PDA

View Full Version : Better DC: Bob or Mike?

Mike Stoops
2/13/2011, 04:19 AM
I was in JR high during most of Bob's years at KSU and FLA so I never got to see his work there. We all remember Mike. I learn a lot from some of you older fans so this should be an interesting discussion. You can't use their records as head coaches either to make your case, just as coordinators.

olevetonahill
2/13/2011, 05:01 AM
I was in JR high during most of Bob's years at KSU and FLA so I never got to see his work there. We all remember Mike. I learn a lot from some of you older fans so this should be an interesting discussion. You can't use their records as head coaches either to make your case, just as coordinators.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :pop:

Mike Stoops
2/13/2011, 05:02 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :pop:

problem?

olevetonahill
2/13/2011, 05:05 AM
problem?

Durh :rolleyes:

cleller
2/13/2011, 08:19 AM
Tough and volatile question. Those early when years when they were both here just translated into something great.

I do remember immediately after the 2001 Orange Bowl, Bobby Bowden crediting out defense highly. He said his staff could not figure out what we were doing on D all night.
Shortly thereafter, in a newspaper interview Bob said his mom complimented him on the defense that night, Bob replied, "it was all Mike's".

I thought we were better under Mike than Brent. BUT while I give Mike a big slice of the credit, I think it was the combination and chemistry of the coaches that made it so great. Brent included.

So there's my indirect, non confrontational answer.

texaspokieokie
2/13/2011, 08:56 AM
forget about the past. never heard of Stoops bros until they came to OU.

badger
2/13/2011, 10:42 AM
I think there's a typo in this thread title: Brent. Our current DC is Brent, not Bob ;)

Curly Bill
2/13/2011, 10:51 AM
I think there's a typo in this thread title: Brent. Our current DC is Brent, not Bob ;)

We know. You trying to depress us on this fine Sunday morning?

itsok
2/13/2011, 11:24 AM
their success at OU was chemistry...together, they were better than each one individually...

picasso
2/13/2011, 11:28 AM
their success at OU was chemistry...together, they were better than each one individually...

Really? One seems to be doing better than the other since the split.

JLEW1818
2/13/2011, 11:31 AM
DC, Bob
HC, Bob

rekamrettuB
2/13/2011, 11:35 AM
They were both really good so I'm not sure why it matters really. I guess one argument for Bob would be he was hired by one of college football's top 5 powers and Mike was hired by Arizona. I'll choose Bob since he's still at OU.

SoonerKnight
2/13/2011, 07:13 PM
Well look at as a wash as coordinators. Bob won a national title in Florida as DC. Mike won one at Oklahoma as DC.

itsok
2/13/2011, 08:05 PM
picasso, those defenses from 2000 to 2003 were special...
I agree that that Bob is a better coach, but having Mike, Brent and Bob working the defenses together for a while was a thing of beauty...

boomermagic
2/13/2011, 09:34 PM
Tough and volatile question. Those early when years when they were both here just translated into something great.

I do remember immediately after the 2001 Orange Bowl, Bobby Bowden crediting out defense highly. He said his staff could not figure out what we were doing on D all night.
Shortly thereafter, in a newspaper interview Bob said his mom complimented him on the defense that night, Bob replied, "it was all Mike's".

I thought we were better under Mike than Brent. BUT while I give Mike a big slice of the credit, I think it was the combination and chemistry of the coaches that made it so great. Brent included.

So there's my indirect, non confrontational answer.

I agree !

Salt City Sooner
2/14/2011, 03:04 PM
The one thing I'd like to have seen is how they'd have handled all the saturation & different variations of the spread. Except for Tech (& remember, they were just one version of it, plus they had the insight of knowing Leach's playbook), they really didn't have to face it back then as it hadn't taken hold of CFB like it has today, which is a big reason that IMO, BV doesn't get enough credit/takes too much heat.