PDA

View Full Version : $3.02 officially today.

OULenexaman
2/15/2011, 05:28 PM
So when does it stop going up and when does it start to go back down? Them new electric cars are lookin better by the day....

How much is gas in your neighborhood??

Sooner5030
2/15/2011, 05:30 PM
Them new electric cars are lookin better by the day....

Until you have temps like the last few weeks. Where do they get the energy to provide heat.....and how efficient are those batteries at 6 degrees?

[not a rhetorical question]

Bourbon St Sooner
2/15/2011, 05:32 PM
Are you talking about gasoline? According to our President that's yesterday's energy. Why are you still using that? The gov't sponsored Fred Flintstone roadster should be out any day now.

OUMallen
2/15/2011, 05:50 PM
So when does it stop going up and when does it start to go back down? Them new electric cars are lookin better by the day....

Not going to go down for a while, if ever. All the problems we had regarding gasoline that existed 4 years ago exist now and existed during the entire interim. It was an artificial depression in prices to match the world economy's depression, and also only a temporary decrease in demand in the US due to the economy.

The gas price problem was never solved. It just deflated for a period.

texaspokieokie
2/15/2011, 05:53 PM
oil has gone down about $% in the last week.

badger
2/15/2011, 06:18 PM
$2.87 here in Tulsa when we filled 'er up yesterday.

It was once thought that people would never stop driving, regardless of the gas prices. I think we all saw that isn't necessarily the case for everyone, especially those with tight family budgets. However, it will not turn people to electric or hybrid cars. Those gimmicks are far too pricey compared to the cost of gas.

jumperstop
2/15/2011, 06:21 PM
It was about $2.90 something last time I filled up. I tend not to look, as I can afford to. I have to drive so no need worrying about how much it cost me to get places...

yermom
2/15/2011, 06:23 PM
enough people need to adopt them because it's a good idea before they become viable

oh and try more like $3.30 if you need premium like i do :mad:

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 06:31 PM
I filled up a government car for like 2.99/gallon this afternoon . . .

Sooner5030
2/15/2011, 06:33 PM
$3.24 for diesel at my location. But I currently live 4 miles from work.

yermom
2/15/2011, 06:43 PM
yeah, i think i generally buy gas a little more than once a month on average, so it's not too bad

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 07:07 PM
Funny, since January 2009 there hasn't been a peep from the media regarding this. Gas has been going up and up and what do you hear? *crickets*

Mongo
2/15/2011, 07:11 PM
As a person that works in the oil and gas industry, I think I can speak for the rest of us by saying you will pay 3 smokes a gallon and you will like it

oumartin
2/15/2011, 07:14 PM
There is plenty supply to meet the demand. It's BS to think otherwise.

Although I don't like the price of gas they are just doing what you are allowing them to do. The price will go up until you quit buying it.

soonercruiser
2/15/2011, 09:07 PM
Homeland station was $2.87 regular yesterday.
Up to $2.99 this morning!! :eek:

Boarder
2/15/2011, 09:45 PM
Funny, since January 2009 there hasn't been a peep from the media regarding this. Gas has been going up and up and what do you hear? *crickets*
The reason is twofold. First, it got so high a few years ago that it is not as shocking to everyone. Second, the rise has been more steady and slow instead of (seemingly) all at once. People just have not noticed it as much.

I think it will get to the point where people freak out again and stop buying SUVs and trucks like last time. Thankfully for the car companies, they have changed their focus away from so much reliance on the big vehicles and may fare better.

In response to the electric car in the cold question, Cars.com has been testing a new Chevy Volt for the past month or two in very cold climate. The only real problem is that the batteries stay warm, which attracted a wire chewing rodent (http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/02/carscom-chevy-volt-rodent-redux.html) that sought refuge from the chill.

KC//CRIMSON
2/15/2011, 09:51 PM

Officially where? I Like Lenexa

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 10:35 PM
The reason is twofold. First, it got so high a few years ago that it is not as shocking to everyone. Second, the rise has been more steady and slow instead of (seemingly) all at once. People just have not noticed it as much.

I think it will get to the point where people freak out again and stop buying SUVs and trucks like last time. Thankfully for the car companies, they have changed their focus away from so much reliance on the big vehicles and may fare better.

In response to the electric car in the cold question, Cars.com has been testing a new Chevy Volt for the past month or two in very cold climate. The only real problem is that the batteries stay warm, which attracted a wire chewing rodent (http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/02/carscom-chevy-volt-rodent-redux.html) that sought refuge from the chill.

No I was talking about...

"We have a situation where we have two oilmen in the White House, and we have gasoline at over $3 a gallon. Surprise, surprise."

"And I'm here to say that when the oilmen, George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, strode into town, the showdown began between Big Oil and the consumer. Big Oil won."

