PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Public Schools = Fails

JohnnyMack
2/14/2011, 01:48 PM
So your plan to make up all these snow days is to extend the school day by 30 minutes? Who's running the show, a bunch of circus chimps? This is absurd. No wonder we're getting our global *** kicked. We treat education like an inconvenience. **** this ****.

We need to hire a Tiger Mom to run TPS.

NormanPride
2/14/2011, 01:51 PM
We kant have da kidss mising theyre sumar, Jay-M!

Bourbon St Sooner
2/14/2011, 01:53 PM
I'm sure the teachers have in their contracts that they can't work past June 1.

Mjcpr
2/14/2011, 01:56 PM
The teachers did not want to extend the school year or use spring break or have school on Saturdays.

JohnnyMack
2/14/2011, 01:58 PM
The teachers did not want to extend the school year or use spring break or have school on Saturdays.

Then they're ****ing lazy and should go find another job.

Mjcpr
2/14/2011, 01:58 PM
Outside of that, they were open to anything. :D

mgsooner
2/14/2011, 02:02 PM
Public school?? Snicker

PDXsooner
2/14/2011, 02:04 PM
I just don't get making up school days. Look, it snowed, so the kids miss a few days. Big ****ing deal. Is the information so vital that we have to somehow make up those days? Can't the teachers find a way to slip that information in over the next few months? I mean, really.

NormanPride
2/14/2011, 02:11 PM
BUT THEN THEY WON'T BE PREPARED FOR STANDARDIZED TEST "X"!

And then the school's funding gets cut... Why cut a school's funding if test scores are bad. Isn't that kind of counter-intuitive?

OutlandTrophy
2/14/2011, 02:12 PM
legally the school year in Oklahoma is a certain amount of hours. That's why they can add a few minutes to each day to make up snow days.

It wasn't the teacher's decision to do it this way, it's the administration's. It also has to do with the testing grades and when their tests are.

jumperstop
2/14/2011, 02:19 PM
So in a high school where they have 6 hour classes, the only class that is going to get to make up the snow day is the last hour of the day. By this alone you can tell that the administration doesn't care about what the students missed or making up missed class time, they only care about what is "legally" required to make up...pathetic.

Pricetag
2/14/2011, 02:20 PM
They did something like this when I was at Broken Arrow from 1988 through 1992, I can't remember which year it was, though.

sooner_born_1960
2/14/2011, 02:21 PM
Adding a half hour to the school day doesn't automatically mean they only add it to the last hour. They could add 5 minutes to each hour.

DIB
2/14/2011, 02:24 PM
BUT THEN THEY WON'T BE PREPARED FOR STANDARDIZED TEST "X"!

And then the school's funding gets cut... Why cut a school's funding if test scores are bad. Isn't that kind of counter-intuitive?

No point sending good money after bad.

jumperstop
2/14/2011, 02:29 PM
Adding a half hour to the school day doesn't automatically mean they only add it to the last hour. They could add 5 minutes to each hour.

Do you think they would do that? And if they did, the last five minutes of my high school classes was talking waiting to go to the next class, now it'd just be ten minutes instead....

sooner_born_1960
2/14/2011, 02:31 PM
Do you think they would do that? And if they did, the last five minutes of my high school classes was talking waiting to go to the next class, now it'd just be ten minutes instead....
They could do that. Or, they could make up the missed instruction time from the snow days. It will vary by instructor.

jumperstop
2/14/2011, 02:42 PM
They could do that. Or, they could make up the missed instruction time from the snow days. It will vary by instructor.

That question was meant to be rhetorical. Adding 30 minutes to the day will not be as benificial to the students as adding extra days.

badger
2/14/2011, 02:48 PM
Here's the makeup plan: Read this! (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20110214_11_0_TulsaP597210)

There's some interesting discussion regarding what the plan is. Apparently, a teachers-get-taught day that some teachers took during the summer is turning into a makeup day, which doesn't sit well with teachers who took the work day during the summer. Also, the fact that time is getting added to days doesn't seem to sit well with parents, on the argument that an extra half hour per day will not yield as much learning as full days of instruction.

