2/11/2011, 02:43 PM
Nice.

Partial Qualifier
2/11/2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/blog/2011/2/gar.jpg

those things are a trip

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:07 PM
Some scuba divers long ago where hickory creek feeds into lake Texoma told me of the giant gar they had seen there by the bridge. Scared them because in those dark, murky waters they would suddenly be in their face.

sappstuf
2/11/2011, 03:10 PM
That is a big fish. Some would even call it..

GARgantuan.

Thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:12 PM
Been on break for a while Sapp?

I think this guy cheated and is really a noodler.

pphilfran
2/11/2011, 03:14 PM
I caught a 6' gar that was just short of 100 lbs...

It got caught in the ladder frame of my boathouse...we lassoed it's snout and yanked it out...

She was preggers and spewed a gagillion eggs when we were dragging her on board...

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:20 PM
I caught a 6' gar that was just short of 100 lbs...

It got caught in the ladder frame of my boathouse...we lassoed it's snout and yanked it out...

She was preggers and spewed a gagillion eggs when we were dragging her on board...

Pretty big.

Know guys that bow hunt for gars at night using a flashlight to draw them in ( or I think that was what they were doing).

sappstuf
2/11/2011, 03:23 PM
Been on break for a while Sapp?

I think this guy cheated and is really a noodler.

I tried noodling once.. We caught a catfish, but scared the crap out of me.

I was down in San Diego for the week doing some training and enjoying all southern California has to offer... Didn't have much time for internet.

I was disappointed to see I missed record cold temps while I was gone.. It was cold over there as well.. One day I couldn't even wear sandals.. Terrible!

pphilfran
2/11/2011, 03:33 PM
Pretty big.

Know guys that bow hunt for gars at night using a flashlight to draw them in ( or I think that was what they were doing).

They cruise the shallows at night...

I have caught a few small ones on a fly rod...

You lay your top water fly out in front of them....they will cruise up and stop with their head right next the lure...you twitch and twitch the lure until you get them riled up and then take the lure...they raise hell for a few seconds and then they just give up and you reel em in like a brim....

pphilfran
2/11/2011, 03:35 PM

I was down in San Diego for the week doing some training and enjoying all southern California has to offer... Didn't have much time for internet.

I was disappointed to see I missed record cold temps while I was gone.. It was cold over there as well.. One day I couldn't even wear sandals.. Terrible!

Bite me Sap...

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:35 PM

The sacrifices you make for our country.

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:37 PM

You lay your top water fly out in front of them....they will cruise up and stop with their head right next the lure...you twitch and twitch the lure until you get them riled up and then take the lure...they raise hell for a few seconds and then they just give up and you reel em in like a brim....

Pretty interesting. Are gar any good to eat?

pphilfran
2/11/2011, 03:39 PM
Pretty interesting. Are gar any good to eat?

Hell, no....about like carp...

At least a carp will fight like a mofo...

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:43 PM
Hell, no....about like carp...

At least a carp will fight like a mofo...

You'd think something that ugly would have some positive attributes. Why would anyone want to catch them?

SunnySooner
2/11/2011, 03:45 PM
Yeah, too bad they ain't good eats, you could feed Love county with that beast.

They used to tell stories about giant catfish in Lake Tenkiller, down by the dam and such, scared the beejeebus out of me when I was getting open water certified, can't see your hand in front of your face. At least in the ocean you can see the shark swimming for you and TRY to get away.

sappstuf
2/11/2011, 03:45 PM
Bite me Sap...

The sacrifices you make for our country.

It is tough... I somehow struggle through.

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 04:04 PM

You mean a perch right? :P

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 04:07 PM
Here's one that died in the golden algae bloom at Lake Texoma in 2006 (not me in the picture, one of my lab-mates)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2295/lebanonpooljames2.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8789/lebanonpoolalligatorgar.jpg

soonercruiser
2/11/2011, 05:23 PM

I will hit San Diego for a meeting and lots of golf next month!
No fishing. But, some fish eating will take place!

soonercruiser
2/11/2011, 05:25 PM
Anybody for some swimming in Oklahoma's bigger lakes and rivers?
:rolleyes:

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 05:28 PM

I do it all the time at Texoma. An alligator gar isnt going to come after you. They are gape limited, if they cant fit you in their mouth they arent going to try. When you open up their stomachs they are usually full of shad.

sooner59
2/11/2011, 08:09 PM

I've swam in the Red River a few times. Mostly the Wa****a River, though. I have been chest deep a few times and seen a few 5-6 foot gar hit the top of the water. It freaks you out, but you know they won't bother you. I'm always just worried about hillbillies putting actually alligators in the river, though.

sooner59
2/11/2011, 08:10 PM
Heh. It sensored the sh1t in Wash1ta. :D

diverdog
2/11/2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/blog/2011/2/gar.jpg

those things are a trip

Up here we call that bait!

picasso
2/11/2011, 10:31 PM
I do it all the time at Texoma. An alligator gar isnt going to come after you. They are gape limited, if they cant fit you in their mouth they arent going to try. When you open up their stomachs they are usually full of shad.

I watched a show a year or so ago where they dispelled the myth that they'll actually go after people.

unbiasedtruth
2/12/2011, 12:15 AM
actually the best thing to use for gar is nylon rope thats frayed. the gar get their teeth snagged in the frayed nylon and cant get off.

I would be willing to bet this gar is from the "hole". Through the years I keep hearing stories about a place where all the large gar congregate. I have yet to be shown the place or a map to it....

proud gonzo
2/12/2011, 02:19 PM
My mom used to be a ranger at Lake Texoma--she has told many stories about the huge gar up next to the dam.

yermom
2/12/2011, 03:02 PM
i keep seeing this thread thinking it's about recruiting.

Fraggle145
2/12/2011, 05:53 PM
I watched a show a year or so ago where they dispelled the myth that they'll actually go after people.

River Monsters? I love that show...