“When you’re spending over $50 to fill up your car because the price of oil is four times what it was before Iraq, you’re paying a price for this war,”

Rising oil prices = economic growth (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Oil-climbs-above-92-rb-419537177.html?x=0)

Eh, who am I kidding? I'm probably just imagining a bias that isn't there.

oumartin
2/15/2011, 10:40 PM
Obviously Obama can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Once he gets done walking on water he'll get on that gas price problem

SunnySooner
2/16/2011, 11:03 AM
$3.16 here in Jax, FL. I drive a big SUV, so it's painful to fillup, but luckily almost all of the places I go on a weekly basis are within 5 miles of my house, so I can usually go 3 weeks or so between tanks.

kbsooner21
2/16/2011, 11:18 AM
I spent $350 last month on gasoline.

soonerbrat
2/16/2011, 11:32 AM
$3.06 near my house, but that's for the ethanol free stuff. dont know what the ethanol stuff costs.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 12:20 PM
$3.06 near my house, but that's for the ethanol free stuff. dont know what the ethanol stuff costs.

ethanol stuff is crap.

OULenexaman
2/16/2011, 01:22 PM
just filled up the Camry.....it was $3.009 at QT at 75th and Switzer.....50 bucks even....10% ethanol. I know those can't be Johnsonville brats like they claim there....they taste like ****.

badger
2/16/2011, 01:26 PM
$3.009.

Those nine-tenths of a cent don't escape your watchful eyes, do they? :D

OULenexaman
2/16/2011, 01:31 PM
what the hell is the stupid nine-tenths for anyway??.....I think I learned it once here but forgot....

badger
2/16/2011, 01:54 PM
what the hell is the stupid nine-tenths for anyway??.....I think I learned it once here but forgot....

probably gas taxes, but might also be why so many places used to charge 99 cents (or tacking 99 cents onto the price) for everything.

Flagstaffsooner
2/16/2011, 02:20 PM
3.36 in Flagpole AZ:cry:

unbiasedtruth
2/16/2011, 02:27 PM
bumped from 2.88 to 2.98 here on the lakeshores from yesterday morning to last night. saw places already at 2.98 yesterday morning. got out the bicycle again today to make a trip to the store. even though its less than 2.5 miles roundtrip

badger
2/16/2011, 02:35 PM
Back during the Clinton years (that's the only time reference I have, not that it was Clinton's fault or anything), I remember mom complaining when the gas prices, that had sat in the $1.20 range for years (at least a dozen years) in northeastern Wisconsin had jumped to the $1.30 range. Mom exclaims "That's terrible!"

Doing the math in retrospect, it meant mommy dearest was only paying a dollar more or so every few weeks. Boo hoo.

Later in HS years, near the turn of the millenium, gas prices jumped permanently to $1.50 range, even getting up to $1.99 at one point.

My parents were the type that would go to the station with the gas with one penny less prices, squeezing the pump a little bit at the end to try to get a few more drops of gas out of the same price.

I was amazed, coming down here to Oklahoma for the first time, that you guys had $0.89 gas. That was absolutely unheard of up north.

cccasooner2
2/16/2011, 05:02 PM
ethanol stuff is crap.

Un-American. Usn in corn country thank y'all. We be even startin to talk like youse.

yermom
2/16/2011, 05:02 PM
i remember being ticked when i was in high school when gas hit triple digits

it was awesome when it was $.89 again for a while

now i'd be happy with $2.50 gas...

i paid $3.99 this summer in California :mad:

it was premium though

yermom
2/16/2011, 05:03 PM
Un-American. Usn in corn country thank y'all. We be even startin to talk like youse.

i'm really starting to dislike the corn lobby

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 05:10 PM
i can remember being pissed when it went to 40 cents. i had a new chevy convert which never got more than 15 (road) mpg.

$3 will kill the US economy. that is, with all the other crap going on.
that plus $3.25 diesel. as we all know, everything there is is hauled
a certain distance by an 18 wheeler, burning diesel.

if gas hadn't come back down from $$4 ;our economy would be dead by now.JMHO

also, look what high fuel prices do to airlines.
everything has to cost more !!!

pphilfran
2/16/2011, 05:15 PM
I remember it hitting 30 cents...and gas wars when service stations would undercut the station across the street until they were basically giving it away...

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 05:16 PM
me too.

cccasooner2
2/16/2011, 05:27 PM
I remember .20/gal in CA during gas wars of 1969. Fierce battles but most deaths from it occurred within 10 miles of home, kinda like now. Oh well.

In high school, $1.00 of gas and 2 quarts of oil took you through the weekend. :D

pphilfran
2/16/2011, 05:30 PM
I remember .20/gal in CA during gas wars of 1969. Fierce battles but most deaths from it occurred within 10 miles of home, kinda like now. Oh well.