My own thoughts:

1- Families, from teacher's families to student's families have already taken spring break non-refundable vacation plans out and wouldn't be able to attend/teach even if school was held.

2- Saturday school is stupid. For the devoutly religious families out there, Saturday was the only day off for students like me growing up. For non-religious reasons, Saturday is already an ACT-taking, sports-playing, extra-curricular-doing, volunteer-enducing day for many students. Not happening.

3- Something's gotta give in a situation like this. The teachers give up their training day time they already took during the summer, the students stay an extra half hour and report several extra days (president's day and a former parent-teacher conf. day are the other two) to get in extra time before standardized tests.

soonerchk
2/14/2011, 03:32 PM
Probably the best plan under the circumstances. Adding days would also work, but if they can meet the requirements this way, then where's the problem?

sperry
2/14/2011, 03:55 PM

When I was in middle school in the 90s, they added 2 minutes on to each class to make up for some snow days.

Also, what do you want? How productive do you think school kids would be in regular school on Saturday? Same goes for extendign the semester into summer.

mgsooner
2/14/2011, 04:00 PM
Probably the best plan under the circumstances. Adding days would also work, but if they can meet the requirements this way, then where's the problem?

Then we wouldn't have something to be outraged about and rail against the "gubment" over.

soonerchk
2/14/2011, 04:03 PM
Then we wouldn't have something to be outraged about and rail against the "gubment" over.

I have got to remember the rules over here!!

1. Everything is political

2. It's Obama's fault unless it's the state gubmint's fault.

3. Every thread will eventually end in poop.

jumperstop
2/14/2011, 04:04 PM
When I was in middle school in the 90s, they added 2 minutes on to each class to make up for some snow days.

Also, what do you want? How productive do you think school kids would be in regular school on Saturday? Same goes for extendign the semester into summer.

If you extend into summer it's just like normal schedule, just a bit longer. I could see Saturday being distracting, but adding more days to the end has the norm since I was in elementary school. Just saying if I was a teacher/student adding 30 mins seems a lot more difficult than saying we'll come two extra days that we weren't supposed to. Honestly though, I don't care. Don't have kids, don't live in Tulsa....

oudanny
2/14/2011, 05:27 PM
So, to all of you that are criticizing the plan - how many kids do you have in the Tulsa Public School system and did you vote in the online poll?

Partial Qualifier
2/14/2011, 05:41 PM
I wonder if the school boards consider these sorts of messes before they decide to close schools because of snow on the ground

I know Tulsa got hit hard, but Norman & OKC closed schools under some pretty ridiculous circumstances. The reasoning was just... wtf....

JohnnyMack
2/14/2011, 05:55 PM
So, to all of you that are criticizing the plan - how many kids do you have in the Tulsa Public School system and did you vote in the online poll?

I have one kid in the Bixby Public School system, which will likely follow whatever plan TPS adopts.

The whole idea of extending the school day and not trying to work with the state at extending when state testing must be completed is certainly a mitigating factor here. OKC governmental automatons are as guilty as the TPS officials who have opted to adopt this plan. It's a knee-jerk reaction to squeezing in a bare minimum amount of minutes into a school year before the lovely state tests are administered. You would think that given the circumstances that they could have come up with something more creative than this, something that required *gasp* a bit more effort on the part of the schools instead of punting and just adding 5 minutes to each class for the next few months.

Mongo
2/14/2011, 05:58 PM
I wonder if the school boards consider these sorts of messes before they decide to close schools because of snow on the ground

I know Tulsa got hit hard, but Norman & OKC closed schools under some pretty ridiculous circumstances. The reasoning was just... wtf....

Why do you hate spending time with your chirruns when they dont have school?

Partial Qualifier
2/14/2011, 08:27 PM
Why do you hate spending time with your chirruns when they dont have school?

:D

Sledding on the tecumseh overpass twice per day was cool, but trying to work from home with an otherwise bored-out-his-mind 7 year old nagging to go somewhurrz, that got old pretty quick

Mongo
2/14/2011, 08:32 PM
Hell of a workout too. That hill aint no joke.

Sooner5030
2/14/2011, 08:34 PM
man....in korea the kids would go to private school from 3-7pm after attending their public school that same day.

it's a cultural thingy......education and health can't be fixed with money.

