PDA

View Full Version : Grand Marnier/Triple Sec

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 04:28 PM
OK, some liquors you can go cheap on and it doesn't matter when you're mixing (e.g.- Jim Beam in your diet coke).

Others it DOES matter (crappy crappy tequila in a margarita).

Can you go with a cheaper triple sec in a good margarita and it will still taste good? Or should you go with Grand Marnier? :confused:

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 04:30 PM
Back in high school I used to drink rot gut gin with sunny delight. The rot gut gin was probably too good for the sunny D.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 04:34 PM
Back in high school I used to drink rot gut gin with sunny delight. The rot gut gin was probably too good for the sunny D.

We used to mix R&R (Rich and Rare) canadian whiskey with coke back in undergrad. The ladies all thought it was Crown. We didn't correct their misapprehension. :cool:

Pricetag
2/11/2011, 04:41 PM
My worst combo was Everclear and Stompin' Berry Hawaiian Punch. The Stompin' Berry was easily overwhelmed. Heh, it's funny how we sucked at getting drunk as kids.

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 04:50 PM
My worst combo was Everclear and Stompin' Berry Hawaiian Punch. The Stompin' Berry was easily overwhelmed. Heh, it's funny how we sucked at getting drunk as kids.

I'm telling you Sunny D is/was the all-time champion when it comes to masking the flavor of alcohol. I think you could mix clorox with it and you wouldn't know the difference.

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 04:51 PM
Grand Marnier.....all the way. Nector of the gods.

Pricetag
2/11/2011, 04:53 PM
Is Grand Marnier a mixer? I know a guy who drinks it by itself.

Mjcpr
2/11/2011, 04:56 PM

I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper. It tastes just fine by itself!

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 04:57 PM
It's good for everything on earth...I have a chicken receipe I use with it that is awesome....even cures the common cold.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 05:01 PM
It's good for everything on earth...I have a chicken receipe I use with it that is awesome....even cures the common cold.

Grand Marnier or Hamburger Helper?

I'm using it for perfect margaritas for me and the lil' lady tonight at the house.

DIB
2/11/2011, 05:02 PM
If the rest of the ingredients are of good quality, especially the tequila, you can get away with Triple Sec.

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 05:05 PM
If the rest of the ingredients are of good quality, especially the tequila, you can get away with Triple Sec.

get away with:rolleyes: ....but not perfect.:cool:

kbsooner21
2/11/2011, 05:06 PM
Grand Marnier all the way! Do not try and skimp with cheap triple sec!

saucysoonergal
MMMMMmmmmmm Hamburger Helper.

OUMallen
I'm thinking we're going to squeeze our own limes tonight and I'll get a bottle of decent, but not great, hornitos. SO I might go with Grand Marnier. This is our "going out" for tonight so I don't mind spending a little money.

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 05:10 PM
Grand Marnier all the way! Do not try and skimp with cheap triple sec!

another genius here.....welcome.:D

OULenexaman
2/11/2011, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking we're going to squeeze our own limes tonight and I'll get a bottle of decent, but not great, hornitos. SO I might go with Grand Marnier. This is our "going out" for tonight so I don't mind spending a little money.
hummmmm....squeezing each others limes.....special night for sure.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 05:16 PM
hummmmm....squeezing each others limes.....special night for sure.

Depends on how many of these margaritas I can get down the little lady. :D

The Profit
2/11/2011, 05:21 PM
Vodka, Gatorade and a Cheech and Chong sized joint always did the job for me.

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 05:30 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080516004602/recipes/images/b/b6/Cointreau.jpg

YWIA.

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 05:32 PM

http://www.herradura.com/uploadedImages/Tequilas/Products/SilverUS_277_513.png

For the money the best value for great Tekiki that I have found is Herradura. Its usaully around $35 and makes a great margarita.

Fresh squeezed limes, Herradurra, Cointreau, and simple syrup (yes take the time to boil the water and add the sugar - its totally worth it. Put it in one of those generic clear ketchup bottle looking dispenser and keep it in your fridge).

http://www.restockit.com/images/Product/medium/06-0528.jpg

Best margarita recipe I've found yet.

SoCaliSooner
2/11/2011, 05:33 PM

Always use fresh fruit/juice ingredients in drinks. As a mixologist, it makes a huge difference in the flavor....

