PDA

View Full Version : Do Christians pray to Allah?

OutlandTrophy
2/14/2011, 10:47 PM
I say they do.

soonerinkaty
2/14/2011, 10:50 PM
Oh ****. Why did you open this can of worms.

2121Sooner
2/14/2011, 10:53 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion

Regardless of how asinine it is.

Turd_Ferguson
2/14/2011, 10:54 PM
I'm a ****tard. Well said.

soonerinkaty
2/14/2011, 10:54 PM
Its not illegal to be dumb.

OutlandTrophy
2/14/2011, 10:59 PM
so some of you say Christians don't pray to Allah?

soonerinkaty
2/14/2011, 11:02 PM
Where did we say that.

2121Sooner
2/14/2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah we all do, and me and Bin Laden had a F'ing Easter Egg hunt last year.

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/14/2011, 11:03 PM
Bet he was better at hiding than you

soonerinkaty
2/14/2011, 11:03 PM
That's funny, I just played a round of golf with Gandhi. Swell guy, just a little on the skinny side.

SicEmBaylor
2/14/2011, 11:08 PM
Muslims, Jews, and Christians all have the same God people...

So, yes.

salth2o
2/14/2011, 11:17 PM
Allah is an Arabic word for God. Most Westerners associate the word Allah with the Muslim. I am not Muslim and do not call my God Allah.

AlboSooner
2/14/2011, 11:19 PM
That depends what one means by Allah. Allah was the name of the good of moon (pre-Islamic eradication of paganism in Arabia), whose influence is felt in Islam today as evidenced by the crescent moon being a wide-spread Islamic symbol. Christians do not pray to that god.

There is the ethos of Allah as described by the Qur'an. The personification of Allah of the Qur'an and that of the Bible are different. Christians do not pray to the god which the Qur'an calls Allah.

There is the simple, western notion of Allah simply meaning God in Arabic. Arabian Christians might refer to the God of the Bible as Allah, and they do pray to Him. Outside of the Arabian Peninsula, Christians generally do not refer to God as Allah in order to distinguish God from the god of the Qur'an.

OULenexaman
2/14/2011, 11:28 PM
I say they do. Well if I did I didn't know it...so I so say NOT.

Turd_Ferguson
2/14/2011, 11:40 PM
My God pwns mooslen's allah...

MR2-Sooner86
2/14/2011, 11:41 PM
They're all part of the Arabic religions.

Judaism believes the Messiah hasn't returned to fulfill the covenant.
Christians believe Jesus to be the son of God and fulfilled the covenant.
Muslims believe God's final covenant to be revealed to Muhammad.

Another difference has to do with Abraham and his sons Isaac and Ishmael. Ishmael is Abraham's first born son but Isaac was born to Abraham's wife. Jesus is a decedent of Isaac while Muhammad is a decedent of Ishmael.

That's it in a nutshell without dragging it out into great detail.

Thaumaturge
2/14/2011, 11:49 PM
Crom is your god. Crom, and he lives in the Earth.

87sooner
2/14/2011, 11:57 PM

So, yes.

no they do not...
so , no.

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/15/2011, 12:04 AM
no they do not...
so , no.
Well they all pray to the god of Abraham

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 12:44 AM
no they do not...
so , no.

http://www.scilfball.com/2008/predictions/red_x_mark.jpg

yankee
2/15/2011, 01:34 AM

So, yes.

Nope.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2011, 01:38 AM
:sigh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_conceptions_of_God

The religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are sometimes called "Abrahamic religions", because they all accept the tradition of the Torah that God revealed himself to the patriarch Abraham.
The theological traditions of all three religions are thus to some extent influenced by the depiction of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible, and the historical development of monotheism in the history of Judaism.
The "Abrahamic God" in this sense is the conception of God that remains a common attribute of all three traditions. In all of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, God is conceived of as eternal, omnipotent, omniscient and as the creator of the universe. God is further held to have the properties of holiness, justice omni-benevolence, omnipresence.
As creator, he is also imagined transcendent, meaning that he is outside space and outside time, and therefore not subject to anything within his creation, but at the same time as personal and involved, susceptible to prayer and reacting to the actions of his creatures with punishments or rewards.

sooner59
2/15/2011, 02:04 AM
I have always heard that all three share the same God. Never heard anything different. Beats me.