MR2-Sooner86
2/14/2011, 09:00 PM
If they were going to do that it'd be easier to add the 30 minutes before school, not afterwards. If it's at the end of the day you're just extending athletics for many students. Yup, that'll really help them :rolleyes:

goingoneight
2/14/2011, 09:31 PM
I can confidently say in all my years in Tulsa schools, I was never so challenged that I couldn't stand a little more homework if they oh, so-desperately had to teach them two weeks worth of crap. Make the kids buckle down and work harder... society might benefit from it one day.

soonercruiser
2/15/2011, 12:05 AM
I have got to remember the rules over here!!

1. Everything is political

2. It's Obama's fault unless it's the state gubmint's fault.

3. Every thread will eventually end in poop.

Golly!
When did we stop blaming Booosh?
I wanted to mark my calendar.
:rolleyes:

soonercruiser
2/15/2011, 12:13 AM
If they were going to do that it'd be easier to add the 30 minutes before school, not afterwards. If it's at the end of the day you're just extending athletics for many students. Yup, that'll really help them :rolleyes:

MR2 and Jumperstop are correct!
A little time at the end of the day is simply wasted.
I did a one hour seminar to some professional students in November.
I ended 10 minutes early, so they could get to thier next class or clinic.
Of the 5 questions I formulated for the course final exam, they only did horrible on one question.
39% got my 5th questiom wrong; despite the fact that I emphasized it was an important current technology point.
**That just happened to be the last major thing that I discussed as they were closing their notebooks and laptops.....:rolleyes:

oklaclarinet
2/15/2011, 12:36 AM
That question was meant to be rhetorical. Adding 30 minutes to the day will not be as benificial to the students as adding extra days.

That would be true if everyone actually used all the days to the full benefit. The problem is, as many people have stated, that you have to get as much instruction in before standardized tests, which are in middle to late April. After this, many students and teachers check out. I personally know many teachers who stop actually teaching after testing is over and just try to throw in as many field trips and blow off activities as they can until the end of school. You add in another two weeks at the end, that's two more weeks for kids to blow off when they don't care any more and two more weeks that those of us who actually do teach until the last day have to fight kids who don't want to do anything because they aren't doing anything in any other class. (This is an ever bigger problem with elementary classes.)

And it's not just tested subjects that could benefit more from time now rather than later. Think of groups like bands and choirs that could use more time to prepare for contests and concerts that aren't going to be pushed later.

RacerX
2/15/2011, 08:23 AM
Edmond is voting on/will pass extending the school day by 40 minutes. At least one of the snow days was unwarranted, but they were surveying the neighborhood streets via helicopter instead of car.

My children go to a grade school that doesn't start until 9am. This is going to disrupt their after school activities and will most likely result in them being pulled from school early 3 days a week.

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 08:36 AM
when parents don't care, the children suffer

SoonerJack
2/15/2011, 09:25 AM
We have many education experts in this thread.

Any teachers, principals, or admins? Just curious.

Partial Qualifier
2/15/2011, 09:47 AM
Hell of a workout too. That hill aint no joke.

For serious! I'm not in horrible shape, but I was all bent over trying to catch my breath after the 7th or 8th trip up that damn hill :P

Mongo
2/15/2011, 09:50 AM
For serious! I'm not in horrible shape, but I was all bent over trying to catch my breath after the 7th or 8th trip up that damn hill :P

You had me at "all bent over trying to catch".

texaspokieokie
2/15/2011, 10:11 AM
kids need to learn that saturdys aren't sacred.
(actually, before college, saturdys are kinda sacred)
i had a saturdy class in college, maybe 2, can't remember.

in the working world, many days will be spent on the job.

get ready for it.

don't care what teachers think, look @ all the time-off they get.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 10:35 AM

A/S/L?

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 10:54 AM
I just graduated from public school, i had 87 absences of the final semester of my senior year and i was just fine. Public schooling is a joke. And btw, i was usually working or sleeping and my absences were excused by my parents.

soonerchk
2/15/2011, 11:12 AM
Golly!
When did we stop blaming Booosh?
I wanted to mark my calendar.
:rolleyes:

No idea, I've only been here since October.

