PDA

View Full Version : Article in Austin American Statesman on TU football

ashley
2/13/2011, 01:31 PM
Pull up the Austin Statesman and go to sports and read the article on TU football. WOW. Talk about a meltdown this year.

thurman murman
2/13/2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/what-went-wrong-a-case-study-of-texas-1250376.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns&viewAsSinglePage=true

Jacie
2/13/2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/what-went-wrong-a-case-study-of-texas-1250376.html

What went wrong: A case study of Texas' 2010 football season
Insiders point to Mack Brown, coaches missing warning signs long before the first kickoff.

By Kirk Bohls and Randy Riggs
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Updated: 7:10 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011
Published: 8:53 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011

The article is long and doesn't contain any new info though some of the insider bits confirm events hinted at (the Muschamp blow-up, for example), but it a nice start-to-finish look at what happened to sa*et in 2010. Whorn fans wish this one had not come out (most of them don't approve of Kirk Bohls since he writes as an outsider rather than a fan) as it paints a pretty grim picture of the program and is loaded with finger pointing from individual players to the coaching staff. The article should serve as a warning to any program lead by those who consider themselves above reproach, immune to the consequences of their actions (USC comes to mind), lest they too discover that past success means nothing to present circumstance.

3rdgensooner
2/13/2011, 01:56 PM
A severe depression hangover from the loss to Alabama in the national championship game on Jan. 7, 2010. It was an exhausting disappointment to Brown, who had worked so hard to get his team to the championship and who told confidantes he was certain his Longhorns would beat the Crimson Tide.They'd never survive multiple MNC losses.

agoo758
2/13/2011, 02:19 PM
"A lack of dedication in summer conditioning and training, culminating with an eye-opening struggle against Texas State in a 7-on-7 game in July."

So they ACTUALLY DID forget to lift weights! :pop:

But it's really simple what happened in 2010 for te*as. They lost a lot of talent at all positions and they were replaced by people who wern't mature enough to handle the situation. This is what happens when the extent of scouting in a program involves nothing more than staring at ESPN top 100 recruiting reports.

SicEmBaylor
2/13/2011, 02:21 PM
Can you please refrain from calling them "TU." That's such a retarded-*** Aggie thing. Is reversing letters really that big of an insult? Besides, it just insults the University of Tulsa.

A Sooner in Texas
2/13/2011, 02:21 PM
They'd never survive multiple MNC losses.

Kinda says something about the strength and quality of our coaches, doesn't it?

sooner518
2/13/2011, 02:27 PM
"A lack of dedication in summer conditioning and training, culminating with an eye-opening struggle against Texas State in a 7-on-7 game in July."

So they ACTUALLY DID forget to lift weights! :pop:

But it's really simple what happened in 2010 for te*as. They lost a lot of talent at all positions and they were replaced by people who wern't mature enough to handle the situation. This is what happens when the extent of scouting in a program involves nothing more than staring at ESPN top 100 recruiting reports.

Don't undersell the efforts if their coaches! I'm sure they bought scout and rivals subscriptions too! That stuff ain't cheap!

AlboSooner
2/13/2011, 03:05 PM

Mack's breakfast bowl after the loss.
http://www.laleva.org/eng/201012141015.jpg

Also, I find it funny that there are so many "former players", "sources close t0 the program" who knew the talent wasn't good enough, and knew that Texas would struggle....where were they at the start of the year?

Widescreen
2/13/2011, 03:18 PM
That dude from the redskins seems like a yes-man. Did he not have anything critical to say? Why did they lose 7 games if they have all this awesome young talent and that Gilbert is great? I hope they keep believing that crap.

Flagstaffsooner
2/13/2011, 03:44 PM
All is well and as it should be.

yarddawg
2/13/2011, 04:04 PM
fags and all, stupid horns

OU Engineer
2/13/2011, 04:19 PM
Can you please refrain from calling them "TU." That's such a retarded-*** Aggie thing. Is reversing letters really that big of an insult? Besides, it just insults the University of Tulsa.

Second.