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.herradura.com/uploadedImages/Tequilas/Products/SilverUS_277_513.png

For the money the best value for great Tekiki that I have found is Herradura. Its usaully around $35 and makes a great margarita.

Fresh squeezed limes, Herradurra, Cointreau, and simple syrup (yes take the time to boil the water and add the sugar - its totally worth it. Put it in one of those generic clear ketchup bottle looking dispenser and keep it in your fridge).

Best margarita recipe I've found yet.

Last night on a test run with inferior ingredients, we didn't add any sugar and it tasted pretty good! Do you think the simple syrup is a must?

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 05:45 PM
Last night on a test run with inferior ingredients, we didn't add any sugar and it tasted pretty good! Do you think the simple syrup is a must?

It helps to have around. Just because of the quality of limes we get in OK. Sometimes you get those super bitter bastards. I use it in mine almost all the time even if its just a little bit. To me it seems to even the drink out.

Also Grand Marinier is a little bit sweeter than Cointreau.

If you do make it, it is a must to keep it in the fridge or eventually it will go bad.

DIB
2/11/2011, 05:50 PM
Always use fresh fruit/juice ingredients in drinks. As a mixologist, it makes a huge difference in the flavor....

Indeed. Anyone that uses a margarita mix should be punched in the newts.

PS. A small amount a brandy can smooth out a margarita.

Breadburner
2/11/2011, 05:54 PM
Grand Marnier is used in Top-Shelf Margaritas.....Its an Orange Liquor....

DIB
2/11/2011, 05:57 PM
Grand Marnier is used in Top-Shelf Margaritas.....Its an Orange Liquor....

So, is cointreau. Triple sec is also an orange liquor, but it is of lesser quality.

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 06:00 PM
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but some of the horror stories above made me remember a bad experiment:

PSA: Do NOT ... EVER... mix bad gin with dry sweetened ice tea mix. No matter how desperate you are for a pitcher of something to serve. And it makes it worse if you run out of glasses so have to share swigging out of the pitcher.

That is all.

49r
2/11/2011, 07:39 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080516004602/recipes/images/b/b6/Cointreau.jpg

YWIA.

This ^^^

Grand Marnier is a cognac blend and should be enjoyed on its own, as an apertif, in a snifter. Besides, it is just a tad too sweet/syurp-y to make a Margarita. Cointreau is a triple sec (apertif and/or digestif) and is much better suited for Cosmos and Margaritas.

The International Bartenders Association versions of the Cosmopolitan and the Margarita call for the more neutral Cointreau as opposed to the stronger flavored Grand Marnier.

GDC
2/11/2011, 08:50 PM
OK, some liquors you can go cheap on and it doesn't matter when you're mixing (e.g.- Jim Beam in your diet coke).

Can you go with a cheaper triple sec in a good margarita and it will still taste good? Or should you go with Grand Marnier? :confused:

Grand Marnier in a margarita is for posers. A real margarita has only salt, lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.

http://rickcooks.com/recipes/txt2html.cgi?margarita

unbiasedtruth
2/12/2011, 12:19 AM
Fraggle is spot on.....

Theskipster
2/12/2011, 09:52 AM
Grand Marnier in a margarita is for posers. A real margarita has only salt, lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.

Grand Marnier is a triple sec.

delhalew
2/12/2011, 10:13 AM

Sure you CAN use triple sec, but once you go Cointreau, it's hard to go back.

GDC
2/12/2011, 10:33 AM
Grand Marnier is a triple sec.

Not exactly, like 49r said above.

The difference is in how they're produced.

They're all a type of liquor known as "Curacao" which is made primarily from the peel of Curacao or bitter oranges.

Triple sec and Cointreau are basically the same. They're sweet, clear, slightly sticky and have a light flavour to them. Cointreau is a brand name of triple sec and it's of a slightly higher quality than the regular stuff.

Grand marnier is what is known as a "Grand Curacao". It's typically made with cognac as the base alcohol and uses the same orange peel as the flavouring agent. Like Cointreau, Grand Marnier is a name brand and you can find other Grand Curacao out there with varying degrees of quality.

delhalew
2/12/2011, 10:34 AM

While I don't use Grand Marnier, did you read to the end of the article you linked?

