PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR

kbsooner21
2/11/2011, 02:17 PM
Bud Shootout this weekend, Daytona 500 next Sunday!

Anyone else excited!?!? :D

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 09:28 AM
i'm not really excited, but i'll be glad when they start racing again.

it bugs me when numb nuts writer guys question why nascar has it's "super bowl" (daytona) as the 1st race. it's the FIRST race, hopefully @ a location that will provide good weather. (unlike nfl super bowl). to me, it's a big deal because the races are starting. it's a NEW season.

thing i don't like, nascar should take the "stock car" out of their title. there's
nothing "stock"; they're pure race cars. in the past, you could tell a ford from a chevy. now, they're all the same except for the paint jobs. they formerly had mercs, olds & pontiacs. now they're all (totally) gone.

anyway, i am glad.

i also like drag racing. kinda happy to see that Ashley Force Hood is not driving this year, because she's pregnant.i'm guessing that daddy John will be an unbearable granpa. bet's he's hoping for a boy, after having all girls.

Boarder
2/12/2011, 08:13 PM
Busch series (nationwide, whatever) has done it right with the cars that look somewhat like the street counterpart.

Blue
2/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Jr looks to have a fast car. I hope he gets his **** together this year. Go smoke!

Blue
2/12/2011, 08:37 PM
:eek: Speeds over 204 mph!!

Boarder
2/12/2011, 08:59 PM
Most bizarre racing ever with the two car packs.

texaspokieokie
2/13/2011, 09:15 AM
Busch series (nationwide, whatever) has done it right with the cars that look somewhat like the street counterpart.

don't understand this, most don't even have a "street counterpart".
on the street, they're all 4-doors with mostly v-6 engines.

i've heard that in the early days, some drivers drove cars to the track & raced them. of course, they were poor or made more money by bootlegging.
(also, i don't know if this is true)

Curly Bill
2/13/2011, 10:19 AM
Bud Shootout this weekend, Daytona 500 next Sunday!

Anyone else excited!?!? :D

No! Haven't been excited about NASCAR for a long time now.

JLEW1818
2/13/2011, 11:41 AM
I'm ready for some Daytona

texaspokieokie
2/14/2011, 10:42 AM
Junior's on the pole !!!

OKLA21FAN
2/14/2011, 11:07 AM
Most bizarre racing ever with the two car packs.

chain racing!!!!! :pop:

GrapevineSooner
2/14/2011, 11:31 AM
Junior's on the pole !!!

Starting position in the past normally meant nothing.

But with the new 'it takes two to tango but there's a crowd that won't get you anywhere on the track' and with the fact the lead pack broke off from the secondary pack and left them behind at the end of the Shootout, I think starting position is going to be a lot more important this year.

So good for Junior and Jeff to be starting on the front row.

Boarder
2/14/2011, 11:49 AM
Starting position in the past normally meant nothing.

But with the new 'it takes two to tango but there's a crowd that won't get you anywhere on the track' and with the fact the lead pack broke off from the secondary pack and left them behind at the end of the Shootout, I think starting position is going to be a lot more important this year.

So good for Junior and Jeff to be starting on the front row.

I bet it changes back with the new rules that heat up the cars quicker. And, Harvick said he had started hitting his rev limiter toward the end and thats why they couldn't catch back up. Apparently some had limiters in and some didn't. It should be an interesting race and I do like the starting row. It's strange to see something other than DuPont (special event paint jobs not withstanding).

don't understand this, most don't even have a "street counterpart".
on the street, they're all 4-doors with mostly v-6 engines.

i've heard that in the early days, some drivers drove cars to the track & raced them. of course, they were poor or made more money by bootlegging.
(also, i don't know if this is true)

I thought about this a bit. First, the cars this year look better in cup. They redid the front end and made them look more carlike. Especially the Dodges. In nationwide, they do look a lot like the real cars. I wish chevy would use a camaro rather than an impala, but oh well.

But, look at other sports. We watch and admire NBA players, but for the most part they are freaks of nature who have skills we can only dream about. Sure, we can play a pickup game, but the pro level is so far away from us it's insane. Same with football, baseball, golf, etc. We wear jerseys, but a game football jersey is a bizarre stretchy thing that is nothing like a replica. I know its not quite the same, but it is similar (NASCAR cars vs showroom cars). They have gone to safety more. Sure, it was cool when you could go buy a Superbird that was basically the same as the one running Daytona (except with all the seats, etc). But those days are gone.

texaspokieokie
2/15/2011, 08:54 AM
I bet it changes back with the new rules that heat up the cars quicker. And, Harvick said he had started hitting his rev limiter toward the end and thats why they couldn't catch back up. Apparently some had limiters in and some didn't. It should be an interesting race and I do like the starting row. It's strange to see something other than DuPont (special event paint jobs not withstanding).

I thought about this a bit. First, the cars this year look better in cup. They redid the front end and made them look more carlike. Especially the Dodges. In nationwide, they do look a lot like the real cars. I wish chevy would use a camaro rather than an impala, but oh well.