87sooner
2/15/2011, 08:59 AM

do muslims worship a triune God?

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 09:19 AM
do muslims worship a triune God?

Do Jews? :rolleyes:

Veritas
2/15/2011, 09:32 AM
Do Pastafarians?

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 09:34 AM
Do Pastafarians?

:D

87sooner
2/15/2011, 09:46 AM
Do Jews? :rolleyes:

they do..
they just don't recognize /accept Jesus as the SON...

DIB
2/15/2011, 09:53 AM
All three pray to the God of Abraham. Each just views that God very differently. I would argue that all three pray to the same God, they just perceive that God differently.

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 10:01 AM
All three pray to the God of Abraham. Each just views that God very differently. I would argue that all three pray to the same God, they just perceive that God differently.

I think if you got 20 Baptists (any of the 50 different kinds of Baptists in the US) in a room and asked them to describe God that you would get 20 different answers although they are talking about the same God.

Same with any other Christian denomination. Not surprising that different religons view/percieve God a little different.

Besides, everyone knows that snake handling is the only true religon.

Veritas
2/15/2011, 10:40 AM
When it's 3rd and long I don't give a **** who's answering the phone, I just want some deity to get me a 1st down.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 10:42 AM
When it's 3rd and long I don't give a **** who's answering the phone, I just want some deity to get me a 1st down.

And not **** your pants in the process. Hopefully.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/photo_images/1321299/GYI0062076115.jpg

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 10:44 AM

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/photo_images/1321299/GYI0062076115.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2121Sooner
2/15/2011, 10:47 AM

Wikipedia also says Obama wasnt born in Kenya, so F*** Wikipedia

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 10:51 AM
IM Catholic....who wants to party?

Bourbon St Sooner
2/15/2011, 11:06 AM

So, yes.

Not exactly. Christians believe in the Holy Trinity - God the father, God the son and the Holy Spirit - as three parts of one entity. Jews and Muslims believe in the same God the father, but obviously not the other parts of the Holy Trinity.

yermom
2/15/2011, 11:07 AM
IM Catholic....who wants to party?

nah, it's cool. i don't want to get pregnant.

Oldnslo
2/15/2011, 11:16 AM
The Jewish God isn't a moon god.

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 11:18 AM
The Jewish God isn't a moon god.

But ya gots to admit some folks espousing opinions here are Moon bat crazy ;)

Position Limit
2/15/2011, 11:21 AM
christians pray for new cars and new clothes. and a spot on the PTA board.

Veritas
2/15/2011, 11:43 AM

From Twitter's fake Bo Pelini (http://twitter.com/Coach_BoPelini):
Roses are red, violets are blue, sorry about the SCREAMING but it's so f*cking fun to do.

OhU1
2/15/2011, 11:43 AM
Christians believe in the Holy Trinity - God the father, God the son and the Holy Spirit - as three parts of one entity. Jews and Muslims believe in the same God the father, but obviously not the other parts of the Holy Trinity.

Can anyone explain "the trinity"? I think one of our founding fathers Thomas Jeffrson explained the trinty best:

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
— Thomas Jefferson

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the platonic mysticisms that three are one and one is three, and yet that one is not three and three are not one. But this constitutes the craft, the power, and the profit of the priests." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams 1803

2121Sooner
2/15/2011, 11:49 AM
Bet he was better at hiding than you

That is only because I stopped looking for him......

47straight
2/15/2011, 11:49 AM
That depends what one means by Allah. Allah was the name of the good of moon (pre-Islamic eradication of paganism in Arabia), whose influence is felt in Islam today as evidenced by the crescent moon being a wide-spread Islamic symbol. Christians do not pray to that god.

