PDA

View Full Version : Eight redshirt freshmen who could make an impact in 2011

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 10:37 AM
Last week, ESPN's Bruce Feldman ranked his top 10 redshirt freshmen primed to do big things in 2011.

Justin McCay, a senior high school football player at Bishop Miege, is the No. 1 recruit in the Kansas City area, according to Rivals.com. He was essentially raised by one parent and is looking at his senior year as his introduction to manhood. With a lot on his plate already, he is taking his football skills to the University of Oklahoma (OU).

Eight redshirt freshmen who could make an impact in 2011

Hitting the board at No. 5 on Feldman's list was Oklahoma defensive end Geneo Grissom. The Hutchinson, Kan., native “has the looks of a future starter,” Feldman writes “and he might've played last season had he not sustained a broken foot.”

By the end of last season, Bob Stoops was calling his 2010 freshman class the best he'd ever recruited. And not just exclusively because of the 13 who made immediate impacts; also because of freshmen like Grissom who redshirted last season due to injury, depth or a need to develop physically.

This spring, at least eight of these players — and maybe more — will be worth watching. Eight players who seem primed to impact the 2011 season:

GENEO GRISSOM, DEFENSIVE END

Had he not suffered a hairline fracture in his foot in the preseason, Grissom would have almost certainly factored into the rotation at end despite OU's strong depth there.

“We were going to play him, too,” Stoops said after the injury. “That's the quality of player we think he is.”

Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander are the favorites to start next season at end. But don't be shocked if Grissom makes a strong push to be in the starting lineup, as well.

TORREA PETERSON, DEFENSIVE TACKLE

If there was any position OU needed help last season, it was defensive tackle, where the Sooners were ravaged by injuries. Unfortunately for Peterson, he too was injured, missing the first half of the season with a knee injury that forced him to redshirt. Had he not been injured, like Grissom, Peterson probably would have ultimately contributed.

Casey Walker and Daniel Noble, who both missed several games because of injury, are back at tackle, and the Sooners signed a pair of intriguing prospects in Marquis Anderson and Jordan Phillips who have the potential to play right away. The competition at tackle will be fierce. But before he got hurt, Peterson showed lots of promise and is capable of working his way into the two-deep before the opener.

JAMES HAYNES AND JULIAN WILSON, DEFENSIVE BACKS

The biggest blow to the Sooner defense due to graduation is at safety, where OU will have to replace three-year starter and consensus All-American Quinton Carter and two-year starter Jonathan Nelson.

Stoops has suggested Tony Jefferson and Joe Iblioye will remain in the nickelback role, and the way Javon Harris was used and performed last season suggests he'll fill one of the starting safety spots. That leaves the other starting safety spot wide open. Sam Proctor, who started there in 2009 before losing his job to Nelson, figures to be the favorite. Others like Kevin Brent and Lamar Harris will also be given a shot, but keep an eye out for Haynes and Wilson, who athletically are versatile enough to play any of the secondary positions.

JUSTIN MCCAY, WIDE RECEIVER

With the instant success of the other freshmen, it's easy to forget that McCay was the No. 1 prospect in OU's class, according to Rivals. Problem was, for all his athleticism, McCay stepped on campus raw as a receiver, converse to the more polished Kenny Stills and Trey Franks.

With the healthy return of Dejuan Miller and summer arrival of 5-star signee Trey Metoyer, playing time will be difficult to come by at receiver. But for now, McCay's combination of size and speed could and should be utilized on the coverage units.

ADAM SHEAD, TYRUS THOMPSON AND DARYL WILLIAMS, OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

The Sooners technically return four starters on the offensive line. But in truth, after center Ben Habern and left guard Gabe Ikard, the other three spots are up for grabs.

Tackles Donald Stephenson and Jarvis Jones and guard Tyler Evans figure to fill out the starting lineup. But they'll be pressed by the promising trio of Shead, Thompson and Williams, whom Stoops repeatedly singled out for standing out in closed practices.

All three could vie for starting roles; at worst, they'll be factors in the two-deep rotation up front.

Read more: Linkage (http://newsok.com/eight-redshirt-freshmen-who-could-make-an-impact-in-2011/article/3540647#ixzz1DwpxqT9D)

There is a pole on the link.

yermom
2/14/2011, 12:05 PM
i like the idea of it being crowded in the interior DL rotation

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 12:13 PM
i like the idea of it being crowded in the interior DL rotation

and in opposing teams offensive backfields.

TMcGee86
2/14/2011, 12:19 PM
JUSTIN MCCAY, WIDE RECEIVER

With the instant success of the other freshmen, it's easy to forget that McCay was the No. 1 prospect in OU's class, according to Rivals. Problem was, for all his athleticism, McCay stepped on campus raw as a receiver, converse to the more polished Kenny Stills and Trey Franks.

With the healthy return of Dejuan Miller and summer arrival of 5-star signee Trey Metoyer, playing time will be difficult to come by at receiver. But for now, McCay's combination of size and speed could and should be utilized on the coverage units.

Man, our WR corps next year is going to be insane. With Broyles coming back, when you factor in Stills and Franks, and then add Miller? Plus Jaz? Plus Joe Powell? Plus Metoyer? Plus Mccay?

Fuggitaboutit.

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 12:31 PM
Man, our WR corps next year is going to be insane. With Broyles coming back, when you factor in Stills and Franks, and then add Miller? Plus Jaz? Plus Joe Powell? Plus Metoyer? Plus Mccay?

Fuggitaboutit.

Broyles
Stills
Miller
Franks
Metoyer
Powell
McCay
McClain
Jackson
Jaz........eh?
Thats how i see it working.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/14/2011, 12:57 PM
when was the last time we had a true freshman start at DE? johnathon jackson?

