smarthome 59501 Hidden IR Repeater System, Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KASVDG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's what the Smarthome page says I need to extend the Repeater:

50ft Emitter and IR Sensor Extension Cable

http://www.smarthome.com/8186/Xantech-Emitter-and-IR-Sensor-Extension-Cable-784-00/p.aspx

The above looks like 3.5 mm Male/Female Stereo Audio Extension Cable. Is there a difference in cable between an "IR Sensor Extension Cable" and a "Stereo Audio Extension Cable"? I would much rather have a run of 25' than 50' if I could. Problem I see here is I need 4 25' runs because these cables extend the emitters and not the repeater box.

Now, next question: as hinted above I would rather extend the repeater box once instead of all 4 emitter cables. The repeater box, per Smarthome page, has an IR Receiver with six foot cord and 4-pin DIN connector. The 4-pin DIN connector is nothing more than an S-Video cable from what I could find. Why couldn't I just get a 25' S-Video cable and extend the repeater box and save a bunch of unnecessary cables?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to this project.

rekamrettuB
2/16/2011, 04:18 PM
Bump

Nobody? :confused:

OklaPony
2/16/2011, 04:57 PM
I can't answer your question about the S-vid cable but the 1/8" TRS extension cable is just as you suggest. I carry a decent quality 15' version but it's about $13.00. Since audio quality is of no concern for you these seem like a decent deal even if you need 4. I think the real question is whether or not that DIN cable is actually an S-vid. If so then that would make for a much more elegant solution.

rekamrettuB
2/16/2011, 05:30 PM
I can't answer your question about the S-vid cable but the 1/8" TRS extension cable is just as you suggest. I carry a decent quality 15' version but it's about $13.00. Since audio quality is of no concern for you these seem like a decent deal even if you need 4. I think the real question is whether or not that DIN cable is actually an S-vid. If so then that would make for a much more elegant solution.

I think I may go ahead and purchase the repeater system and see what that DIN cable is and, if it is an S-video, try some that I have on hand.

I appreciate your use of the word "elegant". Thank you very much for the insight.

RacerX
2/16/2011, 07:56 PM
Check monoprice.com

sooneron
2/17/2011, 11:08 AM
I guess someone had to figure out a use for S Video cable!