In high school, $1.00 of gas and 2 quarts of oil took you through the weekend. :D

"Check the gas and fill up the oil."

bonkuba
2/16/2011, 05:33 PM
ethanol stuff is crap.

100% Agree......makes most of my vehicles run like crap and the mileage actually goes down a little on the one it seems to run OK on. Also makes the John Deere run like crap.....the Harley hates it as well. I go out of my way to buy from stations that state "100% Gas Here!!".

Some folks might say "It helps the Farmers".....Bull****. All it does is drive up the cost of corn...which in turn drives up feed...then your food, etc,etc.

These stupid ****ers are never gonna wake up. Even if we diverted all harvest from the US it wouldn't even dent the usage. Just another stupid thing to "create jobs" I guess.

Believe it or not I dont blame Obama...I blame every politician that has anything to do with this ****.

2/17/2011, 02:26 AM
$3.54 in Sacramento.

OUthunder
2/17/2011, 10:56 AM
$3.54 in Sacramento.

Ouch. I'll not complain about $2.87. :mad:

texas bandman
2/17/2011, 12:52 PM
Jumped from $2.91 t0 $2.98 overnight here in Lubbock.

usaosooner
2/17/2011, 02:07 PM
Bio Diesel FTW

OULenexaman
2/23/2011, 05:32 PM
jumped up 3 hrs ago anywhere from 10 to 13 cents a gallon...3.19 at 66 to 3.23 at Shell...crude over $100. Here we go...

delhalew
2/23/2011, 05:40 PM
Bio Diesel FTW

Tell me you're not serious.

Sooner5030
2/23/2011, 05:40 PM
Bio Diesel FTW

too bad I can't use it in my 08.....I should have bought pre-common rail for both the mileage and the ability to run B100.

pphilfran
2/23/2011, 05:42 PM
jumped up 3 hrs ago anywhere from 10 to 13 cents a gallon...3.19 at 66 to 3.23 at Shell...crude over $100. Here we go...

I would imagine we will see the Libya oil fields go up in smoke...if they do that will be 2% of world oil production...just enough to tip the scale to where demand outstrips demand...it could get nasty...real nasty...bye, bye recovery...hello double dip...

badger
2/23/2011, 05:44 PM
Last time this happened, people changed their driving habits (or gas guzzlin' car habits). Hope that happens again.

In honor of gas prices once again being an arm and a leg, an old massive e-mail sent out that economists hate on, laugh at or just roll their eyes to. For entertainment only:

A man eats two eggs each morning for breakfast. When he goes to the
grocery store he pays .60 cents a dozen. Since a dozen eggs won't last a
week he normally buys two dozen at a time.

One day, while buying eggs he notices that the price has risen to 72
cents. The next time he buys groceries, eggs are .76 cents a dozen. When
asked to explain the price of eggs the store owner says, "the price has
gone up and I have to raise my price accordingly".

This store buys 100 dozen eggs a day. I checked around for a better
price and all the distributors have raised their prices. The
distributors have begun to buy from the huge egg farms. The small egg
farms have been driven out of business. The huge egg farms sells
100,000 dozen eggs a day to distributors. With no competition, they can
set the price as they see fit. The distributors then have to raise their
prices to the grocery stores. And on and on and on. As the man kept
buying eggs the price kept going up. He saw the big egg trucks
delivering 100 dozen eggs each day. Nothing changed there.

He checked out the huge egg farms and found they were selling 100,000
dozen eggs to the distributors daily. Nothing had changed but the price
of eggs.

The week before Thanksgiving the price of eggs shot up to $1.00 a dozen.
Again he asked the grocery owner why and was told, "cakes and baking for
the holiday". The huge egg farmers know there will be a lot of baking
going on and more eggs will be used. Hence, the price of eggs goes up.
Expect the same thing at Christmas and other times when family cooking,
baking, etc.happen.

This pattern continues until the price of eggs is 2.00 a dozen. The man
says,"there must be something we can do about the price of eggs".

He starts talking to all the people in his town and they decide to stop
buying eggs. This didn't work because everyone needed eggs. Finally, the
man suggested only buying what you need. He ate 2 eggs a day. So, on the
way home from work he would stop at the grocery and buy two eggs.
Everyone in town started buying just 2 or 3 eggs a day.

The grocery store owner began complaining that he had too many eggs in
his cooler. He told the distributor that he didn't need any eggs. Maybe
wouldn't need any all week.

The distributor had eggs piling up at his warehouse. He told the huge
egg farms that he didn't have any room for eggs... would not need any
for at least two weeks. At the egg farm, the chickens just kept on
laying eggs. To relieve the pressure, the huge egg farm told the
distributor that they could buy the eggs at a lower price. The
distributor said, " I don't have the room for the eggs even if they were
free".