There is the ethos of Allah as described by the Qur'an. The personification of Allah of the Qur'an and that of the Bible are different. Christians do not pray to the god which the Qur'an calls Allah.

There is the simple, western notion of Allah simply meaning God in Arabic. Arabian Christians might refer to the God of the Bible as Allah, and they do pray to Him. Outside of the Arabian Peninsula, Christians generally do not refer to God as Allah in order to distinguish God from the god of the Qur'an.

AS, this is the South Oval. This kind of reasoned, fair, and thoughtful post is really out of line.

KantoSooner
2/15/2011, 11:51 AM
I suppose whichever invisible friend you wish to cleave to is pretty much the same as any other.

47straight
2/15/2011, 11:51 AM
Can anyone explain "the trinity"? I think one of our founding fathers Thomas Jeffrson explained the trinty best:

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
— Thomas Jefferson

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the platonic mysticisms that three are one and one is three, and yet that one is not three and three are not one. But this constitutes the craft, the power, and the profit of the priests." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams 1803

Why would I try to explain it to you when you throw an insult in with the query, and don't even have the courage to make it yourself but have to hide behind a quote?

Oldnslo
2/15/2011, 12:16 PM
But ya gots to admit some folks espousing opinions here are Moon bat crazy ;)

Opinions are easy to have. Hell, you don't even have to think!

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 12:22 PM
Alright let me explain it very nicely for everybody who doesn't have a clue.

God revealed himself to Abraham and revealed his covenant to him. All three, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity believe everything up to and including this.

Now, Abraham was suppose to have a son however his wife Sarah was believed to be too old, around 100, to have a child. So Abraham had a child, Ishmael, to one of his young maids, Hagar. Afterwards, Sarah gets pregnant and that son, Isaac, is born.

Judaism and Christianity believe the covenant was with Isaac as he was the real son born to Abraham and Sarah. This is where Judaism goes as Judaism follows Isaac as being the one God promised the covenant to. The bloodline of Isaac would eventually present us Jesus as the Messiah.

Islam believes the covenant was with Ishmael as he was truly the first son born of Abraham. It says further in the Bible that Ishmael will "go and create a great nation" which we know today as the Middle East. Muhammad is a decedent of Ishmael and God's covenant, to Islam, is believe to be fulfilled and completed with him.

This is where you get the fighting we see today. The Jewish people are the descendants of Isaac while the Arabs are descendants of Ishmael and each of them thinks God choose them to fulfill his covenant.

Just look at this.
http://islamas.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/16_clip_image002.jpg

They all pray to the God of Abraham.

Oldnslo
2/15/2011, 12:34 PM
Can I be the first to point out that your chart fails to prove your assertion?

Jews don't pray to a moon god. There isn't a simpler way to put that.

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 12:52 PM
Jesus Muhammad Christ...

Can I be the first to point out that your chart fails to prove your assertion?

How?

There was a man named Abraham. He had two sons Isaac and Ishmael. Both believed they were promised God's covenant. Isaac brought us Jesus. Ishmael brought us Muhammad.

It's not that god damn hard to follow.

Jews don't pray to a moon god. There isn't a simpler way to put that.

You talking about the Pagan symbols found in Islam? If I'm not mistaken, Christianity took a f*ck load of Pagan symbols and traditions like, oh I don't know, the cross.

OhU1
2/15/2011, 12:52 PM
Why would I try to explain it to you when you throw an insult in with the query, and don't even have the courage to make it yourself but have to hide behind a quote?

That's sort of what I expected a dance around the issue. The question was rhetorical anyway. I know no one can "explain" nonsense.

Here's my courageous quote: "The trinity is an early invention of the Catholic church to rationalize polytheism as monotheism." OhU1

(I just thought Thomas Jefferson pointed out the absurdity and said it better).