As for the add on, my understanding is that the time will be spread out over each class resulting in a total of 30 minutes more class time a day.

Partial Qualifier
2/15/2011, 11:19 AM

lulz I knew you'd jump on that. Pardon the pun

texaspokieokie
2/15/2011, 11:41 AM
I just graduated from public school, i had 87 absences of the final semester of my senior year and i was just fine. Public schooling is a joke. And btw, i was usually working or sleeping and my absences were excused by my parents.

yeah, but nobody else is as smart as you.
87 absences means you only went to class 3 days.

My Opinion Matters
2/15/2011, 12:04 PM
Cancelling classes for 9 days was ridiculous, but I'm not really seeing the problem with this solution for making up the time.

Eielson
2/15/2011, 01:57 PM

I'm pretty sure most places wouldn't give you credit with that many absences.

3rdgensooner
2/15/2011, 02:17 PM
But his parents were certainly supporting his education.

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 02:46 PM
So your plan to make up all these snow days is to extend the school day by 30 minutes? Who's running the show, a bunch of circus chimps? This is absurd. No wonder we're getting our global *** kicked. We treat education like an inconvenience. **** this ****.

We need to hire a Tiger Mom to run TPS.

What's your problem with that? Both the kids and teachers are already there. Why ask them to come back for additional days if there is a way around it?

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 02:47 PM
Then they're ****ing lazy and should go find another job.

Clueless . . . that's what this post implies.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/15/2011, 02:47 PM
he hates kids

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 02:56 PM
he hates kids

Damn straight.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 03:00 PM
What's your problem with that? Both the kids and teachers are already there. Why ask them to come back for additional days if there is a way around it?

Because they got two weeks off in February? The decision made by TPS is completely and totally expected. It's the easiest solution to the problem, but in my opinion it isn't in the best interest of the kids, rather it's a quick fix to asinine regulations put forth by the state.

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 03:05 PM
Because they got two weeks off in February? The decision made by TPS is completely and totally expected. It's the easiest solution to the problem, but in my opinion it isn't in the best interest of the kids, rather it's a quick fix to asinine regulations put forth by the state.

Having two weeks off in February has no bearing on how well a student will do with a longer school day.

Eielson
2/15/2011, 03:17 PM
But his parents were certainly supporting his education.

It doesn't matter in most places. I believe over 10 absences, excused or not, is the standard for losing credit. That can be overruled, but not for "sleeping and working."

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 03:40 PM
Having two weeks off in February has no bearing on how well a student will do with a longer school day.

Aww **** it. Just ignore the snow days. Don't make no difference anyways.

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 03:59 PM
Aww **** it. Just ignore the snow days. Don't make no difference anyways.

Yep. That's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 04:00 PM
yeah, but nobody else is as smart as you.
87 absences means you only went to class 3 days.

well we had 4 classes a day and i missed 87 combined, i actually would almmost every day, just some days til 12, others after 12.

yeah i know, but i read, and re-read the attendance policy to make sure before i did.

I made all A's, so they didnt mind. My mom excused every single one too.

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 04:02 PM
well we had 4 classes a day and i missed 87 combined, i actually would almmost every day, just some days til 12, others after 12.

yeah i know, but i read, and re-read the attendance policy to make sure before i did.

I made all A's, so they didnt mind. My mom excused every single one too.

it's probably a good thing your granddad didn't skip as much practice as you did school...

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 04:04 PM
it's probably a good thing your granddad didn't skip as much practice as you did school...

lol it wasnt skipping, i just liked working and sleeping better. school was (is) too easy for me.

Mongo
2/15/2011, 04:25 PM
lol it wasnt skipping, i just liked working and sleeping better. school was (is) too easy for me.

Doogie Howzer became a doctor. You post pics of your tweets:D

MR2-Sooner86
2/15/2011, 04:37 PM
I just found out my brother's school will be:
Extending each day by 45 minutes to where they will now get out at 4:00 pm.
Cutting a third of the time from all lunch breaks.
Taking out two days of Spring Break.