The distributor told the grocery store owner that he would lower the
price of the eggs if the store would start buying again. The grocery
store owner said, "I don't have room for more eggs. The customers are
only buying 2 or 3 eggs at a time". "Now if you were to drop the price
of eggs back down to the original price, the customers would start
buying by the dozen again".

The distributors sent that proposal to the huge egg farmers. They liked
the price they were getting for their eggs but, them chickens just kept
on laying.

Finally, the egg farmers lowered the price of their eggs. But only a few
cents. The customers still bought 2 or 3 eggs at a time. They said,
"when the price of eggs gets down to where it was before, we will start
buying by the dozen." Slowly the price of eggs started dropping. The
distributors had to slash their prices to make room for the eggs coming
from the egg farmers. The egg farmers cut their prices because the
distributors wouldn't buy at a higher price than they were selling eggs
for. Anyway, they had full warehouses and wouldn't need eggs for quite
a while.

And them chickens kept on laying.

Eventually, the egg farmers cut their prices because they were throwing
away eggs they couldn't sell. The distributors started buying again
because the eggs were priced to where the stores could afford to sell
them at the lower price.

And the customers starting buying by the dozen again.

Now, transpose this analogy to the gasoline industry.

What if everyone only bought $10.00 worth of gas each time they pulled
to the pump. The dealers tanks would stay semi full all the time. The
dealers wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the huge tank farms.
The tank farms wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the refining
plants. And the refining plants wouldn't have room for the oil being off
loaded from the huge tankers coming from the Middle East.

Just $10.00 each time you buy gas. Don't fill 'er up. You may have to
stop for gas twice a week but, the price should come down.

Think about it.

As an added note...When I buy $10.00 worth of gas,that leaves my tank a
little under half full. The way prices are jumping around, you can buy
gas for $3.65 a gallon and then the next morning it can be $3.15. If you
have your tank full of $3.65 gas you don't have room for the $3.15 gas.
You might not understand the economics of only buying two eggs at a time
but, you can't buy cheaper gas if your tank is full of the high priced
stuff.

Also, don't buy anything else at the gas station, don't give them any
more of your hard earned money than what you spend on gas, until the
prices come down..
PASS IT ON

I still giggle about this. Hehe, gas would just come down if you only bought a little at a time :rolleyes:

Sooner5030
2/23/2011, 05:50 PM
I still giggle about this. Hehe, gas would just come down if you only bought a little at a time

The other side of the coin is you'll be the first to run outta fuel if there is ever a severe disruption. Weigh all the risks and make an informed decision.

soonerbrat
2/24/2011, 09:21 AM
$3.24 by my house now (no ethanol)

Turd_Ferguson
2/24/2011, 09:43 AM
My gas is free. I siphon it from my neighbors cars at night.

The Profit
2/24/2011, 09:56 AM
I would imagine we will see the Libya oil fields go up in smoke...if they do that will be 2% of world oil production...just enough to tip the scale to where demand outstrips demand...it could get nasty...real nasty...bye, bye recovery...hello double dip...

The military forces opposed to Qaddafi are supposedly protecting the oil fields. We'll see.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/24/2011, 10:00 AM
3.31 for Premium in Clear Lake Texas.

SoCaliSooner
2/24/2011, 10:24 AM
$4.09 in OC...

soonerbrat
2/24/2011, 10:41 AM
Just one more reason for me to move downtown this summer so I can walk to work.

SoonerJack
2/24/2011, 01:44 PM
We need to produce more of our own oil not less of it. #gulfdrillingonhold

SoCaliSooner
2/24/2011, 01:47 PM
We need to produce more of our own oil not less of it. #gulfdrillingonhold
We need to grow more corn-gas-corn...

oumartin
2/24/2011, 04:00 PM
Someone needs to slap OPEC then we need another Bush in the house pronto so we can go waste Gadhafi

soonerbrat
2/24/2011, 04:01 PM
We need to grow more corn-gas-corn...

my car will be mad about that.

Sooner5030
2/24/2011, 05:33 PM
diesel $3.38 as of today

I stopped driving the 1-ton and started taking the passat wagon to work. It's gasoline but gets like 23mpg in town. Of course I only drive about 4 miles to work. Looks like my planned RV trip to SE OK in May will suck though.

Tin Cup
2/24/2011, 07:48 PM
$3.19 OKC

SoCaliSooner
2/24/2011, 08:46 PM
$4.29...

Filled the wife's car this afternoon...

OULenexaman
3/4/2011, 03:18 PM
and now we are at 3.39 as the lowest I can find in KC...they is pizzin me off....

The Profit
3/4/2011, 03:27 PM
and now we are at 3.39 as the lowest I can find in KC...they is pizzin me off....

