PDA

View Full Version : i am an awesome cook.

proud gonzo
2/12/2011, 08:53 PM
Cheesecake Brownies for the valentine's party at work:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9854/ccbrownie4.jpg

Dinner tonight--chicken tikka masala with safron jasmine rice:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1786/tikkamasala1.jpg

soonerinkaty
2/12/2011, 08:59 PM
Marry me

C&CDean
2/12/2011, 09:11 PM
Too late. She's already married me.

CrimsonKel
2/12/2011, 09:18 PM
noted

C&CDean
2/12/2011, 09:21 PM
Well, not exactly me, but a fine, handsome, debonair, dashing lad pretty much like me...except the boy can SING. Like an angel.

soonerinkaty
2/12/2011, 09:22 PM
I'll do the dishes.

Chuck Bao
2/12/2011, 09:40 PM
With all due respect, how exactly do you make Chicken Tikka at home? Saffron rice? Saffron is very, very expensive. Masala curry is not and should be available.

But, I trust you are a great cook and can get the ingredients.

Your cheesecake brownies probably taste out of this world, which means I couldn't have one of them.

Forget these dudes and your opera singing husband. I'll be your wife.

Speaking of your husband, my 8-year old nephew was so impressed at that last tailgate party that he still belts out what little he knows in an operatic voice. His parents are a bit alarmed. But, your husband had a very dramatic impact on the little kid and I want to thank him for that.

C&CDean
2/12/2011, 09:42 PM
With all due respect, how exactly do you make Chicken Tikka at home? Saffron rice? Saffron is very, very expensive. Masala curry is not and should be available.

Your cheesecake brownies probably taste out of this world, which means I couldn't have one of them.

Speaking of your husband, my 8-year old nephew was so impressed at that last tailgate party that he still belts out what little he knows in an operatic voice. His parents are a bit alarmed. But, your husband had a very dramatic impact on the little kid and I want to thank him for that.

Were you still there when we got him to sing about a half-stanza of "Oklahoma!?" It was the allsome.

Chuck Bao
2/12/2011, 09:51 PM
Were you still there when we got him to sing about a half-stanza of "Oklahoma!?" It was the allsome.

Yes I was and it was truly allsome. I wanted to just knock PG out of the way and marry the man on the spot. But, I can't cook as well as PG so I probably would have got not much than an assault charge.

C&CDean
2/12/2011, 09:55 PM
Let's see, PG's hot little butt vs. Chuck's manly derriere.

PG in a landslide. Sorry brother.

soonerinkaty
2/12/2011, 10:23 PM
I've been called the Songbird of my generation.

olevetonahill
2/12/2011, 10:46 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Love Ya Punkin ;)

Chuck Bao
2/12/2011, 11:00 PM
Let's see, PG's hot little butt vs. Chuck's manly derriere.

PG in a landslide. Sorry brother.

Yeah okay there is that.

TitoMorelli
2/12/2011, 11:01 PM

Me too. Loons are songbirds, right?

AlbqSooner
2/12/2011, 11:05 PM
No. Loons are Fraked up Canadian ducks.

OUthunder
2/12/2011, 11:47 PM
That Indian dish is my favorite.

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 01:56 AM

Chuck and Dean--y'all are cracking us up over here. And opera man thinks that's pretty cool about your nephew, Chuck.

For the cheesecake brownies...they are dangerously awesome. Seriously, I'ma have to freeze them so we don't eat them all at once.

For the tikka masala, I found a Gordon Ramsay recipe. I've had the dish at a couple of Indian restaurants, and this recipe was spot on. Very few specialty ingredients, actually. I bought the saffron and the garam masala from International Pantry here in Norman. Although, if you can't find garam masala, you can make your own. I was going to do that (I have a ridiculous collection of spices) but I had to go there for the saffron anyway, so I figured I'd save myself the trouble of toasting and grinding all of those ingredients.

Here's the video instructions and recipe I used: http://www.channel4.com/4food/how-to/how-to-do-meat/how-to-make-tikka-masala (http://www.channel4.com/4food/how-to/how-to-do-meat/how-to-make-tikka-masala)

I didn't have have curry leaves and I admit I also added a dash of vinegar and lime juice to the sauce. It was awesome.