The citrus liqueur is important because its sweetness balances the tartness of the lime juice and enhances the citrus flavor while complementing the agave flavor of the tequila. The best (and most expensive) choice is Cointreau, but any good-quality triple sec or citrus liqueur may be used, such as Curaçao (made from orange skins) and Limoncello (an Italian lemon liqueur). If you're in Mexico, pick up a bottle of Controy, a Mexican orange triple sec that Mexican bartenders use (and costs about a third of Cointreau). Some Margarita aficionados use Grand Marnier, but only in place of half the triple sec. Another good substitute for half the triple sec is Damiana, a herbal liqueur and reputed aphrodisiac native to the Baja peninsula.

GDC
2/12/2011, 10:37 AM
I agree in that it's ultimately just whatever tastes best to each person, I just happen to prefer the "original" margarita.

delhalew
2/12/2011, 10:38 AM
I'm telling you Sunny D is/was the all-time champion when it comes to masking the flavor of alcohol. I think you could mix clorox with it and you wouldn't know the difference.

I used to buy the big jug of Sunny D and a 750ml of vodka...uhhg.

49r
2/12/2011, 11:44 AM
While I don't use Grand Marnier, did you read to the end of the article you linked?

The citrus liqueur is important because its sweetness balances the tartness of the lime juice and enhances the citrus flavor while complementing the agave flavor of the tequila. The best (and most expensive) choice is Cointreau, but any good-quality triple sec or citrus liqueur may be used, such as Curaçao (made from orange skins) and Limoncello (an Italian lemon liqueur). If you're in Mexico, pick up a bottle of Controy, a Mexican orange triple sec that Mexican bartenders use (and costs about a third of Cointreau). Some Margarita aficionados use Grand Marnier, but only in place of half the triple sec. Another good substitute for half the triple sec is Damiana, a herbal liqueur and reputed aphrodisiac native to the Baja peninsula.

The thing about using Curacao is it's blue, and people think blue margaritas are cool.

delhalew
2/12/2011, 12:32 PM
The thing about using Curacao is it's blue, and people think blue margaritas are cool.

Don't they make different varieties of Curacao? I think there is an orange as well as a blue.

49r
2/12/2011, 12:35 PM
Don't they make different varieties of Curacao? I think there is an orange as well as a blue.

Yes there are, but I have only ever seen the blue one around.

delhalew
2/12/2011, 12:39 PM
Yes there are, but I have only ever seen the blue one around.

I once spent $600 buying a bunch of booze so I could experiment. Orange Caracoa was among the bottles. I used it primarily in rum based islandish drinks.

yermom
2/12/2011, 12:41 PM
sounds to me like you guys are just wasting good tequila ;)

delhalew
2/12/2011, 01:33 PM
sounds to me like you guys are just wasting good tequila ;)

Straight to the heart of the matter. Buy good tequila, pour down gullet, repeat till blind.

MR2-Sooner86
2/12/2011, 01:41 PM
Can you go with a...margarita...taste good?

Does not compute.

SoCaliSooner
2/12/2011, 04:43 PM
My wifes OC pals dig my Catalina Margarita....has blue curacao and peach schnapps.....

Still one of my favorite things to do is to core out about 5-6 pineapples, freeze the cores and use the pineapple rings for drink garnish, hamburgers, and quite a few go into my big batch of Coco Loco's.

I use the frozen cores to pour drinks in. Few things beat the summer heat like a pool and coco loco's in a pineapple and my wife's pals prancing around in bikini's...

GKeeper316
2/12/2011, 04:58 PM

grand marnier is a cordial made from oranges.

OULenexaman
2/12/2011, 11:08 PM
so did mallen score??

OUMallen
2/14/2011, 10:25 AM
Mallen was in bed until about 3pm yesterday. Egad.

delhalew
2/14/2011, 10:29 AM
Da dump da dut dut da dut dump...Tequila!

OUMallen
2/14/2011, 10:31 AM
I went with the Grand Marnier, some Cabo Wabo, lime juice and a little sugar (didn't have time for simple syrup). They were really, really good, but a little too tart for the lady like Fraggle predicted. I'm a purist when I can be, so I'll go with Cointreau next time.

OULenexaman
2/14/2011, 10:47 AM
I went with the Grand Marnier, some Cabo Wabo, lime juice and a little sugar (didn't have time for simple syrup). They were really, really good, but a little too tart for the lady like Fraggle predicted. I'm a purist when I can be, so I'll go with Cointreau next time.

OHHH...sounds great...I want one now.

C&CDean
2/14/2011, 11:54 AM
Only fags and chicks put sugar/mixers/soda/juice/crap in their alcohol.