You are not really pizzed, yet. Wait until the 1st and 2nd quarter profits come in from the big oil companies. Then, you will really get steamed.

badger
3/4/2011, 04:08 PM
It was $3.39 for the non-ethanol, $3.25 for the ethanol mix in the Tulsa area last night.

Think someday they'll stop calling gas unleaded and go with unethanol instead?

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2011, 04:17 PM
You are not really pizzed, yet. Wait until the 1st and 2nd quarter profits come in from the big oil companies. Then, you will really get steamed.

Damn oil companies fomenting unrest in the ME to drive up oil prices. Will these guys stop at nothing?:mad:

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 04:18 PM
It was $3.39 for the non-ethanol, $3.25 for the ethanol mix in the Tulsa area last night.

Think someday they'll stop calling gas unleaded and go with unethanol instead?

yep; cause it's all been unleaded for many years.
worst thing they ever did to cars.

don't see as much ethanol mix here (tx) as in OK.don'y know why.

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:41 PM
Oh come now Profit, surely you can do better than that.

How about instead we look at their net profit margins and then compare them to say Apple or Google...

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 04:43 PM

Damn you George Bush!

IB4OU2
3/4/2011, 04:50 PM
Oh come now Profit, surely you can do better than that.

How about instead we look at their net profit margins and then compare them to say Apple or Google...

I can live without Apple or Google but I'm pretty much stuck with buying fuel.

There needs to be some kind of regulation on the cost of petroleum/gas products or we're going down the same road we did 3 years ago.

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:57 PM

There needs to be some kind of regulation on the cost of petroleum/gas products or we're going down the same road we did 3 years ago.

yeah because we didnt go down the government regulation road 30 years ago... :rolleyes:

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 04:59 PM

HOw do you suggest we regulate prices of crude? It is traded on a world wide basis...we will see many more price spikes over the next decade...

OUthunder
3/4/2011, 05:00 PM
$3.29 for regular unleaded in NW OKC. Uggggh.

yermom
3/4/2011, 05:14 PM
HOw do you suggest we regulate prices of crude? It is traded on a world wide basis...we will see many more price spikes over the next decade...

gas prices aren't all that correlated to oil prices

IB4OU2
3/4/2011, 05:25 PM

I'm sure all consumers here or world wide have concerns about how the price fluctuates through speculation...but I don't have a clue as how that can be regulated.

It was just a thought...

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2011, 05:32 PM

The only nations that can subsidize oil prices are those that produce more of it than they consume, and we haven't been there in 50 years.

Mixer!
3/4/2011, 05:39 PM
It needs to be said....

F*CK YOU, 1TC!!!

:D

HBick
3/4/2011, 05:42 PM
$4.19 in Palm Springs

yermom
3/4/2011, 05:44 PM
It needs to be said....

F*CK YOU, OutlandTrophy!!!

FTFY :D

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 05:51 PM
gas prices aren't all that correlated to oil prices

Data from EIA...crude supply (and perceived future supply) and crude prices drive fuel prices...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/gasoil.jpg

okie52
3/4/2011, 06:04 PM
They are now estimating that the Mississippi play in Northern OK may contain 10,000,000,000 barrels of oil. Multiply that by $100 a barrel and it looks rosy for OK.

okie52
3/4/2011, 06:06 PM

Makes me very happy.

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 06:08 PM
They are now estimating that the Mississippi play in Northern OK may contain 10,000,000,000 barrels of oil. Multiply that by $100 a barrel and it looks rosy for OK.

Yep, I saw your info on the other board...

The more in state the better...

okie52
3/4/2011, 06:11 PM

It is amazing how many people struggle with that concept.

yermom
3/4/2011, 06:31 PM
but the price is also manipulated by people with no interest in actually buying the oil

okie52
3/5/2011, 10:33 AM
but the price is also manipulated by people with no interest in actually buying the oil

And that would make oil different from other commodities?

87sooner
3/5/2011, 10:40 AM

and this is the crux of the problem...
commodity funds around the world with hundreds of billions of dollars are playing with paper....and the price of oil....
there have been zero cases.....that i know of....of supply issues.

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 11:04 AM
and this is the crux of the problem...
commodity funds around the world with hundreds of billions of dollars are playing with paper....and the price of oil....
there have been zero cases.....that i know of....of supply issues.

If there is an oversupply the price gets driven down...in this case the supply and demand are about equal and demand has been growing at a faster pace then supply...like it or not, when that happens the price will be bid up...

The same thing happens in the ag market...if there is a shortage of corn...the price will be bid up...sometimes more than it should be...

Only one way to stop the paper traders from driving up the price is to increase supply...

We can make all the changes we want to the US exchanges but the folks using exchanges outside the US will still be able to trade all they want...

badger
3/5/2011, 11:24 AM
NP and I started commuting together when the price neared $4 last time, then kept it up when it dropped back to $2-ish because it was fun.