AlboSooner
2/15/2011, 01:13 PM
To all Christians on here:

To give truth to him who loves it not is to only give him more multiplied reasons for misinterpretation.-George McDonald

The issues of divisions between the three major monotheistic religions, go far beyond than Ishmael vs. Isac (why would God honor the son-ship out of his plan). I am glad to see so many non-Christians chime in. This tells that the longing of the heart for God, is much stronger than the circumstances which keep people far from him. Come home.

Muhammad is not a descendant of Ishmael. Whereas Jesus is a descendant of Abraham, and of David.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/15/2011, 01:14 PM

— Thomas Jefferson

I don't know. I'm not a theologian. If you can believe in Jesus as both human and devine then it's not too hard to believe in a Holy Trinity. That's why it's called faith.

You can ridicule it all you want and quote TJ all you want, it's not convincing anybody to switch to your views.

AlboSooner
2/15/2011, 01:20 PM
I don't know. I'm not a theologian. If you can believe in Jesus as both human and devine then it's not too hard to believe in a Holy Trinity. That's why it's called faith.

You can ridicule it all you want and quote TJ all you want, it's not convincing anybody to switch to your views.

The problem with TJ's quotes is that neither his propositions are intelligible, and thus must be subjected to ridicule, which in turn is self-defeating. Being able to write the constitution of the US, which was a reiteration of European philosophy, doesn't automatically make one a theologian.

OhU1
2/15/2011, 01:26 PM
Muhammad is not a descendant of Ishmael. Whereas Jesus is a descendant of Abraham, and of David.

I was going to give this thread a rest but - how can Jesus be in the line of David if his father was not Joseph but God himself?

AlboSooner
2/15/2011, 01:44 PM
I was going to give this thread a rest but - how can Jesus be in the line of David if his father was not Joseph but God himself?

Both Jesus' mother and earthly father were of the line of David. We believe that Jesus is the seed of the woman (Gen 3:15), who in turn crushed the serpents' head on the cross. So whether you look at his lineage from his mom, or his legal registration as a son of Joseph, God is trying to make these three main points:
1. I am keeping my word which I gave in Gen 3:15
2. I am keeping my word I gave to Abraham in Gen 12
3. I am verifying the prophecies about the Messiah.

So either my birth, or by legal lineage, Jesus is a descendant of Abraham and of David.

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 02:48 PM

Check out Marys line of decent ;)

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 02:57 PM
Xenu is not amused with this thread.

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 03:02 PM
A small amount of knowledge can mislead people into thinking that they are more expert than they really are.:pop:

OhU1
2/15/2011, 03:19 PM
Check out Marys line of decent ;)

The ancient Jews were rather patriarchal. Seems a bit of a stretch to get there. But if you're going to make the "prophecy" work you got to get there somehow. ;)

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 03:30 PM
Both Jesus' mother and earthly father were of the line of David. We believe that Jesus is the seed of the woman (Gen 3:15), who in turn crushed the serpents' head on the cross. So whether you look at his lineage from his mom, or his legal registration as a son of Joseph, God is trying to make these three main points:
1. I am keeping my word which I gave in Gen 3:15
2. I am keeping my word I gave to Abraham in Gen 12
3. I am verifying the prophecies about the Messiah.

So either my birth, or by legal lineage, Jesus is a descendant of Abraham and of David.

The ancient Jews were rather patriarchal. Seems a bit of a stretch to get there. But if you're going to make the "prophecy" work you got to get there somehow. ;)

Personally I dont GAS what any one thinks . I was simply answering an inquiry

Albo answered better than I anyway ;)

C&CDean
2/15/2011, 03:31 PM
I say they do.

Yeah? Well you say a lot of stupid **** so it doesn't surprise me.

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 03:34 PM
whoa, you really think I'm wrong?

I'd like to hear this.
:pop:

C&CDean
2/15/2011, 03:34 PM
Wrong about what? I just said you say a lot of stupid ****.

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 03:35 PM
so you agree with me?

C&CDean
2/15/2011, 03:36 PM
About what? That you say a lot of stupid ****? Sure.