If God wanted you to drink your tequila all ****ed up with sugary crap he'd have made it that way.

delhalew
2/14/2011, 12:13 PM

If God wanted you to drink your tequila all ****ed up with sugary crap he'd have made it that way.

Margaritas exist as a way to get women to drink tequila. It works.

The reason to use a simple syrup rather than a sugery mix, is so you can keep the sweetness down to a level that can be tolerated by a man. My 2 cents.

OULenexaman
2/14/2011, 12:16 PM
never done this sugar ****...or simple syrup ****...I just add other good booze in it....

yermom
2/14/2011, 12:20 PM
Margaritas exist as a way to get women to drink tequila. It works.

The reason to use a simple syrup rather than a sugery mix, is so you can keep the sweetness down to a level that can be tolerated by a man. My 2 cents.

simple syrup shouldn't be less sweet just the consistency would be easier to manage, i'd think

OUMallen
2/14/2011, 12:20 PM

Liquor is on this earth to make us happy WHATEVER way we choose to prepare it, you bossy little girl.

delhalew
2/14/2011, 12:35 PM
simple syrup shouldn't be less sweet just the consistency would be easier to manage, i'd think

It's less sweet because you can use less of it, as compared to a bottle of Margaritas mix.

yermom
2/14/2011, 12:43 PM
i don't think we are talking about the same things, or something.

delhalew
2/14/2011, 12:58 PM
i don't think we are talking about the same things, or something.

Yeah, I clearly was misunderstood. So I clarified.

Fraggle145
2/14/2011, 01:24 PM

God wants me to get laid doesnt he? Chicks like sugary crap.

(Not my wife, but most chicks. No I am not getting any other chicks.)

KantoSooner
2/14/2011, 05:17 PM
I used to go to this little bar where the waitresses would wear bikinis during the summer and pour the drinks on themselves so that they'd run off into your mouth in interesting ways.

They made a drink with tequila in it.

But I don't remember what else it had in it. Some sort of fruit.

Tasted good, though.

That I do remember.

proud gonzo
2/15/2011, 01:18 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I think Cointreau is overrated. I bought a bottle and it's taken me ages to get rid of the stuff. I just don't care for it much. This stuff is much better, IMO

http://www.cognac-fransac.com/beauchant.jpg

Granted, I'm not suggesting you use it for margaritas. This is similar to Grand Marnier. Stick to triple sec / curacao for margaritas.

C&CDean
2/15/2011, 03:29 PM
God wants me to get laid doesnt he? Chicks like sugary crap.

(Not my wife, but most chicks. No I am not getting any other chicks.)

Dude, if you've gotta have liquor to get the old lady to bend over the hood of the truck, your foreplay techniques/odor/animal magnetism must be all outta whack.

Also, chicks that will only **** if they're drunk ain't worth ****ing. Why? Cause when they get drunk, they'll **** anything/anybody. Yeah buddy, that's what I wanna get financially attached to. Think about it, some bimbo gets wasted and ****s you, well hell, she'd **** anybody.:texan:

OUMallen
2/16/2011, 01:59 PM
Dude, if you've gotta have liquor to get the old lady to bend over the hood of the truck, your foreplay techniques/odor/animal magnetism must be all outta whack.

Also, chicks that will only **** if they're drunk ain't worth ****ing. Why? Cause when they get drunk, they'll **** anything/anybody. Yeah buddy, that's what I wanna get financially attached to. Think about it, some bimbo gets wasted and ****s you, well hell, she'd **** anybody.:texan:

Who said anything about financial attachment? :cool:

47straight
2/16/2011, 08:15 PM
I used to go to this little bar where the waitresses would wear bikinis during the summer and pour the drinks on themselves so that they'd run off into your mouth in interesting ways.

They made a drink with tequila in it.

But I don't remember what else it had in it. Some sort of fruit.

Tasted good, though.

That I do remember.

Clam?

47straight
2/16/2011, 08:16 PM

That's why when you find one you just keep her at home and don't her drink outside the house/pool grotto.

GottaHavePride
2/16/2011, 10:29 PM
Deer lord. The reason to use simple syrup is because granulated sugar (even superfine) doesn't dissolve well in a cold mixture (like in a margarita). You use simple syrup because the sugar is pre-dissolved, so you can sweeten the margarita with zero risk of gritty sugar floating in your drink. It's science, bitches.