You can't change the price of gas really... but everyone probably has one way or another that they can change their driving habits.

87sooner
3/5/2011, 12:13 PM
If there is an oversupply the price gets driven down...in this case the supply and demand are about equal and demand has been growing at a faster pace then supply...like it or not, when that happens the price will be bid up...

The same thing happens in the ag market...if there is a shortage of corn...the price will be bid up...sometimes more than it should be...

Only one way to stop the paper traders from driving up the price is to increase supply...

We can make all the changes we want to the US exchanges but the folks using exchanges outside the US will still be able to trade all they want...

this is true...but when you have hundreds of billions of dollars chasing paper contracts.....the price is driven up (and sometimes down)....artificially.....
there was NO reason for oil to trade at $140 a couple years ago...
these people/funds have NO intention of buying oil....they exist entirely to make money...
again....i have not experienced a single supply issue ...
if i want fuel...it is there...as much as i want...

yermom
3/5/2011, 12:20 PM

but with corn there isn't a second level of speculation, or prices that can change for the consumer at will

i also can avoid buying corn and still get to work

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 12:48 PM
For the 1st time since I've been a legal driver, I maxed out the $75 limit at a gas pump yesterday.

Not good.

waynepayne
3/5/2011, 12:56 PM
For the 1st time since I've been a legal driver, I maxed out the $75 limit at a gas pump yesterday.

Not good.

I feel ya. Last night I filled up the truck for $73.33.

The whole time I was staring at the CNG station sign of $1.39. :(

soonercruiser
3/5/2011, 01:48 PM
And then for OKlahoma there is this!

Oklahoma bracing for more environmental regulations
Oklahoma officials are trying to figure out a way to deal with an expected rise in federal environmental rules without unnecessarily increasing energy costs for state consumers.
BY JAY F. MARKS [email protected] Oklahoman 6 Published: March 4, 2011

State regulators, energy producers, utility companies and consumer groups huddled Thursday to discuss how to deal with an avalanche of new environmental rules expected to come from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Most of the 80 or so people at the meeting agreed the collaboration can work.
“I think if we can all sit together, roll our sleeves up, ... we can come up with a good solution,” said Jim Satrom, an attorney for the Oklahoma Industrial Energy Consumers.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission organized Thursday's meeting to discuss the potential impact of regulations on air, water and solid waste.
A Public Service Co. of Oklahoma executive said more than three dozen rules coming in the next three years will affect electric utilities.
Officials said such regulation could affect energy prices paid by consumers.

Assistant Attorney General Bill Humes said Oklahoma's challenges require solutions that can only come by looking 20 or 30 years into the future.
He said parties involved in the process must consider economic consequences while crafting an energy plan for the state's future prosperity.
http://www.newsok.com/article/3545762

Some of what is happening is.....Obama using the EPA to circumvent congress in enacting his agenda for $5 a gallon gasoline.
Of course, this si what he promised us anyway. :(

TIMB0B
3/5/2011, 04:33 PM
kFrJvMWMdLY

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 04:38 PM
but with corn there isn't a second level of speculation, or prices that can change for the consumer at will

What changes do you suggest....remember that crude is traded on various markets around the world on a 24 hour basis...

There can be a second level of corn speculation...though it is not as volatile as crude so crude is the traders #1 choice to make a quick buck...

You can also avoid buying gas....use public transportation...walk, ride a bike....buy a Nissan Leaf...

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 04:41 PM
kFrJvMWMdLY

Good point TimBob....since oil is traded in dollars when the dollar is devalued the price of crude will go up...and at the current time the dollar is weak...and will probably only get weaker over the next decade unless spending is reigned in...

TIMB0B
3/5/2011, 04:44 PM
Good point TimBob....since oil is traded in dollars when the dollar is devalued the price of crude will go up...and at the current time the dollar is weak...and will probably only get weaker over the next decade unless spending is reigned in...
Not to mention ending the war.

okie52
3/6/2011, 08:09 AM

Heh, heh. Not if you are using ethanol you're not.

yermom
3/6/2011, 12:06 PM
i can at least choose a station that doesn't use ethanol

and it bothers me quite a bit that my beloved QuikTrip does :(

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 12:10 PM
i can at least choose a station that doesn't use ethanol

and it bothers me quite a bit that my beloved QuikTrip does :(

One thing about QT that I'm pretty sure I'm right about is this....

If they didn't make more money pumping ethanol....there wouldn't be any there.

I could be wrong but....

yermom
3/6/2011, 12:39 PM
What changes do you suggest....remember that crude is traded on various markets around the world on a 24 hour basis...

There can be a second level of corn speculation...though it is not as volatile as crude so crude is the traders #1 choice to make a quick buck...