Is May and the first couple weeks of June really that sacred that teachers can't work during that time? Seriously is that in their contract or what?

OutlandTrophy
2/15/2011, 05:04 PM
did you attend the school board meeting where they discussed this?

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 06:29 PM
don't care what teachers think, look @ all the time-off they get.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

This myth that teachers only work 40 hours a week for 9 months is crap.

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 07:52 PM

"Those that cant do, teach"

If you want to make more money, dont get a teaching degree.

Ive had enough bad teachers in my life to know that its not that hard. My cousin is a teacher, she dosnt complain, she works. I dont stick up for teachers.

They get their own office, limited oversight, most of mine (public school) left when we did, and regardless of what you think, a lot of vacation time. Not to mention they will NEVER have to work weekends or holidays. Ever.

jumperstop
2/15/2011, 08:27 PM

Ive had enough bad teachers in my life to know that its not that hard. My cousin is a teacher, she dosnt complain, she works. I dont stick up for teachers.

They get their own office, limited oversight, most of mine (public school) left when we did, and regardless of what you think, a lot of vacation time. Not to mention they will NEVER have to work weekends or holidays. Ever.

Number 1 reason why I wanted to be a teacher when I started college. Then I realized I like money...

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 09:40 PM

Listen kid . . . pop off all you want and assume you know what you're talking about, but you flat out can't white wash every situation within a school based on your experience. You're basically insulting every teacher in one fell swoop. My wife included.

If your cousin doesn't complain she hasn't been around it long enough.

My wife just walked in the door after teaching all day and dealing with parents during conferences. She averages 60 hours a week and deals with spoiled, snotty-nosed 1st graders in one of the lowest income districts in the OKC metro area.

Outside of colleges, and coaches where do teachers even get an office? My wife has a desk in her classroom . . . you know, where she teaches.

Teachers don't work weekends or holidays? What world do you live in?

oudavid1
2/15/2011, 09:51 PM
Listen kid . . . pop off all you want and assume you know what you're talking about, but you flat out can't white wash every situation within a school based on your experience. You're basically insulting every teacher in one fell swoop. My wife included.

My wife just walked in the door after teaching all day and dealing with parents during conferences. She averages 60 hours a week and deals with spoiled, snotty-nosed 1st graders in one of the lowest income districts in the OKC metro area.

Outside of colleges, and coaches where do teachers even get an office? My wife has a desk in her classroom . . . you know, where she teaches.

Listen, im not saying anything directly at your wife as a person, i am talking about the profession she choose. I dont like it. I never have. And if doing something for 13 years now dosnt get my experience.....than why do we have teachers. I had a lot of great teachers, because they were great people. Everyone has complaints about there job, i understand that. And i think elementary school teaching can be difficult. I wouldnt know, i have only subbed(if you call that teaching) in high school. And no, i wouldnt want to do it everyday. Public schools are a joke, especially the ones i went to. But i have no sympathy for someone doing something they love.

Eielson
2/15/2011, 09:58 PM

Ever thought of taking harder classes?

Leroy Lizard
2/15/2011, 10:00 PM
I just don't get making up school days. Look, it snowed, so the kids miss a few days. Big ****ing deal. Is the information so vital that we have to somehow make up those days?

Uhhh, yes it is.

Eielson
2/15/2011, 10:00 PM

Please tell this to my teacher who was a Presidential Scholar.

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2011, 10:07 PM
Listen, im not saying anything directly at your wife as a person, i am talking about the profession she choose. I dont like it. I never have.

Why? Because you think it's magically different than other professions? Because of the myth that all teachers don't work more than 9 months/year?

And if doing something for 13 years now dosnt get my experience.....than why do we have teachers.

You're comparing you going to school to actually teaching?

I had a lot of great teachers, because they were great people.

So because you liked them you thought they were great teachers?

Everyone has complaints about there job, i understand that.

Have any teachers chimed in on this and complained? Other than assumptions being made about when they work and why folks feel certain schedules aren't feasible. There are any number of reasons why not going to school on a Saturday or adding days to the end of the year wouldn't work. Stating them isn't necessarily complaining.

And i think elementary school teaching can be difficult. I wouldnt know, i have only subbed(if you call that teaching) in high school.

