PDA

View Full Version : Blevins actually has an interesting article

Salt City Sooner
2/15/2011, 06:11 PM
http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=34379

Mike Stoops
2/15/2011, 06:17 PM
Teddy Lehman is from Fort Gibson. They still have a sign in his honor when you enter the city limits.

jumperstop
2/15/2011, 06:18 PM
But, but, but....I thought OU can only win with Texas players

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 07:55 PM
1. 2010-Ryan Broyles, Norman
2. 2009- Gerald McCoy, OKC
3. 2008-Sam Bradford, Putnam City North
4. 2008-Jermaine Gresham, Ardmore
5. 2007 –Curtis Lofton, Kingfisher
6. 2004-Dan Cody, Ardmore
7. 2004-’03-Jammal Brown, Lawton
8. 2003-Jason White, Tuttle
9. 2003-Antonio Perkins, Lawton
10. 2003-’02-Teddy Lehman
11. 2001—’00-Rocky Calmus, Jenks
12. 2001-Jeff Ferguson, Tulsa
13. 2000-J.T. Thatcher, Norman

Putnam North was so freaking lucky. Seriously.

BTW they didnt win State with him, another NFL player, and a starter at Texas A&M.

What a joke.

I Am Right
2/15/2011, 08:05 PM
wow

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2011, 08:09 PM
Teddy Lehman is from Fort Gibson. They still have a sign in his honor when you enter the city limits.

Actually, they renamed the stretch of highway from about OG&E to the first light on Lee street after him.

Mike Stoops
2/15/2011, 08:15 PM
Actually, they renamed the stretch of highway from about OG&E to the first light on Lee street after him.

Yeah that's what I meant. I have family in the Muskogee/Tahlequah area so I pass through it several times a year.

SoonerShay
2/15/2011, 08:34 PM
Players from Oklahoma also have one of the highest bust rates on our team. I think only Illinois being worse in the Stoops era. I think Illinois had a 100% bust rate.

Partial Qualifier
2/15/2011, 08:49 PM
Putnam North was so freaking lucky. Seriously.

BTW they didnt win State with him, another NFL player, and a starter at Texas A&M.

What a joke.

Trying to make sense of this..

Football's a team sport, it takes a little more than 3 D1-caliber players to win a state title in 6a. So, how was that a joke? And how was PCN lucky?

:confused:

CrimsonJim
2/15/2011, 08:50 PM
Hrrmmmm...interestink article.

Partial Qualifier
2/15/2011, 08:51 PM
So does OU’s success of high school players from the state of Oklahoma mean Stoops should sign more state players? Or does it mean his theory of recruiting nationally and signing the best players in Oklahoma is working out exactly the way he expected.

I'd go with the latter, there, Deano.

Salt City Sooner
2/15/2011, 08:58 PM
Players from Oklahoma also have one of the highest bust rates on our team. I think only Illinois being worse in the Stoops era. I think Illinois had a 100% bust rate.
Wouldn't be difficult. Moe & Millington are the only 2 we've pulled from there unless I'm missing someone.

toast
2/15/2011, 09:05 PM
Wouldn't be difficult. Moe & Millington are the only 2 we've pulled from there unless I'm missing someone.

Did Chris Patterson ever make it to campus or did he go directly to NEO?

Also, it would be interesting to compare how many Oklahoma kids made all-american at a school other than OU during Stoops' tenure.

MamaMia
2/15/2011, 09:20 PM
SCOREBOARD! :D

Soonermagik
2/15/2011, 09:25 PM
Did Chris Patterson ever make it to campus or did he go directly to NEO?

Also, it would be interesting to compare how many Oklahoma kids made all-american at a school other than OU during Stoops' tenure.

Chirs "Smoke" Patterson never made it here.

boomersooner28
2/16/2011, 09:00 AM
Interesting

Mad Dog Madsen
2/16/2011, 10:04 AM
Wish we could have gotten Josh Turner this year BUT, that Bennett Okotcha kid is somethin else. I think he's only 3 stars or whatever (not that it even matters) but I'm tellin you this kid will be special. Just wait and see...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2011, 10:50 AM
heh, the only "top" player in the state that made the list is gerald mccoy who arguably wasn't the best player in his class either (it had gresham at 2 and bradford at 6).

CobraKai
2/16/2011, 10:57 AM
But, but, but....I thought OU can only win with Texas players

Correct. We can't win without Texas players. That does not mean we have to have ALL Texas players or even a majority of Texas players, but I highly doubt we could win if we didn't have a large number of Texas players. The fact is there are only ~3.5 million people in Oklahoma. That doesn't mean we won't have some players as good as anyone in the country year in and year out, it just means we probably won't have enough of them to field an elite team.

SoonerShay
2/16/2011, 10:59 AM
heh, the only "top" player in the state that made the list is gerald mccoy who arguably wasn't the best player in his class either (it had gresham at 2 and bradford at 6).

Wasn't Lofton the top player in the state too? Or am I remembering wrong?