But, look at other sports. We watch and admire NBA players, but for the most part they are freaks of nature who have skills we can only dream about. Sure, we can play a pickup game, but the pro level is so far away from us it's insane. Same with football, baseball, golf, etc. We wear jerseys, but a game football jersey is a bizarre stretchy thing that is nothing like a replica. I know its not quite the same, but it is similar (NASCAR cars vs showroom cars). They have gone to safety more. Sure, it was cool when you could go buy a Superbird that was basically the same as the one running Daytona (except with all the seats, etc). But those days are gone.
alls i'm sayin is, quit callin em "stock-cars".
if they callem "camaros", they'd still be the same cars.
of course, camaros are 2 doors with v-8s available. could also callem mustangs & challengers.
they fixed the daytona track, & now the cars are too fast. can't win.

texaspokieokie
2/18/2011, 08:51 AM
Junior's on the pole !!!

well, the most popular driver screwed that up. now he gets to start last.

btk108
2/18/2011, 09:06 AM
Shake and Bake!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L7B6GyFBELg/TQA9LCpg5FI/AAAAAAAAJwI/OecWvHpKers/s1600/shake+n+bake.jpg

OULenexaman
2/18/2011, 11:15 AM
Junior is washed up.....he's a has been. I can't wait for this nationwide race tomorrow.....so we can see what happens with 43 out there. Go Smoke!!

lexsooner
2/19/2011, 01:32 PM
Whenever I hear NASCAR arranged a phantom yellow flag for debris near the end of a race when the wrong driver is winning, I can't help but think of the similarities to WWF pro wrasslin tag team matches when one guy is about to win, but the opponent's partner or promoter interferes from outside the ring. This happens enough that it is not purely by chance. I'm afraid because of this and other hokey crap, I just can't consider NASCAR a legitimate sport.

bluedogok
2/19/2011, 07:23 PM
The "racing season" started a few weeks ago for me with the 24 Hours of Daytona, I watch Nascar until the other series that I am interested in start up.

World Superbike starts this weekend, Formula 1 may have their season delayed by the unrest in Bahrain.

StoopTroup
2/20/2011, 04:29 PM
Is it OK for NASCAR to use the word "Digger"?

texaspokieokie
2/21/2011, 08:57 AM
Is it OK for NASCAR to use the word "Digger"?

in what context ??

texaspokieokie
2/21/2011, 08:58 AM
so the 20 yr old wins, but doesn't get points.
anybody know why ???

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2011, 12:04 PM
Because at the beginning of the year, he classified his primary series as the Nationwide Series.

I think the Wood Brothers still get to keep their owner points from the race. But since they were only planning on running in 17 races this year anyway, I don't know how much of a difference that'll make on them making the top 35 in points.

Jacie
2/21/2011, 01:20 PM
A glance at the standings shows that four other drivers are not collecting points for Daytona . . .

It was a weird one to watch, seeing the cars hooked together in pairs, nose-to-tail and a recipe for wrecks, wrecks and more wrecks judging by the record number of caution flags. Junior's car was the one giving the push on at least two of those, where the lead car did something the guy in back was not expecting, in the latter stages of the race, one when he was the tail end of a four-car train. He got lucky on that one because he managed to bolt passed half a dozen other cars, three of which got caught up in it.

What the teams need to do now is figure out how to keep the trailing car from overheating so they won't have to switch positions as much and the resulting loss of speed.

And did anyone else notice, Dave Blaney actually lead a lap? Did he change teams or has the one he is with decide to race instead of start-and-park?

texaspokieokie
2/28/2011, 09:07 AM
Glad to see Jeff Gordon win one. been almost 2 yrs.
he'll soon be #3 overall in no. of wins.

Junior did well (for him), finished 10th.

GrapevineSooner
2/28/2011, 01:24 PM
Glad to see Jeff Gordon win one. been almost 2 yrs.
he'll soon be #3 overall in no. of wins.

Junior did well (for him), finished 10th.

I did a fist pump in the car in the Kroger parking lot as he crossed the finish line.

After all those close calls last year, hopefully karma swings a few more his way this year, giving him the necessary momentum to FINALLY get championship #5.

Also, I find it very interesting how Gordon has "won" fans over after all these years.

I went to my first Nascar race in November of 2009. Junior got the biggest cheers, Gordon got the second most, then Smoke got the third most...Jimmy got the most boos and it was led by the Jeff Gordon contingent of fans in our section on the back stretch.

And as you Nascar fans know, this is the race where Jimmy crashed on the third lap of the race.

The spot where his car finally came to a rest was right in front of our section. And as soon as it did, the whole section exploded in cheers.

texaspokieokie
2/28/2011, 05:04 PM
sounds like a bunch of real redneck dumb asses.

texaspokieokie
2/28/2011, 05:07 PM
Don't know why anyone would "boo" Jimmy. he seems like a "plain vanilla" but nice guy. all he does is win !!!!