Teaching at all levels can be difficult. Public school, private school, it doesn't matter. Both have their own challenges.

And no, i wouldnt want to do it everyday. Public schools are a joke, especially the ones i went to.

So that makes all of them a joke?

But i have no sympathy for someone doing something they love.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy. Just don't slam an entire profession because you felt/feel school was to easy for you . . . and because you assume teachers do what they want when they want with no guidance or direction.

sperry
2/15/2011, 10:25 PM

You truly are an idiot. You're a freshman at bullsh1t directional state university, and come on here and pop off belittling a very noble profession, all of whom have college degrees, and many of whom have advanced degrees. You should probably stick to posting pictures of tweets.

Leroy Lizard
2/15/2011, 10:31 PM
Teaching is hard work if you want to do it well.

Those that don't try hard have it pretty easy.

If you're not very skilled, however, you can end up going home pretty frazzled at the end of the day.

Mongo
2/15/2011, 10:38 PM
oudavid is going to get a glimpse of work when he gets the film job at school.

Now dont tell him he WONT be there evaluating films and breaking them down for the player. He will be taking the practice/scrimmage/game film and cut it up to narrow to wide views, from behind/front/side angles, and by position.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 11:22 PM
Listen, im not saying anything directly at your wife as a person, i am talking about the profession she choose. I dont like it. I never have. And if doing something for 13 years now dosnt get my experience.....than why do we have teachers. I had a lot of great teachers, because they were great people. Everyone has complaints about there job, i understand that. And i think elementary school teaching can be difficult. I wouldnt know, i have only subbed(if you call that teaching) in high school. And no, i wouldnt want to do it everyday. Public schools are a joke, especially the ones i went to. But i have no sympathy for someone doing something they love.

Wait. Hang on. Don't you want to be a coach? Isn't that about teaching young minds?

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 11:23 PM
He will be taking...from behind

Go on...

Mongo
2/15/2011, 11:26 PM
Go on...

Now that was a stretch you heathen fornicator.

PM me, srsly.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2011, 11:27 PM
Now that was a stretch you heathen fornicator.

PM me, srsly.

You. Me. Howzit. Bathtub.

Thoughts?

Mongo
2/15/2011, 11:33 PM
Throw in some bacon grease, make it a hot tub, and I am game

oudavid1
2/16/2011, 12:36 AM
Why? Because you think it's magically different than other professions? Because of the myth that all teachers don't work more than 9 months/year?

magic and myths is something from your end. Not having to go anywhere to work is a huge plus

You're comparing you going to school to actually teaching?

Well going to school is the only thing in my life i will have ever done 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 36 weeks, for 12 years, and not gotten paid for. my friend drop out of school in the 7th grade, got her GED, and know goes to college.

So because you liked them you thought they were great teachers?

I see your point, but no, i didnt like all of them at first. I wasnt some slacker.

Have any teachers chimed in on this and complained? Other than assumptions being made about when they work and why folks feel certain schedules aren't feasible. There are any number of reasons why not going to school on a Saturday or adding days to the end of the year wouldn't work. Stating them isn't necessarily complaining.

i agree.

Teaching at all levels can be difficult. Public school, private school, it doesn't matter. Both have their own challenges.

yes, but i had my pick of both and i know which is better for teachers

So that makes all of them a joke?

no, Edmond schools are farther ahead than mine.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy. Just don't slam an entire profession because you felt/feel school was to easy for you . . . and because you assume teachers do what they want when they want with no guidance or direction.

I understand, and i dont want to slam the profession. Im just not sure how to judge the whole thing. People(not you) get to worked up over one side or the other.

You truly are an idiot. You're a freshman at bullsh1t directional state university, and come on here and pop off belittling a very noble profession, all of whom have college degrees, and many of whom have advanced degrees. You should probably stick to posting pictures of tweets.

First of all, i got into the University of Tennessee, im staying at home to help my parents take care of my younger brother you **** stick. Dont act like your better than me because of where you went to school. Im saving my parents buckets of cash, i dont care where i go to school. And ill talk about whatever i dam well please, you dont like it, ignore me.

Teaching is hard work if you want to do it well.

