PDA

View Full Version : OU Takes On No. 2 UConn

Mad Dog Madsen
2/14/2011, 05:58 PM
OU women will be taking on UConn at their house tonight! Game starts at 6pm on ESPN2. Show some support! I think we can hang with 'em!

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/021311aaa.html

oumartin
2/14/2011, 07:27 PM
sorry to say it but It's not gonna be close

101sooner
2/14/2011, 07:32 PM
31-6 UConn early.

Soonerman82
2/14/2011, 07:33 PM
Anybody know why the hell is ESPN showing a split screen of Mya Moore?

ouwapiti
2/14/2011, 07:51 PM
glaring difference in athleticism and skills......not a fan of scheduling this type of game in the middle of conference play

oumartin
2/14/2011, 08:27 PM

She's the female Tim Tebow

trwxxa
2/14/2011, 09:10 PM
Not sure what is going on, but 3 blowouts in the last two weeks has me curious. I know all three beatdowns came from teams in the top 5, but still..

Soonerjeepman
2/14/2011, 10:33 PM

I quit watching when is was 40 to 13....I had to take son to scouts...but THAT was annoying...did they show it the whole time? the announcers couldn't stop talking about her...a lesbian crush...she is good no doubt but that was ridiculous.

Obviously the OU team isn't even close in talent...to the top 5 teams...but they also do some very stupid things...how many TO's were due to bad passes and poor decisions...a lot..

oumartin
2/14/2011, 10:41 PM
A staple of all sherri Coales teams are the plathora of turnovers. Many that make you scratch your head

badger
2/14/2011, 11:10 PM
I'll probably overanalyze this later, but I think that turnovers are just part of the womens college bball game right now in an effort to up the tempo and have good fast break points and such.

The turnover battle tonight was 17 to 16, so it wasn't our undoing. It was oh so many other things that caused us to lose by 40-plus, Ugggggh, I can't wait for us to beat UConn. it will happen soon. Just not this year unfortunately.

BudsBoy
2/15/2011, 12:34 AM
I'll probably overanalyze this later, but I think that turnovers are just part of the womens college bball game right now in an effort to up the tempo and have good fast break points and such.

The turnover battle tonight was 17 to 16, so it wasn't our undoing. It was oh so many other things that caused us to lose by 40-plus, Ugggggh, I can't wait for us to beat UConn. it will happen soon. Just not this year unfortunately.

OU beat UConn, not in your life time unless OU decides to get a coach who can bring in more than one player a year who can actually play basketball in the modern game. OU needs to clear the bench of all the walk on and stiffs and starting getting 10 players who can actually play some roundball.

Eielson
2/15/2011, 12:45 AM
OU beat UConn, not in your life time unless OU decides to get a coach who can bring in more than one player a year who can actually play basketball in the modern game. OU needs to clear the bench of all the walk on and stiffs and starting getting 10 players who can actually play some roundball.

Yeah man, these Final Four teams we're producing are trash.

ouleaf
2/15/2011, 10:24 AM
Had absolutely no clue this game was even happening until I stumbled upon it before getting ready to watch the Kansas v. K-State game. Caught it just as the final buzzer went off and boy was I glad I didn't watch that beating from the beginning. Totally outclassed in every facet of the game from what I've looked at stat-wise.

Shot under 30%, out rebounded by 20, only 5 Free Throw attempts, 3-22 on 3 pt shots? Exactly why I don't waste my time watching it. They might as well have not made the trip.

fwsooner22
2/15/2011, 10:45 AM
This team lacks shooting, another ball handler and an offensive presence in the middle. I realize that's a lot but it also tells the whole story. It's a team to be proud of but not a team to get excited about.

Reminds me of a few of Billy's "in between good teams" teams. Things will get better.

badger
2/15/2011, 10:54 AM

It sounds like people already let you have it, but as someone who has faithfully watched this team since the 2001-02 season - EVERY season, virtually every game, from exhibition to the final tourney game - you are so dead wrong.

Sherri is the best coach that OU can have for its womens bball program. I would hope that this is an undisputed fact after all she has done for us since arriving in the mid 90s. An Oklahoma native that the fans fell in love with and top recruits flock to from across the country, Sherri has three Final Fours, including both of the past two seasons, more than a decade of NCAA tourney trips in a row and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have the most Big 12 titles, conference and tourney combined, in the sport.