TU is Tulsa and UT is Texas, but really should be UTA.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

PLaw
2/13/2011, 04:38 PM
Kinda says something about the strength and quality of our coaches, doesn't it?

Yep, unfortunate things like that are certainly character builders.

Boomer

cleller
2/13/2011, 05:12 PM
That article reads like some sensational disaster documentary.

"The coliseum was built to withstand an earthquake, floods, and heavy snowfall. What no one had counted on were the epic forces of a rapid meltdown of the Oklahoma snowfall, the improbable sudden startup of Boone Picken's windfarm, a Chick-Fil-A grand opening, and Mathew Mcconaughey body waxathon all colliding in Austin during Mack Brown's banjo hoe-down weekend."

MyT Oklahoma
2/13/2011, 05:55 PM
:pop:

badger
2/13/2011, 06:31 PM
This was a fun read. Couldn't have happened to a nicer program after the way they shoved around the little guys (Read: Everyone except OU) of the Big 12 during the offseason.

bluedogok
2/13/2011, 09:42 PM
I heard from a few people that Mack was set to retire after the win over Bama, he wanted leave at the top and move to the AD's office for then yet determined position.

Also, I find it funny that there are so many "former players", "sources close t0 the program" who knew the talent wasn't good enough, and knew that Texas would struggle....where were they at the start of the year?
I heard from a few prior to the season, at the time they didn't think it would be that bad but they were buoyed a little bit by OU's struggles early in the season against teams deemed inferior.

Second.

Just a pet peeve of mine.
UTA is in Arlington, everyone knows the flagship school is in Austin so there is no need for the "A". Just like the flagship of the A&M system is in College Station and not called Texas A&M-College Station like all the other campuses with their secondary names like the UT system.

I do find the whole TU and UO thing that aggies do rather aggie. I also think teasip is aggie as well, I refuse to refer to them using aggie nomenclature.

rainiersooner
2/13/2011, 11:18 PM
One season before, the Longhorns were four points away late in the fourth quarter from beating Alabama and winning the national championship for the second time in five years.

I love Texas logic: saying they were four points away from beating Alabama when the final score was 21-37 makes as much sense as saying they tied the game with Alabama at the beginning of the first quarter.

stoopified
2/14/2011, 12:33 AM
Funny stuff

kevpks
2/14/2011, 12:46 AM

Listen to the UB guy. He is onto something here. ;)

OUstud
2/14/2011, 01:07 AM
I love Texas logic: saying they were four points away from beating Alabama when the final score was 21-37 makes as much sense as saying they tied the game with Alabama at the beginning of the first quarter.

While we're on pet peeves... :gary:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/14/2011, 12:36 PM
UTA is in Arlington, everyone knows the flagship school is in Austin so there is no need for the "A". Just like the flagship of the A&M system is in College Station and not called Texas A&M-College Station like all the other campuses with their secondary names like the UT system.

So why are the Bugeaters known as Univeristy of Nebraska - Lincoln???

KantoSooner
2/14/2011, 12:37 PM
It's the only way anyone can keep them separate from the University of Nebraska - Platte River.

Partial Qualifier
2/14/2011, 12:43 PM
Guys - the point of this thread is "Texas Sucks". Their problems (outlined in this article) are not easily remedied. Please stay on topic; the epicness of their suckitude deserves full attention. Thank you.

TMcGee86
2/14/2011, 12:49 PM
Part of the reason for the season's troubles can be traced to the surprisingly average play of Gilbert, whose 10 passing touchdowns — with a rushing attack ranked 66th in the nation — couldn't offset his 17 interceptions.

It's interesting, ut is now in the position that OU would have been had Brett Romar not left the program. Would we have been better, or would he have continued to put up mediocre numbers and wasted years that SB eventually got.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/14/2011, 12:55 PM
there are some interesting parallels to our struggles over the years.

1. notice that the staff had been together for 5 years and they were just then having recruiting problems. new coaches tend to have bad recruiting classes their 1st 2 years, even while they "re-energize" their predecessor's recruits i.e. they make an honest appraisal of their abilities and stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. revamping the staff will be a short term boon, but they are going to be back in this same position in several years.