Those that don't try hard have it pretty easy.

If you're not very skilled, however, you can end up going home pretty frazzled at the end of the day.

i see your point. I agree.

oudavid is going to get a glimpse of work when he gets the film job at school.

Now dont tell him he WONT be there evaluating films and breaking them down for the player. He will be taking the practice/scrimmage/game film and cut it up to narrow to wide views, from behind/front/side angles, and by position.

please done assume ive never worked before. Ive work part time for the better part of the last 3 years.

Wait. Hang on. Don't you want to be a coach? Isn't that about teaching young minds?

Yes, absolutely, but to be honest, just young men. Im not sexist or anything, i just dont understand (or want too) women. Being a football coach is a lot easier than being a teacher, you get to use something that every person there(a football player) loves (or they wouldnt be there) to teach. Teachers have to teach stuff that 90% (rough guess) of their students dont care about.

To be honest, i shouldn't have called out teachers, its probably a ME problem anyway. But there were defiantly a lot that were very hard on me and i am thankful for it.

Mongo
2/16/2011, 01:14 AM
Holy ****. Part time for three years? My god man, I am sorry. I misjudged your work history. you do have the right to knock professions.

Coaching is easier than teaching? All the kids in football want to be there?

I can some what agree with the coaching/teaching argument, but that boils down to the teacher or coach attitude. I had students that cared, and I had players that were there to be apart of the post game party only. Totally different comparisons.

Sooner_Bob
2/16/2011, 08:18 AM
Can we get back to the bacon grease and hot tub discussion?

JohnnyMack
2/16/2011, 08:33 AM
David is like a dumb SicEm.

MR2-Sooner86
2/16/2011, 09:08 AM
:pop:

OutlandTrophy
2/16/2011, 09:15 AM
Maibee David shud learnt to spel befoar he saids that teechers is dumm.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 09:27 AM

i have a clue.

had a roommate that was teacher. he was always home when i went to work & he was already there when i got back. he never brought anything home.

sometimes he taught summer school & that only lasted until noon. he still had a month (or more) off. he got a months pay for 6 weeks of 1/2 days.

he told me that his starting pay in CA was equal to pay for teachers in OK with 16 yrs experience & a Masters. this was,however, a long time ago.

my neice lives across the street & she has 18 yrs exp. when she does extra stuff, (sometimes) she gets extra pay. she gets more time off than i ever did when i was working. some teachers work 60 hrs;some don't.

i, like little david, have lots of experience GOING to school. i have lots more than OUD, but none recently.
i know, that counts for zero.

OutlandTrophy
2/16/2011, 09:31 AM
I'm sure you've also seen a lot of movies but that doesn't make you a director, does it?

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sure you've also seen a lot of movies but that doesn't make you a director, does it?

it makes me more of a director than if i hadn't ever seen a movie .:D

OutlandTrophy
2/16/2011, 09:46 AM
fluffer, you'd be a good fluffer in the movies that I watch.
:D

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 09:49 AM
what's a "fluffer"?

JohnnyMack
2/16/2011, 10:11 AM
Mongo?

Leroy Lizard
2/16/2011, 12:10 PM
i have a clue.

had a roommate that was teacher. he was always home when i went to work & he was already there when i got back. he never brought anything home.

sometimes he taught summer school & that only lasted until noon. he still had a month (or more) off. he got a months pay for 6 weeks of 1/2 days.

So this teacher never had to grade any papers? Never had to prepare a lecture or activity?

That teacher is either incredibly efficient or lazy.

soonerchk
2/16/2011, 12:13 PM

:Standing ovation.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 12:13 PM
so you answered your own questions.

he quit teaching in the mid-70s & went into business with his Dad.

they are both deceased.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 12:16 PM
:Standing ovation.

yeah,but oudavie is smart enuff to have 87 abcenses (sp) & still have a 4.0.

plus he gets plenty of sleep.

soonerchk
2/16/2011, 12:16 PM
I understand, and i dont want to slam the profession. Im just not sure how to judge the whole thing. People(not you) get to worked up over one side or the other.