NormanPride
2/14/2011, 01:39 PM
Frank Alexander didn't start, but he got good playing time.

JLEW1818
2/14/2011, 04:14 PM
Frank is going to kill people this year...

I hope RJ Washington can come up big.

KantoSooner
2/14/2011, 04:49 PM
I'd really, really like our defense to play with cold rage this year.

oudavid1
2/14/2011, 07:24 PM
I'd really, really like our defense to play with cold rage this year.

i love it when people say stuff like this. You get ME pumped up. And im a little guy.

SunnySooner
2/14/2011, 07:56 PM
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1132598/gallery_photo

My fave pic of Big Frank...he looks like he's about to have a Ponder sammich. ;)

2121Sooner
2/14/2011, 07:58 PM
Can you imagine how good we would look if we still had Blake around here to recruit player for Stoops to coach?

**please have sarcasm meter on**

Leroy Lizard
2/15/2011, 04:03 AM
Can you imagine how good we would look if we still had Blake around here to recruit player for Stoops to coach?

If Blake was still here:

"At 6'7" and 340 lb, John Smith has been offered a scholarship at nearly every major power, but he will join the Sooners. Coach John Blake is excited about the signee, who he says should compete for the starting running back position right away."

budbarrybob
2/15/2011, 07:51 AM

A.P. Newsline: OU is embroiled in yet another NCAA investigation. Sources revealed that several recuits over the past year have been receiving "paid" benefits. John Blake is the recruiting coordinator in Norman. OU has recruited extremely well over the past decade and now seems to ready to take on yet another title run. However, the NCAA investigators have turned the "Eye of Mordor" upon the Sooner Nation once again. Many of the teams that OU has dominated over the years have cried foul saying OU can't be THAT good year in and year out. Mack Brown has been quoted "After this investigation maybe we won't need that asterick" If the allegations are proven correct this could be the ONE RING that in darkness binds them.

picasso
2/15/2011, 10:35 AM

Fuggitaboutit.

You can see in McCay's high school film that he's got a crazy extra gear out in the open.
Has that deceptive long stride speed like Antwone Savage.

TahoeSOONER
2/15/2011, 11:09 AM
It's time RJ, if you can't finally step it up I would like to introduce you to the future.

GENEO GRISSOM

stoopified
2/15/2011, 11:30 AM
How many days 'til kickoff?

Mad Dog Madsen
2/15/2011, 11:33 AM
I really hope TORREA PETERSON can get in the rotation and do some damage. I've been wanting to see what he can do for a while now. I believe that's AD's cousin right???

KantoSooner
2/15/2011, 11:37 AM
There's very little that substitutes for getting penetration into an enemy's backfield. I hope to see a lot of that this fall.

47straight
2/15/2011, 11:44 AM
There's very little that substitutes for getting penetration into an enemy's backfield. I hope to see a lot of that this fall.

NTTTAWT

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2011, 12:33 PM
It's time RJ, if you can't finally step it up I would like to introduce you to the future.

GENEO GRISSOM

i think you should go back and look at our history of highly touted DE prospects. it has been the one position where the lesser heralded player has consistently turned out to be a more productive player.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/15/2011, 01:05 PM

I think that was a line from Sparticus.

NormanPride
2/15/2011, 01:06 PM
Grissom wasn't really highly touted coming out of high school. It was when he got on campus that everyone started talking about him.

swardboy
2/15/2011, 01:17 PM
What's up with all the freshman injuries last pre-season? Sounds like our d-line could've been a lot more sound if these pansies could survive two-a-days.

:D

Soonermagik
2/15/2011, 01:26 PM
I think DE was one area where this team struggled last year. There were too many games where there was virtually no pressure. Most national title teams have great lines on both sides of the ball.

gaylordfan1
2/15/2011, 01:49 PM
I think DE was one area where this team struggled last year. There were too many games where there was virtually no pressure.

Then we went to the 50 front with 4 DE's and only 1 DT.... I think it worked out for us. I actually think our DE's looked pretty damn good last year.

Soonermagik
2/15/2011, 02:06 PM
Then we went to the 50 front with 4 DE's and only 1 DT.... I think it worked out for us. I actually think our DE's looked pretty damn good last year.

That's true, that 50 front seemed to work really well. I hope guys like RJ Washington and Grissom can live up to the hype. If this team wants to win the national title, they are going to need to get a lot of sacks and get constant pressure.

There will likely be games where the offense sputters and they will need the defense to carry the team.

goingoneight
2/15/2011, 04:46 PM
Stoops was really high on Grissom before he got hurt. DE wasn't exactly where we needed help though by the time he was healthy. I'm gonna guess he quietly surrises like Auston English did in 2007.

Salt City Sooner
2/15/2011, 05:40 PM
He won't surprise me a bit (not that I'm a homer or anything :P ).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/15/2011, 05:59 PM
I think DE was one area where this team struggled last year. There were too many games where there was virtually no pressure. Most national title teams have great lines on both sides of the ball.

personally, i think that was just a by-product of how bad our linebackers were at run defense. any time they turned our DEs loose and let them charge at the QB, we had decent pressure (21 sacks is 4 more than we've had any of the last 5 years). the problem was that most of the season they were giving up their first step so we could defend run first.

the 2 critical things that i see needing to improve for next year are:

1. linebackers who aren't blocked 90% of the time. that figure needs to be cut in half or we'd be better off without them.

2. a higher percentage of long drives after an opponent scores. we were at 50-60% 3 and outs on the season after an opponent scores.

NormanPride
2/15/2011, 06:19 PM
How much of that is play calling, and how much of that is players on offense?

And on D I can see the LBs getting better with some competition in there.