Here's the brownie recipe:

CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
Brownie layer:

1 box fudge brownie mix* (regular size, for an 8×8” pan, not the family size box)
All the ingredients called for on the box (most likely ¼ cup water, ¼ cup oil, 1 egg)
Cheesecake layer:

16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (2 8 oz. containers)
24-32 oz. powdered sugar (depending on how rich you want the brownies to be)
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini-morsels, or grated chocolate
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9”x13” pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking oil or nonstick spray. Mix all of the brownie ingredients together and pour into the bottom of the pan. Separately, mix all of the cheesecake ingredients (make sure you whisk out all of the cream cheese lumps). Pour it on top of the brownie layer. Pop the pan into the oven for 40-50 minutes, until the top of the cheesecake layer is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly-clean, not ooey-gooey.

I actually ended up turning the temp down to 325° and adding about 15 minutes. Next time I make these, I’d use the same amount of batter, but spread it into the 9×13 and an 8×8, just so the brownies are a little thinner and will bake more evenly.

Let them cool before cutting, or else they’ll gum up your knife and look messy. (You can even chill them first.)

soonerinkaty
2/13/2011, 02:25 AM
This must have gone over all you old fart's heads.

sooner59
2/13/2011, 02:36 AM
That dish sounds good. I need to go to an Indian place so I can try it.

OU-HSV
2/13/2011, 08:47 AM
.....Here's the brownie recipe:

CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
Brownie layer:

1 box fudge brownie mix* (regular size, for an 8×8” pan, not the family size box)
All the ingredients called for on the box (most likely ¼ cup water, ¼ cup oil, 1 egg)
Cheesecake layer:

16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (2 8 oz. containers)
24-32 oz. powdered sugar (depending on how rich you want the brownies to be)
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini-morsels, or grated chocolate
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9”x13” pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking oil or nonstick spray. Mix all of the brownie ingredients together and pour into the bottom of the pan. Separately, mix all of the cheesecake ingredients (make sure you whisk out all of the cream cheese lumps). Pour it on top of the brownie layer. Pop the pan into the oven for 40-50 minutes, until the top of the cheesecake layer is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly-clean, not ooey-gooey.

I actually ended up turning the temp down to 325° and adding about 15 minutes. Next time I make these, I’d use the same amount of batter, but spread it into the 9×13 and an 8×8, just so the brownies are a little thinner and will bake more evenly.

Let them cool before cutting, or else they’ll gum up your knife and look messy. (You can even chill them first.)

Oh wow these sound awesome, thanks for this Valentines gift...I like brownies and love cheesecake so I'll be passing this recipe on to my wife and see if I can talk her into making these.

oumartin
2/13/2011, 10:10 AM
Humility! Learn it

C&CDean
2/13/2011, 10:33 AM
Humility! Learn it

It's hard to be humble...but in your case, it's gotta be pretty easy.

oumartin
2/13/2011, 03:09 PM
It's hard to be humble...but in your case, it's gotta be pretty easy.

I wasn't talking to you but of course you can't keep your nose outta anyones business.

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 04:43 PM
Humility! Learn it
I only bragged about one dessert and one dinner--I was being humble. :D

A Sooner in Texas
2/13/2011, 05:10 PM

And we humbly thank you for sharing. Both look awesome, especially those gorgeous brownies.

olevetonahill
2/13/2011, 05:13 PM

Oh Lord its hard to be Humble when yer perfect in every way :cool:

waynepayne
2/13/2011, 06:49 PM
Wow, I was about to bake up some banana bread cause I have a bunch of sad looking naners but those cheesecake brownies look so awesome I may just get out again and go get the stuff to make them tonight!

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 06:51 PM
Wow, I was about to bake up some banana bread cause I have a bunch of sad looking naners but those cheesecake brownies look so awesome I may just get out again and go get the stuff to make them tonight!
oooh, banana bread sounds awesome.....so does pumpkin bread.

silverwheels
2/13/2011, 06:58 PM

Don't let those bananas go to waste! Make both and give some to me.

