PDA

View Full Version : Gray gone & Akina back at *

TahoeSOONER
2/14/2011, 11:30 AM
Tuck Fexas.

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2011/02/01/gray-and-akina-backstory/

TahoeSOONER
2/14/2011, 11:39 AM
That link only tells the back story but I guess Arizona AD has said that Akina is back at *.

Short stay for Gray.

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 12:15 PM
He left for family reasons, he came back for family reasons. It all sounds stupid.

DarrellZero
2/14/2011, 12:26 PM
This is all starting to smell like desperation.

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 12:28 PM
This is all starting to smell like desperation.

lol they were 5-7, its more than a smell.

sooner518
2/14/2011, 12:45 PM
Akina wants to go to AZ because he wants to be a DC and beacuse his brother is sick. Then Mike says he will be a co-DC. GRay has already basically accepted the UT job, so Akina takes the AZ job. Then Gray screws UT and goes to the Titans and Akina goes back to UT. Is that right?

Morans.

HBick
2/14/2011, 01:28 PM
That link only tells the back story but I guess Arizona AD has said that Akina is back at *.

Short stay for Gray.

I don't know if it's true, but they reported that Gray would be getting a contract worth 3 million, whereas he was only going to earn 425K at UT. Anyone able to confirm?

SoonerNutt
2/14/2011, 01:59 PM
Akina wants to go to AZ because he wants to be a DC and beacuse his brother is sick. Then Mike says he will be a co-DC. GRay has already basically accepted the UT job, so Akina takes the AZ job. Then Gray screws UT and goes to the Titans and Akina goes back to UT. Is that right?

Morans.

Sound about right.

* has been comedy gold this year. I know it won't last forever, so I am savoring every hilarious little nugget.

Sucks for Mike Stoops though. He's probably about ready to pile drive a random passer-by right now.

Salt City Sooner
2/14/2011, 02:55 PM

Morans.
His brother died, so the "family reasons" that he left UT for in the first place are no longer there.

yankee
2/14/2011, 03:38 PM

Morans.

So brother Stoops lied to him? If that's the case, I'd be pissed and want out of there.

King Barry's Back
2/14/2011, 03:47 PM
I don't know if it's true, but they reported that Gray would be getting a contract worth 3 million, whereas he was only going to earn 425K at UT. Anyone able to confirm?

One article mentioned that his salary would more than double, but I don't remember where I saw it.

Sorry to hear about his brother.

TahoeSOONER
2/14/2011, 03:58 PM
It's terrible that he lost his brother and I've always respected Akina. He's had some good secondaries and I've read that he was a large part of coaching their special teams to block punts.

I say we give him a welcome back, though you never really left, present and hang 60 plus on his defense.

Gray had allot of potential there and I'm glad he jumped that sinking ship.

soonerchk
2/14/2011, 04:01 PM
I can't think of any case where hiring back someone who already quit works well.

This could be fun!

badger
2/14/2011, 04:10 PM
If Mack offers more money, it isn't because you are worth it or because Mack wants you that badly. It's because Texas has lots of money and can do whatever the hell it wants. If it pays Mack Brown $5 million to post a losing record, then it can dole out lots of cash for other crappy coaches too.

Same goes for players. Crappy players and mediocre players alike will get more cash to suck at Texas than they will get to suck elsewhere. Why leave your home state to suck if you suck more at home and get paid more to suck more!

:D texas sucking is such fun message board fodder

soonerchk
2/14/2011, 04:17 PM
texas sucking is such fun message board fodder

I'm sure it would get boring eventually. Like after 10 or 12 years in a row. Maybe.

badger
2/14/2011, 04:42 PM
I'm sure it would get boring eventually. Like after 10 or 12 years in a row. Maybe.

Tell ya what - i'll get tired of it when we own the head-to-head and texas fans can no longer claim that. also, i want oklahoma's border to get extended to dallas so they can't do all those lame "you're in texas now" signs at the RRS game. plus, we'd have a lot less alums leaving the state then.

Mike Stoops
2/14/2011, 04:51 PM
Tell ya what - i'll get tired of it when we own the head-to-head and texas fans can no longer claim that. also, i want oklahoma's border to get extended to dallas so they can't do all those lame "you're in texas now" signs at the RRS game. plus, we'd have a lot less alums leaving the state then.

I'll take our 7 national titles over their 4, our 5 Heisman winners over their 2, our 43 conference titles over their 32 and our 74 consensus All-Americans over their 53 than the head-to-head record. Most of that record was compiled back when people were driving Model T's anyway.

goingoneight
2/14/2011, 08:42 PM
What could be better than 28-20 and 5-7?

65-13 and 4-8. :D

bluedogok
2/14/2011, 10:03 PM
I can't think of any case where hiring back someone who already quit works well.
Didn't Jay Norvell did the same thing to OU at one time?

"Going back" is very common in the architecture/engineering profession whether they quit or were laid-off. I know that I went back to the same firm in OKC and spent a total of 11 years there, almost everyone in OKC (or Tulsa) in the profession has either worked there or knows someone who worked there. Especially in smaller markets like OKC the smart ones don't burn bridges or else you'll see your prospects disappear.

soonerbub
2/14/2011, 10:19 PM
What could be better than 28-20 and 5-7?

98-0* and 0-12 :D

FIFY :mack:

*includes taking a knee several times in the 4th

soonerchk
2/15/2011, 11:20 AM

Make sure the border moves to put the Galleria on our side. We deserve Nordstroms.

soonerchk
2/15/2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't Jay Norvell did the same thing to OU at one time?

"Going back" is very common in the architecture/engineering profession whether they quit or were laid-off. I know that I went back to the same firm in OKC and spent a total of 11 years there, almost everyone in OKC (or Tulsa) in the profession has either worked there or knows someone who worked there. Especially in smaller markets like OKC the smart ones don't burn bridges or else you'll see your prospects disappear.

Exact opposite of my experience in my profession and in my actual job. Every time someone left and came back, they were gone again within 6 months, and it was usually ugly.