First of all, i got into the University of Tennessee, im staying at home to help my parents take care of my younger brother you **** stick. Dont act like your better than me because of where you went to school. Im saving my parents buckets of cash, i dont care where i go to school. And ill talk about whatever i dam well please, you dont like it, ignore me.

i see your point. I agree.

please done assume ive never worked before. Ive work part time for the better part of the last 3 years.

Yes, absolutely, but to be honest, just young men. Im not sexist or anything, i just dont understand (or want too) women. Being a football coach is a lot easier than being a teacher, you get to use something that every person there(a football player) loves (or they wouldnt be there) to teach. Teachers have to teach stuff that 90% (rough guess) of their students dont care about.

To be honest, i shouldn't have called out teachers, its probably a ME problem anyway. But there were defiantly a lot that were very hard on me and i am thankful for it.

And suddenly the reason David is here with the grownups and not hanging out with people his own age is crystal clear...

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 03:49 PM
Defiantly ???

Eielson
2/16/2011, 03:50 PM
If school was actually easy for David, I'd love to see what his schedule looked like.

texaspokieokie
2/16/2011, 04:13 PM
If school was actually easy for David, I'd love to see what his schedule looked like.

schedule didn't matter, he only went to class when he wasn't working or wasn't sleepy. he made As in everything but English.

RacerX
2/16/2011, 07:58 PM
It looks like Edmond is going to start 20 minutes early and finish 20 minutes later.

That's something we can work around.

oudavid1
2/16/2011, 09:02 PM
Holy ****. Part time for three years? My god man, I am sorry. I misjudged your work history. you do have the right to knock professions.

Coaching is easier than teaching? All the kids in football want to be there?

I can some what agree with the coaching/teaching argument, but that boils down to the teacher or coach attitude. I had students that cared, and I had players that were there to be apart of the post game party only. Totally different comparisons.

Sorry thats not enough, and just because i knock it dosnt mean im right. I have the right to be an idiot.

i guess?

Maibee David shud learnt to spel befoar he saids that teechers is dumm.

i kan spel juss fione tanks!

ive spent at least 330 hours in a classroom in my life, thats more time than 110 movies. And you cant really compare them.

yeah,but oudavie is smart enuff to have 87 abcenses (sp) & still have a 4.0.

plus he gets plenty of sleep.

i wont lie, i graduated with a 3.2.

and that semester with 87 absences i had 2 As, a B, and a C.

And suddenly the reason David is here with the grownups and not hanging out with people his own age is crystal clear...

because you guys are awesome?

What makes you think i dont hang out with people my own age?

it was easy.

schedule didn't matter, he only went to class when he wasn't working or wasn't sleepy. he made As in everything but English.

I didnt do as well in English as i should, but i learned a lot. Got an A on the final and that got me a B.

Eielson
2/16/2011, 11:11 PM
ive spent at least 330 hours in a classroom in my life, thats more time than 110 movies. And you cant really compare them.

You think you spent anywhere near as low as 330 hours in classrooms? I'm guessing you struggled with math.

and that semester with 87 absences i had 2 As, a B, and a C.

You have no room to call school too easy if that's how you did.

oudavid1
2/17/2011, 12:48 AM
You think you spent anywhere near as low as 330 hours in classrooms? I'm guessing you struggled with math.

No, Math got me a 31 on the ACT :D

You have no room to call school too easy if that's how you did.

That C is because i decided to get a C. That one is on me.

texaspokieokie
2/17/2011, 08:30 AM

why did you decide to get a C ???

oudavid1
2/17/2011, 08:47 AM
why did you decide to get a C ???

i didnt want to do the extra work.

tator
2/17/2011, 12:41 PM
The one thing in this thread that I can agree with.

And the bacon sex.

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2011, 08:50 AM
Did someone say bacon sex?

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 09:02 AM

you stated in post #59 that you made all :As". now you admit to a 3.2. which is it ???

you want spek ????

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2011, 09:03 AM
you stated in post #59 that you made all :As". now you admit to a 3.2. which is it ???

you want spek ????

3.1, 3.2 whatever it takes.

texaspokieokie
2/21/2011, 09:03 AM

you want spek ????

OUdavid Leake; no further comment on this, or do you want it to just fade away ???