You can also avoid buying gas....use public transportation...walk, ride a bike....buy a Nissan Leaf...

i don't know. i guess i forgot they closed the Enron loophole

but the second level of speculation i'm talking about is gas prices. oil can go up a little, or not at all and gas goes up. but it doesn't even go down at the same rate as oil. they've designed a great system to rob us and there isn't much we can do about it

yermom
3/6/2011, 12:42 PM
One thing about QT that I'm pretty sure I'm right about is this....

If they didn't make more money pumping ethanol....there wouldn't be any there.

I could be wrong but....

yeah, that's the same reason all of the ones that use it do

it seems like it's the big chains that do it across the board, and it's only the smaller ones that advertise no ethanol

soonerbrat
3/6/2011, 01:51 PM
Valero doesn't have ethanol. the one by my house is like $3.45 now for the cheapest non-ethanol. ergh. glad i'm moving downtown this summer so I can walk to work!

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 04:24 PM
As a person that works in the oil and gas industry, I think I can speak for the rest of us by saying you will pay 3 smokes a gallon and you will like it

I'll send you 3000 smokes and you give me credit for 1000 gallons of gas.

I'm good with that since a smoke is around $0.25.

yermom
3/6/2011, 04:25 PM
i figured he was talking about cork soaking

pphilfran
3/6/2011, 05:10 PM
i don't know. i guess i forgot they closed the Enron loophole

but the second level of speculation i'm talking about is gas prices. oil can go up a little, or not at all and gas goes up. but it doesn't even go down at the same rate as oil. they've designed a great system to rob us and there isn't much we can do about it

Enron was as much about criminal dealings as it was about regulation...people went to jail over their procedures...proper auditing (though difficult) would have resolved the Enron situation much sooner....added regulation won't guarantee future smooth sailing...

You own the Venom Quick Stop...

You have a 1000 gallons of gas that you paid a $1 a gallon...

You sell it for $1.10 a gallon so you have a $100 in profit sitting in your tanks...

Your wholesaler raises the cost of fuel to $1.10 a gallon...

If you wait till that next truck pulls in with the higher priced fuel you will spend all of your profit paying for that new tanker...you haven't made a penny for your weeks worth of effort...

How fast would you raise prices?

The next week you get notice that your next shipment of fuel will go back down to the original $1 a gallon...

The fuel you have in your tanks cost ya $1.10...will you drop the price immediately to a $1 since that next shipment will cost you less?

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:52 PM
I smell more regulation. Of course that won't stop the prices from rising.

Once all the Taxi Drivers are out of business I'm calling Chuck and get my Motorcycle Taxi Stands going.

sooner59
3/6/2011, 05:55 PM
Gas is up to $3.49 per gallon near my place for regular unleaded. :eek:

Just about time for that Toyota Peeus, ST.

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:44 PM
Enron was as much about criminal dealings as it was about regulation...people went to jail over their procedures...proper auditing (though difficult) would have resolved the Enron situation much sooner....added regulation won't guarantee future smooth sailing...

You own the Venom Quick Stop...

You have a 1000 gallons of gas that you paid a $1 a gallon...

You sell it for $1.10 a gallon so you have a $100 in profit sitting in your tanks...

Your wholesaler raises the cost of fuel to $1.10 a gallon...

If you wait till that next truck pulls in with the higher priced fuel you will spend all of your profit paying for that new tanker...you haven't made a penny for your weeks worth of effort...

How fast would you raise prices?

The next week you get notice that your next shipment of fuel will go back down to the original $1 a gallon...

The fuel you have in your tanks cost ya $1.10...will you drop the price immediately to a $1 since that next shipment will cost you less?

why would i ever drop prices if i didn't have to?

and i'm talking about the "Enron loophole": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_loophole

boomersooner001
3/7/2011, 08:42 AM
I paid $3.70 this morning for premium.

pphilfran
3/7/2011, 05:52 PM
why would i ever drop prices if i didn't have to?

and i'm talking about the "Enron loophole": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_loophole

YOu just have a hard on about the fuel prices and are grasping at straws to find a scapegoat...I don't see the tie in between Enron and the way fuel prices behave...

Crude price is the driving force...refinery spread (we are very tight on refinery capacity) and retailer profit can also affect the price...but he worldwide trading of crude is the largest factor...

OUMallen
3/7/2011, 06:00 PM
YOu just have a hard on about the fuel prices and are grasping at straws to find a scapegoat...I don't see the tie in between Enron and the way fuel prices behave...

Crude price is the driving force...refinery spread (we are very tight on refinery capacity) and retailer profit can also affect the price...but he worldwide trading of crude is the largest factor...

It amazes me that we don't have more refinery capacity.

yermom
3/7/2011, 06:05 PM

i didn't name it.

crude peaked at what? $140ish a while back? oil isn't nearly that high yet, but gas is getting up to about the same prices is was when it was that high

okie52
3/7/2011, 08:28 PM
It amazes me that we don't have more refinery capacity.