Radar's Left Hand
2/13/2011, 07:23 PM
I'm going to try the Tikka recipe. We used to eat at Gopurem (it was spelled something like that) in OKC 10 years ago. My wife and I have had CTM all over the country and once in London but we still prefer that buffet place in OKC.

Thanks for sharing!

waynepayne
2/13/2011, 08:24 PM
oooh, banana bread sounds awesome.....so does pumpkin bread.

Pumpkin is pretty great but my favorite is actually zucchini bread. I have never understood how such an eh veggie makes such a delicious loaf of bread!

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 08:38 PM
hmmm, I've never tried zucchini bread...

waynepayne
2/13/2011, 08:43 PM
hmmm, I've never tried zucchini bread...

Oh pg you gotta make that sometime. Its crazy good.

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 09:28 PM
you have a favorite recipe?

waynepayne
2/13/2011, 10:13 PM
you have a favorite recipe?

pm sent :)

diverdog
2/13/2011, 10:20 PM

There are different types of saffron with a broad range of prices. You can pick up the type you need at a local Indian food store if one of those are around.

Interesting that Ramsey's recipe does not call for garam masala.

oumartin
2/13/2011, 10:29 PM
At least you are learning your place in the world. You belong in the kitchen, not the work force.

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 10:34 PM
Interesting that Ramsey's recipe does not call for garam masala. yeah it did--2 Tbsp

proud gonzo
2/13/2011, 10:38 PM
At least you are learning your place in the world. You belong in the kitchen, not the work force.
Actually, I work as a copy editor, but good effort. :rolleyes:

A Sooner in Texas
2/13/2011, 10:43 PM
Do you have a female boss or something, Martin?

olevetonahill
2/13/2011, 10:48 PM
Do you have a female boss or something, Martin?

Hes Married , nuff said :D

A Sooner in Texas
2/13/2011, 10:50 PM
Hes Married , nuff said :D

He must treat his wife with amazing respect.

oumartin
2/14/2011, 09:05 AM

I keep my pimp hand strong. She never gets outta line or back sasses me.

OutlandTrophy
2/14/2011, 09:21 AM
that chicken dish looks like a cow patty.

oumartin
2/14/2011, 09:23 AM
that chicken dish looks like a cow patty.

In a blind taste test the cow patty won.

Mixer!
2/14/2011, 09:29 AM
I keep my pimp hand strong. She never gets outta line or back sasses me.

rrrrrriiiiiiiiiight........

oumartin
2/14/2011, 09:38 AM
rrrrrriiiiiiiiiight........

You're not to big to feel my wrath!

soonerbrat
2/14/2011, 09:39 AM

now if you would just fork over the apple pie recipe we'd ALL be happy.

oumartin
2/14/2011, 09:42 AM

"Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"

olevetonahill
2/14/2011, 09:54 AM
"Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"

Bro, Shes made me TWO pies , Id kill fer another:cool:

C&CDean
2/14/2011, 10:02 AM

Oh you don't know the half of it.

unbiasedtruth
2/14/2011, 12:30 PM
pheasant coq au vin for the little lady, have the breasts and thighs boned out, pheasant stock is making now, have all the veggies sliced. going with mashed tators with a little wasabi and roasted garlic for flavor and green peas....

NormanPride
2/14/2011, 02:09 PM
I've never understood the idea of a generic "garam masala". It's like saying "spice blend". That's why I toast and grind my own, and it is amazing the difference you get. You know how making your own pasta sauce is always better than store bought? Yeah, multiply that by about 50.

The dish looks fantastic, and with your skills I bet it tastes even better. Remind me and I'll give you our family's orange bread recipe. Fair warning: prepare to spend an entire afternoon making it. That's why I only make it around Christmas. :D

Mongo
2/14/2011, 02:25 PM
Oh you don't know the half of it.

Half of it? What do you think that was, about 7"?

proud gonzo
2/14/2011, 10:12 PM
I can't! It's Grandma Daisy's secret recipe--it's the only one I won't share. :O

Just let me know what tailgates you're coming to in the fall ;)

I've never understood the idea of a generic "garam masala". It's like saying "spice blend". That's why I toast and grind my own, and it is amazing the difference you get. You know how making your own pasta sauce is always better than store bought? Yeah, multiply that by about 50.