2. one thing that isn't brought up in this article is the early offers. texas has been recruiting sophomores and juniors, not juniors and seniors. much like penn state before them, you end up with several monsters this way, but the overall class tends to be weak.

3. vince young -> meat i @ 6 1/2 if yu wont 2 beet oh hi oh staight

4. how on earth was the spread supposed to be more effective with squints and those receivers?

Partial Qualifier
2/14/2011, 12:57 PM
Well.. I seriously doubt we'd go 5-7 and create a situation where Bob Stoops had to fire coordinators in order to save his own job.

The whole idea of Mack floating around at 35,000 feet, "managing like a CEO" is one of the most ridiculous mental images imaginable. If that's even remotely true, the entitlement mentality down there has indeed permeated throughout the program.

Can Texas recruit their way into another MNC like they did in 2005? I know they *can* recruit their way out of this hole, but I doubt they can reach the pinnacle again with entitlement issues.

Texas Football: doing less with more than any other sports organization in the history of the world

badger
2/14/2011, 01:14 PM
The whole idea of Mack floating around at 35,000 feet, "managing like a CEO" is one of the most ridiculous mental images imaginable.

The end-result of UT having more sports money than they know what to do with. They can now afford to pay coaches $5 million a season to do nothing but allow their head to fill with helium till their head's big enough to float them to 35k in the sky.

There is just so much win in this article about Texas losing. If they were in our position, they would be permanently ROFLing.

Mack: So, we all know that we are going to beat Iowa State.
(players mentally check out)
Mack: But you see, OU just beat them 52-0, so we have to out-do that
(assistants mentally check out)
Mack: Because it's not just good enough to win at UT, you have to win with style!
(lockerroom crickets mentally check out, the room is now dead silent)
Mack: So let's go out there and beat Oklahoma!
(Texas proceeds to lose to Iowa State 28-21 at home)

Mack: Derp... players entitled, assistants didn't adequately prepare players. I guess I might be partially slightly minorly accountable that we didn't beat Oklahoma... durrrrr, I mean Iowa State.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

milesl
2/14/2011, 01:32 PM
Oh my god!
Where is my jerkins lotion?

"Oklahoma just beat these guys 52-0," Brown told them, according to a source who heard the lines. "We have to match that. We have to make a statement."

Instead, Texas managed only a field goal in the opening half and was held in check in a 28-21 loss that reverberated around the nation. Muschamp blew up at Davis for questioning his defense afterward. A week after a supposedly statement-making road win over Nebraska, the Longhorns had dropped two straight at Royal-Memorial for the first time since John Mackovic's final, desultory season in 1997.

Partial Qualifier
2/14/2011, 05:53 PM
3. vince young -> meat i @ 6 1/2 if yu wont 2 beet oh hi oh staight

heh :)

bluedogok
2/14/2011, 10:08 PM
So why are the Bugeaters known as Univeristy of Nebraska - Lincoln???
Evidently the Nebraska system doesn't have the same "we are the center of the universe" mentality as the Texas flagship schools.

cjames317
2/15/2011, 05:55 PM
I got a "Murderers Row" t-shirt for Christmas that has thujones' menacing MS paint versions of the Baylor Bear, Iowa State Cardinal and K State Wildcat. Such a funny reminder of their 2010 fail. Could it get any better?

oudivesherpa
2/15/2011, 06:04 PM

And OSU should be OUS--The University of Oklahoma at Stillwater:D

badger
2/15/2011, 06:28 PM
I got a "Murderers Row" t-shirt for Christmas that has thujones' menacing MS paint versions of the Baylor Bear, Iowa State Cardinal and K State Wildcat. Such a funny reminder of their 2010 fail. Could it get any better?

That bastard did this to my beloved Awon Wodgers :(
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/SB4.jpg

:D I love it, just kidding

agoo758
2/15/2011, 06:53 PM

And OSU should be OUS--The University of Oklahoma at Stillwater:D

I prefer Oklahoma University State. :D

agoo758
2/15/2011, 06:54 PM
That bastard did this to my beloved Awon Wodgers

I think you've done enough to AaRon Rodgers ;)