So, we can't beat UConn quite yet. With the exception of one team this year, nobody else really has at all for the past few seasons. We'll get there, because considering where we've been before Sherri and where we've been since, Final Fours are going to be givens, and national titles (plural!) will be expected.

Mad Dog Madsen
2/15/2011, 10:57 AM
I really thought we had a shot before tip-off. I knew we probably wouldn't win but c'mon! 41 points?!? That's so embarrassing. ...I still love Carlee though. :D

Soonerjeepman
2/15/2011, 11:30 AM
The unfortunate thing about women's bball at this level is there are about 5 really good teams every year and then the next 10, then maybe 20 or so then it really breaks down. UConn/Tenn/Standford...on the National level have always been tough...the Big 12 schools have been in the top 10..and OU was getting there but those other schools especially UConn have THEIR pick of the HS talent every yr.

everyone seems to need justification for their opinion...so here's mine...LOL...my sis played on an undefeated 5a hs team, played Big 8 ball...so I watched a lot of the game and I coached HS girls for 4 yrs....not that that makes me an expert but I do have some knowledge about the women's game.

oudanny
2/15/2011, 11:45 AM
We are woefully weak on the interior. When our shooters aren't hitting, it's going to be ugly. When you add that with the fact we are a poor rebounding team then it will get embarassing against quality opponents. We just have to keep working.

badger
2/15/2011, 12:10 PM
I really thought we had a shot before tip-off. I knew we probably wouldn't win but c'mon! 41 points?!? That's so embarrassing. ...I still love Carlee though. :D

yeah me too - we have really shot lights out some game so i figured that was our one shot against uconn, making our shots. alas, it didn't happen. maybe it'll happen when it really comes come tourney time? a girl can dream :D

Soonerjeepman
2/15/2011, 03:51 PM
We are woefully weak on the interior. When our shooters aren't hitting, it's going to be ugly. When you add that with the fact we are a poor rebounding team then it will get embarassing against quality opponents. We just have to keep working.

I figured when we started the tall freshman Griffin over McFarland we were in trouble....

cjames317
2/15/2011, 05:26 PM
Anybody know why the hell is ESPN not showing a split screen of Sherri Coale?

badger
2/15/2011, 05:57 PM
Anybody know why the hell is ESPN not showing a split screen of Sherri Coale?

I contemplated that myself and used one of our game photos at SS.com to create what that would look like:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2udu6g3.png

I just don't see why anyone would want to see double vision of Sherri Coale in cute little pink shoes ;)

soonerbub
2/15/2011, 07:02 PM
hoo boy that was bad...did Geno show the Fiesta Bowl before the game or somethin ;)

Bob 48 Sherri 45 :(

oh well this game meant NOTHING in the grand scheme...burn the video and find a way to beat the bad news bears at home--Sweet 16 is still a realistic goal BOOMER

bri
2/15/2011, 10:54 PM
I'll remember how easygoing and forgiving everyone was about a 41-point loss on national TV the next time the men's team loses by 12 or so.

Blue
2/16/2011, 12:35 AM
I'll remember how easygoing and forgiving everyone was about a 41-point loss on national TV the next time the men's team loses by 12 or so.

Apples and oranges. Or more like apples and those weird looking papayas at the store I never buy. ;)

Mad Dog Madsen
2/16/2011, 04:33 PM

^^^THIS. x10

badger
2/16/2011, 04:37 PM
It probably helped that it happened on Valentine's Day. If it was an otherwise boring night or weekend game, I probably would have had a fully-scale meltdown over everything involved. This game really was full of fail, from the Maya Cam to the fact that only one of our players made it to the free throw line, to our assists getting outnumbered by our turnovers, to our abysmal shooting, to... eff it. you all already read my rant once.

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2011, 06:12 PM
Why the hell would you schedule UCONN right in the middle of conference play?

bri
2/16/2011, 06:16 PM
To put the 20-point losses in perspective.

Salt City Sooner
2/16/2011, 07:53 PM
Why the hell would you schedule UCONN right in the middle of conference play?Nothing she hasn't done before on multiple occasions. The men used to do this as well (much more so under Tubbs than Sampson though).

AlboSooner
2/16/2011, 07:53 PM
It was the basketball version of 77-0.

Soonerjeepman
2/16/2011, 10:12 PM
it was UGLY and embarrassing...the fact we started the Griffin freshman vs McFarland who has been starting should have said something...we gave up the post before the tip...