The EPA and congress have put refineries on the same plan as nukes.....never!!!!

okie52
3/7/2011, 08:33 PM
i didn't name it.

crude peaked at what? $140ish a while back? oil isn't nearly that high yet, but gas is getting up to about the same prices is was when it was that high

Gasoline was over $4 in 2008. So what's your point? You think you are getting
Getting screwed? When oil was $33 a barrel in 2009 and extraction costs for most countries was 45-$55 a barrel were you getting screwed then?

oumartin
3/7/2011, 09:24 PM
F@ckin' tree huggin' hippies in Washington who would rather save a damn bird that nobody gives a sh!t about is far more important.

You people love your dems. Congrats this is what you get.

btw, Refineries can up their capacities. It's about getting the crude to them and those in charge don't wanna release the crude.

yermom
3/7/2011, 10:18 PM
Gasoline was over $4 in 2008. So what's your point? You think you are getting
Getting screwed? When oil was $33 a barrel in 2009 and extraction costs for most countries was 45-$55 a barrel were you getting screwed then?

yes, i think i was. :D

how much was gas then?

pphilfran
3/8/2011, 06:33 AM
http://www.eia.doe.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=gasoline_factors_affecting_prices

At $2.34 a gallon...(Caution! Rounding is in play...)

24 cents to distribution and marketing...

26 cents refining costs and profits...

40 cents taxes (avg state added to fed)

$1.44 due to crude..(about 60 bucks a barrel)

Uncle Sam and his cousins are the biggest winner outside of Saudi Arabia...

They pull in 40 cents a gallon...roughly 150 billion gallons of gas sold each year...

60 billion in gas tax revenue...

XOM paid 21.5 billion in taxes last year...
Chevron 13 billion...

Nearly 100 billion in taxes...and how many other producers are there in the US...

To me, it is a tossup on who is more expert at ramming it home to a bent over consumer...OPEC or the folks in DC...

texaspokieokie
3/8/2011, 08:36 AM
i dream of the days when gas was $3.02.

OUthunder
3/8/2011, 10:22 AM
$3.32 today at 7/711 in NW OKC. Up .03 since Friday.

okie52
3/8/2011, 10:31 AM
yes, i think i was. :D

how much was gas then?

The national average was about $1.85 to $1.90 for Feb-March 2009. OK was usually a good 20-30 cents under that because of less taxes. I still remember paying 1.65 in Edmond.

Now where the real screw job comes through to me is when a 7/11 has gas for $3 a gallon and another 7/11 a few blocks away has it for 3.10. Common occurence in Edmond. But you can always choose the lower priced store.

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 05:03 PM
Just watched the Homeland "Exportess" up the stree the last 3 days...
Monday, $3.49 reg
Tuesday....$3.39
Wednesday....$3.29!!!!!
Must be getting closer to the bottom of the underground tank. :rolleyes:

SpankyNek
3/9/2011, 05:09 PM
$3.39 here in Houston (10% corn squeezins).

I have always paid more (albeit only a few cents) more for gas here than in OKC, even though most every drop is refined within a few miles of me.

BTW, July, 3rd 2005, I paid 98 cents/gallon at the Albertson's on 12th and Alameda in Norman...officially the last time I saw it under a dollar.

It has now increased over 300% in less than 6 years...not a very comforting thought.

MamaMia
3/9/2011, 05:14 PM
I only use premium gas in my car, so I'm really feeling the pinch. I have never put ethanol in my car either. Why don't they have coupons in the Sunday paper for gas? :confused:

Thing is...Obama isn't going to do anything about it. The more we pay for gas, the more money the federal government gets.

SpankyNek
3/9/2011, 05:24 PM
I only use premium gas in my car, so I'm really feeling the pinch. I have never put ethanol in my car either. Why don't they have coupons in the Sunday paper for gas? :confused:

Thing is...Obama isn't going to do anything about it. The more we pay for gas, the more money the federal government gets.

I am surprised if gas taxes are based upon price rather than volume. I would think that the Fed takes in less revenue as people become more conservative with gasoline usage.

I look for the Fed to actually increase gas taxes in an effort to push consumers toward more economically viable (long term) energy sources.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 07:16 PM

It is taxed by the gallon...

Why do you use premium...very few vehicles require premium...

SoCaliSooner
3/9/2011, 07:20 PM

My wifes car needs premium as well or it knocks and idles rough...

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 07:33 PM

Mama!
I heard that soon the OK state lottery will be awarding gas coupons instead of $$!

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 07:36 PM

Phil,
I just traded in the PT Cruiser turbo convertible.
Why would a person have a turbo/performance engine and not use premium?
(That's partly why I traded)