The dish looks fantastic, and with your skills I bet it tastes even better. Remind me and I'll give you our family's orange bread recipe. Fair warning: prepare to spend an entire afternoon making it. That's why I only make it around Christmas. :D
I totally agree about fresh ground spices. I was in a slight time crunch though (we were trying to make it to a movie after dinner) so I just used the bought garam masala.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/14/2011, 10:22 PM

Is she trying to kill you?

olevetonahill
2/15/2011, 07:52 AM
I can't! It's Grandma Daisy's secret recipe--it's the only one I won't share. :O

Right now Im planning on all of em

I totally agree about fresh ground spices. I was in a slight time crunch though (we were trying to make it to a movie after dinner) so I just used the bought garam masala.

Is she trying to kill you?

jaun, why dont you go **** up a rope ?

NormanPride
2/15/2011, 12:32 PM

That's why you pre ground and keep it in an airtight container. ;) With your pie making capabilities you should try for making samosas. MMMMMMmmmm...

proud gonzo
2/15/2011, 02:01 PM
That's why you pre ground and keep it in an airtight container. ;) With your pie making capabilities you should try for making samosas. MMMMMMmmmm...
they're on the list :D

The next thing I'm making, however, is chocolate souffle :norm:

NormanPride
2/15/2011, 02:08 PM
I wish I had your metabolism. :D

WichitaSooner
2/15/2011, 02:13 PM

You have the voice of an angel. Your voice is like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

IB4OU2
2/15/2011, 05:37 PM
PG, I'm sure with your talent and creativity your cooking is like your writing and art...a Masterpiece. :)

OU-HSV
4/3/2011, 02:35 PM
Hey PG, just fyi...my wife is making these today. I'm excited...I'll let ya know what I think :D

proud gonzo
4/4/2011, 12:27 AM
awesome!

yeah, I froze a bunch of mine before and just finished the last of them a week ago. soooooo good.

AlbqSooner
4/4/2011, 06:00 AM
I made them within a day or two of your posting the recipe. They were so freakin good I ate them within a day or two of making them. Damn you PG!;)

soonerbrat
4/4/2011, 07:10 AM
I don't understand why recipes should be secret anymore. Doesn't Grandma Daisy want you to share joy with the world? Do you use the recipe in competitions or something? There would never be an instance where I would compete with you with this pie...I would only make it for my family, and they never ask for recipes....

2121Sooner
4/4/2011, 04:09 PM
Grandma Daisy never learned how to share

That is sad

NormanPride
4/4/2011, 04:29 PM
I made a very good vegetable korma last week. I'm thinking a thai peanut curry this week. Now if only I could find lemongrass...

proud gonzo
4/4/2011, 09:46 PM
I don't understand why recipes should be secret anymore. Doesn't Grandma Daisy want you to share joy with the world? Do you use the recipe in competitions or something? There would never be an instance where I would compete with you with this pie...I would only make it for my family, and they never ask for recipes....

Grandma Daisy passed the recipe on to my mom, and my mom doesn't share the recipe with anyone. The way I see it, the recipe isn't mine to share yet. :O

Whet
4/4/2011, 10:20 PM
When Brat takes the blue ribbon at the State Fair, for her apple pie, what would happen?

OU-HSV
4/5/2011, 08:44 PM
awesome!

yeah, I froze a bunch of mine before and just finished the last of them a week ago. soooooo good.

Okay the verdict in my house is that these are awesome.
I think the only thing we may do different next time is let them sit out a little longer because the top "cheesecake" layer didn't get as firm as it probably should've been. Still tasted awesome though. Thanks for the recipe

proud gonzo
4/5/2011, 10:38 PM
yeah, mine were kinda the same way, but they tasted so awesome I didn't care.

soonerbrat
4/6/2011, 07:41 AM
When Brat takes the blue ribbon at the State Fair, for her apple pie, what would happen?

i would never do that!! i just want to eat it!!

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 11:00 AM
I aint such an awesome cook . This Cream cheese is it Like Philadelphia cream cheese or some pun else?