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 03:39 PM
:pop:

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 03:57 PM
pink panthers are pretty predatory.

fyi

47straight
2/15/2011, 05:16 PM
I was going to give this thread a rest but I had to ask a rhetorical question that highlights my own ignorance and/or lack of sincereity

FIFY

47straight
2/15/2011, 05:18 PM

Go ask a Jew whether the religion follows the mother's line or the father's line.

Wow. Any other religions that you'd like to talk out of your *** about? You're on quite the streak.

OhU1
2/15/2011, 06:43 PM
Go ask a Jew whether the religion follows the mother's line or the father's line.

Wow. Any other religions that you'd like to talk out of your *** about? You're on quite the streak.

Actually, it may be you who may not have looked into this very thoroughly as there are different bases for use of lineages. Sure, since at least 100 CE, arguably before, Judaism recognizes the maternal line to determine who IS a Jew. “Mixed marriages” were not recognized. With an an all-Jewish marriage a child would inherit his or her Jewish status from the father. In a mixed marriage the child would have no legal father. The child assumes his Jewish status from his mother. (Other Torah verses warn Jewish men from taking non-Jewish wives because their children will not be considered Jewish.)

Other aspects of lineage such as the rules of inheritance and the descent of the monarchy followed the father. Paternal lineage tracked affiliation with the Jewish tribes and played a more important part in the old Hebrew bible.

Both of Jesus’ parents were married. No one was disputing his Jewish identity. On the other hand a claim was being made that Jesus lineage traced back to a King (where the paternal line is relevant). We don't retroactively apply newer rules to the old law here do we?

You want me to ask a Jew? Perhaps you should ask a rabbi or Jewish scholar if he accepts the claim linking Jesus to David or the reasoning behind the two lineages in the New Testament?

47straight
2/15/2011, 07:55 PM
Actually, it may be you who may not have looked into this very thoroughly as there are different bases for use of lineages. Sure, since at least 100 CE, arguably before, Judaism recognizes the maternal line to determine who IS a Jew. “Mixed marriages” were not recognized. With an an all-Jewish marriage a child would inherit his or her Jewish status from the father. In a mixed marriage the child would have no legal father. The child assumes his Jewish status from his mother. (Other Torah verses warn Jewish men from taking non-Jewish wives because their children will not be considered Jewish.)

Other aspects of lineage such as the rules of inheritance and the descent of the monarchy followed the father. Paternal lineage tracked affiliation with the Jewish tribes and played a more important part in the old Hebrew bible.

Both of Jesus’ parents were married. No one was disputing his Jewish identity. On the other hand a claim was being made that Jesus lineage traced back to a King (where the paternal line is relevant). We don't retroactively apply newer rules to the old law here do we?

You want me to ask a Jew? Perhaps you should ask a rabbi or Jewish scholar if he accepts the claim linking Jesus to David or the reasoning behind the two lineages in the New Testament?

When I ask a rabbi or Jewish scholar that question, should I make it a rhetorical insult asking an answer, but putting in a quote to disguise my own hatefulness because I'm too cowardly to just say it and I'm not open-minded enough to actually discuss it, like you seem to do?

I Am Right
2/15/2011, 08:06 PM

LOL

salth2o
2/15/2011, 11:35 PM
What about Tom Cruise?

soonerinkaty
2/16/2011, 12:36 AM
Gingers have no souls.

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2011, 01:42 AM
I'm confused. What's the consensus so I can take the contrarian view?

sooner59
2/16/2011, 02:03 AM
I think so far it is split between Christians worship the one true God, all 3 religions worship the one true god, and Jesus was an alien and Moses was on shrooms. I could have missed something, though.

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2011, 02:17 AM
You forgot to spell Jesus and God in all lowercase.

sooner59
2/16/2011, 02:27 AM
I see them as proper names.

Oldnslo
2/16/2011, 11:32 AM
"Ask a Jew". Funny. As if anyone listens to me anyway.

C&CDean
2/16/2011, 11:58 AM
I listen to you Heimy.