Mad Dog Madsen
2/16/2011, 11:02 AM

What?!? GK was definitely the best in that class... OU signed 8 of the top 10 players from the state that year which is aso interesting.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1359

sperry
2/16/2011, 11:21 AM

I think it might have been Reggie Smith, although in hindsight, Curtis should have been the choice.

cantwait48
2/16/2011, 11:23 AM
"Chirs "Smoke" Patterson never made it here"

he was here, he was just so quick you couldn't see him

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2011, 11:55 AM
He needs an editor.

OUEngr1990
2/16/2011, 01:19 PM
Oklahoma grown players play with more passion, because they grow up rooting for OU. I'd play my guts out too for OU given the opportunity. Other teams, not so much.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2011, 01:47 PM
What?!? GK was definitely the best in that class... OU signed 8 of the top 10 players from the state that year which is aso interesting.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1359

you did see that sam bradford was in that class right?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2011, 01:52 PM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-932

yeah, i guess he moved up at the end. i know for most of the season it was dillard at the top. honestly, the best out of that class was #4 though - that guy made AA even with 2 other NFL running backs in the same backfield.

Mad Dog Madsen
2/16/2011, 02:39 PM
you did see that sam bradford was in that class right?

Yes I did. And coming out of high school GK was the best in that class of 2006. Now, if you want to add college and NFL career then I guess you'd be right and can have your way...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2011, 02:49 PM
Yes I did. And coming out of high school GK was the best in that class of 2006. Now, if you want to add college and NFL career then I guess you'd be right and can have your way...

sorry, my intention in the first statement was this:

of the player predicted by the gurus to be the best player out of the state of oklahoma that year, the number that actually made AA was X.

i then pointed out the anomaly of GK in that while he was an AA, he "arguably" didn't end up as the best in his class. that was why when you said he was "clearly" the best, i asked if you realized that bradford was in that class.

the reason that i go with this line of reasoning is that most fans do not equate high school rankings with "the best football player at the end of their senior season". they equate it with "the guy who should naturally be the superstar at the next level".

as such the guru #1 player in the state is not exactly a coveted position if you want to be a good college player (it is better than it was).

Mad Dog Madsen
2/16/2011, 02:56 PM
NO!!! GK is still the best ever!!! :D ...Naw, I getcha now though. Thanks for the clarification.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/16/2011, 03:17 PM
Dan Cody is from Ada

Just thought I would throw that out there

BoulderSooner79
2/16/2011, 04:02 PM
I don't think it was luck that PCN had Sam Bradford - his dad went to the original Putnam City (before North existed). Family just stayed in the area.

oudavid1
2/16/2011, 09:07 PM
Trying to make sense of this..

Football's a team sport, it takes a little more than 3 D1-caliber players to win a state title in 6a. So, how was that a joke? And how was PCN lucky?

:confused:

its a long story. They should have won. They lost to Edmond Sante Fe once because they called 4 straight passes from 1st and goal on the 1. All out of shotgun. 3 players quit after that game(1 was a starter). And someone who played said ( i dont know if i believe this) that the OC said "sorry guys, i wasnt prepared for that situation"

I don't think it was luck that PCN had Sam Bradford - his dad went to the original Putnam City (before North existed). Family just stayed in the area.

Well i understand that, PCN is lucky Ken went to PC i guess. Sam would have been a star where ever he went. Sam Bradford was a 6'4 3 star recruit, 2 years later, Heisman winner. And he didnt thank one high school coach. I know why.

SeattleOUstudent
2/17/2011, 12:49 AM
Dan Cody from Ardmore? News to me. I think that means I would have graduated with him. :) Not the case

Dan Cody is from Ada. Ardmore-Lite.

Do some research, Deano.

oudavid1
2/17/2011, 01:05 AM
Dan Cody from Ardmore? News to me. I think that means I would have graduated with him. :) Not the case

Dan Cody is from Ada. Ardmore-Lite.

Do some research, Deano.

lol nice.

OUmillenium
2/18/2011, 10:47 AM
Great article, thanks for the link. Ammo to fire at whorns who try to take credit for our success

OUmillenium
2/18/2011, 10:49 AM
its a long story. They should have won. They lost to Edmond Sante Fe once because they called 4 straight passes from 1st and goal on the 1. All out of shotgun. 3 players quit after that game(1 was a starter). And someone who played said ( i dont know if i believe this) that the OC said "sorry guys, i wasnt prepared for that situation"

Well i understand that, PCN is lucky Ken went to PC i guess. Sam would have been a star where ever he went. Sam Bradford was a 6'4 3 star recruit, 2 years later, Heisman winner. And he didnt thank one high school coach. I know why.

wow, heavy stuff

OUthunder
2/18/2011, 11:22 AM
I wonder what Blevins would be doing if he hadn't played qb at OU. Personally, I think he'd be working the drive-thru at Wendys.

TMcGee86
2/18/2011, 12:33 PM
Mark Clayton was born in OKC.

He should have been included, I don't care where he played HS ball.